Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BES10 and Groupwise

I can't seem to find any real info on this though I think I know what the answer will be.

Currently we are using an older BES 4 server with Groupwise 8. I've been asked by upper management to look into upgrading to BES10 since they want there shiny new Z10s as soon as possible. I haven't been able to find much info regarding an upgrade path or if BES10 is even capable of integrating with Groupwise. Could someone shed some light in this for me?

Global Posts
    5,870 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Interesting you should ask. My shop is in the process of doing this right now.

The good news: yes, BES10 works with GroupWise. There's a connector that basically translates GW into ActiveSync, and BES10 just manages the relationship between your mobile units and that connector as if it were an Exchange server.

The bad news: I do believe you'll have to upgrade to the current version of GroupWise server in order to be able to connect.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    CrackBerry Newbie

I was actually just talking with someone at Novell about this today as well. If you are running on OES, there will also be an update early summer that will add additional LDAP support for BES 10 on OES. And once the BrainShare sessions from last week are available on the web, look for PRT161, as that session had a lot of info re BES 10 and GroupWise.

Danita
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Kris
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    CrackBerry User

Actually you need Active Directory to add users to the BES 10 Server.
    We also use OES2 and OES11 with GroupWise 2012.
    We are going to upgrade our BES 4.1.7 to the latest BES 5 (BES 4.x isnt supportet with GW 2012) for our older BB devices and we will
    install also a BES 10 Server for BB 10 devices.
    We will install on the BES 10 Server an Active Directory until Edirectory or LDAP is supported.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Interesting you should ask. My shop is in the process of doing this right now.
    The bad news: I do believe you'll have to upgrade to the current version of GroupWise server in order to be able to connect.
    Can't speak for BES 10, but the Novell Datasynchronizer (offering active sync functionality) will work with Groupwise 8.02 and higher. Sadly trouble shooting connection problems was nicer on BES 5.0x (than on Novell DS)

Torsten
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi All,

We have BES 10 and Novell Groupwise 2012, both are installed on windows server 2008 r2. There's novell data synchronizer however its only supported on OES, is there anyone who has manage to have success with the same setup we have or novell will release data synchronizer for windows? any info will help

Thanks a lot
    CrackBerry Newbie

sorry, novell won't be releasing mobility for windows. that said, I'm 99% sure you get a sles (you install it on sles, not oes) license with groupwise to allow you to install mobility. it's a fairly straightforward install and if you can make it through a BB10 install, it should be no problem.

groupwise is groupwise, no matter the platform so this configuration should run just fine.
    CrackBerry Newbie

will the Z10 be adaptable to my work server/groupwise 8