Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fatboy40
  • 1 Post By jayl1ma
  • 1 Post By jayl1ma
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BES 10.2.2 Activating BB 10 Devices with Vodafone

Hi,

I have bes 10.2.2 with EZ silver licences for activiting EMM corporate and workspace on devices. The mobile tariff bolt on's I've used are just smartphone 1Gb of data. Works fine for personal and corporate email configured with activesync profile on BES 10.

My service provider has said thatI should not be using standard smartphone data bolt on but should keep existing BES Tariff bolt on the bb 10 numbers in order to benefit the security & compression of data that BES 5 provided as the standard smartphone data bolt on will not compress bb 10 devices running through BES 10.2.2 nor will the data be as secure because smartphone data bolt on uses Wap APN.

Can anyone confirm this is true?
    That data will be compressed with bes tariff for bb 10 devices connected through BES 10.2.2?

Are there any issues with using BES Tariff on BB 10 devices connected to BES 10.2.2 compared to just using smart phone data bolt package as there is quite a significant price difference between the two bolt on tariffs.

Regards

Hope this makes sense and look forward to your response

Global Posts
    33,325 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Can any Vodafone users help here?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

I'm smelling BS from Vodafone there, we use them for some of our BB 10 / BES 10 users in the UK and the APN used is the standard 'internet' one...

Vodafone APN Settings | Geek Squad

... Vodafone themselves may be employing some type of compression and acceleration on traffic over this APN itself but it's nothing BlackBerry specific, with your BB10 devices it's BES 10 that's handling this for you (although the level of compression is reduced and some apps, e.g. Facebook, will not compress at all).

I think it's safe to say here what they're really trying to do is bluff you into an additional bolt on as you're using your EZ Pass licensing so they're loosing revenue !. Just use your EZ Pass Silver licenses and the 'internet' APN and there should be no issues.

One of the big benefits of BB / BES 10 for me is that you no longer need any BlackBerry specific bolt ons / items on your contract / tariff as long as you have the correct BES 10 licensing. You can purchase licensing yourself, which is what we do (we have an account with a distributor so we massively undercut the carrier), or you can purchase it annually from your carrier / mobile provider.
    Thanked by:
    pkcable (07-22-2014) 
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for your responses.

After further searching and speaking to another mobile service provider, it's kind of semi clear now!!
    BES 10.2.2
    with silver licenses - Blackberry Balance - Blackberry Corporate EMM licensing covering android/IOS / Blackberry 10 devices only requires as you have pointed out standard smartphone data bolt on. This will allow activation of corporate email through BES 10 and the security features going through port 3101 on BES 10.

Gold Licenses allowing Blackberry Emm corporate with (regulated Workspace) requires Dedicated BES bolt on tariff similar if not the same as BES 5 bolt on Tariff. Through this activation Blackberry 10 devices running through BES 10.2.2 will have increased security similar to that of BES 5 and including similar data compression.

Hope this helps! Correct me if I'm wrong
    Thanked by:
    pkcable (07-22-2014) 
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayl1ma View Post
    Gold Licenses allowing Blackberry Emm corporate with (regulated Workspace) requires Dedicated BES bolt on tariff similar if not the same as BES 5 bolt on Tariff. Through this activation Blackberry 10 devices running through BES 10.2.2 will have increased security similar to that of BES 5 and including similar data compression.

Hope this helps! Correct me if I'm wrong
    Happy to help, however your statement about Gold is not correct.

You do not need any sort of specific tariff with your carrier for a Gold / Workspace Only type of BES 10 activation, all you need is for your BES 10 server to have the correct Gold licenses applied to it and available, either annual or perpetual Gold ones.

You may be lucky and have a relationship with a supplier or distributor where you can actually purchase the Gold licenses directly through them, totally bypassing the carrier and getting them much cheaper. The carriers seem to be spreading this myth about you needing a specific BES 10 tariff as a means of generating revenue (they could make a small profit from BIS and BES 5 but no so much from BES 10).

As mentioned above it is possible to source the Gold licenses yourself, which is what I do purchasing them from ****** ***** at approx 55 for a perpetual Gold, however this is what the carrier does...

1: Implies that you need specific BES 10 Gold licensing, which is annual at maybe 110 GBP, as part of this they'll also provide a basic level of BES support.
    2: They purchase the annual Gold license from a disitributor, which only costs them around 25 to 30 GBP
    3: They receive the annual license key from the distributor and then forward this key onto you.
    4: 12 months later you pay them the 110 GBP again.

... so if you don't have to make any support calls to them they make a good profit !.

BlackBerry themselves are absolutely doing the right thing here, they're changing the BES licensing so that it's more transparent and probably closer to other MDM solutions which is what they want BES to become (a market leading cross platform MDM solution if possible, fingers crossed for BSE 12 !).
    Thanked by:
    jayl1ma (07-30-2014) 
    CrackBerry Master

At some point in BlackBerrys "we are not really sure how to make an easy license program"-show, there was actually a special BB10 subscription for regulated environments. The carriers did not like it, because they had to handle a special SKU just for this purpose.

Just go for a standard dataplan - it works with BB10 devices as well as SwS for iOS/Android.
    I'm not sure how regulated is handled, but from the OP it's not relevant.
    Thanked by:
    jayl1ma (07-30-2014) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpvj View Post
    ... I'm not sure how regulated is handled, but from the OP it's not relevant.
    Gold license all the way for that
    Thanked by:
    jayl1ma (07-30-2014) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thank you all as ever for the clear detailed responses providing understanding,
    yeah service providers can be sharks. I did do a test by having standard data smartphone plan having an email attachment sent to the bb10 device & then I changed the plan with the service provider to bes5 bolt on only, removing the smartphone data plan and having the same attachment from the same email address sending the same attachment. There was no change in size of the attachment received on BB 10 device from using both data bolt either bes 5 or smartphone . Therefore as you''ve said you'd be paying more for the bes 5 bolt on tariff for no benefit.

Thanks again
    Fatboy40 likes this.