Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smoothrunnings
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anyone try BES10 yet?

I spent a few hours today trying my best to install the new BES10

It was a horrible experience. Looks like only pieces of documentation were posted so I ran in circles for a while.

I feel like a complete and utter ***** at this point. Each and every install failed in their own way with no good reasons as to why.

Anyone try testing it out yet and have any luck?

CrackBerry Genius

Having installed Mobile Fusion 6 and got it all to work. There is lots of documentation and tutorials on how to installing and configuring BES 10. Even a step by step with screen shots. There is some reading to do, but once you do that, it works great. But if you are not a network administrator, you might not want to attempt it. It is designed for network admins who know about servers, firewalls, ports, services, certificates and SSL.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

Still waiting for my software, filled out the form.

From my reading, it seemed pretty simple for an environment already on BES 5...your experience gives me some concern.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Please keep in mind I AM completely new to all of this. New to BES (beyond normal user/device management) and have no experience with Fusion.

So please, don't be concerned because I failed to make it work!

I have noticed more documentation has been posted and I'll have to spend some time reading over the next few days.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

Well, thinking back I did have a heck of a time getting BES 3.5 installed for the first time, when we moved over from using Blackberries (old pager style) on Wireless Knowledge. Most BES Admins probably have never heard of that

Of course for this we're not going with a full SQL server like I do on BES 5, just Express. I currently only have one user that I know of that's upgrading, me.

Just got my download, will see how this goes.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Can't install ilt !!!

I got a message before the install saying :
    The installation path is too long.

But can't change the installation path...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    PM if you really need it...

Any updates regarding the issues with the path too long during installation ? Exact same issue here and can't change the path.... It's greyed out.
    CrackBerry User

Default Anyone try BES10 yet?

My experience with Z10 and BES10 (BDS6.2) installation - co-exist with BES5.0.3

Hello, I thought I would write about my experience with Z10 phone and my Bes10 Installation(Blackberry Device Service). We have legacy 5.0.3 with many users still using non z10 phones. I've been testing the Z10 and, just today installed BES10.

BES10 server installation was pretty straight forward. There are a few gotcha's but nothing catastrophic.

You won't be able to download the software immediately - they will send you an email after you complete the electronic order form.

When you get the email you will get a link to the software download as well as some trial license keys - KEEP THIS WITH YOUR SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD IN A TEXT FILE SO YOU CAN ACCESS THEM ON THE SERVER!

Extract the installation files locally to the server - something like "BES10_Extracted".

Make sure you have BDS installation documentation ready to consult during install. http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...n_Guide_en.pdf

As I had 5.0.3 installed already, I used the same service account for BES10.

Be logged on with the service account you will use.

Do not start and leave the installation as your rdp session may time out and you'll have a partially completed install on the go - do this one in one sitting. (generally good advice anyway).
    Grant BES service account "Log on as a service" rights to the server as it doesn't have it even if local admin.(page 23)
    I installed all components on 1 server.
    I installed database on same remote sql server as my 5.0.3 so my service account already had SQL rights: "dbcreator server role". (page 24)
    Near the start of the install wizard you are asked whether your database will be local or remote - I chose remote - but you are NOT asked to define the server name or database and the wizard doesn't advise you that it will request that later...
    Wizard will advise you that you will not be able to select dynamic port for SQL server so select default and port will auto-populate (1433).
    There is also a reboot which is NOT listed in the Installation Documentation.
    After the reboot you log in with the same server account.
    I got the error: "Windows cannot find 'Modules\BDS\Setup.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again"
    Hmmm...I then located the suspect module setup.exe in the extracted installation source files: YourextractedLocation\bundle0030\Modules\BDS\setup .exe and ran it manually as administrator.

Now the installation continues and you will be able to set your remote SQL Server, I used the default database name as it's different than BES5.0.3 (BDSMgmt).

I chose create database as as my BES service account has dbcreator rights everything went smoothly and database was created.

Now the biggest problem I encountered (not too bad but just bad design...). The wizard will prompt you for srp keys, cal keys etc....all of which can be found in the license information you got in step 3 above. I have decoded the wizard field requirements at the end of this post.
    I liked the "Test the BlackBerry Device Service installation" section on page 36.

Before Activating any users you have to create an email profile in BAS10. You can create users in BAS but with no email profile they will activate successfully on their device but no email will flow. No corporate email will show in the hub.

Add email profile in BAS by going to: Blackberry Solution Management, Profiles, Create an email profile with your mail server details.
    Add users and apply the Email profile in the same new user screen (at the bottom).

I was able to activate my Z10 with no problem, in fact it was VERY FAST!

LICENSE INFORMATION FROM BLACKBERRY
    Product Download Available
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 - 60 Day Trial (20 user)
    Quantity: 1
    Download
    BlackBerry Device Service version 6
    Number 1 of 1
    Serial Number: XXXXXXXXX
    License Key: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Universal Device Service version 6
    Number 1 of 1
    Serial Number: XXXXXXXXX (In BES10 Installation, This is SRP Identfier)
    License Key: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (In BES10 Installation, This is SRP Authentication Key)

BES10 EMM Standard for BlackBerry v10.0 - Trial License (20 user)
    Number 1 of 1
    CAL ID: XXXXXXXXXXX
    CAL Authentication Key: XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX (In BES10 installation, this is the CAL Key)

BES10 EMM Standard for iOS and Android v10.0 - Trial License (20 user)
    Number 1 of 1
    CAL ID: XXXXXXXXXXX
    CAL Authentication Key: XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

BES admin, BB lover
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    883 Global Posts

I had mobile fusion running with Besx 5.0.3 on one server and installed BDS 6 on another vm for playbook management. It works pretty well. I recently upgraded to bds 6.2 (bes 10) and the upgrade was straight forward and works really well.

The only difference that i can see is when activating devices, vs besx 5.0.3, is you now require a server address which took me forever the first time to figure out where to find it.

We use a very limited policy setup which ensures passwords on activated devices but found its working very well.
    --- Sent From Mobile Device While on the Can! ---
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,636 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post

It was a horrible experience. Looks like only pieces of documentation were posted so I ran in circles for a while.

I feel like a complete and utter ***** at this point. Each and every install failed in their own way with no good reasons as to why.

I recommend you buy t-support with your BES10 as you'll need it. We have done this and had RIM support install BES10 for us as the documentation for BES10 isn't accurate. Also most of RIM's support engineers aren't qualified in BES10 has they have not done any of the formal training.

RIM has had to completely blow away our BES10 setup and reinstall it from scratch three times because the documentation and the installation wizard turned out to be invalid. But now we have everything but the universal component working and are still waiting for RIM to get back to us (the ticket is still open with them) to get it working. It's taken us 4 good working days to get to this point.

It looks like we might seen BES 10.1 yet before its quantifiable as a working product.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    883 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
    I recommend you buy t-support with your BES10 as you'll need it. We have done this and had RIM support install BES10 for us as the documentation for BES10 isn't accurate. Also most of RIM's support engineers aren't qualified in BES10 has they have not done any of the formal training.

RIM has had to completely blow away our BES10 setup and reinstall it from scratch three times because the documentation and the installation wizard turned out to be invalid. But now we have everything but the universal component working and are still waiting for RIM to get back to us (the ticket is still open with them) to get it working. It's taken us 4 good working days to get to this point.

It looks like we might seen BES 10.1 yet before its quantifiable as a working product.
    It took me more time to setup and install the vm then it did to get bes 10 working.

But we are running exchange 2003 with 100 employees.
    --- Sent From Mobile Device While on the Can! ---
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

It's generally an easy install, there are only a couple of things that are potential gotchas:
    1. Your Exchange system must have Activesync published on the internal network as well as externally. Your device tunnels into your network via BDS and accesses Activesync from within.
    2. The BDS has to be able to talk to the BB infrastructure on port 3101 (if you have a rule set up for BES5 you can just extend it to the new server as well.
    3. Set the server up logged on as the service account you created - and remember you will need to give rights for it to create the database on your SQL server (you can take the create rights away after).
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

The process to install takes less than an hour (BDS and BES10 admin window, I dont bother with UDS as the moment). Read the documentation in full before trying to install and you will be good to go (same goes for any version of BES).

*moved to BES10 forum*
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry User

As Sith said, very simple install. If installing BDS & UDS on the same server, read the preparation document before you install to save yourself time (need to change ports as there are conflicts)
    I am a Mobile Device Management consultant, focusing primarily on BlackBerry Enterprise Server with Exchange & Lotus Domino e-mail.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,636 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post

I just posted a thread on how to install all the BES 10 component onto a single server. If you follow the KB completely and as BBRY says you will end up with a single server running all the services without any issue. However I do recommend if you working for a company that is planning to run BES 10 that you also buy T-Support, without T-Support it's simply madness, its like buying the car without the keys.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,636 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline_x View Post
    It took me more time to setup and install the vm then it did to get bes 10 working.

Having Exchange 2003 shouldn't matter as long as you are 110% certain that your ActiveSync is working. BBRY (RIM) claims BES10 will work with Exchange 2003 but we all know just how well ActiveSync works on Exchange 2003 compared to 2007 and 2010.

You should really upgrade that server since I believe its past its end of support from Microsoft!?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

The installation of BES10 is straightforward with one glaring oversight on the part of BlackBerry. The documentation does not state that BES10 only supports IPv4; the installation works with IPv4 and IPv6 enabled but the BlackBerry Administration Service Web Console will not let you login until IPv6 has been disabled. To be honest, BlackBerry's documentation has never been stellar. The good news is once installed, BES10 is easier to configure for device activation than prior versions of BlackBerry Enterprise Server, and BlackBerry Balance is much improved.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default bes 10 the installation path is too long

I have the same issue, is any one solve it?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,636 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline_x View Post

Sounds like you need more experience setting up VMs. Takes me no more than 2 hours to setup server 2008 R2 on a new slice with all the patches installed, joined to the domain, etc.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,636 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kill_9 View Post
    The installation of BES10 is straightforward with one glaring oversight on the part of BlackBerry. The documentation does not state that BES10 only supports IPv4; the installation works with IPv4 and IPv6 enabled but the BlackBerry Administration Service Web Console will not let you login until IPv6 has been disabled. To be honest, BlackBerry's documentation has never been stellar. The good news is once installed, BES10 is easier to configure for device activation than prior versions of BlackBerry Enterprise Server, and BlackBerry Balance is much improved.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    Providing IPv4 is the main protocol being used IPv6 can be enabled, and BES10 will install.