Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Z10/Q10: BIS & Push Email with Bell

BB forums are full of conflicting information about the availability of BIS with BB 10 devices. It seems to depend on which carrier you are with. How does it look with Bell?

1) Is BIS available? The main advantages are data compression and reliable push email.

2) Is the customer forced to change Bell email address from:

myname@bell.blackberry.net

to:

myname@bell.net

3) If BIS is not available, does Bell offer it's own push email or do we need to rely on some unpredictable third party solution like Gmail Active Sync?

4) Is BIS going to be phased out for customers who have BlackBerries running os 7 or older?

No data compression, no solid push email and forced email address change would likely prevent some current BB users from upgrading to Z10/Q10 if they can keep all those features by simply sticking to an os 7 device.
    BB 8830 WE, OS 4.5.0.169, DM 5.0.0.11, Bell Canada BIS, Windows XP-SP3
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Some people from the CrackBerry teak have written up some good articles to your exact question. First one would be the post Adam wrote about BIS and BlackBerry 10. Then recently Bla1ze wrote a pice on the BlackBerry email and how it is going to be set up on BlackBerry 10. Hopefully this solves your questions.
    Zach Gilbert

Twitter: @Zachgilbert

Doing my best to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks Zach. I've done a bit of research and it seems that Bell Canada offers BIS with Z10, at least in Toronto area. This is good news for long time BB users who got accustomed to BIS.

Bell is actually going a step further and is not signing up anybody on a Z10 plan without BIS. Other Canadian carriers are said to offer non-BIS plans, but not Bell.

Bell's approach, while convenient for those who are simply upgrading from an older BB, is met with some skepticism on the part of customers who are migrating from Android/iOS, as some BB BIS plans are apparently more expensive than Samsung/iPhone plans.

If the above information is correct, the only unanswered question from my original post is:

Assuming that you have Z10 BIS plan with Bell, are you still forced to change your carrier email address from:

to:

myname@bell.net
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    18,652 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkx View Post
    Thanks Zach. I've done a bit of research and it seems that Bell Canada offers BIS with Z10, at least in Toronto area. This is good news for long time BB users who got accustomed to BIS.

Bell is actually going a step further and is not signing up anybody on a Z10 plan without BIS. Other Canadian carriers are said to offer non-BIS plans, but not Bell.

Bell's approach, while convenient for those who are simply upgrading from an older BB, is met with some skepticism on the part of customers who are migrating from Android/iOS, as some BB BIS plans are apparently more expensive than Samsung/iPhone plans.

If the above information is correct, the only unanswered question from my original post is:

Assuming that you have Z10 BIS plan with Bell, are you still forced to change your carrier email address from:

to:

myname@bell.net
    Hey...I'm with Bell also, are you sure it's BIS? I was explained it was a link through BB's NOC with and extra layer of encryption...so much confusion over this...wish someone would just fess up and say what it is for real! Is Bell taking advantage of customers? Is Bell really providing service through NOC? WHAT'S THE STORY?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Shanerredflag
    ..... are you sure it's BIS? ...
    Absolutely not sure. I've just had a chat with a few Bell reps, but they could all be wrong. I don't have Z10 myself, waiting for Q10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkx View Post

to:

myname@bell.net
    So they should not be putting people on BIS plans, they are just causing Bell to lose money. Maybe they are getting a spiff (money) by placing people on a BIS plan. Not sure. But only BlackBerry devices running OS 7.1 or earlier will use BIS. Placing a BlackBerry 10 device on BIS does nothing to benefit the end consumer.

As for the email question, you will have to migrate that email address away from a BlackBerry email. BlackBerry is giving everyone 1yr of forwarding as people male the change. So yea, you'll need to switch that email account. There's no way to get it on your Z10.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Zach Gilbert

Twitter: @Zachgilbert

Doing my best to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry!