Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Elite1
  • 1 Post By wxmancanada
  • 1 Post By wxmancanada
  • 1 Post By Reckage
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,052 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Why would anyone join up with one of the Big Three?

I'm with Virgin Mobile and have a very competitive (by today's standards) rate plan.

My contract is up and I'm considering a new device (the Galaxy Note III in fact... not to replace my Z10, but just because it would be subsidized).

So I go on to Virgin Mobile's site and don't see the Note III so I go on Bell's site and while they do offer the device, their rate plans are mind-boggling expensive.

Is it possible to switch carriers nowadays without seeing your rate plan almost double?

Why is it that anyone would blithely walk into a Bell or Telus or Rogers store and sign up for one of their plans? Is it the case that if you go into a carrier store that there are much better deals to be had that just aren't publicized?

I feel like any attempt to get a subsidized device AND a competitive rate in 2013 is an exercise in futility, and I should put the notion of device subsidies out of my mind forever.

Are there secrets I'm just not privy to, or is it that the big three realize that they already have all the customers they're going to get, and they just collude and pass customers back and forth every few years, so they're not even trying any more?
    something something something BlackBerry 10 Slider something something something complete....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,937 Global Posts

All phone carriers are evil. Get over it. I'm with Fido and got gouged when I bought my Q10 for $350--but what choice did I have? I couldn't buy outright, and Rogers/Fido is the only carrier that I get service with, and going with Rogers would have been even more expensive. Oh well. I still got a great phone.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10

Global Posts
    13,839 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

There are secrets you're not privy to!

Seriously...

You need to get hold of their Loyalty Dept. Well, Telus calls it Loyalty but not 100% sure what Bell calls it. These people have access to rates that regular customer service schmos don't. At Telus for example, they can offer features like free Telus to Telus calls, free incoming calls, earlier start times for evenings & weekends, better deals to finish a contract early and start a new one, etc.

Start by calling Bell customer service, and see what they can offer. Be clear that you need the best plan possible or won't switch. Don't start in a store. You need to speak love with someone on phone to get best deal.
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    eddy_berry likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,052 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
    You need to get hold of their Loyalty Dept.
    But how do you get a hold of the loyalty or "retentions" department if you're not already with a specific carrier.... and is there any hope for going into a carrier retailer OR is it better to go to something like Best Buy?
    something something something BlackBerry 10 Slider something something something complete....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Loyalty or retentions is only available to you if you are staying with the same carrier. Going to a new provider means you will pay market rates.

Posted via CB10

Wireless in Canada sucks these days. As for loyalty, most won't help you out until you're a customer for at least 6 months.

Why am I with one of the big 3? Coverage. I'm not paying roaming fees for going to the other side of the city.
    Thanked by:
    qwerty4ever (10-11-2013) 
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wxmancanada View Post
    Wireless in Canada sucks these days. As for loyalty, most won't help you out until you're a customer for at least 6 months.

Why am I with one of the big 3? Coverage. I'm not paying roaming fees for going to the other side of the city.
    How would you pay roaming fees for staying within Canada? If your carrier is not available would just say No Service. It's not like USA as I like to stay always connected so wouldn't mind roaming on other networks. But that's not the case in Canada or is it? I'm with Rogers.. When there's no coverage it's no service.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey1299 View Post
    How would you pay roaming fees for staying within Canada? If your carrier is not available would just say No Service. It's not like USA as I like to stay always connected so wouldn't mind roaming on other networks. But that's not the case in Canada or is it? I'm with Rogers.. When there's no coverage it's no service.
    Although this is true - you've missed the thread point. If you're not with one of the big three, you're with regional carriers like Wind. If you're with one of them and leave your "home" zone, you're "roaming" onto Rogers' (or others) network which incurs fees.

For anyone confused:
    Rogers owns Fido and Chatr
    Bell owns Virgin, Solo, Northwestel, Bell Aliant, Télébec, NorthernTel
    Telus owns Koodo.

Any other provider in Canada (ie Videotron, SaskTel) won't offer true nationwide coverage without roaming onto one of the big three networks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Although this is true - you've missed the thread point. If you're not with one of the big three, you're with regional carriers like Wind. If you're with one of them and leave your "home" zone, you're "roaming" onto Rogers' (or others) network which incurs fees.

For anyone confused:
    Rogers owns Fido and Chatr
    Bell owns Virgin, Solo, Northwestel, Bell Aliant, Télébec, NorthernTel
    Telus owns Koodo.

Any other provider in Canada (ie Videotron, SaskTel) won't offer true nationwide coverage without roaming onto one of the big three networks.
    Ya but how much would the fees would be? Not that much.. Make sure the data roaming off just in case it does roam.
    But for Rogers Telus and Bell that's doesn't happen.

Ya but how much would the fees would be? Not that much.. Make sure the data roaming off just in case it does roam.
    But for Rogers Telus and Bell that's doesn't happen.
    Again, missing the point. I have a cottage north of Kinston, Ontario. I'd be "roaming" every weekend I go up there. Wind and other carriers are great for those who never leave city limits.

This month I used 2.6 GB of data outside of Ottawa - If I was with Wind I would be paying $1/MB for data used outside of Ottawa. That means my "roaming" cost, for my cottage that's 2 hours away, would be $2,662. Hardly "not that much".

I also sent 114 texts while at the cottage. That's billed at 15 cents per message. There's another $17.10 in "roaming".

Oh, and I make voice calls too. Phones still do that. 2 hours (120 minutes) while "roaming" as well, add $24 to that bill.

Finally, you have to pay $40 for their base rate plan.

That's a grand total of $2703.10 for using my phone in the same country, 2 hours away from my home location. I'd gladly pay $150 a month for two phones with 6GB of Canada-wide data and calling on one of the big three.
    hockey1299 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Again, missing the point. I have a cottage north of Kinston, Ontario. I'd be "roaming" every weekend I go up there. Wind and other carriers are great for those who never leave city limits.

This month I used 2.6 GB of data outside of Ottawa - If I was with Wind I would be paying $1/MB for data used outside of Ottawa. That means my "roaming" cost, for my cottage that's 2 hours away, would be $2,662. Hardly "not that much".

I also sent 114 texts while at the cottage. That's billed at 15 cents per message. There's another $17.10 in "roaming".

Oh, and I make voice calls too. Phones still do that. 2 hours (120 minutes) while "roaming" as well, add $24 to that bill.

Finally, you have to pay $40 for their base rate plan.

That's a grand total of $2703.10 for using my phone in the same country, 2 hours away from my home location. I'd gladly pay $150 a month for two phones with 6GB of Canada-wide data and calling on one of the big three.
    Yea that a lot. But if you were on those networks you would keep data roaming OFF. And know about this There the huge bill saved. For phone calls and texts there cheap if you don't send many. But there is plans they offer. But overall Rogers etc.. Is much better.
    As usually you would be careful about sending or answering calls aboard but when even within your country that's not to good. So I prefer Rogers.
    CrackBerry Genius

I've been with Bell for over 8 years - think they'd let me keep a couple of promotional offers that saves me $22/mo on a $126 bill? Nope.

Sorry, sir, those promos have expired, can't do anything for you. But let me offer you one of our standard packages on the website...
    Register here to provide feedback to BlackBerry and help stop BB10 from becoming an Android clone!
    https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/
    CrackBerry Addict

I ranted about this very thing in one of today's blog posts.

I don't understand how the big three think people will pay $70 plus tax for 250 mb of data. They are going to lose customers. Maybe a lot of people will do it but some, like me, will not.

The girl I always(7 years now) deal with at my local Telus store told me that loyalty and retention will not budge on the $70 min thing.

I really want a Z30 and will probably end up buying it out right so I can keep my $55 6GB plan for at least the remaining 28 months of my 3 year contract.

I think these new plans on 2 year contracts are a slap in the face from the big three. Maybe the CRTC will step in and do something. I know I will never pay $140 plus tax for our two cell phones. I will go back to a dumb phone or get rid of my phone altogether first.

Posted via CBZ10 baby!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
    There are secrets you're not privy to!

Start by calling Bell customer service, and see what they can offer. Be clear that you need the best plan possible or won't switch. Don't start in a store. You need to speak love with someone on phone to get best deal.
    Haha I've heard that people can do this. OP go talk to bell and try and get in touch with someone in sales that could give you a similar plan at whatever lowest price they can offer. You might get lucky. Me on the other hand, a 12 year customer of Bell, is on his last year with Bell. I'll be one of those guys walking into another store, as most of the people that do are probably irate customers from a competitor. Bell can kiss my @ss but they might give you a good deal .Take it from me they love taking in new customers. Don't expect the world from any of the larger carriers but expect to at least get a good deal if you are switching. Tell them Rogers gave you a better deal if anything. LOL. But yeah, do shop around and good luck.

P.S. - It's actually called "retention dept." at bell because people aren't loyal to these crooks anymore. I'm with Bell and that department, in my case, is called the "Sorry, we can't do anything for you" dept.
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts

Yea that a lot. But if you were on those networks you would keep data roaming OFF. And know about this There the huge bill saved. For phone calls and texts there cheap if you don't send many. But there is plans they offer. But overall Rogers etc.. Is much better.
    As usually you would be careful about sending or answering calls aboard but when even within your country that's not to good. So I prefer Rogers.
    I'll save wxmancanada from saying it again, you're missing the point. Some people can get away with having their data off but others need it. They may go away every weekend yet still need to do some work. The point is Wind plans are good if you do not leave their area of coverage or can get away without data for a bit, but for others it turns out to be too expensive and have no choice but to go with one of the big three or their subsidiaries.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder2 View Post
    I'll save wxmancanada from saying it again, you're missing the point. Some people can get away with having their data off but others need it. They may go away every weekend yet still need to do some work. The point is Wind plans are good if you do not leave their area of coverage or can get away without data for a bit, but for others it turns out to be too expensive and have no choice but to go with one of the big three or their subsidiaries.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I understand. Just saying if you had to save on roaming charges.
    Banned

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JWWDUKE View Post
    I ranted about this very thing in one of today's blog posts.

I don't understand how the big three think people will pay $70 plus tax for 250 mb of data. They are going to lose customers. Maybe a lot of people will do it but some, like me, will not.
    I don't know where you're seeing those kinds of rates for data.. probably Koodo, Chatr, and Virgin.. the parent companies of those outfits (ie the Big 3) have far better rates. Or at least Bell does..
    Last edited by BennyX; 10-26-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Reading things like these, make you want to sayThanks simple mobile.

C001246E8
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    529 Global Posts

No idea how the big three plan to get more customers by their new prices.

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't recommend Bell.

http://m.citynews.ca/2013/10/22/bell...-mobile-usage/

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    Last edited by GSM-S; 10-28-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    CrackBerry User

I've been with Bell for about 10 years, I've never been on contract, I buy my phones at full price. Last month I called up customer service randomly and asked what they could do to lower my rate. They came back and said sure and gave me unlimited nationwide talk/text/MMS visual voice mail etc, and 6 gigs of data for 70$. Which was 40$ cheaper than I was paying. All because I said I was thinking of switching.

The trick is to do your homework. Call each provider get a quote and then play them against each other. If they really want your business they will give you want you want.

Also I would stay away from contracts as it eliminates your ability to leverage. If the phones are too expensive for you, buy a used one and unlock it.

Just my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    GSM-S (10-27-2013) 
    rarsen likes this.