CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Unlimited Mobile Browser?

Hey,

Bell offers a Unlimited Mobile Browser plan for $20. (Includes: Unlimited texts, free calls from 3-7 and unlimited mobile browsing.)

I spoke with a bell rep on the phone, and she said that the unlimited mobile browser (WAP? 2g?) doenst work with any blackberry (even if its unlocked). But since I've been misinformed before by a bell rep, I figured I'd ask here.

Does the unlimited mobile browser work on a blackberry storm 9530 that is unlocked?
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

No, the unlimited browser is for dumb phones that use WAP.

You will need to add one of their Blackberry Data packages.
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks man.

Aha, only if the storm had a WAP browser. It'd make poor people like me either happy or angry from slow speeds.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Bell does (or at least did) have a hidden unlimited BlackBerry data feature. When I was with Bell, they had a number of features/plans that you had to dig yourself to find. I found it using the BlackBerry browser on one of Bell's ads within their mobile site.

Try surfing the following URL using your BB browser: http://tinyurl.com/253yvmj
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Problem is, the storm doesnt have wifi. Nor do I have a data plan. So I can't surf. (And I haven't got the phone yet. I either am getting it, or getting a Curve 8530 that has a bad ESN but was flashed.)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Wait. I did a lookup on google, and its saying that the Storm 9350 has a WAP browser. Does that mean I could use Bell's unlimited mobile browsing package? (As I previously spoke about.)

Fubaz stated that that option is for phones that have WAP, but if the unlocked storm has WAP, doesnt that mean I could use it on the unlocked storm?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by lythinca View Post
    Wait. I did a lookup on google, and its saying that the Storm 9350 has a WAP browser. Does that mean I could use Bell's unlimited mobile browsing package? (As I previously spoke about.)

Fubaz stated that that option is for phones that have WAP, but if the unlocked storm has WAP, doesnt that mean I could use it on the unlocked storm?
    Not quite sure why you're mentioning unlocking, as in the case of the Storm, only a Bell one will work with Bell, since Bell doesn't have GSM (and the Storm only works on CDMA/EVDO & GSM, and not on HSPA).

Anyhow, my dad has a Bell Storm 9350, and I was unable to find a way to modify the TCP settings within Options --> Advanced. If you're able to do that, you might be able to surf via WAP.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lythinca View Post

Regardless if its unlocked or not the only way to get a blackberry browser working is to have a data plan. Unlimited mobile browsing will not work as the plan will not have access to Blackberry service books.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by aznlgcy View Post
    Regardless if its unlocked or not the only way to get a blackberry browser working is to have a data plan. Unlimited mobile browsing will not work as the plan will not have access to Blackberry service books.
    What about 3rd party browsers like Opera that run via TCP/IP though, I suspect they'll work without a BlackBerry data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    What about 3rd party browsers like Opera that run via TCP/IP though, I suspect they'll work without a BlackBerry data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Will work only via wifi, but since the 9530 doesn't have wifi you would be SOL. I tried it before with my storm
    CrackBerry Abuser

Not sure if this helps but I have unlimited browsing on my Tour with Bell.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

If you have had your plan for awhile you may still have the $30 unlimited data plan that Bell used to offer. I think thats what you're referring to right? Cause as far as I'm aware the system takes off incompatible features like unlimited mobile browser for $15 and also the FUN 15 & 20 bundles
    CrackBerry Genius

I have unlimited data plan for my bb at $45.00
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,327 Global Posts

the plan you were quoted is for prepaid/pay-as-you-go... just dont know why you would go prepaid for BBs.
    Back from the depths!!!
    9000>>9950>>8530>>9810>>Z10>>iPhone 5>>Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Prepaid can be excellent for somebody visiting the country. I really like Rogers' undocumented Pay As You Go prepaid BlackBerry data plans that can be purchased for 24hrs or a week with respective amount of data for each (don't quite recall more specific details). Why it's undocumented however is beyond me. A bit of a tangent I know, but that's the main reason why I see prepaid BB plans making sense ;-)
    CrackBerry Addict

So i have an unlimited email and internet plan as well. Dying need of an cell upgrade. Called in cause my 3 years contract was up. The first guy told me that this plan doesnt exist any more and couldnt do anything for me. So i said okay thats fine. Lets cancel and ill go to another carrier. After being transfered instantaneously to a How can i help you refree, we tweaked my bill. Told him il think about it. Love to hear feed back plz and thank you on this plan.

Unlimted email and data
    500 daytime
    unlimted incoming
    after 6 free and weeeknds free
    unlimted text /pic/video send and received
    voice mail, call display,
    Also got them to remove that stupid, system access and 911 fee. Bugged me every month.

Total comes to $63.00 a month plus the goverment! Thoughts???

Cheers
    CrackBerry Abuser

Belus no longer charge the 911 for most provinces & system access fee at all.

Aside from that, I pay $65/mo getting almost the same plan as the one you mentioned, however instead of unlimited incoming calls I get unlimited calling to 10 numbers nationally, 200 daytime minutes instead of the 500 you're getting. My unlimited sent picture and text messages can be sent anywhere in the world while I'm in Canada without an extra charge. Oh, and I have 1 GB which seems to cover me fine. So my plan's a little bit different for a few extra bucks. However I find the 10 numbers to work better for me than unlimited incoming as I can use it where I am nationally to call people using my bud phone number ;-) 500 mins however isn't too bad of a trade-off, although if you're not in a bud phone area, you have to pay long-distance to call out of the area you're at.

BTW does your new plan come with a contract?

Hopefully I haven't confused you too much :-)
    CrackBerry Addict

Ya i hear ya. I have no long distance minutes. But honestly everyone i usually talk too is locally. So i think im okay with that. As for text messaging i know i can sent and receive them in the states no charge if im sending them form Canada. But havent tried over seas. Is that an Extra feature u have to put on? Your plan sounds sweet too. Was holding on to this plan for the unlimted data which i cant see my self using alot but nice to have. Makes sence? lol

And ohh ya they certainly wanted to charge me still for that system access fee! So its still around for some folks unfortunaltly! He told me he CANT get rid of it cause of my plan. But after a certain amount of firm talking with hesaid he found the code to take it off! hahahah Jokers i tell ya!
    Last edited by 007Storm; 01-10-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

As long as you don't travel much and most of your calls are local, then that plans sounds pretty good for you. And even if you do travel, if it's to more common cities/towns, you can still use Bud Phone to make free long-distance calls regardless of your plan ;-)

That's odd that they still wanted to charge you the service access fee. I understand if you wanted to keep your plan and it was a part of it, but if you look at any of their current official plans, none of them have it anymore (or at least that's been the case last several times I've checked).

BTW my plan has gone up $5 per month since I got it, so the one they're offering you is even cheaper than what my current plan would cost you. However if they're slapping it along with a contract, I don't know if it's as good a deal :-/ After all, I've regretted going on contract once, and it was enough for me, but to each their own :-)