Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. cant_decide's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Skype on Blackberry Torch or other BB?

    What about using skype on a blackberry??? I'm trying to decide what phone to get and am not that into the i-phone other than it's skype capabilities. I do a lot of long distance calling within Canada as well as the states and skype seems to be a great way to go without using your minutes.

    I see there is some sort of IM Skype app but it appears to use local minutes as well as data. I'd rather just use wifi.

    Any suggestions?
  2. aznlgcy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,038 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cant_decide View Post
    What about using skype on a blackberry??? I'm trying to decide what phone to get and am not that into the i-phone other than it's skype capabilities. I do a lot of long distance calling within Canada as well as the states and skype seems to be a great way to go without using your minutes.

    I see there is some sort of IM Skype app but it appears to use local minutes as well as data. I'd rather just use wifi.

    Any suggestions?
    Unfortunately there is no real skype app for Blackberry, there are some third party ones like the IMPlus but only the paid version does Skype.

    Just a warning through any phone you get.
    Bell and almost all Canadian carriers have it in their contract for no VOIP on their network and if caught they can terminate your contract and also be held resposible for the cancellation charges.
  3. joshb902's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    121 Posts
    PIN
    2802258d
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aznlgcy View Post
    Unfortunately there is no real skype app for Blackberry, there are some third party ones like the IMPlus but only the paid version does Skype.

    Just a warning through any phone you get.
    Bell and almost all Canadian carriers have it in their contract for no VOIP on their network and if caught they can terminate your contract and also be held resposible for the cancellation charges.
    actually there is a real skype app and there has been for like 2 years now, but for some reason it wont work up in canada, also they dont allow it on their networks but wifi is fair game
  4. aznlgcy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,038 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joshb902 View Post
    actually there is a real skype app and there has been for like 2 years now, but for some reason it wont work up in canada, also they dont allow it on their networks but wifi is fair game
    True but I don't really consider it as its only compatible with one carrier which is Verizon. Which is BS
  5. khoolguy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #5  

    Default Skype for Black Berry Torch 9850 from Verizon

    Quote Originally Posted by cant_decide View Post
    What about using skype on a blackberry??? I'm trying to decide what phone to get and am not that into the i-phone other than it's skype capabilities. I do a lot of long distance calling within Canada as well as the states and skype seems to be a great way to go without using your minutes.

    I see there is some sort of IM Skype app but it appears to use local minutes as well as data. I'd rather just use wifi.

    Any suggestions?
    Just got my new BB Torch 9850 from Verizon Wireless last week. Love it. Even though Skype Site does not show Black Torch 9850 just yet since its so new but Skype will work. From your device go to skype.com/m and install the Skype app and you are set.
  6. blackberry-unlocking710's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,244 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    On Verizon it's working, yes.
  7. khoolguy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I did not use Skype for a while but about two months ago started thinking about using and realized skype disappeared from Skype site for torch. Now today i decided to give it a try and its back again at Skype.com/m and skype is working great. Called my family in Pakistan on their cell and they called me back on my cell using skype and worked great and free and sound quality was like land line. They must be trying to keep it hush hush because skype is not available at app world. Love the app.

    Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 Verizon Wireless.
    Khoolguy
    Carrier Verizon Wireless
    Verizon BB 9850 Corp. User
  8. Mohamed Ahmed's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cant_decide View Post
    What about using skype on a blackberry??? I'm trying to decide what phone to get and am not that into the i-phone other than it's skype capabilities. I do a lot of long distance calling within Canada as well as the states and skype seems to be a great way to go without using your minutes.

    I see there is some sort of IM Skype app but it appears to use local minutes as well as data. I'd rather just use wifi.

    Any suggestions?

Posting Permissions