Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Running a BB and non-BB device on one Virgin SIM?

Hope this gets an answer as I'm trying to come back to BB.

When I was on Rogers with a BIS plan, the few times I used a non-BB phone with my Rogers SIM card, I was still able to have data.

I'm off Rogers now and with Virgin running a Galaxy S2. I'm trying to get a 9900 again as a second device and while I know I will have to switch my plan to a BIS one, I thought I could do so and run both the 9900 and S2 by just swapping SIM cards.

However, when I called Virgin they said if I was on a BIS plan, my SIM card wouldn't give me any data on my S2.

Since I don't want to give up my S2 completely, I'm hoping to double check if there is a way to share one SIM card across two devices (one BB and one Android).

So... has anyone have a BB on Virgin or Bell and use their SIM card on a non BB phone and still get data?

Hope so. Would like to try out those new bridge features.

Thanks in advance.

You wouldn't be able to use the SIM in both phones at once, but you can for sure pop the SIM from phone to phone with no issue.

I think the rep you spoke to was reading out of the book a bit too much. As with most carriers, including Virgin, BIS data is backward compatible with other devices, such as the S2 you mentioned. If you were to set yourself up with a BIS data plan, then pop the SIM into a non-BlackBerry device you would indeed still have data.

However, it doesn't work in reverse. You can't have a standard data plan and expect it to work with your BlackBerry.

This applies for Virgin, Bell, TELUS, Rogers, Fido, etc.
    Thanked by:
    Fr3lncr (02-22-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by wxmancanada View Post
    You wouldn't be able to use the SIM in both phones at once, but you can for sure pop the SIM from phone to phone with no issue.

I think the rep you spoke to was reading out of the book a bit too much. As with most carriers, including Virgin, BIS data is backward compatible with other devices, such as the S2 you mentioned. If you were to set yourself up with a BIS data plan, then pop the SIM into a non-BlackBerry device you would indeed still have data.

However, it doesn't work in reverse. You can't have a standard data plan and expect it to work with your BlackBerry.

This applies for Virgin, Bell, TELUS, Rogers, Fido, etc.
    That's what I thought... Was wondering why Rogers would actually be better than Virgin in that regard.

Guess I just have to check what it will cost me to switch to BIS plan. Hopefully NIL and then I just have to buy me a 9900.

Dying to try out the new remote features in Bridge.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

I'm doing it now with Bell and an iPhone.

I had to change the apn on my iPhone to pda.bell.ca - find out what the apn is for virgin and good to go.