Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How much will it cost to upgrade 9900 to 10 on Bell?

I'm currently on a 3 year contract with Bell on my 9900. I'm considering upgrading to 10 because I browse the net on my phone often and OS7 is horrible IMO. My question is: how much (estimated) will it cost for me to upgrade assuming the 10 comes out 1 year in my plan? What is I waited until my plan ended?

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using the CrackBerry Forums app

Global Posts
    32,216 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

There are threads guesstimating that cost. Without knowing the actual handset cost and what your carrier will subsidize, it is nothing but a guess. Prime handsets on most carriers are launching in the 200-250 dollar range in the US. So I'd expect at least that much.
    See a problem? Click the report button and tell us what it is!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720T* Galaxy S4
    Bacon is the duct tape for food!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,948 Global Posts

It will cost you a lot, Bell is strange when it comes to ETF. You're looking at about $20+data subsidy per month remaining on your contract, so you're looking at well over $700. Would probably just be cheaper to buy the phone outright than to try and get it subsidized.
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

~$20 per month left on the contract, with about 24 months left (if you say you will be one year into a three year contract) would be around $480 + taxes to cancel that contract. That would be if you are in Ontario.

In some other provinces there are laws that state the cancellation fee can only equal the pro-rated amount of your subsidy. So if your 9900 cost you $100 on a three-year contract, and the outright price was $600, your subsidy was $500. 2/3s of that (2 of your 3 years remain on the contract) is $333 to get out of the contract.

Depends where you live.

And then of course you would have to sign up for a new contract, and pay whatever the subsidized price is for the 10.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,574 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

Default Re: How much will it cost to upgrade 9900 to 10 on Bell?

Bell has a new program called early upgrade. If you qualify it's a one time charge on the bill or a $15 per month payback on the bill and it autopopulates the HUP in the system. You can check to see if you are eligible by logging into your mybell profile at bell.ca, or by going to a Bell retailer.

I work for them but any info I give is my own opinion and should not be considered Bells official opinion blah blah legal CYA stuff...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

I'm in a similar circumstance. I have the 9900 since Aug 2011, and now am about halfway through my current 3-year. I've checked my Bell account, and the upgrade would be ~$905 (incl. early termination + fees + new subsidized cost) for 2 years or ~$880 for 3 years. Total cost for buying outright was ~$670. At the halfway point, it's noticeably less to just buy the new one outright. Or wait a few months for prices to drop a bit. Alternately wait until the last 6 months of the plan, where apparently the upgrade fee is waived.

Also factor in the possibility of getting some money back from selling the older phone - either through Bell's trade-in offer, which seems underwhelming, or via e.g. Craigslist.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I was just at Bell and preordered my new Z10. I was due for an upgrade and they had an offer of $100.00 if preodered in-store before Feb. 2nd. Pretty good deal on a 3 year contract. Cheers
    CrackBerry User

Just a quick question I have the 6GB data plan on my Bold 9900 technically if I get a Z10 data = data since there's no more BIS right?
    CrackBerry Master

I believe BIS is still there. The data goes through the NoC but the carriers don't have to pay BB for it.

Global Posts
    6,574 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Double_J75 View Post
    I believe BIS is still there. The data goes through the NoC but the carriers don't have to pay BB for it.
    There is no BIS plan anymore for these phones. If you get one and you have an bis plan you have to switch. That was the indication in training anyway.

CrackBerry Addict

So what is this BIS plan you are speaking about. Basically why I'm asking is I have unlimited blackberry data plan with my current 9860 touch. I'm so wanting to upgrade but hoping I can still keep this unlimited blackberry data plan. I have fought tooth and nail every other upgrade to keep it cause they always wanted to get me out of it. So what with the new z10 blackberry data plans will be changing?

Global Posts
    6,574 Global Posts
    PIN

It's a generic data plan. We have had to change people off BIS to generic in the system. The data plan code is the same as what I have on my gs3

CrackBerry Addict

So having said that Reene would i have to change anything on my plan or everything remain the same? Im sorry i still didnt get it.

Global Posts
    6,574 Global Posts
    PIN

You will need to change your plan, according to what we've been told so far.

CrackBerry Abuser

Bell has a ridiculously late upgrade date. I bought my 9900 in on Aug 11, 2011 and my upgrade is Apr 11, 2014. My contract ends Aug 10, 2014! I'm in the same boat as you guys and I'm debating what I should do as well. The cheapest solution is unlocking a koodo z10 but I hear that voids the warranty from koodo. I could care less what Koodo thinks but I'm not sure if BlackBerry will take the phone in for repair. But at the same time, I'm not sure my 500mb will cut it for the z10. =S

I got different numbers than you though: Early upgrade ($270) + Subsidized cost ($150) = $420 + fees for 3 years. I don't even know if Bell will offer the phone outright...$670 is really steep compared to koodo's $550.

Global Posts
    6,574 Global Posts
    PIN

Default How much will it cost to upgrade 9900 to 10 on Bell?

The early upgrade program is undergoing changes right now, which is why you are seeing a late renew date at the moment. All of this stuff is changing in the next couple of weeks.

As far as the plan, we are hearing some conflicting now that only people with the social only plan will need to change.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    23A09773

Bell used to let business customers upgrade with 18 months left on my contract with a new 3 year contract free of charge. Now it's only 6 months before the end of the contract. Even with a business account, they still charge me more than the outright price for the Z10 with 12 months left on the contract...

@reeneebob : Do you have any idea when the details regarding the HUP changes will be available?
    CrackBerry User

I picked mine up today, paid 89 bucks to upgrade with a 3 year term! So happy!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Early upgrades

Are you then saying that there will be a different Early upgrade program than the $15 per month left on contract? I am at 14 months from end of contract and have been told by retentions that I can get Early upgrade for $180, will this get better or worse ?

Global Posts
    6,574 Global Posts
    PIN

It's supposed to be in the next couple of weeks, but please understand I can't say anymore.

Thanked by:
    retrofinn (02-06-2013) 
    EauRouge likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ok Thanks anyway. Im going in today and just wondered if I should hold off upgrading my wife's and my phones by a few weeks, as the $360 seemed steep, but we are anxious to upgrade sinece hers is not working well.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Im willing to wait if I thought it would be better is what I meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ffMorgy View Post
    Ok Thanks anyway. Im going in today and just wondered if I should hold off upgrading my wife's and my phones by a few weeks, as the $360 seemed steep, but we are anxious to upgrade sinece hers is not working well.
    CrackBerry Newbie

And I apologize, wasn't trying to press you for details. I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ffMorgy View Post
    Im willing to wait if I thought it would be better is what I meant.
    CrackBerry Addict

Anyone here have any luck with bell giving them an early upgrade or helping them out with the transition of an older blackberry to the z10. Or u have to wait it out until your eligible no ands ifs or buts about it!!! Man do I want a new one but unfortunately got my new blackberry 13 months ago.

Thing is I have to send mine in for repairs. And no I didn't drop it! Just frustrating sending in a blackberry twice in one year almost for repairs.

Cheers
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts

From what I see and heard on other threads, as you are already on the Bell BlackBerry plan, the change will be relatively simple. The only thing is you may have to purchase the new phone outright, then Bell will just transfer your account to the new phone.
    So the cost of a new phone plus the hardware change and maybe a new SIM card.

I would recommend talking to a Bell represent and they can give your options.
    Your plan will be a lot easier to transfer than ones changing from the iOS / Android / Windows platforms.
    Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Sent via my Blackberry Playbook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast