CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Contemplating a new contract, need feedback

I'm currently with Bell, halfway through my 3 years and packing a Bold 9900. Naturally, I'm interested in an upgrade for the Z10. I'm also looking at options to reduce my monthly bill, as it's a bit more than I'd like. The main issue I have is that I have to pay extra for voice mail and caller id, where other carriers seem to include this in their base pricing. I currently have a 1gb plan with Bell, and looking at my online account summary I get nowhere near that amount of data usage each month. I don't watch many videos, or stream much music; I do use email (Google Apps), text messages, Twitter, and Facebook a fair bit. I also browse the web on the go.

Looking at e.g. Rogers, Telus, and Fido, prices seem a bit better than Bell's equivalents. Plus the other carriers seem to generally include voice mail and caller id without an extra fee. I'm thinking I may be able to get by on 500mb of data per month, and 200 minutes of talk time are more than enough. Fiddling with Bell's online ordering system, it seems like I could get a basic voice plan and add data to it for less than a preconfigured voice+data bundle. I'm looking at the voice 27 + bundle 12 + 500mb combination in particular ($64); would Bell permit this combination? Telus' promo voice and data plan ($68) looks equivalent for a similar price. Rogers has the social share ready plan (1gb, unl. local minutes) for $70. The Virgin Mobile 45 and 60 Gold plans also look reasonable.

Bell is the only carrier I have experience with. So I'm dealing with a lot of comparison data here. When I search these carriers online, I see stories of bad service from each of the big carriers - each one is the worst, except for the rest...so what am I supposed to think? I'm hoping others who have experience with these carriers might be able to share their experiences in pricing and customer service from these carriers so that I - and others - may make suitable choices.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I just came from Bell, went with Koodo - bit more upfront, better deal, don't feel like a slave.
    Bell is implicitly dishonest...

#BB10Believe
    BlackBerry -
    We invented the Smartphone Business...
    We're takin' it back!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

It's worth looking around at other plans, then threatening to leave Bell, make sure to get through to retentions/cancellations armed with the other plan and negotiate. It could take talking to a few people and talking to each for a long time before you finally get to the retentions/cancellations people, make sure to have 2 hours to spare

PS I'm on Rogers and they wouldn't give me free voicemail or caller ID but I had a couples and family plan and their $30 6GB plan so it was worth staying, I got some discounts moving to Z10 by .doing the negotiation thing.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

oh, and browsing the web on Z10 is amazing, so you'll probably do more of that. I was out shopping the other day and was able to move easily between pages and get info quickly, before I would have loaded up one or two pages and stopped with bare minimum info when using my 9810, on the Z10 I loaded up 10 pages in no time. SO basically don't be too hasty cutting your data.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts

Im in a similar boat, but Im sticking with Bell. If you call and ask for retentions you can get the same plan other carriers offer. I've also been with 500MB, and I think this would be enough (again, I only look at webpages on the go, and thats not that often). Nevertheless, I would go with that Bell plan that you proposed, and ask to have the 500MB upped since there is no longer data compression (they call it data provisioning). Its not your fault that this doesn't exist so youre basically asking for the same plan, just "updated". I havent tried this yet, but the instore rep I spoke with said that this line of negotiating is almost guaranteed to work, provided you stick with bell. You can also get something like Callers ID thrown in, I did that last year. All I had to do was ask
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I did some talking with Bell re. the possible new plan I had thought of, starting with a voice plan and adding data. That has a lower cost per month, but brings a higher upfront cost for the phone (~$350) apparently since the data would be less than 1GB. A full GB would cost another $10. I'm still undecided over the data issue, since I'm on WiFi most of the time, so data plan use should be minimal.

My current plan is pretty reasonable, $55 for the base with 200 minutes and 1GB; the near-equivalent new plan now starts at $65.

I spoke to retentions for a bit today. The lady I talked to couldn't do a lot for me since most of the features I have are part of the base plan. She did offer to reduce my Bundle 12 addon (voicemail, caller id, voicemail to text) from $12 to $2, reducing my monthly bill by $10. There was the caveat that I not upgrade for a month, apparently a rule from higher up. I wonder if that is enforced at all...I'm tempted to try the upgrade anyway since the bonus $50 for trade-ins is for this month.

Currently I have 17 months remaining = $255 cancellation fee. Plus $139 (Z10) + $35 (activation, bah!) - $50 (trade-in bonus credit). Wondering if I can call again to try for a reduction of the cancel fee.
    Last edited by grant.palin; 02-15-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts

I literally did the EXACT same thing, Id start with 500MB data for you, if youre on wifi you can make it work.

I traded in my old old bold 9780 and with the +$50 that came to 120 in credit! (I was shocked lol)

If youre on retentions they can waive the activation fee, but after speaking to all the managers they have they did not budge on the cancellation fee.

Also, Im selling my 9900, so the whole upgrade is only putting me out about $50 bucks total. Do it!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Ultimately, after much cross-carrier plan and price comparison, I decided to cancel my Bell contract and move to Koodo. I had to pay more for the Z10 up-front, but will have a noticeably lower monthly bill. I also prefer not being locked into a contract. Koodo doesn't have the extra niceties that the others offer - Visual Voice Mail, Mobile TV, etc - but to me a phone is a phone, and what I am getting now works for me.
    CrackBerry User

I have been with Bell mobility for 20 years. They never gave me anything for free. My contract was up & I upgraded from my 9820 on a business blackberry plan to this one with my new Z10. Unlimited email, text, voice mail, Canada wide unlimited talk no long distance charges. 1 gig data. $70.00 plus tax. Dropped $20 from my last business plan that had unlimited data. I'm happy for now.

Posted via CB10