Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Canceling due to bad coverage in particular area - advice needed

I've been with Bell for many years on one of my mobile plans. Last year in the fall renegotiated decent retension plan for a 3yr term and got a Torch 9800 (on a rebate). All was good until got a cottage out of town (in a relatively remote area - but still covered well within the Bell official coverage zone) and discovered I can hardly get 1 bar signal in and around the area. it so bad I cannot make a call most of the time and if I get through the person I am calling cannot hear me. Data is taking forever, etc.

I called Bell tech support and they opened ticket but said since they didn't record any prior complains in this area it is very unlikely they will have this fixed any time soon. They advised that they give priority to areas where many people complain and then they try to address by adding booster something or new cell tower, etc.

So I've been talking to customer service but they are not able to just cancel the contact since I have over 2 years remaining and I am looking at $400 cancel fee + $100 data cancel fee.

They also offered me 10% discount for few months but that is not an option since my problem is I NEED a working phone since at the cottage there is no land line. my family members have rogers / telus phones and they seem to be working fine there but none of the bell phones work.

The bottom line is I need to get a rogers plan (even though I have no other problems with my bell plan and phone) but I feel I should not be penalized with the cancel fee since its not my fault bell does not offer usable service in that area especially since its within official coverage zone.

I am looking for opinion / advice how to get out of this and what my options are....

Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I hear your problem and understand what its like to have poor coverage out at the cottage, but I can say this much... Why should the let you off the hook on your contract just because you can't get a signal? That is no violation of their end of the contract, it was you who moved to a location where their service isn't available. These are things that should be considered before moving or purchasing a cottage in a remote location.

That being said... if you live in Ontario, Bell Mobility is changing their text messaging rates on Aug. 1st and with that change to your service agreement it allows you a small window to cancel your contract without penalty. See this thread for more info

http://forums.crackberry.com/f160/te...crease-625861/

Good Luck
    Last edited by topherpaquette; 07-05-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,505 Global Posts

I have seen people on Kijiji offer the phone for free if someone takes over their plan. Maybe that can be an option. There are people that would jump on a good plan and a free phone and it gets you out as well.... win win.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by topherpaquette View Post
    I hear your problem and understand what its like to have poor coverage out at the cottage, but I can say this much... Why should the let you off the hook on your contract just because you can't get a signal? That is no violation of their end of the contract, it was you who moved to a location where their service isn't available. These are things that should be considered before moving or purchasing a cottage in a remote location.

That being said... if you live in Ontario, Bell Mobility is changing their text messaging rates on Aug. 1st and with that change to your service agreement it allows you a small window to cancel your contract without penalty. See this thread for more info

http://forums.crackberry.com/f160/te...crease-625861/

Good Luck
    Before I purchased the cottage I went to Bell web site and checked coverage map and it showed I get full 4G HSPA+ coverage.
    Thanks for the rate increase tip but it looks like 30 days window already passed (and i have not received any formal notice)

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by SmakBerry View Post
    I have seen people on Kijiji offer the phone for free if someone takes over their plan. Maybe that can be an option. There are people that would jump on a good plan and a free phone and it gets you out as well.... win win.
    thanks will look into this