Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry Bridge Browser with Bell plan

I have an unlimited data plan with Bell which I've been told does not include tethering. I have been trying to research the Blackberry Bridge Browser on the Playbook as an option if I'm somewhere without wifi access. I've been reading that AT&T counts using the Bridge Browser as Tethering, but I can't find anything about Bell. Three customer service agents have told me they don't know if I will be charged for tethering using the Bridge Browser because they don't know anything about the Playbook.

Does anyone know if the Bridge Browser usage is covered under a data plan or considered tethering by Bell? I'd rather not receive a huge bill next month.
    CrackBerry User

I am fairly certain the Bridge Browser does not count as tethering, from what I can tell it doesn't do anything but connect your BB and playbook together to allow you to look at e-mails and a few other options, you can't even use the internet. You have to actually tether it to be able to browse.
    Maybe someone else can confirm this?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,330 Global Posts

i can confirm this. from my own personal experiance being with bell and useing the bb bridge it just uses up my data and has not charged me anything for tethering
    Back from the depths!!!
    9000>>9950>>8530>>9810>>Z10>>iPhone 5>>Z10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks to both of you for the solution!
    CrackBerry Abuser

hi i have a 1gb data plan will this be good for just browsing websites like crackberry? but not youtube videos correct? also how much more would i have to pay for more data lets say 3gb? thanx
    CrackBerry User

1 GB is more than enough for browsing web pages. Lately I'm doing lots of browsing on the road (no videos), sometimes for 4-5 hours a day, and I won't even hit 200 MB. If you are with Bell then they have likely pushed Bell Self Serve icon onto your device. Click on it and you will get a small (65 KB) app installed. It will show your latest usage (excluding the last two hours).

If you travel a lot then keep watching your usage, there are all kinds of charges, obvious as well as undisclosed. For instance, if you travel to the US you will get charged a few cents per hour for data roaming even if you never touch the browser or send/receive emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

My Bell plan when says tethering included. I don't think I paid extra for that.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

"I can tell it doesn't do anything but connect your BB and playbook together to allow you to look at e-mails and a few other options, you can't even use the internet. You have to actually tether it to be able to browse."

This is not correct at all. VIA bridge you can do 95% of what you can via wifi. The only difference is you can not download from app world, and some apps do not recognize the bridge connection for internet, but most do. Aside from this bridge works the same as tethered less the costs.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by pinkert11 View Post
    "I can tell it doesn't do anything but connect your BB and playbook together to allow you to look at e-mails and a few other options, you can't even use the internet. You have to actually tether it to be able to browse."

This is not correct at all. VIA bridge you can do 95% of what you can via wifi. The only difference is you can not download from app world, and some apps do not recognize the bridge connection for internet, but most do. Aside from this bridge works the same as tethered less the costs.
    Exactly
    What's in a world?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,644 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB6548C

I seem to recall when I set up my first playbook with my att bb I had to download a non att bb bridge app and then the bridge browser worked.

I've just got my new playbook and downloaded bridge from app world and its insisting I need teathering att to make itt work.

Anyone know where I can get a non att copy of the bb bridge app for my torch?