Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bell coverage in Saskatchewan

Looking for a little clarification regarding coverage.

I see on the Virgin mobile website that the Bold 9700 is not available in Saskatchewan due to network differences.

Going with Bell, I would be using my (not yet aquired) 9700 in SK once in a while (I live in BC). Will it simply not work there or what's the deal with the different network?

I'm not so concerned with data there, but mostly voice services.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

The short and simple answer is NO. The reason is all HSPA and HSPA plus will not work currently within Saskatchewan, as the network has not been configured their yet. Bell pairs up with Sasktel over there and they are expecting to have it up and running by March 2011 plus/minus 6 months like most carriers. Especially with Bell and Telus (plus their affiliates) run only on HSPA and HSPA+ for voice and data on HSPA devices, therefore you're kinda SOL
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 06-11-2010 at 04:51 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

That's why I am confused.

This coverage map shows quite a lot of coverage in Saskatchewan.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

Bell and Telus are confusing to understand at this point bt easy answer currently is only CDMA for them will work
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks for the help, the terminology confuses me. So I guess if I want cell coverage I need to stick with my old Sanyo flip phone with "CDMA" stamped into the back of it. So much for new technology
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
    That's why I am confused.

This coverage map shows quite a lot of coverage in Saskatchewan.
    You are right to be confused and unfortunately the answers you have received have been incorrect.

As a bit of background, I was in Regina last November with my (then) brand new BlackBerry Bold 9700 and there wasn't any coverage *at all*. Ironic since I'd purchased the device the week before my trip and the Bell rep had promised me coast-to-coast coverage. D'oh!

Bell has recently responded to the lack of progress in rolling out HSPA coverage with their partner Sasktel (they agreed to a sharing agreement in October 2009) by very recently adding areas of "extended coverage" to their coverage map. These areas of extended coverage are GSM (ie: 2G) areas which, given the fact that Bell doesn't have any 2G GSM infrastructure at all, one supposes must be leased from Rogers.

Frankly, I think this a good move by Bell and you *will* be able to use your phone in these extended coverage areas. It's not as fast (2G vs. 3G) and you won't be able to use data and voice at the same time, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Here's a link to a good posting on HowardForums which explains the new extended coverage area: New 'Extended Coverage' on Coverage Maps which also covers a large part of Manitoba, another area where Bell's coverage for their new phones was very spotty or non-existent.

You can also unlock your phone and use a Rogers SIM card in it since their pay as you go plans are pretty cheap. Of course, using the Bell phone on the Rogers network per the extended coverage areas amounts to the same thing but you use your own number!

/ES
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    You are right to be confused ...
    /ES
    Thanks for the help!
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
    Thanks for the help!
    No charge. Glad I could help! It would help if the carrier's used clearer language about their plans though, wouldn't it?

/ES
    CrackBerry Abuser

UPDATE:
    Official SaskTel press release. Network is Scheduled to launch commercially on August 16, 2010.

3G+ Network - Mobility - SaskTel
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
    CrackBerry User

I jusr came back from Saskatchewan and there is coverage along the major highways. Trans Canada and in all the cities. It isn't 3G except in the cities themselves. It shows on the phone as GPRS or something like that. As soon as you get off the TransCanada for example go south from Moose Jaw you lose all coverage. I had to use my CDMA phone after that.
    CrackBerry User

Sask is so behind. My cousin's town JUST got high speed internet (she lives in a small town a little bit North of Regina) apparently. So I'm not really surprised by this, haha.

Saying this, I am planning a potential move to Moose Jaw or Regina after university (I'm just in my first year now, waahh). Toronto is so high-strung.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    2,251 Global Posts
    PIN
    is available upon request.

Not trying to bring a "dead thread" back to life. Just throwing some info up. I'm on Virgin and live in Manitoba. I talked to CS just last week about some issues on my bill. While I was at it, I asked about the HSPA network, and when it would be up and running here. CS said "we expect to be up and running by the end of 2010, but honestly sir - I havn't seen an update on that for a while. Let me check" (hold music for 30 seconds). "Yes sir, the latest update on that is by the end of 2010 - but between you and me sir? I wouldn't take that as gospel truth"

So... late 2010, early 2011 for Virgin Mobile's HSPA in Manitoba. I expect it would be the same for Sask.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    2,251 Global Posts
    PIN

Not trying to bring a "dead thread" back to life. Just throwing some info up. I'm on Virgin and live in Manitoba. I talked to CS just last week about some issues on my bill. While I was at it, I asked about the HSPA network, and when it would be up and running here. CS said "we expect to be up and running by the end of 2010, but honestly sir - I havn't seen an update on that for a while. Let me check" (hold music for 30 seconds). "Yes sir, the latest update on that is by the end of 2010 - but between you and me sir? I wouldn't take that as gospel truth"

So... late 2010, early 2011 for Virgin Mobile's HSPA in Manitoba. I expect it would be the same for Sask.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Has there been any update on this? I may be moving to Manitoba (Brandon) and am running the Torch.

Cannot seem to find great info on Google and the last three Bell reps I spoke to gave me remarkably different answers from end-2010 to never; the middle ground was June of this year. Crazy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

From what I have been told by reps it when MTS decide to launch their HSPA network, as Bell will run off of them for the most part but some of the bigger cities have coverage already
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    2,251 Global Posts
    PIN

Sasktel's website advertises the new 3G+ network, but according to VirginMobile Canada, its not available in Sask OR Manitoba.. yet. (ViMoCan runs under Bell).

I'm due for an upgrade in March, and I hope the new network is fully rolled out by then! I guess I have until then to research the "perfect" phone for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com