An honest question, if the conspiracy theorists have any validity, why would they hate bbry? Are they paid to hate them, is it just in their nature, bbry annoys them for some reason?

How would bbry get around that negatively slanted press? Deliver, deliver, deliver! Anything else?

Ricocan
    09-18-13 09:32 PM
    Regardless of their claims towards 'objectivity' media members can be fanboys, too. Many of them just won't admit it.
    ibpluto likes this.
    09-18-13 09:38 PM
    Most of the media are not known for independent thinking. As with most of the things we do, there is a tendency to go with the herd. Sometimes, the herd is right, and at other times, it is wrong.

Unfortunately, the herd-mentality results either in a deluge of very good news or very bad news, rather than thought-provoking, clear-eyed comments.

That, and delivering would certainly help :-).

BBQ10
    Moekind likes this.
    09-18-13 09:53 PM
    Well, on canada, the company that owns ctv is Bell. They have a division called Bell Mobility

Therefore, in this case, I would think that ctv would likely do what is best for its parent company in terms of reporting news stories that require any type of interpretation or opinion.

I am not saying Bell slags BlackBerry, in fact probably the opposite. But that is just an example of who is running the show when it comes to media.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 09:57 PM
    Why Do Americans Hate Android And Love Apple? – ReadWrite

10 things I hate about Windows Phone

I won't bother trying to post any for iOS. There's a lot, as one can imagine.

Moral of the story? Every hyper platform enthusiast feels that his/her platform is a victim of the media.
    kevinnugent and app_Developer like this.
    09-18-13 10:10 PM
    I think its more that BlackBerry use to be the best and now the news isn't good so it looks bad when the best isn't "that good". Yea I do think that some news places run articles just to tarnish BlackBerry but it is their job and if I was BlackBerry it would just make me want to be the best again. Stop focusing on the media and focus on the business because everyone else is focusing on that. Just my 2 cents or 5 cents I guess since we no longer carry the penny

Posted from My Z10 via CB10
    Markymark 23 likes this.
    09-18-13 10:10 PM
    I dont think that it is so much a grudge against BB as it is a lack of willingness to do their job well. As many of the major media sources turn to online outlets the main way to see if a certain writer is doing well is by page views, and the better writers usually get better opportunities in the future. So, as a writer would you rather do a well researched piece on the ups and downs of BB which could take a week or more to research and write, and may get a couple thousand views... OR, post 3 - 5 'source' based speculation articles with little to no evidence at all, getting thousands of BB haters to read it and nod their heads in approval, and possibly more people from CB reading it in disapproval?

It is all about page views... which is why engadget posts 15 'articles' on a product launch as it is happening, each only dealing with one feature/aspect of the product, and then a 'all you need to know' article after the launch is done.

I dont think people necessarily WANT BB to die, i really hope not because it is costing many their jobs, but it just comes down to lazy 'reporters' and a complacent public who dont know any better then to just take the crap they are fed for true unbias information
    mset and ricocan like this.
    09-18-13 10:28 PM
    I dont think that it is so much a grudge against BB as it is a lack of willingness to do their job well.
    The post above is accurate, in my view. There are plenty of writers who don't have the time or inclination to figure things out on their own. They need to generate copy every day, every week. Media buyers want content. Writers will assess the tone of a bunch of articles and just parrot whatever they think is the concensus opinion. I think this is far more prevalent than people imagine, even among 'tech writers'.

If you're a decent writer, you can make it sound like you actually know what you're talking about. Just read back through some of my posts : )

In addition, it's easy and tempting for some people to pile on. That's true in a lot of situations, not just tech writing.
    09-18-13 11:13 PM
    Of course the media doesn't have a grudge against Blackberry...

The very idea that they do is ridiculous, considering that so many journalists used to have Blackberries and used them extensively back in the day.

The media reports the news. Period. (And obviously editorials in some cases, but the two don't affect each other).

When Blackberry is rumored to sack 40% of the workforce, that's a good story and the media runs with it.

Is it unfair that that story gets as much, or more coverage than the story about the new Z30? Nope.

First of all its a more important story, and secondly the Z30 was launched in an (tech and mobile-vise) obscure country on the other side of the world, and won't even be available in the US for a couple of months.

If you'd check Malaysian newspapers, you'd see that the priority of the stories is reversed.

And finally: Are you upset that Blackberry seems to get less coverage than Apple? Of course they do, but they still get the coverage they deserve.

The market for Blackberries is tiny compared to Apple. That's why they get much less coverage.

Apple will sell over 5 million phones in the 5c/5s opening weekend. That's more than what Blackberry sells in a quarter. And THAT is why you see Engadget post a dozen stories from the same Apple keynote, and only one story about the new Z30.

It has nothing to do with any perceived "grudge" or anti-Blackberry agenda.
    09-19-13 04:17 AM
    It has to do with who are the owners of BBRY. Jim B., Mike L and more recently Prem Watsa have rubbed a lot of powerful people the wrong way in the USA over the years. One of the most powerful hedge fund managers in the US calls Watsa the N-word. We can put 2 and 2 together.
    09-19-13 09:17 AM
    It has to do with who are the owners of BBRY. Jim B., Mike L and more recently Prem Watsa have rubbed a lot of powerful people the wrong way in the USA over the years. One of the most powerful hedge fund managers in the US calls Watsa the N-word. We can put 2 and 2 together.
    LOL. You really thought too much.
    Even Wallstreet big men are fighting among themselves.

It is very simple, if bbry could increase revenue every quarter, then its stock will keep going up.

You see even Wall street darling Apple dropped from half from its top, why? because people realized that Apple would stop growing and start declining.

If you check the financial data, I think bbry's revenue almost dropped half from its peak level, so a 80-90% cut of its stock price is nothing.
    In Apple's case, its revenue has not really dropped much yet, if it drops like bbry in the future, you will see Apple stock dropping like bbry too.
    09-19-13 09:25 AM
    The media does not have a grudge against Blackberry. It's simply a kill-the-messenger response to bad news among Blackberry fans on this forum. When an article is published in the Wall Street Journal saying that Blackberry is going to lay off up to 40% of its workers, the more level-headed Crackberry columnist figures it's probably true based on what we know about the company downsizing. On these pages, however, the reaction is to blame Rupert Murdoch, shorts, competitors and every other entity one can imagine.
    09-19-13 09:27 AM
    There is no grudge against BlackBerry if anything, it is just good business to hate-on BlackBerry. Especially if you own and operate a website.

I remember that one article that was about BlackBerry users being embarrassed to be seen using their phone. That author wrote a article that blasted BlackBerry. So the good, true BlackBerry faithful did what they always do and shared the link like crazy that way other BlackBerry fans could tell the author how wrong she was. Yeah, I'm sure that author was really upset over the hundreds of thousands of clicks her article got from people defending BlackBerry.

That article went on to be the most popular article that had ever been published on that site. Thanks in big part to other websites, such as CrackBerry linking to it. BlackBerry fans make it really profitable to hate BlackBerry. Can't really blame websites for taking advantage of how predictible die-hard platform enthusists are.
    09-19-13 09:35 AM
    Regardless of their claims towards 'objectivity' media members can be fanboys, too. Many of them just won't admit it.

Most media members were BlackBerry users at one time.... they found early BlackBerry's to be great communications tool. But they were converted to other platforms... because they didn't have a choice. BlackBerry stood still as other more productive devices came to market. A lot of positive articles were written about BB10 before and even right after the launch. I think a lot of old fans were hoping that BB would get their act together and really change for the better.
    09-19-13 09:45 AM
    I happened to be listening to Public Radio and heard a segment on the future of media and the demise of the printing press. The article discussed where media businesses are going to find revenues as the physical paper disappears. Of course they are all relying on new electronic media for their futures but what really struck me was the casual nature senior media executives regarded the concept of "placement media" as just another source of revenue. So, thinking of a blog or website with side bar ads and articles could be comprised of 100% marketing with ALL the content paid for. BGR comes to mind.

Placement media is when companies pay to provide content which is obviously biased and self-serving under the guise of coming from a totally objective perspective. The execs seemed to have no issue with betraying the sense of trust the reader has that the writer is providing a personal opinion or observation independent of any external influences. Their answer on the trust issue was that most readers would intuitively know that the author was a paid spokesperson and therefore would not feel betrayed. I'm not sure that without a clear disclosures, a reader would agree.

So, what I got out of all of the was; you really have to be vigilant on what you're reading and be able to discern what is really marketing and what is personal opinion. Further, what we (I) might think is corruption in the media, is really standard procedure for many content providers.
    09-19-13 10:12 AM
    They hate BlackBerry because they loved it so much at one point. It is like when your girlfriend or wife let's you down you hate them more than you would hate strangers or every one else.

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    09-20-13 12:18 AM
    Of course the media doesn't have a grudge against Blackberry...The very idea that they do is ridiculous...

The media reports the news. Period.
    First off, the media reports the news? Period? Ummm, not always. The media report what they're fed, sometimes. In fact, that happens quite a bit. Secondly, I know quite a few people who write for a living and believe me, when they have deadlines, they make **** up. Last, have you ever seen that Boy Genius guy on MSNBC or read any of his stuff? I'm not exactly a fan of this new phone or of the way BBRY has played its hand in the past 12 months, but that guy is absurdly biased against the Z10.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that on balance, BBRY is responsible for their own problems, and it's not a media bias that has landed them in trouble.
    toc610 likes this.
    09-20-13 12:49 AM
    There's a saying with the media that If it Bleeds, it Leads (Main/If It Bleeds, It Leads - Television Tropes & Idioms). The BlackBerry story since 2008 has been the corporate version of that trope. BlackBerry has been in a prolonged decline which has provided the media with a consistent story of a once-giant corporation bleeding (dying?). Notwithstanding the opinion pieces (the "I Love XXX & hate BlackBerry" blog posts), the slow death happening is the only real reason the media is all over BB.
    09-20-13 05:45 AM
    I've been reading this book called autobiography of Lee I cocoa. I couldn't stop relating present situation of BlackBerry with media with Chrysler back in 79

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 05:48 AM
    Very clear why they hate BB,

Management doesn't have the balls to stand up for itself . Period !!!! Let's sell this company to a proud activist investment group.
    09-20-13 05:54 AM
    I've been reading this book called autobiography of Lee I cocoa. I couldn't stop relating present situation of BlackBerry with media with Chrysler back in 79

Posted via CB10
    Funny, I've been thinking for a while it's similar to Commodore (of Commodore 64 fame) and the Amiga. A company once outselling everyone by a large margin (a fact most forget in the Apple II dominated history). They bring out the Amiga as the next chapter in the company, and it proves to be light years ahead of anything the competition has, for cheaper. Hampered by horrible marketing and a management team completely out of touch with the changing marketplace, the Amiga and Commodore both eventually fail even though it's product is highly competitive and engineered quite well.
    09-20-13 06:04 AM
    Ask any kid or bully....it's fun to pile on

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    09-20-13 06:25 AM
    Just like when your favorite team is losing in sports, some have to explain it away by any means necessary.

This is the same thing. BBRY fans can't handle the fact that the management team has so badly mismanaged OS10. It must be someone else's fault. Just read the "I support BlackBerry..." thread.

I made a terrible choice investing in BBRY. But that is my fault alone. Just like 99.999% of the problem with BBRY, is BBRY.
    chr1sny likes this.
    09-20-13 07:58 AM
    Just like when your favorite team is losing in sports, some have to explain it away by any means necessary.

This is the same thing. BBRY fans can't handle the fact that the management team has so badly mismanaged OS10. It must be someone else's fault. Just read the "I support BlackBerry..." thread.

I made a terrible choice investing in BBRY. But that is my fault alone. Just like 99.999% of the problem with BBRY, is BBRY.
    One area I will agree. BlackBerry has done an awful job (absolutely terrible) in sticking up for itself and trying harder to change perception of itself.

So to your point, and to my point above yours. Because BlackBerry is so gutless, its fun for the media and consumers a like to pile on, because BlackBerry does nothing to fight back. Its easy to go with the mob and kick a person while they are down, much harder to stand up for someone in the face of being caught by the kicks yourself.
    09-20-13 08:12 AM
    If you don't know something, you follow the others. It is called "groupthink".
    If someone asks you for an opinion, you go with the flow. You take general economic philosophies and say they apply to this situation.
    They are paid to say something and saying "I am not sure" will not get them invited back.

I saw people on the CBC doing the same yesterday.
    09-20-13 08:16 AM
36 12