Saw this mornings news and am disappointed to say the least. Decided to sell off all my shares of BlackBerry (thank you Chen). The irony was that the price was high on market open, so we profited over 100k us. My business partner and I have been joking back and forth about taking the profit and investing it in a software individual (or small team) to write something to convert our Passports to Android. Being in advertising, I have no clue how this works and wondered if anyone here did, as I would be grateful for some help / introductions.
    09-28-16 09:32 AM
    I'm not a very pro BBRY person.....

But I think you made a mistake.... yes bad news for us hardware fans, but in the end I think it's great news for the company and shareholders in general. No BlackBerry isn't going to be a company worth $20 a share anytime soon as the revenues pale with what they onces were. But a sound company... they do seem to be.

But as long as you profited that's great... way too many here are way too far under water.
    Uzi and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-16 09:35 AM
    Money spent to show support, not intended for profit. We don't stand behind BlackBerry anymore and so we took our money out.
    09-28-16 09:49 AM
    Had i been in ur place i wud hav instead bought some stock. From now on, i believe, the stock is going to climb. They hav got rid of the red area of the company.

Edit - read ur second post after posting.
    It wud be a much better idea to buy a Mercury / Elite x3 or other phone of ur choice wit a little of that fortune, and investing the remaining in a nice fund. All in good faith

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by blackmass; 09-28-16 at 11:32 AM.
    09-28-16 09:50 AM
    You will not be able to even pay for a team to convert your passports to android.

Unless you pay blackberry directly... a lot.

Your other option is to source completely new and unencrypted motherboards, and even then, those might not work.

Simply put, the bootloader is locked down, and you can't afford to unencrypt it.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    09-28-16 11:09 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Saw this mornings news and am disappointed to say the least. Decided to sell off all my shares of BlackBerry (thank you Chen). The irony was that the price was high on market open, so we profited over 100k us. My business partner and I have been joking back and forth about taking the profit and investing it in a software individual (or small team) to write something to convert our Passports to Android. Being in advertising, I have no clue how this works and wondered if anyone here did, as I would be grateful for some help / introductions.
    You answered your question. Always a good strategy to stay out of areas in which you are clueless... my advice.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-28-16 11:16 AM
    You answered your question. Always a good strategy to stay out of areas in which you are clueless... my advice.

Posted via CB10
    Lesson hard learned by you.....

But the OP has stated it wasn't an investment... he was part of the I Support BlackBerry movement of stock buyers, and at this point he see no reason to keep supporting them. I think Superfly_FR has pretty much given up on supporting them too.... just hasn't sold his stock at a loss to prove it.

As I stated, I think things are better for shareholders... at least new ones with a buyin under $10.
    09-30-16 07:34 AM
    Don't do it. I still have 2k, have this week, it have gain about 1%. Hang in there.

Emperor of Texas & California.
    10-01-16 06:13 PM
    Don't do it. I still have 2k, have this week, it have gain about 1%. Hang in there.

Emperor of Texas & California.
    Hoping that the stock price will rise soon when the hardware losses are off the books. I have over 4k in shares
    11-26-16 10:32 PM
    Once hardware's gone, they are minuscule niche player with a mediocre software offering that will be totally eclipsed by the big players within a few years.

Ciao and nice knowing ya!
    11-27-16 02:58 PM
    I can't see how "hardening" other companies' operating systems is a viable strategy long term. BlackBerry's business proposition is to claim that smartphone systems from Google and Apple aren't secure enough and they can fix it. Those are two of the biggest companies in tech so I think they might be working on it. It's kind of like the position of PC antivirus companies relative to Microsoft - they are continually trying to make your product less and less necessary.

That's why you see BlackBerry trying to make QNX do more things. However, if QNX is your core technology then how much can a division that brings in only $150M per year be worth? Not billions.
    11-27-16 03:45 PM
    I can't see how "hardening" other companies' operating systems is a viable strategy long term. BlackBerry's business proposition is to claim that smartphone systems from Google and Apple aren't secure enough and they can fix it. Those are two of the biggest companies in tech so I think they might be working on it. It's kind of like the position of PC antivirus companies relative to Microsoft - they are continually trying to make your product less and less necessary.

That's why you see BlackBerry trying to make QNX do more things. However, if QNX is your core technology then how much can a division that brings in only $150M per year be worth? Not billions.
    Last I heard, most of their revenue was from hardware and BIS subscriptions lol. They've decided to abandon both, rather than trying to retain any of that business. I just don't see Hub+ subscriptions on Android being worth hundreds of millions a quarter, so the only way is down, down, down ... maybe they will downsize so much that they become a private / Ltd company?
    11-28-16 01:49 AM
    Last I heard, most of their revenue was from hardware and BIS subscriptions lol. They've decided to abandon both, rather than trying to retain any of that business. I just don't see Hub+ subscriptions on Android being worth hundreds of millions a quarter, so the only way is down, down, down ... maybe they will downsize so much that they become a private / Ltd company?
    They abandon it, like people abandoned the Titanic after it hit and ice berg.... wasn't really a choice.

BB10 failed in 2013... while some here think Chen should have put more effort in a "2nd Launch", that's just wishful thinking by fans that don't really understand the cost associated with that attempt. And those that don't think Microsoft's problems in the smartphone market have any bearing on BlackBerry's problems.

Yeah the company is shrinking... just imagine where it would be if they hand't had all that cash to buy Athoc, Good and those other small revenue streams they have now. Private... I bet Prem would like to - sadly BlackBerry is more valuable if it were divided up and the parts sold off, than any earnings potential it currently has. Especially with how little they are putting into R&D these days.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-30-16 02:21 PM