With all the speculation on who will be partnering/buying BlackBerry, I guess Sony is the winner. That is the only conclusion that can be had as they will be releasing their new phone soon branded as the Z1!

Sony teases new G lens camera for upcoming Xperia Z1 | MobileSyrup.com

Wouldn't it be great to have a camera like that on a BB10 phone?!
    08-26-13 10:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 10:40 AM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 10:50 AM
    I have already a (CMD-)Z1 by Sony... released in... 1998

Posted via CB10
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    08-26-13 11:13 AM
    Awesome! Mentioned this also in other threads. The hardware is superb. It's just that BB10 is missing on that phone.... with a black theme of course.

Posted via a laser focused BB10 device
    08-26-13 11:30 AM
    I think WWE's Dolph Ziggler will buy BlackBerry. His signature move is called ZigZag. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Posted via the Z10's sexy keyboard.
    08-26-13 11:32 AM
    I'd love to see Sony buy BlackBerry, put their muscle behind it, start putting the OS in the Smart TVs, BluRay Players, etc. Xperia Z is some nice hardware too. I wouldn't be surprised if an Android OEM that isn't Samsung seriously considered buying out BlackBerry for differentiation.
    08-26-13 01:43 PM
    With all the speculation on who will be partnering/buying BlackBerry, I guess General Motors is the winner. That is the only conclusion that can be had as they have released many Chevy Camaro Z10s over the years.

Wouldn't it be great to have a car like that with a BB10 phone?!
    08-26-13 01:53 PM
    I have already a (CMD-)Z1 by Sony... released in... 1998

Posted via CB10
    Dd your microphone boom break?
    Mine did
    08-26-13 01:57 PM
    How about Mercury buying BB they have a can called the Zephyr.
    08-26-13 02:01 PM
    Sony adopted Palm's OS for a time when they split off their software division.

and look how that worked out.....
    08-26-13 03:27 PM
    After my experience with Sony Ericsson phones and Sony Walkman products I will never buy any more of their products again. BlackBerry becoming a part of Sony is not something I like at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 01:55 AM
    Lol! The Z1! I wouldn't be surprised if it'll get interpreted as some anti-Blackberry plot by some.

Seriously speaking though, there's a snowballs chance in hell that Sony buys Blackberry. They already have a struggling smartphone division themselves, don't see them buying another one...
    08-27-13 02:07 AM
    Dd your microphone boom break?
    Mine did
    Nope, broke the foldable antenna #earlyDays !

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 05:21 AM
    Xperia zl not 1

Posted via CB10
    BerryWizard likes this.
    08-27-13 06:18 AM
    Nope, broke the foldable antenna #earlyDays !

Posted via CB10
    foldable antenna?
    That was the microphone boom. #earlyAdopters
    08-27-13 07:28 AM
    foldable antenna?
    That was the microphone boom. #earlyAdopters
    Was it only external antenna? (top left of the device) . Maybe my bad English ( I meant "pull to deploy") or my bad memory... Will check when back home !

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 04:31 PM
    Facebook should buy it, they have a billion people on their network. Their own phone never came to the light of day. Almost instantly the top wanted apps would show up as they own Instagram and have a contract with netflix. BBM would replace FB Messenger. I'll mention it to Mark in the morning.
    08-28-13 01:30 AM
    Lets keep it on topic please!
    08-28-13 07:52 AM
    Sony adopted Palm's OS for a time when they split off their software division.

and look how that worked out.....
    Actually the Clie line of PDA's were fantastic. They were very successful and owned that market for a couple years with their PIM and multi-media capabilities...when the convergence happened to include telephony Sony did not make a phone/pda/media combo device. That is what happened.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-28-13 08:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    GO!
    08-29-13 09:49 PM
    Sony just got done "divorcing" Ericsson so that it could go it alone and react much faster than it could with a partnership. Sony had to PAY for that independence, and since the break-up, Sony has turned their smartphone business around and is improving their marketshare in several of their key markets, including the US.

The chance of Sony buying or partnering with BB is less than zero, IMO. Do some searching and read all of the interviews that Sony has given about their smartphones in the last year and it will be clear to you that the last thing they want is another partner. Sony is doing just fine with Android, and Android has the ecosystem they need to continue to grow. BB has virtually no ecosystem, and that's the key.

Remember that Sony is a CONSUMER electronics company, not an enterprise company, and their current OS offers them a consumer-friendly ecosystem that BB does not. There's nothing for Sony in a BB partnership except costs, and Sony doesn't need those.
    09-03-13 10:29 PM
    Latest news from Sony at Ifa:
    BBC News - Sony launches lens accessories and Z1 handset at Ifa

Sony has confirmed plans to sell two stand-alone lenses that connect to smartphones by wi-fi, allowing them to take higher-quality photos.

The devices are compatible with Android and iOS handsets and mark the creation of a new product category.

The Japanese company announced the products alongside a new smartphone which features a 20.7 megapixel camera and a larger-than-normal image sensor.

The launches should help the firm challenge Nokia's top-end handset.

The Finnish company - which is in the process of being taken over by Microsoft - unveiled the Lumia 1020 in July. Reviews have suggested that it has the best smartphone camera on the market, but were critical of its price,

Sony told the BBC it would target its Z1 handset at a wider audience than what it called the Lumia 1020's "super-premium category".

It confirmed details of the devices at the Ifa consumer tech show in Berlin - much of the information had already leaked via tech news sites.

One analyst suggested the lenses in particular would struggle to find buyers.

"The concept is interesting, but when you think about using it, will users want to carry them around?" asked Francisco Jeronimo, mobile devices research manager at tech consultancy IDC.

"The problem is that for those wanting top-quality photographs, the experience of having a DSLR [digital single lens reflex] offers a better experience than a phone with an add-on camera.

"Meanwhile having the lens attached to a phone makes it feel quite bulky compared to a compact camera or stand-alone handset.

"If the lenses were priced under �100, then I could see photography geeks buying it, or operators bundling it with the phone, but these lenses will be quite expensive."

Sony itself acknowledged that it did not know how strong demand would be.

"Always we're discussing: 'How many pieces should we prepare,'" Yosuke Aoki, a digital imaging spokesman for the firm, told the BBC.

"We're waiting for after the Ifa announcement to see what the feedback will be to the models."

Making a statement

The QX10 lens offers a 10x optical zoom and 18.2MP resolution which Sony says makes it ideal for taking shots of distant landmarks or close-ups of people. It will cost about �170,

The QX100 features a smaller 3.6x zoom but a bigger sensor with a resolution of 20.2MP. Its aperture goes as wide as f1.8 - allowing more light in - meaning it should be more adept at taking photos in low light or with a very shallow focus. It also offers manual focus as an option which is not possible on the other lens. It will cost about �380.

Once fitted with a battery and memory stick, the QX10 weighs 105g (3.7oz) and the QX100 179g (6.3oz).

Both devices:

include technology that compensates for shaky hands
    activate a link-up to a phone or tablet if it has an NFC (near field communication) chip
    can attach to different-sized handsets via an extendable clip, or - in the case of the Z1 - using a special case
    can be operated while a short distance away from the smart device
    Neither has a built-in screen.

Sony Mobile's head of sales and marketing said they were intended to send a message to consumers, including those who would never buy them.

"It's a statement as one piece of many things that are starting to come together under the umbrella of Sony," said Dennis van Schie.

"The PlayStation 4 is coming out. In 4K [ultra-high resolution] TVs, we're the leader - from the formats to the cameras to recording capabilities [that will appear] quite soon in mobile.

"Now we're the first ones to dare to create a lens-type camera with a new kind of user interface. It contributes to what Sony is standing for."

Sony posted a 3.5bn yen ($35m, �23m) profit in the April-to-June quarter, reversing a 24.6bn yen loss the previous year.

Stronger sales of smartphones helped achieve the turnaround.

However, IDC says the firm still only had a 4.1% share of global smartphone shipments over the three months, putting it behind Samsung, Apple, LG, Lenovo, Huawei and ZTE.

'Additional value'

Sony is hoping the new water-resistant Z1 handset will help it boost that figure.

Nokia Lumia 1020 Nokia has boasted that its Lumia 1020 with a 41MP sensor is the best smartphone camera on the market
    It says the device features an exclusive sensor which is the same size as that found in its Cybershot cameras.

It also features new software including the ability to provide live video streams to Facebook, and Info-eye - an app that provides information about books, wine and landmarks among other objects the phone is pointed at.

The company is also taking advantage of its other assets to help the device stand out from the Android crowd. UK shoppers are promised five Sony movie downloads and a selection of free PlayStation mobile games.

"They've done quite a good job of differentiating the phone," said Mr Jeronimo.

"That's what operators want - to be able to provide additional value from what Sony offers.

"[B]That's why they are looking at Sony as a better prospect for the future than other vendors like Blackberry and HTC."[/B]
    09-04-13 10:57 AM
    And the IFA announcements track perfectly with Sony's consumer electronics focus, which, again, couldn't be further from BB's focus. Sony simply has no interest in BB.
    Corbu and m1a1mg like this.
    09-04-13 11:20 AM
    Sony just got done "divorcing" Ericsson so that it could go it alone and react much faster than it could with a partnership. Sony had to PAY for that independence, and since the break-up, Sony has turned their smartphone business around and is improving their marketshare in several of their key markets, including the US.

The chance of Sony buying or partnering with BB is less than zero, IMO. Do some searching and read all of the interviews that Sony has given about their smartphones in the last year and it will be clear to you that the last thing they want is another partner. Sony is doing just fine with Android, and Android has the ecosystem they need to continue to grow. BB has virtually no ecosystem, and that's the key.

Remember that Sony is a CONSUMER electronics company, not an enterprise company, and their current OS offers them a consumer-friendly ecosystem that BB does not. There's nothing for Sony in a BB partnership except costs, and Sony doesn't need those.
    Totally agree. People need to get off this Sony Berry kick. It's not gonna happen.
    09-05-13 04:34 AM