Hi Fellow Crackberrians :

I just went on Amazon and both the Passport and Classic are currently ranked 80th and 81st respectively for sales volumes. It was only a few weeks ago when they were both in the top 10 !

Does this indicate the market demand for these devices is spent ? Does anyone have a sense on take-up rates from other retailers or countries?

Is this bad news for Q4 ?
    01-26-15 06:16 PM
    From what I understand online sales are still a pretty small part of overall sales especially in North America where carriers subsidize devices.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-26-15 07:36 PM
    I have great admiration for Mr. Chen but I don't think he gets it. He can make the best phones but with any app gap, he cant sell the phones. He MUST separate hardware from software. I understand the allure of making sexy phones, perhaps the best phones but he is doing a great disservice to the shareholders and to the company.

I just went on Amazon and both the Passport and Classic are currently ranked 80th and 81st respectively for sales volumes. It was only a few weeks ago when they were both in the top 10 !

Does this indicate the market demand for these devices is spent ? Does anyone have a sense on take-up rates from other retailers or countries?

01-26-15 07:39 PM
    I have great admiration for Mr. Chen but I don't think he gets it.
    He did very well at cutting a tremendous amount of fat and getting the company committed to a (hopefully) more sustainable future. That is huge.

He's just not a great salesman.

He MUST separate hardware from software..
    What do you mean? You mean splitting the company?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    01-26-15 07:52 PM
    Around the day it was announced that at&t would carry those devices, the unlocked ranking dropped significantly on Amazon USA. I guess people rather have it subsidized.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 09:53 PM

Its spent for unlocked devices in the US of A. Most people want to be under contract for the inexpensive out-of-pocket phone. The high Amazon ranking was due to no carrier availability so BB fans had no other option besides ShopBlackberry.
    01-26-15 10:32 PM

Q4... I would not expect to see much in the way of growth in sales during this time frame. The Passport is a low volume device with a limited market, so numbers aren't going to be huge for it. The Classic is suppose to be THE device for enterprise, and enterprise is the NICHE so I'm sure they are hoping for sales of millions of them....

But as there is only one month left in the quarter now and it still isn't available to enterprise in the US..... Most of the Classic sales won't get counted until the first quarter of the next fiscal year.

Amazon is a consumer site, selling unlocked devices..... that still isn't how most North American customers buy smartphones. Consumer or Enterprise.
    01-27-15 08:08 AM
    I can certainly see that once AT&T announced their participation the volumes would drop. So much for the "Carrier Independence" movement.

Does anyone have access to volume numbers, like Google browser connection stats ?
    01-27-15 06:40 PM
    From what I understand online sales are still a pretty small part of overall sales especially in North America where carriers subsidize devices.
    The Passport or Classic haven't been available via providers. The only one is US Mobile. Maybe some people are waiting for these phones via their carriers. I hope all the demand hasn't been satisfied yet.
    01-28-15 10:14 AM
    The Passport or Classic haven't been available via providers. The only one is US Mobile. Maybe some people are waiting for these phones via their carriers. I hope all the demand hasn't been satisfied yet.
    Not true. All the major Canadian Mobile Providers/Carriers have them. Not a full global release though.

also, check this other CB posting re Passport availability:

complete-list-carriers-and-places-buy-blackberry-passport
    01-28-15 11:09 AM
    Not true. All the major Canadian Mobile Providers/Carriers have them. Not a full global release though.

also, check this other CB posting re Passport availability:

complete-list-carriers-and-places-buy-blackberry-passport
    Is Canada part of North America... us Yanks keep forgetting you guys are up there.

Let's face it, saying all Canadian Carriers have them is only about 10% of the North American market. And as sales in the US are still primarily through carriers and are still subsidised (even a little) as part of a contract..... most of the direct sales options are outside of what most users (commercial or consumer) would be considering. For the sake of argument... the Classic nor the Passport is really "available" in North American yet.

Cause when sales figures come out for the 4th quarter... I bet that will be pointed too as the reason for slower than expected sales.
    01-29-15 08:16 AM
    What about the "fleet replacement" sales ? I doubt they would go through a carrier and would probably deal direct with Blackberry.

Is that correct ?
    01-29-15 09:48 AM
    Is Canada part of North America... us Yanks keep forgetting you guys are up there.

Let's face it, saying all Canadian Carriers have them is only about 10% of the North American market. And as sales in the US are still primarily through carriers and are still subsidised (even a little) as part of a contract..... most of the direct sales options are outside of what most users (commercial or consumer) would be considering. For the sake of argument... the Classic nor the Passport is really "available" in North American yet.

Cause when sales figures come out for the 4th quarter... I bet that will be pointed too as the reason for slower than expected sales.
    isn't Canada is the 51st state??

Thanks for sharing your opinion.
    (not sure how or where you get your information from though)
    01-29-15 10:38 AM
    I have great admiration for Mr. Chen but I don't think he gets it. He can make the best phones but with any app gap, he cant sell the phones. He MUST separate hardware from software. I understand the allure of making sexy phones, perhaps the best phones but he is doing a great disservice to the shareholders and to the company.
    John Chen abandoning hardware would be a disservice. Not going to happen unless you want BBRY to file for Chapter 11.
    There is No App Gap on BB10, it runs both Android and BB10 apps very well.

BBRY makes the best smart phones, most innovative. That stimulates this industry. 2015 is going to be the companies growth year. EnJoY the RiDe.

Posted by Q5
    01-30-15 12:26 AM
    Does anyone else find it strange that we have this thread wondering where the Passport and Classic demand has gone at the same time that we have a thread about the iPhone's record-breaking monster quarter? Hmmmm...I'm not so sure that these two phenomena are unrelated...
    techvisor likes this.
    01-30-15 01:25 AM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Does anyone else find it strange that we have this thread wondering where the Passport and Classic demand has gone at the same time that we have a thread about the iPhone's record-breaking monster quarter? Hmmmm...I'm not so sure that these two phenomena are unrelated...
    If Blackberry can get back to doing what it does best, then it will succeed, the same way Porsche succeeds at what it offers, even though GM and Ford and Toyota sell way more cars... than they ever will...

Be best at what you do!... there is a segment of consumer/business that will want that, above all other options...

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 and ricocan like this.
    01-30-15 03:00 AM
    That seems like a logical conclusion until you think about apples quarter end date that was reported on and the time period we see talking about are not the same
    01-30-15 07:59 AM
    If Blackberry can get back to doing what it does best, then it will succeed, the same way Porsche succeeds at what it offers, even though GM and Ford and Toyota sell way more cars... than they ever will...

Be best at what you do!... there is a segment of consumer/business that will want that, above all other options...

Posted via CB10
    Big difference in the profit from selling one Porsche and from selling one Classic....

Porsche can flourish selling only .5% of the cars in the world.... not sure BlackBerry can do the same if 8 million devices is all they can sell.

And the problem is.... what criteria do others use to come up with the BEST? Outside of CrackBerry I'm not sure BlackBerries are seen as the best option. And too be quite honest BlackBerry's biggest issue.... is BlackBerry the company. When your financial health and rumors of being sold are common knowledge... that makes buyers very wary, regardless of your products abilities.
    01-30-15 09:46 AM
    Big difference in the profit from selling one Porsche and from selling one Classic....

Porsche can flourish selling only .5% of the cars in the world.... not sure BlackBerry can do the same if 8 million devices is all they can sell.

And the problem is.... what criteria do others use to come up with the BEST? Outside of CrackBerry I'm not sure BlackBerries are seen as the best option. And too be quite honest BlackBerry's biggest issue.... is BlackBerry the company. When your financial health and rumors of being sold are common knowledge... that makes buyers very wary, regardless of your products abilities.
    Where on earth do you come up with this info???
    01-30-15 10:03 AM

Also note that Porsche is owned by Volkswagen so they don't have to worry about their financial health. They can serve their niche market knowing that VAG can provide corporate/financial assistance as needed.
    01-30-15 10:05 AM
    Where on earth do you come up with this info???
    Maybe if you could be specific in what you don't agree with....

The numbers are for BlackBerry - .5% is market share for sales based on the IDC IDC: Smartphone OS Market Share 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011, and 8 million is a guess of where sales will be for this year (currently that have recognized revenue on 5.6 million through the 3rd quarter - eight million assumes a slight increase due to the Passport and Classic). But Porsche is really only about .2% of the overall car market in sales.

The rest is just a guess as to why people and companies are not buying BlackBerry devices. You can believe that BB10 was too different from BBOS and that everyone just sat around waiting for BlackBerry to come out with the Classic if you want. Maybe you'll be right. All I know is Apple said they were #1 in business and BlackBerry didn't FactCheck them. And so far I don't see an indication that there really is much of a niche out there. And I doubt you can show otherwise.. other than just hope and faith. But as I said, it's just a guess.... over then next six months we will see.
    kirson and sentimentGX4 like this.
    01-30-15 12:31 PM
    In the most recent numbers I saw, Blackberry didn't even make the list. I'm thinking they were US domestic numbers but it means, they are less than .1% of the market. Now, I think the re-engineering is still underway and we're seeing the down slope of the Z10 and Q10 and have not yet seen the Passport or Classic effect on the numbers. However, I'm not sure the Passport and Classic numbers are going to be any different.

Further, did the Z10, Q5, Q10 and Z30 do that badly that they only amounted to less than .1% of the US market ?
    01-30-15 03:01 PM
    I agree, the app gap is killing blackberry. I feel blackberry needs 2 divisions of phones. One foe enterprise and one for consumers based on android with google play with BB10 features

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 08:35 AM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Apps not problem.. distribution by carriers... worldwide for Classic and Passport... those that see the products and touch them... likely to buy....

Few will be up to speed on BlackBerry products and order only online... imo

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 06:03 PM
    Keyboard phones are such poor sellers that they have been overwhelmingly abandoned by other OEMs, so the overall market that BlackBerry is trying to address with the Passport and Classic is small to begin with. As more official sales data is revealed by BlackBerry, perhaps we'll get a better idea of the actual figures.
    02-07-15 07:40 PM
122 123 ...