Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By sonbuster
  • 4 Post By dbmalloy
  • 2 Post By drummer_god
  • 3 Post By darkehawke
  • 2 Post By Dapper37
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Only 1.3 Million BlackBerry 10 Devices Would Push BlackBerry into the Black, says Analyst

Only 1.3 Million BlackBerry 10 Devices Would Push BlackBerry into the Black, says Analyst - N4BB

Every analyst and their mother seems to be making predictions on BlackBerry 10 sales. The latest is Bernstein Research’s Pierre Ferragu, who reiterates an Outperform rating on the stock.

Ferragu says BlackBerry may post profit in its June-ending Fiscal Q1 results, beating expectations. This could potentially boost the stock to $20 0r $25.

“Only 1.3m Blackberry 10 units would be sufficient to push the company into the black” Ferragu writes, urging investors to look past recent reports of slow initial sales.
    Banned

I think more 1.3m Blackberry 10 units push the company.
    CrackBerry Genius

so much contridictory info from all these analysts makes my head hurt.... no longer taking it seriously anymore... will wait for reality to set in on the March 28 quarterly report.....
    CrackBerry Addict

Finally some speculative reporting from the bull side!
    ibpluto and sonbuster like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,358 Global Posts

Say 1 million phones is break even. Each additional 1 million phones add $100 million in free cash flow. if they sell 21 million this year, that is $2 billion in free cash flow. This math just gets better and better!
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
    Say 1 million phones is break even. Each additional 1 million phones add $100 million in free cash flow. if they sell 21 million this year, that is $2 billion in free cash flow. This math just gets better and better!
    How is this even possible? Say, $200 profit per phone (and I think I am over estimating profit margin, it's probably $150 per device). Then 1 million x $200 = $200 million. $200 Million can't possibly be break-even.
    ------------------------
    Dear BlackBerry::

---------------------
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    How is this even possible? Say, $200 profit per phone (and I think I am over estimating profit margin, it's probably $150 per device). Then 1 million x $200 = $200 million. $200 Million can't possibly be break-even.
    They still have revenue from enterprise clients and BB7 plus additional layoffs.

Global Posts
    6,562 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

This is academic anyway; they may have more than half of this number booked by the end of February.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

--Mark Twain
    CrackBerry Addict

perhaps the analyst means 1.3 million Z10s sold for this quarter ( which ends March 2nd ) would put BB in the black for the quarter?

theres no way he thinks 1.3 million sold on the year would put them in the black.
    CrackBerry Genius

If all else stayed the same from last quarter, assuming $200 Gross per unit, then 1.3 million THIS quarter would push them into the black.

However, $200 per unit might be overdoing it. Also, I would expect their marketing costs to be much higher than last quarter. Also revenues from BB7 devices might be a good chunk lower than the December 2012 quarter.

Though, I like his optimism!

Edit: I looked at the link and it appears he is referring to sales in the June 2013 quarter. This might be reasonable to assume, particularly with cost cutting that hasn't been realized yet. Also, 1.3 in the June-ending quarter is very doable.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PMMe

Quote Originally Posted by dusdal View Post
    If all else stayed the same from last quarter, assuming $200 Gross per unit, then 1.3 million THIS quarter would push them into the black.

However, $200 per unit might be overdoing it. Also, I would expect their marketing costs to be much higher than last quarter. Also revenues from BB7 devices might be a good chunk lower than the December 2012 quarter.

Though, I like his optimism!

Edit: I looked at the link and it appears he is referring to sales in the June 2013 quarter. This might be reasonable to assume, particularly with cost cutting that hasn't been realized yet. Also, 1.3 in the June-ending quarter is very doable.
    1.3 in the June-ending quarter would be a disaster - even if it pushed them into black. Remember, people are looking to compare against MSFT/NOK right now. NOK pushed 4 million last quarter - so even if BBRY is in the black, if they do it on 1.3mm sales the stock will tank.
    Try BBSSH, an open source SSH and Telnet client for Blackberry devices.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_Paradise View Post
    1.3 in the June-ending quarter would be a disaster - even if it pushed them into black. Remember, people are looking to compare against MSFT/NOK right now. NOK pushed 4 million last quarter - so even if BBRY is in the black, if they do it on 1.3mm sales the stock will tank.
    This would be 1.3 million in addition to the millions they will sell for BB7.1 - devices. Total shipments had better exceed 4mil by a WIDE margin (lets hope total is double that +)
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,661 Global Posts

pfft what do analysts know! right?
    or are we agreeing with this one?
    i lose track
    Primary Device: Moto X
    Backup Device: Blackberry Z10
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    This would be 1.3 million in addition to the millions they will sell for BB7.1 - devices. Total shipments had better exceed 4mil by a WIDE margin (lets hope total is double that +)
    True. But a lot of (potential) BB 7.1 customers must have put-off their purchases until BB 10 based device is released in their market, at a price that they can afford. So, it'd be interesting to see how it plays out.
    ------------------------
    Dear BlackBerry::

---------------------
    CrackBerry Genius

Agree it would. Just finding the context for the 'analyst'.
    CrackBerry Genius

THIS. Let's get some perspective here. 4Q Windows and BB phone sales were considered almost laughable and they were 6.4 and 7.3 million respectively. Beating 300,000 doesn't help BBRY. Beating 1.5M in the short term, may help, but the real sales numbers over the next few quarters need to be MUCH higher. Here's hoping.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

4.4 million nok wp8 sales in the holiday quarter. after being fully launched
    compaired to a 1.5 million 1/3 launched Z10 in the slow season, is not all that bad IMO
    If thats how it comes down.
    r0v3rT3N and kfh227 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,132 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper37 View Post
    4.4 million nok wp8 sales in the holiday quarter. after being fully launched
    compaired to a 1.5 million 1/3 launched Z10 in the slow season, is not all that bad IMO
    If thats how it comes down.

I don't think the stock market will pass judgment on BB until the Z10 and Q10 have had a full Q in the USA market. The market is all about perceptions in the USA.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Only Apple can have 150-200$ profit per device. Companies will be happy when they have 60-80$ profit per device. Otherwise Samsung would have had the most of the cash today.

7.1 are sold mostly outside North America and Europe, so they are still going to sell good in Asia and Africa.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    9380 > Z10 > Z30
    SGS1+ > iPod 4G Touch > PB > NexusTab (regret)