Most people may not be aware that the Canadian government offers tax incentives for research and development. There may be a significant tax incentive to put all these assets under a single business unit. I don't know the law, but speculation that BlackBerry is preparing to spin off all their IP assets or sell QNX right when they're galloping towards 2 maybe 3 product releases on the tail of a lot of positive press and improving relations with their biggest customers is.... well, whoever's pushing THAT kind of line should probably get a job working for the police telling people their loved ones have died horribly, so they can have fun at work.
    gokulesh and Shanerredflag like this.
    08-18-14 07:01 PM
    Sorry, I don't have a source but if I recall correctly, it was John Sims who mentioned it during an interview. It was also mentioned in latest earnings call.

Edit: wasn't him..was the CFO
    BlackBerry to Lower Patent Royalty Expenses Later This Year - BerryReview
    So they are going to suddenly save 1 Billion dollars a year between the the "fixed" and "variable royalty payments? That sounds great!

Just have to ask... why were they paying the 1 Billion if they didn't need it? They have been hurting for cash and doing everything to cut expenses for almost two years, and someone just found this line item?
    08-19-14 07:29 AM
    They negotiated a fixed fee because when their volumes were 5 times what they are now it was probably the cheaper option. Cant predict the future
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    08-19-14 07:36 AM
    Well IF they are suddenly going to not have to pay out a billion dollars a year... that alone should get them pretty close to profitability.
    08-19-14 09:01 AM
29 12