Alright, we've all heard the comments: BBRY is setting up to provide a mobile computing platform for the future. I see a lot of possibility across a wide range of devices, all connected with the common QNX thread.

But what I find disturbing about this is the repeated allusions to running BB10+ on the desktop. Sure, some minor subset of customers (probably us and some businesses) will do this. But if that's a linchpin of the company's long-term strategy, I'm really concerned. Who are they going to sell this to, and how? The ecosystem troubles we're having now are *minor* compared to those the platform would face as a full-blown desktop OS. Simply put: there's no way it'd gain significant consumer traction.

That means that their target is businesses - but surely they must know that enterprise businesses are often hugely entrenched, with large quantities of in-house and third-party software that they can't simply walk away from.

Anyone have thoughts or possible clarity on what they might be trying for here? Maybe they're looking at the thin client market?

Could this really be the sum of the long-term vision for BBRY?
    02-22-13 12:29 PM
    In my opini�n the long term future is not bright for BlackBerry. The next step in the industry is convergence of desktop, tablet, smartphone and living-room. If BB10 has problems in the smartphone market where is a know brand and former leader, in the desktop, tablet and living-room has no chance to compete with Microsoft, Apple and Google.

QNX has advantages as an OS to be embedded in other products like cars, machines, etc., but I think after android the world won't adopt a closed system as a standard.
    If BB opens the code of QNX how can they profit from it?. If they keep it close then an open alternative will arise.
    02-22-13 02:28 PM
    I think the long-term future for Blackberry is incredibly positive, so much so that I just posted this discussion in the BB O/S forum, take a look and comment on my thoughts!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-essay-774931/
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-22-13 03:31 PM
    In my opini�n the long term future is not bright for BlackBerry. The next step in the industry is convergence of desktop, tablet, smartphone and living-room. If BB10 has problems in the smartphone market where is a know brand and former leader, in the desktop, tablet and living-room has no chance to compete with Microsoft, Apple and Google.

QNX has advantages as an OS to be embedded in other products like cars, machines, etc., but I think after android the world won't adopt a closed system as a standard.
    If BB opens the code of QNX how can they profit from it?. If they keep it close then an open alternative will arise.
    QNX is already in some cars.
    02-22-13 03:33 PM
    QNX is already in some cars.
    That's right, and android and Windows are in cars too. But I mean adoption as a standard or industry leader when the technology becomes ubiquitous. .
    02-22-13 04:29 PM
    Ya, Windows is in my truck. Well, Microsoft Sync is. After experiencing it, you know what my first check is going to be on my next vehicle? That it does not have Microsoft in it anywhere. Then with the remaining cars, it is best fuel economy, etc.

Microsoft Sync is garbage.
    02-24-13 12:19 PM
    Think chromebook.

QNX would give a much better end user experience and have the security to boot.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 12:47 PM