View Poll Results: Is this smart investing?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 31.71%
  • No

28 68.29%
    And here I am having bought at $12 and held all the way through $18. Meh tax deductible and my sum isn't too big. I like to look at the upside. Be brave when those around you are afraid. Be afraid when they're brave. Just don't risk the farm doing it!

Posted via CB10
    That's what I like to do as well. And especially when you see a company so dedicated. Hope they can rise to the top again one day. That would be a dream come true.
    And I agree, don't get the risk losing the farm, or the animals that live on it for that matter. Hope we all come out as winners.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:27 AM
    However, some who are still using their legacy devices that want to upgrade might consider because those are the people who most likely stay in the loop. And social media (twitter, youtube, etc.), people can see or hear about BlackBerry World steppin' up. Also if BlackBerry does a commercial showing some big apps that are really popular, and just make it young, active, and outgoing. It needs like a T-Mobile, AT&T, in terms of the U.S. I needs to go where the market is weak, and where it is dropping. If we wanted to, we could make a sample commercial, and pitch it to BlackBerry, I think Mr. Chen would like that! I'm not an expert though, this is my strategy though.

I doesn't lag much for me. Everyone who has been complaining about lag is someone who most likely hasn't been running the OS for 1-2 weeks. And because it required auto-loading the leaked OS and so many files were altered/updated, it caused a major lag during the first few days. This is normal, and many don't know. The phone is still catching up with the change. If they read the leak before installing they will understand that it is a normal symptom.

There is where we both agree. They only have $3-4 billion, and its less now, but I think maybe millions could do the trick. Don't just throw away the money at random advertising. I have a feeling its going to be played smart this time around.
    if millions dollar enough to advertise BB10, maybe LG, Sony, HTC need to change their advertising firm to BB advertsing firm.. /sarcasm

today to get commercial spot on primetime TV they need to spend hundred thousand to million dollars each time, samething with radio, Large banner, advertising billboard etc and it is only on one region / one country....

to put the advertising for people worldwide million dollars dont do the trick...

here some example marketing budget electronics / mobile phone etc

US only
    Samsung Outspends Apple on Phone Advertising - WSJ.com

worldwide
    Google is about to spend half of Apple’s annual marketing budget promoting a single phone – Quartz
    11-25-13 04:21 AM
    However, some who are still using their legacy devices that want to upgrade might consider because those are the people who most likely stay in the loop. And social media (twitter, youtube, etc.), people can see or hear about BlackBerry World steppin' up. Also if BlackBerry does a commercial showing some big apps that are really popular, and just make it young, active, and outgoing. It needs like a T-Mobile, AT&T, in terms of the U.S. I needs to go where the market is weak, and where it is dropping. If we wanted to, we could make a sample commercial, and pitch it to BlackBerry, I think Mr. Chen would like that! I'm not an expert though, this is my strategy though.

I doesn't lag much for me. Everyone who has been complaining about lag is someone who most likely hasn't been running the OS for 1-2 weeks. And because it required auto-loading the leaked OS and so many files were altered/updated, it caused a major lag during the first few days. This is normal, and many don't know. The phone is still catching up with the change. If they read the leak before installing they will understand that it is a normal symptom.

There is where we both agree. They only have $3-4 billion, and its less now, but I think maybe millions could do the trick. Don't just throw away the money at random advertising. I have a feeling its going to be played smart this time around.
    my reply for number 1 and 2

1) but today BB10 dont have some popular apps official in their BB world. they cant make advertising to promoting sideload apps/unofficial apps....

yes youtube/twitter you can upload/promote your product for free...but most proven only as one time thing/ one hit wonders.. to get more exposure you have to pay youtube/twitter or other internet site to put your ads..and it still cost a lot

2) ok we need to see it more in the future...
    11-25-13 04:38 AM
    my reply for number 1 and 2

1) but today BB10 dont have some popular apps official in their BB world. they cant make advertising to promoting sideload apps/unofficial apps....

yes youtube/twitter you can upload/promote your product for free...but most proven only as one time thing/ one hit wonders.. to get more exposure you have to pay youtube/twitter or other internet site to put your ads..and it still cost a lot

2) ok we need to see it more in the future...
    Really? I didn't know they can't do that. maybe they don't have to advertise it with their words, they can show the fun things you can do and call it social networking or something. No? For example, they can say "we have some of the greatest apps on BlackBerry World, 400,000+ apps (or what ever the true count is) and continues to grow".... "You also can access the Android App stores, where you can install all your favorite apps"....Security + Convenience + Double the total apps...Sounds like an offer the people who like new tech will hop on the next time around. With another line up for next year. Mr. Chen assures us that they're not stopping here.

Yea we will. But if they have something to show of this new year, they are going show it off as much as they can without going broke or being in debt. If they are confident with the next delivery of an Updated OS, + BB10(orBB11) Phones, it would be silly not to.
    11-25-13 10:42 PM
    This poster, has said a lot of really misguided things in this thread and another to which I replied to him. You see he is a marketing student, is reading about BB in class (this is the take-home message from the class, I would certainly run from this prof/university! LOL) It is people like YOU who are countering the stock and marketing efforts, and yes, he believes that Chen's vision of mobile computing is correct, and he believes Chen understands what it takes......(I believe he receives messages from Chen while he sleeps). Kids today..... :-)
    Yes, sorry but typical Orange County (home of Irvine) snake oil.
    That's what I'm talking about baby! We're risin' up, back to the top. I bet you no one predicted that increase.
    “teenths”, good days for trading (Blocks of 10,000+). But for a learning experience, mostly listen and observe.
    … BB has absolutely nothing to fight it and keep it from occurring in all those other markets. Actually it was probably iphone that did the heavy damage to BB in the developed markets, whereas it's cheap android - as you and others mention - leading the attack in many of these other markets. BB07 certainly cannot sustain a fight into the future....it would be like trying to hold back a modern army with a sword, a lance, and a suit of armor. In any country where data plans can be offered reasonably BB07 will lose it's ground. .... I don't think BBM has much of a future in developed nations but in these last holdouts, BBM may well help accelerate the disappearance of BB07.
    Exactly on point, a vice with competitor jaws from two sides—IOS on top end and Droid on low end. Ironically, but as predicted, “universal BBM” will likely crowd out (rather than enhance) BB07, the best money current making enterprise for BB. BB07 (and 05) were champs but even with Team [L]ance on steroids, BB can't hold a sword to the new army of competition.
    $150 [dpay]with contract? or for an unlocked phone? I think if it’s with a contract, then that's cool. Even $100 [dpay] for a Z10 is good with contract, and $50 for the Q5 with contract. That's my take, but I wouldn't know what all of India's population is willing to pay.
    I will present this number over and over until the last scavenger understands the financial certainty. BB is bleeding $100+/OS10 today (gross) and probably $200+/phone (net) of the profitability taken from its legacy phones. [Note: round numbers here] BB, I suppose, now could flood the market with OS10 and take a billion hit, along with maybe throwing in 750mm in marketing. This would be a last stand and a gutsy--near all or nothing—type move. I assure you that BB doesn’t have the horses (brain power) for this maneuver, however, and is simply grooming itself for a sale of assets with a possible spin-off product segment to survive under the BB name. (Historically, this is how almost all these distressed companies are put slowly to sleep.) Having said all this, BB might make a strategic purchase (or strategic alliance as proposed elsewhere in this forum) that might launch CB into a new direction or enhance some current BB product/service.
    "Maintain an image"? Sorry but they are going to have to spend millions, probably close to a billion to overcome their current image. Apps are improving, but [remains] a Long way to go before they have what consumers will be willing to "deal" with. But there are multiple problems[still] keeping consumers away.
    Ditto, see above. What might have cost a half billion nine months ago, surely would cost near a billion today.

In my opinion, they are doing fine. Sure they could use a bigger team if necessary to develop their software quicker, but they are doing well as a software company. … hoping that all those who currently have BBM (Over 20+ Million users), once ready, can enjoy the APP as they will already have access to the app using their current BBID …They would lose all their legacy device owners. .. I can understand a price cut, but not for all devices. At least not a steep cut for each. Just decrease where it is due. Only to make up for some of the losses, but don't give it for free and have BlackBerry looking like a cheap old company. How will they maintain that luxurious/prestigious image?
    There is potential with BBM but not nearly enough to prop the company. This might be one of the assets that Prem enhances to dump when he’s ready to jump out. Whoa Nellie, back-up, it’s going to take far more than 20mm users to make any difference. If this doesn’t jump to 100+mm, forget it as a waste of time (and strategic capital). As mentioned atop, however, it is likely not to attract any more base to BB10 and likely will accelerate the runoff of BB07 (as you hint “…lose all their legacy…”). Where a comment about BB OS10 software is doing fine, I won't even dignify with a response. To think what these professed (BBM) enhancements might have meant to BB four, even two years ago. Sigh….

Remember, as you pound your thoughts on reducing prices on OS10. Every BB10 phone sold loses money and although BB can make a decision to build its base through loss leading in exchange for the gamble of future profit: It may be an all or none affair given their bleeding of cash. That is, BB will not make up losses but, rather, accelerate losses by selling at lower prices. BB would then be gambling that their next (probably hardware) product enhanced by BB10.? (or BB11) would result in higher rollover sales by current users (a rollover base that has dwindled today to <15mm?!). [I’ve never known BB to be luxurious nor prestigious. At one time BB was known as a workhorse or tool for business or personal affairs; that’s about the extent of the glamour. Porsche model is a non-money making, albeit probably immaterial, 100k unit distraction for BB. But, hey, Apple may miss\ grand opptys by not doing more specialty model marketing of this nature where they could leverage glitz and sell into the millions.]
    And here I am having bought at $12 and held all the way through $18. Meh tax deductible and my sum isn't too big. I like to look at the upside. Be brave when those around you are afraid. Be afraid when they're brave. Just don't risk the farm doing it!
    Better quote might read something like: Don’t be foolish when others around you display intelligence. Learn your instincts from the animals: When the flock runs, death draws near. Why would you ride a stock, otherwise in a long-term deep decline, back up 50% and not stop your loss through a sale, even if to re-acquire the same shares at a future point in time?
    I did get an A, I think. But if not, a B definitely. And I live in Orange, next to CSUF. The University of Business. And thanks (MC65c02) for the wishes bud!
    …. I'm saying its a marketing problem. Period! Not a matter of how the device operates. People don't have the device now because they don't know much about it. There was only one BlackBerry to look at in stores. This will all change, and carriers will not stop supporting the company. And if that happened. You don't think [BB] will sell online. … So guys, do I sound like a little high schooler or what?
    You’re sticking much too strongly with this "marketing problem scenario", as a few others have in this forum. Certainly, BB cannot be said to have had a great marketing effort in anything that I remember. But, for five years, BB had a product that was in high demand and, nearly, sold itself. It is much too simplified to cite marketing as reason for failure of OS10. Would you have had BB sell 5-10mm Z10 phones (at any $) in March?: Sounds good on the surface, but I’ll repeat what has been quoted since, well, since early April. BB10 was not ready for prime time: It couldn’t perform the functions of even its own legacy devices when it was released. While it probably remains a step in the right direction, it was a slap in the face of every consumer that had awaited their new BB10 phone only to find the quality not to expectations of past BB products (let alone current smart phones). Most notably, however, this was a slap in the face to the legacy rollovers of professional users that couldn’t even match the performance/dependability for performing the basic functions from their prior BB devices. The BB10 carrier return rates in subsequent months, indeed, were greater than new BB10 sales for many outlets.

Bottom Line: More marketing probably would have made no difference but, moreover, potentially have destroyed BB’s financials even more than already has occurred. While many of the fatal flaws of BB10 at intro have been remedied, many also persist. In the meantime, year end will mark a half-life of the strategic plunge by release of BB10.
    That is to say, in this industry, one rarely corrects the mistake of the past but, rather, simply tries to catch up to the future. BB10 hasn’t caught up to IOS and Android nor carved a material niche market that will generate revenues, let alone profits, for the future.

Yes, with a bit of experience it becomes easier to place someone geographically. Blind, fanboy support is okay but it fails to hold an informed audience if not substantiated by a modicum of logic or fact. But do you know what gives away your Orange County heritage/attitude? Finally, to your high school image, you’re becoming more polished and progressed into the early college years.
    Problem is that BBM cross platform has proven making more BB users from emerging market...migrate to other platforms. Here is situation in indonesia home of 15 million BB users: [url=BlackBerry collaborates with producers in Indonesia] Another rumour about Q30 or Z50 [is still only] a rumour, most majority people outside CB never heard of it...[nor have they ever] heard about BB10, Z10 etc.

[E]ven if true, BB still needs to find a way to sell their product, many carriers and stores … now refuse to sell BB … only selling it online… [L]ast week BB10 was getting another cut in price in some markets….Z30 marketing is weak because of fear that it [also] will not [sell]. Adding Q30 and Z50 will only burn BB [cash]...[unless] serious OS Improvement, apps selection, better pricing and marketing.

BB10 ability also not attracting many BB users/fans who should know BB10 capabilities. It just seems many are not interested in OS10. And [greater marketing BB10 capabilities] needs lot of money...something today BB doesn’t have. Yes, you are one BB fan, as is your choice....and as also your choice how to invest your money. But let me remind you as I know you made this thread to see other people's points of view. Mixing business and emotion are not good....you still have to do research, knowing and manage the risk and put your objective mind before you put your hard earned money to stock market.
    If nothing else, heed the (my bolding) of this posters remarks. [Note: Some slight editing and bold added for clarity.]
    [Indian Telecom Article] BlackBerry is targeting its strong markets hard. If parts of the world continue to care about a company, then they will remain in the handset business. Just because the U.S. has somewhat given up on BlackBerry, it doesn't mean the company isn't going to do well with sales. As I said before, targeting the responsive markets is a must. It seems that India gets marketed too well. And the population responds back. They are more knowledgeable about BlackBerry's and their power over there as well as other parts of the world. We could be like that too. Since, advertising is weak in many parts, mostly in the U.S., we could be the bridge...feed consumers info, and let them know what BlackBerry is doing. Please if you don't use a BlackBerry or don't like the company, then don't respond (with negative feedback). This is specifically for those who want BlackBerry to succeed.
    BB is doing little or nothing at present in the marketplace. BB has done nothing since early July when it became clear that they had to sell, or find a temporary capital infusion. Today, Prem/Chen are finalizing some grand 2-3yr plan to find a return on their equity. Otech, BTW BB U.S. BB10 sales trends are indicative of sales WW; the negative cash drain (and no free cash generation) by BB means a continued sale of assets as well as a continued cut in BB service & R&D. There are no BB10 sales in India, nor China, nor Latin A., nor London, nor Europe, nor Africa, and not the U.S. either. [Note: Always review the financial statements first: There hasn't been any BBRY value over ~$5-7/share (since 2011) but for a huge success in OS10 (that never materialized) or some party plunking down a wad of cash in overpayment for BB. Future cash generation was forecast, and did, dry up from on-going operations of BB10 (almost concurrent with its release). Today, there is no net cash generated from aggregated operations. No conjecture here, just facts (and, if anything, inflated to BB's interests).] So India is the future for BB?!? … BB should make that last stand with the responsive Indians?!? Interesting!! [Note: "No" sales, of course, means in the material, statistical sense.]
    As I said... BIS PLAN ... means nothing to anyone upgrading to BB10. Thus the reason that I don't think that BlackBerry can "regain" these developing markets where they were once popular. Especially if someone can go buy a $100 smartphone and download BBM-X and have the same experience as their buddy on a $400 Q5 on the same monthly plan. As for best in class keyboard... that is like saying you make the best parachutes. Sure people that need parachutes are going to come to you, but that is a niche market. I'm not planning to jump out of any airplane.
    Yes, it's worth repeating: BB10 has no cross-pollination with BB legacy devices and BBM’s availability on other platforms allows the lowest priced (semi-) smart phone to download. … The demand for a BB OS10 keyboard is not a measurable, material market share niche, as once thought would attract a percentage of the smart phone consumers...only a few (and fewer than planned) legacy users from a legitimate original 40mm base. And, worthy of a last note, a very high percentage of OS10 phones have been purchased not as a primary or sole phone for the user, but as a second or third phone. ... This multi-phone trend I'm not so sure will survive into the future.
    Last edited by M65c02; 11-26-13 at 01:37 PM.
    aniym, chr1sny and techvisor like this.
    11-26-13 10:35 AM
    HEY, IS EVERYONE on vacation w/o their devices, or is this thread dead!? ANYWAY, Holiday Safety Update!!
    You think it's awesome that your text messages are more important than road safety? I don't.
    I hope you are kidding. Typing and taking selfies while driving is a recipe for disaster. While your thoughts and reckless investment in BBRY will likely "only" cost you money, these other decisions may cost you your life and even worse, the lives of others who you might kill while doing so. Make good decisions, be mature.....
    Otech, you do realize that you have chronicled your propensity to drive and text, your location in the U.S., and even your photograph. Highly persuasive evidence should you have an accident: Some things are best kept to oneself. .... Update: There is no message, absolutely no message, that is important enough to send while driving!! Remember during holidays, and otherwise too.
    Man, I think you guys should stop ganging up against the kid. Give it a rest already. He might be wrong but I wish that I still have his youth, passion, and boldness. These are the characteristics that drive us forward, not your old conservative backward mindset that you called experience. …. leave the kid alone.
    Plasmid, my sage friend, you may have arrived late at this party: This one may be deserved, just an educational process here! This is a short thread based on OP having spent less for a few shares of BBRY than some (me included) did on their (pre-) intro Z10’s. We are all students but history/experience is absolutely the best teacher. … This is the one that may drive us into the ground (see upper post).

… But no faulting your logic in stating a desire, somehow, to recapture a bit of lost youth and passion… I’d certainly trade about 100k BBRY shares to reclaim ten-fifteen years myself? However, I might use other words to substitute for the descriptor, boldness.
    Found it! This is a little old, so it doesn't say that it supports BB10. But it does say it's free for those who bank with Permata... and to transfer to those who don't have Permata it is 52 cents. That's pretty low if you ask me. And I think that could be amazing.
    I thought that Permata was a floor polish?! LOL Certainly BBM has untapped potential but as cited elsewhere, BB has to move very swiftly.
    ... I'm not learning from my University Professor. I'm learning and observing from work I'm doing; from talking to people who have no clue about BlackBerry and its capabilities. You guys just sit and talk to people on here. When these aren't even the consumers. I actually deal with consumers, and I get their opinions. I see where BlackBerry is going wrong. And it is in the marketing. It is the word of mouth from people like you guys. Saying "Oh BlackBerry is going out of business". Do you even know what you are talking about [on this thread]? You give consumers the wrong image. I thought I was talking to knowledgeable people here who can look past the stock market, and look at why the stock market is weak.

[Grading Note: Otech, first, I do hope that your Prof doesn't read CB. Sounds rather sophomoric, was this a mis-print?: Re-read the bolded clause. Also, read in earlier posts why marketing is only a part of the problem, and maybe not even the greatest shortfall by BB. Regardless, get that resume to Prem, pronto. News Flash: Blackberry as we knew it has gone out of business! The financial marketplace and rating service passed judgment long before the CB forum. BTW, CB is in a phase of voluntary reorganization/restructure[/I After-all, as OP, Otech, you did name the thread “I bought my first shares”: BTW perhaps your Freudian slip, but the stock market is extremely strong, the BBRY $ is weak.]

What is truly affecting BB.....I honestly can't explain more. The only thing I can do, is talk about my experience with BlackBerry, and to try and convince those with an iPhone or Android to switch. I actually want to save this company. It’s not all emotions. If I didn't think BlackBerry was good I wouldn't recommend it. In addition, before I got the Q10 I [looked at the HTC but used an Iphone free for a month. I waited until later in the summer to get the Q10 with a keyboard rather than the Z.] I knew BlackBerry's capabilities. I wasn't tooo stubborn to give up my iPhone 5. ...

[Grading Note: Now you’re retreating from your original BB marketing malady type premise. Most CBers also simply talk about their experiences with BB. BTW, are you talking stock or the phones. Your thread refers to the shares. Yes, we understand your position: It’s 186shares, texting to classmates, and 2 BB10 phones bought on sale. If you are justifying buying the phones based on your skin in the game at 186 shares, I don’t think that will carry much weight

Further, remember or learn that a sizeable number of posters have used BB since, well, since before you could spell tweet. That, I would guess in your case (not all cases), about covers the experience end of things. Now, on a different note, we might also talk about the importance of understanding financial statements and product cycles in the high tech (or any) industry, but I think also that there’s been enough short lessons in that regard.]

A market of iSHEEP and Android lovers. It was too big of a switch/leap for the simpletons to make. I ain't talking out of my ***. It's the truth dammit.
    H'mm, in the end, I’m scratching my head with your last statement Otech. You’ve flailed with many comments (for which it was more convenient to critique above in italics) including a vague reference to a lack of BB marketing as a/the key issue to the overwhelming BB10 failure. I agree that BB has had a weakness in this regard but it may be more of a Pandora’s box than the panacea to salvation you (and some others) exude.

Further, you must concede to shooting yourself in the foot where you attempt to denegrate ostensibly 99.6+% of the consumer market: [The consumers] are too simpleton to understand BB10 and, therefore presumptively, they do not purchase BB10 phones. Assuming that there may be (some) truth in your statement, what does that tell us about BB’s ability to address a consumer need?? Is BB going to create a consumer demand for its OS10 or is it going to meet the consumer’s demand for a smart phone as otherwise addressed by IOS and Droid phones. Therefore, if BB is going to uncover some unfound demand not yet addressed by its competition, it must find a way to address the simpletons …. notwithstanding that BB10 is a great OS but doesn’t address the desires of the simpleton’s (that constitute 99+% of the marketplace) ?!? H’mmm, again interesting. …… You need to tighten up your arguments before presentation in class!! Good luck.
    Last edited by M65c02; 11-27-13 at 10:27 AM.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-27-13 09:34 AM
    HEY, IS EVERYONE on vacation w/o their devices, or is this thread dead!? ANYWAY, Holiday Safety Update!!
    Otech, you do realize that you have chronicled your propensity to drive and text, your location in the U.S., and even your photograph. Highly persuasive evidence should you have an accident: Some things are best kept to oneself. .... Update: There is no message, absolutely no message, that is important enough to send while driving!! Remember during holidays, and otherwise too.
    I get it. I will no longer tell you guys when I text and drive, and where I am talking to you from. It could be in Africa or The Middle East or even India, but I still wont let you know where the message is coming from. No matter how sure I am that I will not cause an accident. And so you know, accidents happen for 1000000000^10 zillion reasons. And only one of them is due to texting while driving. I didn't cause the accidents that have already happened to those who have been texting. And to be honest, I am not doing it to purely show off. I am not a newb. Please talk to me like I've been driving for 7 years already (which is a fact). I wont do it, just please do cut it out.

Plasmid, my sage friend, you may have arrived late at this party: This one may be deserved, just an educational process here! This is a short thread based on OP having spent less for a few shares of BBRY than some (me included) did on their (pre-) intro Z10’s. We are all students but history/experience is absolutely the best teacher. … This is the one that may drive us into the ground (see upper post).
    I chose to get it low because I can afford it, it has lower risk and shows higher potential. You may have a bunch of money in BB, but you have a big sum to make back up. And you continue to talk down about it. Well maybe you should pull out while you're ahead because you stand a much higher chance of coming out with a loss, compared to me. If (edit) I were one of the people who invested when it was soaring, then that would've a mistake, and unforeseen one; at least when iPhone's came out, luckily I wasn't into stocks back then. But if you were experienced then as you are now, you would have pulled out right when you saw the iPhone hit, or maybe after a couple drops in stock value. I'm sorry you have lost a lot, but this isn't a reason to keep saying it will be bad. Because if history repeated all the time, we would continue to have White Presidents in the United States. This should give you a little insight on the truth about history. I am not against your ways of analyzing the market, but I certainly find my way a more accurate way of making assumptions and predictions.

… But no faulting your logic in stating a desire, somehow, to recapture a bit of lost youth and passion… I’d certainly trade about 100k BBRY shares to reclaim ten-fifteen years myself? However, I might use other words to substitute for the descriptor, boldness.
    I thought that Permata was a floor polish?! LOL Certainly BBM has untapped potential but as cited elsewhere, BB has to move very swiftly.
    Permata isn't what's bringing them back. Man, I seriously talk on here like its not a bunch of young bucks and people who can't understand where I am coming from. We know my point was that it has potential and is already proving to hold some truth.

H'mm, in the end, I’m scratching my head with your last statement Otech. You’ve flailed with many comments (for which it was more convenient to critique above in italics) including a vague reference to a lack of BB marketing as a/the key issue to the overwhelming BB10 failure. I agree that BB has had a weakness in this regard but it may be more of a Pandora’s box than the panacea to salvation you (and some others) exude.
    Further, you must concede to shooting yourself in the foot where you attempt to denegrate ostensibly 99.6+% of the consumer market: [The consumers] are too simpleton to understand BB10 and, therefore presumptively, they do not purchase BB10 phones. Assuming that there may be (some) truth in your statement, what does that tell us about BB’s ability to address a consumer need?? Is BB going to create a consumer demand for its OS10 or is it going to meet the consumer’s demand for a smart phone as otherwise addressed by IOS and Droid phones. Therefore, if BB is going to uncover some unfound demand not yet addressed by its competition, it must find a way to address the simpletons …. notwithstanding that BB10 is a great OS but doesn’t address the desires of the simpleton’s (that constitute 99+% of the marketplace) ?!? H’mmm, again interesting. …… You need to tighten up your arguments before presentation in class!! Good luck.
    Here is what is funny about that. I have certainly used an iPhone 5, HTC One S, and GSII after my encounter with BB. As a matter of fact, I was using the 8900 Bold before I dropped it in my jacuzzi, and decided that it gave me a reason to go get the 9900 Bold. I didn't like it, and I had some bugs between touch + scroll. The scroll would work and the touch wouldn't or vice verse. I knew it would be fixed, but I was impatient and wanted to experience something new. Because I knew it lacked and I wanted more what the iPhone and the Android people had. I was truly on the same boat that many who switched were on. And to be honest I wouldn't have known about the Bold without doing my own research back when it was only talked about. I was waiting for that baby slim baby! So that was marketing, and I'm glad they didn't market because it would've been a waste at the time.

Now the real point is, BB10 can do what it at first could not! And it can do it really well! But I have yet to hear about how awesome it is from BlackBerry themselves. I have yet to see any crazy ads about them. The only people who brag about it are those who own one and know how to make it do what we want it to. As of now I am on a leak which allows me to have 5 Android app stores, and 2 of them can be sideloaded Snap, and Droid Store with are Native BB apps. You mean to tell me they haven't done so much for the consumers to want it again? Those who are so tied to their iPhone and Android phone. That's fine be tied to it. But until they actually go out and mess with a BlackBerry10 phone they will not understand. When they're at the store checking out phones, they will always see BB as "the phone without apps." They wont say, "oh thats the Q5/Q10/Z10/Z30 which I can have Android apps on, but I actually want this other phone."

People need to be taught over again, they have become too accustomed to using iOS and Android (Windows mobile). That is all they know. And I bet you they don't know a thing about a Windows 8 phone. I can't say I know too much either. But it's definitely not as good as Windows 8 PC. At least that's the image I have in my head right now. Can you convince me otherwise? BB and the direction they are headed is the way a smartphone should be. And if it can do what an Android can, then what's stopping it from being better than Android? Why is it so hard to eat a chunk of that market? There has been absolutely pure silence about BB's capabilities. This is the biggest reason as to why it fails in the U.S., currently. But there is a reason Marketing & Sales are intertwined together. It is because they are the one who get in contact with the people. They communicate with them and tell them, hey our phone is way better than it used to be, and it sure is better than those other guys....Come on in and get to try out the new BlackBerry 10.2.1 OS where you can use it just like an Android or like a BlackBerry, you choose. Boom, "Oh what?! BlackBerry can be an Android too?! Woah!" - Super Happy Android Fans/Ex-BB Fans/iPhone escapees. That's a pretty big target to miss, if you are playing your cards right. So yea, I think it's a whole lot to do with marketing at the moment.

P.S. This is how I think. Like it, dislike it, that is your choice.
    Otech
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 11-28-13 at 03:18 AM.
    11-27-13 10:04 PM
    http://www.mobilitytechzone.com/topi...ng-what-we.htm

This article sheds some light on exactly what I was saying. Consumers have been fooled for quite a while, not knowing what a phone is really about. Read up guys!

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 04:53 PM
    I bought another 24 shares @ $6.38 this morning while I was asleep. Total shares owned: 189 Shares of BBRY.
    11-29-13 12:20 PM
    I bought another 24 shares @ $6.38 this morning while I was asleep. Total shares owned: 189 Shares of BBRY.
    You will have lost 20+% on that purchase Less than one month from now.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    11-29-13 10:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry i should rephrase that. You will be able to buy those shares 20+ % cheaper a month from now.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 10:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    I know zee3p0, I get that. But tell me how will I have won 1-2 years from today? This investment here is not to be touched until they bring the company rep up. I spoke to my uncle and he's been into stocks for a long time. And he advised me, he said something a long those lines. But he said forget about it, pretend you lost it. In fact, he said to move it to a qualified retirement account. And seeing that I can turn it into a savings account and not spend the money I make, it isn't a bad move. And for the speculation and daily market, he said to have that in a separate (non-qualified) account which I can pull out anytime and only gets taxed once. He's does advising and consulting for his big clients. And he gets a percentage of any profits. So I agree that in the short term, it is a loss. Meaning checking the value everyday isn't really helpful for me even though I still do it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Otech#CB; 11-30-13 at 02:17 AM.
    11-29-13 11:01 PM
    I know zee3p0, I get that. But tell me how will I have won 1-2 years from today? This investment here is not to be touched until they bring the company rep up. I spoke to my uncle and he's been into stocks for a long time. And he advised me, he said something a long those lines. But he said forget about it, pretend you lost it. In fact, he said to move it to a qualified retirement account. And seeing that I can turn it into a savings account and not spend the money I make, it isn't a bad move. And for the speculation and daily market, he said to have the in a separate account which I can pull out anytime and only gets taxed once. He's does advising and consulting for his big clients. And he gets a percentage of any profits. So I agree that in the short term, it is a loss. Meaning checking the value everyday isn't really helpful for me even though I still do it.

Posted via CB10
    I think within 2 years from now you will have had a chance to have doubled your money at least.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 11:35 PM
    I think within 2 years from now you will have had a chance to have doubled your money at least.

Posted via CB10
    Are you saying I'd double it investing in something else? Or that's your prediction for BlackBerry within 2 years?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 12:09 AM
    BlackBerry. The market cap on BlackBerry is around 3.5 billion, i would say it's a decent bet you would be able to double your money within 2 years at some point. I think the full effect of bbm alone is being vastly underestimated. BlackBerry needs to cut the cost down to turn a profit it is taking time but if they can do it the stock price will return nicely. If they can get it out of the red and get the market back on the bull side the book value will be accounted for in the stock price. For now though i only see down side for this quarter. Maybe that's already priced into the stock. Another write down will be ugly

Posted via CB10
    Otech#CB likes this.
    11-30-13 01:42 AM
    BlackBerry. The market cap on BlackBerry is around 3.5 billion, i would say it's a decent bet you would be able to double your money within 2 years at some point. I think the full effect of bbm alone is being vastly underestimated. BlackBerry needs to cut the cost down to turn a profit it is taking time but if they can do it the stock price will return nicely. If they can get it out of the red and get the market back on the bull side the book value will be accounted for in the stock price. For now though i only see down side for this quarter. Maybe that's already priced into the stock. Another write down will be ugly

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I am loving this. haha Didn't think I'd finally hear this from you. BBM is actually turning out nicely after all, as I expected. As you said a little slow, but I think they're on their way. I seen them add the BBM Channels page and it advertises to brands as well as regular people like us. I'm actually thinking of promoting my business, and sister's via BBM Channels (verified). Seems worthy enough to try out. And I bought two Z10's today. One for my Dad and one for my Mom, (they're divorced so it's two different households ). So we should see a jump in Z10 sales this quarter lol. But They may have sold out of the White Z10, on the site at least. Hope to see great things from the company once we get passed the Z10 sales/inventory. Yea, lets hope they cut/apply costs were necessary.
    11-30-13 02:15 AM
    I have about $500 total, at a cost of around $8.00 per share. If I lose the $500, so be it, but there is a pretty big upside if they recover...which it looks like they will at least in Enterprise. The shares will go back up, even if they can't gain back market-share in the consumer market (my opinion).
    Otech#CB likes this.
    12-03-13 11:11 AM
    I have about $500 total, at a cost of around $8.00 per share. If I lose the $500, so be it, but there is a pretty big upside if they recover...which it looks like they will at least in Enterprise. The shares will go back up, even if they can't gain back market-share in the consumer market (my opinion).
    Read the same opinion back when they were at $40, then at $20, then $16......

I don't see how the can grow with Enterprise only, especially with so much competition in this market now and BlackBerry still not having a competitive product in BES10 or BB10.

BBMx is really the only "hope" for a big change in the fortunes at BlackBerry, other than some surprise buyer willing to pay a premium for BBRY.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-04-13 04:00 PM
    Read the same opinion back when they were at $40, then at $20, then $16......

I don't see how the can grow with Enterprise only, especially with so much competition in this market now and BlackBerry still not having a competitive product in BES10 or BB10.

BBMx is really the only "hope" for a big change in the fortunes at BlackBerry, other than some surprise buyer willing to pay a premium for BBRY.
    Agreed, but they are making a change. And they are still moving forward and getting companies signed up.

I think they have hope on all ends; enterprise, software, and handsets could potentially bring the company up.

My opinion is this was a good investment for the sake of experience...ignoring all the positive talk and all the negative talk...a good investment. I think it will pay off especially at the price it was purchased.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 06:09 PM
    Agreed, but they are making a change. And they are still moving forward and getting companies signed up.
    And people said the same thing when TH came on board.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-04-13 06:36 PM
    And people said the same thing when TH came on board.
    Where was the market at during that period? It wasn't $6 or $8 that's for sure.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 07:25 PM
    On a positive note since they say sales in the US are essentialy zero, maybe the US media will just go away from the negative spin, then the Canadian media can follow because thats what they seem to do and everyone can forget about the phones (except the people that use them because they are great devices) the shorts will cover and if there is no bankruptcy and an amazing cost cutting show the ink will go black with the 30 000 test servers, and some bbm advertising revenue. Not saying 40 bucks a share here but 10 sounds fair.

Posted via CB10
    Otech#CB likes this.
    12-04-13 07:49 PM
    On a positive note since they say sales in the US are essentialy zero, maybe the US media will just go away from the negative spin, then the Canadian media can follow because thats what they seem to do and everyone can forget about the phones (except the people that use them because they are great devices) the shorts will cover and if there is no bankruptcy and an amazing cost cutting show the ink will go black with the 30 000 test servers, and some bbm advertising revenue. Not saying 40 bucks a share here but 10 sounds fair.

Posted via CB10
    Less than a year, my guess.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 11:54 PM
    Less than a year, my guess.

Posted via CB10
    Deja Vu.......

I just got an alert the BBRY is at $5.89..... think that is a safe buy in and I think you $6.49 might ok too. But I do fully expect it to go lower in the near term. But unless they total flub this up (it is BlackBerry) I would expect it to come up a little higher before an offer is made on the company (yes I know they aren't for sale.... ).

Now if this doesn't happen in the next six months, or they can't manage to reach critical mass with BBMx - then you will have to start worrying. At that point selling off assets is going to come into play to keep things going (and pay on that loan) and shareholders are really going to get the shaft then.

But to be at $10 next year... I see nothing in their current line up to indicate that have a product that would bring in the revenues that would instill the confidence with investors to get them to that point.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-05-13 02:09 PM
    So what revenue / profit forcast do you see "if" the 30 000 test servers commit? Thats the question. Forget about bbm. While we have heard from a few negative news reports about a few companies not using BlackBerry, what we haven't heard much of is from those that have signed on.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 03:33 PM
536 ... 910111213 ...