First thing to note is that the relative performance of the above investments vary over time. It could change next week.

Let's take today as a checkpoint to look at BBRY stock performance under Chairman Chen's regime. It has been claimed at various points that BBRY stock doubled under Chen, that it was was the best performing stock, and certainly beating AAPL.

Let's look at the stock performance since Chen and where we are today. All prices quoted below are from the USD NASDAQ exchange.

Chen became BlackBerry CEO on Nov 4 2013. When Chen was appointed CEO, BBRY stock was at historic low because of the "for sale sign". Closing Price:
    BBRY: $6.50, AAPL: $75.25, NASDAQ index: 3936.59

Closing price as of yesterday, July 1st:
    BBRY: $8.02, AAPL:126.60, NASDAQ index: 4996.46

BBRY had a 23% return in the 20 months since Chen took over. Honestly, this is not too shabby and kudos goes to Chen for righting the ship.
    Index fund that tracks NASDAQ had a return of 27%
    And for kicks, AAPL had a return of 67%
    chr1sny likes this.
    07-02-15 03:32 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    First thing to note is that the relative performance of the above investments vary over time. It could change next week.

Let's take today as a checkpoint to look at BBRY stock performance under Chairman Chen's regime. It has been claimed at various points that BBRY stock doubled under Chen, that it was was the best performing stock, and certainly beating AAPL.

Let's look at the stock performance since Chen and where we are today. All prices quoted below are from the USD NASDAQ exchange.

Chen became BlackBerry CEO on Nov 4 2013. When Chen was appointed CEO, BBRY stock was at historic low because of the "for sale sign". Closing Price:

Closing price as of yesterday, July 1st:
    BBRY: $8.02, AAPL:126.60, NASDAQ index: 4996.46

BBRY had a 23% return in the 20 months since Chen took over. Honestly, this is not too shabby and kudos goes to Chen for righting the ship.
    Index fund that tracks NASDAQ had a return of 27%
    And for kicks, AAPL had a return of 67%
    Easy to pick timelines however for the "average" LONG and Hold" bbry investor, like me, sadly, we are deep in the red on this and continue to patiently wait for a reversal... for me, many years with bbry... very sad investment indeed... but will hold.....

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 06:42 PM
    Chen will turn this around, but it's questionable how big the company will be overall, and it's unknown how much hardware will play a role in their future.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 02:05 PM
    Admittedly, there is a slump right now. The earnings call didn't show the best imaginable figures, but this was to be expected. It's still a work in progress,

but an up-and-down, sidelining, easy-to-manipulate stock means tons on reliable profit for the right people.

Pump, pump, (short) and dump...
    Pump, pump, (short) and dump...
    Rinse, repeat...

Make money on every up and every down cycle. Someone must love BlackBerry's stock. 8-12 dollars, ten on average, a few percent every time, what's not to love...?

:-D

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    07-05-15 11:54 PM
    Oh, the ol stock is down BS thread.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:27 AM
    Oh, the ol stock is down BS thread.

Posted via CB10
    As opposed to the old we are heading to $100 by the end of the year thread.....

It is what it is... Chen's plan hasn't come together just yet, so the market is reacting to the "what if it don't" work factor. Which is a real question that has to be asked, and there are much safe places to put your money. Along with the simple fact that the rewards are just not as high as they once were. Even if Chen's plan works, we aren't having that $100 party. Maybe in a few years a $20 - $25 party...
    techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    07-07-15 12:01 PM
    BlackBerry stock is now lower than when Chen took over. Of course the markets have been in a major slump lately. Despite this the index fund continues to prove a much better long term investment.

Chen became BlackBerry CEO on Nov 4, 2013. When Chen was appointed CEO, BBRY stock was at historic low because of the "for sale sign". Closing Price:

Closing price as of yesterday, Sep 28, 2015
    BBRY: $6.30, AAPL: $112.44, NASDAQ index: 4,543.97

BBRY had a -3% return in the 22 months since Chen took over.
    Index fund that tracks NASDAQ had a return of 15%
    And for kicks, AAPL had a return of 49%
    sati01, techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    09-29-15 08:19 AM
    You're doing a heck of a job Brownie, I mean Chen.

Blackberry Priv with physical keyboard to save the day!

Forgive me folks, I'm in a wisecracking mood.

Actually I still give Chen a chance to turn things around. But if that Priv don't sell, yikes!
    09-29-15 10:25 PM
    "Easy to pick timelines however for the "average" LONG and Hold" bbry investor, like me, sadly, we are deep in the red on this and continue to patiently wait for a reversal... for me, many years with bbry... very sad investment indeed... but will hold....."

Me to !

I'm not sure if I'm a savvy investor (clearly not) or completely delusional. I've been able to increase my holdings over time but am still deep underwater waiting for the "strategy" to translate into some profit. Recently I've read the Slider Android posts, both positive and negative, but I feel no sense of loss with respect to BB10 as the market has clearly voted it as a niche product ......at best. However, the Slider will probably not be a big winner as it's a niche product right from the start.

Our only hope is Blackberry can stitch all these acquisitions together to form a market leading product family in a sector that has some customer momentum. So far that has not happened, as the last quarter clearly demonstrated.

My biggest worry is that Blackberry has fallen so far so fast whatever product they release will have no credibility, not based on the product's merits but on the poor performance of the company's management.
    Alwar13 likes this.
    09-30-15 10:50 AM
    Me to !

I'm not sure if I'm a savvy investor (clearly not) or completely delusional. I've been able to increase my holdings over time but am still deep underwater waiting for the "strategy" to translate into some profit. Recently I've read the Slider Android posts, both positive and negative, but I feel no sense of loss with respect to BB10 as the market has clearly voted it as a niche product ......at best. However, the Slider will probably not be a big winner as it's a niche product right from the start.

Our only hope is Blackberry can stitch all these acquisitions together to form a market leading product family in a sector that has some customer momentum. So far that has not happened, as the last quarter clearly demonstrated.

My biggest worry is that Blackberry has fallen so far so fast whatever product they release will have no credibility, not based on the product's merits but on the poor performance of the company's management.
    That is a HUGE worry....

And if BlackBerry doesn't release another BB10 Device, and in six months admits that BB10 is done. Eventually existing customers will have to make decisions about what direction they want too take going forward without BB10. Just fall in line and use the new BlackBerry Android devices, and hope BlackBerry keeps making and supporting those. Or move to a new platform that isn't always in flux.
    10-01-15 07:59 AM
    According to the stockberrians, it's never a bad time to buy BBRY since you're either buying on the upswing or getting the stock at a bargain price! Funny how the so called long term investors over there try to defend the profitability of BBRY by saying they've made money trading on its short term dips and bounces (day trading). Talk about moving the goal posts.
    10-01-15 09:17 AM
    Let's do another checkpoint after the latest earnings report.

Chen became BlackBerry CEO on Nov 4, 2013. When Chen was appointed CEO, BBRY stock was at historic low because of the "for sale sign". Closing Price:

Closing price as of yesterday, Apr 1 2016
    BBRY: $7.48, AAPL: $109.99, NASDAQ index: 4,914.54

BBRY has a 15% return in the 2.5 years since Chen took over. This return lags the overall market.
    Index fund that tracks NASDAQ had a return of 25%
    And for kicks, AAPL had a return of 46%
    04-02-16 12:31 PM
    Let's do another checkpoint after the latest earnings report.

Closing price as of yesterday, Apr 1 2016
    BBRY: $7.48, AAPL: $109.99, NASDAQ index: 4,914.54

BBRY has a 15% return in the 2.5 years since Chen took over. This return lags the overall market.
    Index fund that tracks NASDAQ had a return of 25%
    And for kicks, AAPL had a return of 46%
    lol, prem should have just hired an index fund as the new CEO 🙄
    04-03-16 06:01 AM
    lol, prem should have just hired an index fund as the new CEO ��
    They should have taken their $3B in cash and bought Apple stock. Blackberry would have been so much further ahead.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-03-16 07:50 AM
    lol, prem should have just hired an index fund as the new CEO ��
    Actually, he could have saved the CEO money and associated costs and simply invested in index funds. The purpose of private equity is to generate excess returns beyond what the overall market can offer. It would also have been a lower risk strategy.
    04-03-16 08:46 AM
    According to the stockberrians, it's never a bad time to buy BBRY since you're either buying on the upswing or getting the stock at a bargain price! Funny how the so called long term investors over there try to defend the profitability of BBRY by saying they've made money trading on its short term dips and bounces (day trading). Talk about moving the goal posts.
    I bet the folks at Fairfax, are careful not to say the name BlackBerry around him.

I think Chen has done an admiral job with want he had to work with. But that doesn't change the fact that BBRY was and is a poor investment... For most long term players.
    04-03-16 09:02 PM
    One of the recent tricks that I learned over there is selling naked puts. You are selling someone the right to "put" the stock on you at a certain price on a given date. You get immediate income from the sale of the option. If the stock ends up above the strike price then the option expires and you don't have to do anything. If the stock ends up below the strike price then you must buy the stock from them at the strike price.

The income is immediate - you made money. However, the fact that you bought the stock at an inflated price merely represents a paper loss, especially if you are certain the stock will go way up in the long term. That's how they feel they are ahead - they earned some income and bought some stock they feel is very undervalued.

That's how they are ahead - they own a bunch of stock that they are absolutely certain is undervalued. They don't feel they have lost anything even though the stock has lost more than half of its value during a significant bull market.
    notfanboy, chr1sny and techvisor like this.
    04-03-16 11:12 PM