Just released:

Operating System Highlights

Android finished the year where it began: as the clear leader in the smartphone operating system race. Samsung led all Android vendors with a commanding 39.5% share of shipments for the year. Worth watching is a crowded list of vendors jockeying for position in 2014, including Huawei, LG, Lenovo, Coolpad, and Sony. Should Lenovo's bid to acquire Motorola Mobility be realized, the new company will leap ahead of Huawei, which was the number 2 Android vendor in 2013.

iOS posted the lowest positive growth for both the quarter (6.7%) and for the year (12.9%), underperforming the overall market in both instances. Although it remains wildly popular in the smartphone market, Apple has been criticized for not offering a new low-cost iPhone nor a large screen iPhone in 2013 to compete with other OEMs. IDC believes the company will release a large-screen version in 2014, but will not altogether abandon the smaller 4" screen version of previous models.

Windows Phone posted the largest increase for both the quarter (46.7%) and the year (90.9%), with each nearly doubling the growth of the overall market. Nokia easily led all vendors with 89.3% market share, a testament to its expanding portfolio that addressed entry-level all the way up to large-screen smartphones. What remains to be seen in 2014 is how Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's smart devices will propel volumes higher.

BlackBerry was the only operating system to realize negative year-over-year change both for the quarter (-77.0%) and for the year (-40.9%). Moreover, its legacy BB7 outpaced BB10 towards the end of the year, definitely not the results that the company had hoped for when it released BB10 in January. With new leadership, management, and a tighter focus on the enterprise market, BlackBerry may in a better position, but still finds itself having to evangelize the new platform to its user base.
    Android and iOS Continue to Dominate the Worldwide Smartphone Market with Android Shipments Just Shy of 800 Million in 2013, According to IDC - prUS24676414

You can see the actual tables here:

Smartphone platforms in 2013: Android, iOS, and irrelevant | CITEworld

Thoughts about how to crack the increasingly strong duopolopy?
    02-12-14 11:12 AM
    Thanks for the heads up on the new numbers.

It's apparent that BB10 is not slowing the downward trend in worldwide sales and marketshare. But I think we all knew this to be the case.

As to how to "crack" the duopoly..... something new. It will take some new and very desirable feature to do it, along with lots and lots of marketing.
    02-12-14 11:36 AM

It's apparent that BB10 is not slowing the downward trend in worldwide sales and marketshare. But I think we all knew this to be the case.

As to how to "crack" the duopoly..... something new. It will take some new and very desirable feature to do it, along with lots and lots of marketing.
    And lots of freebies. People love free stuff.
    02-12-14 11:45 AM
    Pretty quiet thread, I'm surprised more people haven't commented on these brutal numbers for BB. Maybe the excuses are finally running out and reality is setting in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    cwalt2166, techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    02-13-14 05:12 AM
    Shipping 1.7 million devices in a quarter will do that everytime
    02-13-14 05:38 AM

The Blackberry name is mud in the mainstream....Especially in the US. It will be tough to market out of that situation
    02-13-14 05:50 AM
    There's nothing unusual in a brand new platform not seeing immediate large scale adoption, especially when there are questions about the longterm viability of their parent company.

Neither Apple nor Android sold tens of millions of phones in the first year their platforms were released. Apple only sold 6 million of the original iPhones in the first year. The HTC Dream sold only 1 million phones on the T-Mobile network from it's release in October 2008 until April 2009.
    02-13-14 05:58 AM
    The Blackberry name is mud in the mainstream....Especially in the US. It will be tough to market out of that situation
    The US Media just gives it's own corporate overlords a handie-j under the table.
    02-13-14 05:59 AM
    That maybe true but there were a billion smartphones shipped last year, much more than in 08-09 and more importantly their numbers are dropping quarter to quarter.

JeepBB, techvisor and kbz1960 like this.
    02-13-14 06:02 AM
    There's nothing unusual in a brand new platform not seeing immediate large scale adoption, especially when there are questions about the longterm viability of their parent company.

Neither Apple nor Android sold tens of millions of phones in the first year their platforms were released. Apple only sold 6 million of the original iPhones in the first year. The HTC Dream sold only 1 million phones on the T-Mobile network from it's release in October 2008 until April 2009.
    if you count majority BB sales come from BBOS, they dont have tens of million BB10 sold, BB have release 4 BB10 product, and original iphone still outselling them when the smartphone maket not as big as today
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    02-13-14 06:11 AM
    The damage caused by the Thor regime is sickening,thank god Prem bought in ,and has taken the company in a new direction ,with Chen at the helm.There is no future in the past,that's for sure.Looking forward is where the company has to focus,imagine if the same crew of mouchers were around ,my nightmare ,and many other stockholders as well.Now we have to sit tight and believe that BB will be profitable in the future ,too bad for all those that were let go,I mean the average Joe's
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-13-14 06:23 AM
    The damage caused by the Thor regime is sickening,thank god Prem bought in ,and has taken the company in a new direction ,with Chen at the helm.There is no future in the past,that's for sure.Looking forward is where the company has to focus,imagine if the same crew of mouchers were around ,my nightmare ,and many other stockholders as well.Now we have to sit tight and believe that BB will be profitable in the future ,too bad for all those that were let go,I mean the average Joe's
    You can't blame Thor for this mess. The company was in shambles long before he took over. The last successful product was the original storm (from sales pov). Pathetic numbers, considering Blackberry is always boasting about their 60+ million users. It's going to take a super device + millions/billions (the company may have to throw in their soul) of dollars to change the perception of Blackberry.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and tre10 like this.
    02-13-14 06:33 AM
    Thor was given helm of a sinking ship and he assumed that he could right it..... but he just continued on the path that his masters had set him own.

Chen has that same sinking ship, and while many are overly optimistic about this, In truth I think all he really plans to do his save all the valuable painting and dinner ware and load the life boats up and get off.
    TGR1, kbz1960, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    02-13-14 07:16 AM
    That maybe true but there were a billion smartphones shipped last year, much more than in 08-09 and more importantly their numbers are dropping quarter to quarter.

It's because the thread is in BBRY. No one reads the BBRY subforum, especially now that the interest in BBRY stock is cooling down (in terms of both long/short positions). Even most of Crackberry's former, super confident longs have sold out.

Should have made the thread in News and Rumors or General Discussion.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-13-14 06:23 PM
    These numbers should not be a surprise to anyone, Chen hasn't implemented anything new yet, it's still based on management decisions made years ago, we need to be patient. BlackBerry has a lot going for it, the plan is on paper and the implementation is coming. This week we will see a new device with some new marketing, and if we're lucky there may be some surprise announcements. Also, if the Z30 is a reflection of where the devices are going, I can't wait to see its successor, the Z30 is a fantastic device, and OS10.2.1 is equally fantastic.

Z30 on 10.2.1.537 in Canada
    02-23-14 10:20 AM