View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    My guess is that people feel that too many bb10 leaks have come out and from the leaks there doesn't seem to be anything special. Therefore no reason to invest till possibly the week of jan 30th. If the stock was climbing, then people would invest just so they don't miss out on gains, but since it's not climbing, no reason to put money in right now.

Also, the chance of rimm announcing anything amazing has dropped since so much has already leaked (aka higher risk for a speculator)
    01-04-13 11:07 AM
    who here has 6 figures or more invested in RIMM stock?
    I have for months. If you include numbers on both sides of the decimal point... :-)
    01-04-13 11:09 AM
    I don't believe anyone in this thread has such amount (you're talking $million, isn't it ? We're more likely in the $hundreds or $thousands range).

P.S: and if ever one had, I strongly suggest he keeps this private. This is a public forum. Keep critical information safe.
    01-04-13 12:04 PM
    I really don't like the way the stock is performing this last week or so. Down in up markets, is $12 putting in a base to launch from or is it resistance and a top???? Worries me that the big guys may have bought the rumor and are starting to sell the news. The shorts are mostly OK here, no need to panic for most of them, especially if they rode the gap up from 12 to 14. I also worry about what great things might happen come Jan 30th that cause a real pop? I hope they are great phones as I plan on getting one, and that it gets good press coverage and reviews, and I also hope you all do well with the stock, but I don't have the stomach for it. At this point I am just not sure how much upside you can expect from the launch, I think a solid, but not spectacular launch is baked in already and sales numbers won't be know for a few months thereafter. Have a great weekend!
    As I invested only a small part of my savings (of my available liquidities in fact); I'm not nervous as the current waggles sounds like expected (expectable ?).
    I believe $11.5 - $12.5 is now the pivot we're going to navigate until launch (as consensus seems ok with $12 "fair value") unless there's something big leaked or announced before the 30th.
    My position is now to avoid watching the stock twice a day (at last ... lol), but since you mention it, I just had a look ... and the $12 resistance may be broken again today ...
    As stated before, I'm now real long up to 2 years ... that's a more comfortable position, furthermore less time consuming !
    Relax !

Oh, BTW the 1yr Target Est is now over $10.1 ... was under $9 a few weeks (a month ?) ago. (P.S: I know we shouldn't give any credit to this, but, you know ...)
    Still the poll result is now over 51% with 26 extra votes ... cool (see ref pic in this thread)
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    01-04-13 12:17 PM
    I have $12,000 invested which represents 30% of my portfolio. I'm still at a small loss, but will be at break-even around the 12.50 mark. I started buying at around 30$, but when the stock was between 7-10$, I added significantly to my position.
    01-04-13 02:16 PM
    Me...call me crzay but huge gamble..no risk, no gain..
    01-04-13 03:33 PM
    I'm in heavy as well and will continue to accumulate more if good opportunities arise.

I stopped checking daily now though. I'm in it for the long haul. I'll be holding out till 2014.
    BlackberryTorcher and s0be like this.
    01-04-13 07:30 PM
    I check it daily simply cause I trade other stocks. OT but Iron seems to be making a bit of a comeback. Mining stocks could be a good short-term play...
    01-04-13 07:37 PM
    wah ... didn't know we had some big player here ...
    01-05-13 11:45 AM
    I just bought a few shares myself. This is a gesture to show my commitment to RIM. I believe RIM will gain much needed footing in the smartphone market in the coming year. Also I trust in RIM as a brand and believe they will be around for many years to come. I purchased the shares to hold for the next 8-10 years. I do not plan to sit and watch the market everyday to buy or sell when its up or down. I believe in the Warren Buffet way of investing which states that if you believe in a brand, you should buy and hold the stock forever. That's my input, suffice to say I do believe that the stock prices will rise in the coming months - years due to gained market share from the release of the game changing BB10.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-05-13 11:51 AM
    100,000 is six figures, not 1,000,000. I don't have that much in it but I still have a few thousand shares. If it takes off, I will have a lot of money. If it doesn't, I might lose $10,000.
    Seems like a good bet, especially now that there is no doubt the new product will launch.
    When I started buying it, there was still speculation that it would never come to be.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-05-13 11:55 AM
    I check daily because I like seeing how it does. I don't intend to sell soon unless the price collapses. I tried day trading and I had to buy the shares back at a higher level than I sold them at.
    I still made money but lost shares and it was too nerve racking watching for every irrational up and down.
    01-05-13 11:58 AM
    I own one or two shares.

One for short-term, one long term
    01-05-13 12:10 PM
    Looks like it is time to post another chart to the board for those of you who are nervous! LOL

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-jan-5-2012-chart.jpg

I drew plenty of lines to show you that RIMM is driven by technicals and is very predictable. If you look carefully, you will see that the drops are more violent than the pops in the stock. We simply dropped back to the lower part of the channel, or the uptrend line. From there, we bounced off the support line and rallied for a couple of days. At this point we can go back down and retest the uptrend line, or, in this case, RIM is so strong that it has corrected sideways which is really bullish. This week, we dropped back to support at $ 11.50/shr and because it is so close to the uptrend line (which is raising everyday), we popped from there. The challenge is to get above the recent highs of $ 12.20 ish, if we can do that, we have a gap to fill that takes us quickly to $ 14.00/shr. And so the best time to buy any stock is when it approaches its uptrend line, anything above that is pure speculation!

I bought a big block to add to my position at $ 11.46/shr yesterday. We are going above the recent highs in short order starting next week. I see the stock at $ 16.00/shr for the launch. As for how much I have in RIM, it looks like I might have the most here. I buy between 30,000 and 50,000 shares of a company that I like and this one is a winner. Good luck.
    01-05-13 12:11 PM
    100,000 is six figures, not 1,000,000. I don't have that much in it but I still have a few thousand shares. If it takes off, I will have a lot of money. If it doesn't, I might lose $10,000.
    Seems like a good bet, especially now that there is no doubt the new product will launch.
    When I started buying it, there was still speculation that it would never come to be.
    Six figures against six zeros ... thanks, mo-hoo says the cow ! lol
    01-05-13 08:28 PM
    once it past $12:30sh..it's not stopping until it hits $15. My target $15 around lanuch.. I heard if all longs puts the sell order at very high price then your broker will not be able to lend them to shorts..let's all do that..atleast until launch..
    01-06-13 02:31 AM
    once it past $12:30sh..it's not stopping until it hits $15. My target $15 around lanuch.. I heard if all longs puts the sell order at very high price then your broker will not be able to lend them to shorts..let's all do that..atleast until launch..
    +1.
    $13-15 at launch was my target 6 months ago, and I stick to it.
    01-06-13 05:33 AM
    Just out of curiosity... How does one look at a chart and speculate the highs and lows of a stock value? Maybe i shouldn't be buying stocks if i dont know much about them :P
    01-06-13 07:55 AM
    Don't confuse investing with trading.

If you buy stocks for long term and you do your due diligence on the company you're buying believing that they'll become more profitable in the future, then you're investing. In which case, trending charts are not really a concern. I have long term investments in RIM that I plan to keep in at least until early 2014, baring some really bad news, in which case will sell right away if don't expect the stock to recover.

If you are however trying to make money on both upswings and downswings on a stock, and you continually move the stock in and out of the company (by either common shares or options) you're a trader and in this case the charts do help immensely. But you also must understand that no stock is 100% predictable. Just because a stock if following known patterns, it can change course at any time, be it because of news, rumors or official announcements. A lot more people lose money in stocks than make money unfortunately.

I also hold a blocks of stock that I buy/sell repeatedly depending on the price swing. Sometimes I'll reinvest the profit into RIM long term, sometimes I'll put it towards another stock. And sometimes I miss the window by waiting too long (being greedy) and will lose some. That's just the nature of things.

Just out of curiosity... How does one look at a chart and speculate the highs and lows of a stock value? Maybe i shouldn't be buying stocks if i dont know much about them :P
    Nindia, Superfly_FR and Frank2029 like this.
    01-06-13 11:35 AM
    Hi all. Just noticed that we went over 50% of potential buyers in the poll. Nice eh?

The more buyers you have the worse it will be when its selling time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 12:04 PM
    The more buyers you have the worse it will be when its selling time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    What you should be saying is that 120,000,000 shorts still need to cover and the more shorts there are the more EXPLOSIVE move to the upside will be when they cover.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-06-13 12:20 PM
    The thing is shorts still shoring so what the heck they know or what power they have that they are so confident that it will go down. When RIM was bashed by all medias for the right reason there were close to 55mil shorts, then it got worse and avg around 80 millions shorts and now we are closer to launch we are close to 120 millions..almost 30%. Can someone explain ?? Should not shorts be worried now or atlease be safe and cover now then later..
    01-07-13 01:05 AM
    [...] what the heck they know [...]
    Not much, "snow ball effect" and sheep strategy (going in the same direction than the mass), I believe.
    01-07-13 01:32 AM
    Probably the same people that were buying Apple at $700. People are still long on Apple even though it's definitely heading south.

The thing is shorts still shoring so what the heck they know or what power they have that they are so confident that it will go down. When RIM was bashed by all medias for the right reason there were close to 55mil shorts, then it got worse and avg around 80 millions shorts and now we are closer to launch we are close to 120 millions..almost 30%. Can someone explain ?? Should not shorts be worried now or atlease be safe and cover now then later..
    01-07-13 06:46 AM
    It is hard to know when they went short. In a stock like RIMM with wildly volatile swings over the last year and even large percentage swings in the last few months we have no idea how many of those shorts are near or actually underwater. We don't know how many are otherwise hedged. There also aren't all that many shares out there in absolute terms. About 60% of the shares are held in large blocks by the founders and Watsa and others who we can guess, but not know for sure, are not selling or loaning shares. Bottom line is that shorting stock is very speculative and risky but that they are usually pretty sophisticated players. Don't worry about them, they will ALWAYS take care of themselves first....
    01-07-13 08:18 AM
113,256 ... 5960616263 ...