View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Picked up some shares this morning! Thank u to the shortie at $10.34 lol

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    General market is tanking. BBRY and biotechs holding on for the moment.

Lots of articles out about massive pain in the markets. This one from the Business Insider for one.

HEDGE FUND MANAGER ODEY WARNS: We've Entered A Downturn That Will Be Remembered In 100 Years

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/crisp...#ixzz3Q2AdKMCN
    ZayDub likes this.
    01-27-15 08:58 AM
    The area, anchored by the University of Waterloo, is also noted as the "Siliicon Valley of Canada" ... over 40 percent of Canadian tech startups originate in this area or in association with the University of Waterloo as i understood ... for the same reason companies in US flock to California's ....

Blackberry is the largest tech company there but there are many others also ... including Google ...
    In addition to the University of Waterloo, the area is supplied with graduates from University of Windsor, University of Western Ontario, McMaster University, York University, and University of Toronto, all within driving distance.
    bungaboy, rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    01-27-15 09:01 AM
    Funny as ideas can match sometimes.
    We have to add some keywords in our media monitoring ...
    The cloth burns between google and CyanogenMod (the Android alternative).

BlackBerry + CyanogenMod + Amazon + Samsung ?
    Oh, boy, I dream out loud sometimes ...
    BlackBerry + CyanogenMod would be cool. I've never used it but I heard they stripped out a lot of the privacy invasive code that Google put into Android. If true. That would be awesome. Don't know how they deal with Google Play though.
    La Emperor likes this.
    01-27-15 09:01 AM

Lots of articles out about massive pain in the markets. This one from the Business Insider for one.

HEDGE FUND MANAGER ODEY WARNS: We've Entered A Downturn That Will Be Remembered In 100 Years

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/crisp...#ixzz3Q2AdKMCN
    I've noticed it seems to keep finding support at the $10.50 range like Morgan said. Just yesterday we were at $10.71 for a high I believe. All things are temporary with this stock so I tend to play the range and swing trade it. Recall just a few wks back we were low 9s. I feel like as long as you have patience w/ this stock (if you're long), you really can't lose.

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    01-27-15 09:03 AM
    Hourlong global outage at Facebook, Instagram blamed on internal glitch

Hourlong global outage at Facebook, Instagram blamed on internal glitch | The Chronicle Herald
    01-27-15 09:04 AM
    Wow, I really like the rounded corners of the ATT's ...
    imagine a Gold Version for the AT&T model !!
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-27-15 09:07 AM
    "The most attractive feature of Linux OS is its open-source nature, which means that automakers can customize features according to their needs

Wouldn't open source be something you stay away from in car applications? or applications that require secure connections???

Isn't the car QNX system fully customizable for Automakers? That is one of the features they like as it distinguishes them from other makers ???
    But if they use open source code and enhance it, then that also means they have to share their code with competitors. There are advantages and disadvantages. Competitors can review the code and fix bugs, but then again, you're doing work for a competitor to use themselves. Given how proprietary companies are, I don't think you'll see this soon.

My uneducated guess is that QNX gives the auto makers an industry-wide unified base platform that each auto maker can then use to create their own IP. That's a win win.

But then again, I haven't checked for articles declaring 2015 as the year of the Linux desktop.
    laketrout73, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    01-27-15 09:08 AM
    "The most attractive feature of Linux OS is its open-source nature, which means that automakers can customize features according to their needs

Wouldn't open source be something you stay away from in car applications? or applications that require secure connections???

Isn't the car QNX system fully customizable for Automakers? That is one of the features they like as it distinguishes them from other makers ???

Chen might be trying to squeeze a little more out of QNX than some Manufacturers might be wanting to pay, this could be forcing some to look for lower cost solutions... or just other solutions that cutout the cost and maybe more importantly the lack of control that using a 3rd Party product brings to the table.

An embedded software is cheap for a reason... without some kinda "lock" on the market or major brand recognition, most anyone can be replaced.

And open doesn't mean you can't make it secure......
    01-27-15 09:09 AM
    OT alert
    about the J.C "app neutrality"
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...l#post11297958
    01-27-15 09:14 AM

Read more: Crispin Odey says equities will get devastated - Business Insider
    FIFY!

HEDGE FUD FUND MANAGER ODEY WARNS: We've Entered A Downturn That Will Be Remembered In 100 Years
    01-27-15 09:17 AM
    Chen might be trying to squeeze a little more out of QNX than some Manufacturers might be wanting to pay, this could be forcing some to look for lower cost solutions... or just other solutions that cutout the cost and maybe more importantly the lack of control that using a 3rd Party product brings to the table.

An embedded software is cheap for a reason... without some kinda "lock" on the market or major brand recognition, most anyone can be replaced.

Yeah that's why car manufacture s keep signing on. That's why ford just signed on. That's why it's being installed in over 50% of the cars being produced today.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:20 AM
    imagine a Gold Version for the AT&T model !!
    or an All Touch AT&T Gold Passport !!
    01-27-15 09:22 AM
    "Linux is set to become the leader in the automative infotainment operating system market." I havn't seen a more uneducated statement in awhile
    Linux had 3% of the market, and were a distant 3rd. Since ford gave MSFT the boot and is giving their 27% market share to QNX that will put Linux in the number two spot. So the spin doctors can say Linux is set to become the leader. All Linux needs to do is overcome QNX's 97% share (and you may have heard somewhere that BBRY is dead) so how hard could it be. LOL
    01-27-15 09:34 AM
    Samsung to be main chip supplier for next iPhone: Report

SEOUL: South Korea's Samsung Electronics will be the main supplier of processors powering Apple's next iPhone, Maeil Business Newspaper has reported, citing unidentified sources in the semiconductor industry.
    Samsung will be responsible for around 75% of the chip production for the next iPhone, the South Korean newspaper said.
    The newspaper did not say how much the contract is worth and what other company will be supplying Apple. Samsung will make the chips from its factory in Austin, Texas, according to the report.
    A Samsung spokeswoman said the company does not comment on market speculation. Apple could not be immediately reached for comment.

Source- Samsung to be main chip supplier for next iPhone: Report - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site
    So, Samsung will likely get screwed (like every other company that makes parts for apple).

On the up side, if handset sales growth stalls, BlackBerry might be able to gain some market share.
    Andy_bb_king, 3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    01-27-15 09:43 AM

With all due respect, but your argument on Chen "trying to squeeze a little more" is shallow at best. The cost of the infotainment/adas system is probably irrelevant , probably < 1% considering cars are in the 20k range typically. In a smartphone that costs $200 to $300 to make, your argument is welcome, but not in cars.

Ford and GM are pretty much doing the same thing, using QNX embedded with options to bring in the smartphone interface as skin, IOS or Andriod. Of course there is also a native QNX skin. QNX allows cars manufacturer a lot of flexibility along with security and stability. Would other embedded flavors do?

Yes Linux embedded for cars is coming, but right now they are playing catch up. Besides who is to say in a few years when BBRY is on more stable footing, they can just practically give QNX license dirt cheap to car manufacturers in exchange for system access to all the subsystems/sensors in cars.
    bungaboy, rarsen and spike12 like this.
    01-27-15 09:48 AM
    Yeah that's why car manufacture s keep signing on. That's why ford just signed on. That's why it's being installed in over 50% of the cars being produced today.

Posted via CB10
    Just because you own a market one day, doesn't mean it's yours forever..... BlackBerry should know that.

The article mentions GM... As I understand it, GM hasn't had a favorite OS YET. The do use QNX is several cars, but they also are using Linux in a number of lines and even have Microsoft in a couple of subcompacts. But they just signed a $900 million contract with Harman to provide Android Based Systems for vehicles in late 2016.... this will be a true OS, not just Android Auto that rides on top of another OS like QNX.

Maintaining dominance is not always an easy thing to do.... Chen has to be very careful to let QNX do what they do best without interference.
    sati01 likes this.
    01-27-15 09:49 AM
    so a secure open source is the way to go? is it more advantageous and more desirable for customers?
    01-27-15 09:49 AM
    [from the article,

Ofcom is not alone in picking up on changing privacy concerns relating to the IoT. Earlier this month, in the U.S., the consumer-focused FTC set out detailed concerns about consumer privacy challenges posed by the collective impact of connected devices, and suggested some specific best practice measures that IoT companies should adopt — [B]such as security by design; practicing data minimization[/B]; and increasing consumer transparency about data usage and re-usage. Update: The FTC has also today released a detailed report expanding on these privacy best practices for businesses in the IoT space.

That is, in a nut shell, how BBOS was created. I assume that BB10 is based on the same principles. So its nice to know that the regulating bodies around the world want the IOT to be BlackBerry-ish.

Of course the problem we'll have to deal with (and I see it coming in the Auto industry first) is accusations of monopoly. LOL

Let's start a pool. I'm going with march 3rd, 2018 as the first published article mentioning a BBRY monopoly!
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-27-15 09:54 AM
    BlackBerry holding up pretty well considering the market low volume sorry shorts nobody's biting.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 10:10 AM
    People don't feed the BlackBerry can't do anything right crowd who spread nothing but FUD. To spends HOURS a day everyday is telling on their objective. IMO paid or mentally ill they know which side they are on... in same cases they do not.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    01-27-15 11:13 AM
    People don't feed the BlackBerry can't do anything right crowd who spread nothing but FUD. To spends HOURS a day everyday is telling on their objective. IMO paid or mentally ill they know which side they are on... in same cases they do not.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree more.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-27-15 11:16 AM
    Boring day. When will the next update come out that Samsung and Blackberry are close to a strong partnership and minority stake?
    01-27-15 11:31 AM
    Sorry if already posted (been out for a few days) Happy day to all of you!
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...170105406.html
    01-27-15 11:54 AM
    The article mentions GM... As I understand it, GM hasn't had a favorite OS YET. The do use QNX is several cars, but they also are using Linux in a number of lines and even have Microsoft in a couple of subcompacts. But they just signed a $900 million contract with Harman to provide Android Based Systems for vehicles in late 2016.... this will be a true OS, not just Android Auto that rides on top of another OS like QNX.
    Harmon owned QNX before they sold it to BlackBerry. I think it was in the summer of 2013, before the September fire sale, the president of Harmon was asked about QNX and whether Harmon would reacquire QNX if BlackBerry was sold or went bankrupt. He said that for the time being, QNX would be their reference platform, but that they would investigate other platforms as well. IIRC, he also said, Harmon has access to the QNX source code for 20 years post sale. Seeing as how Harmon probably got QNX into the automotive arena (or at least helped boost QNX's prestige in that arena), if Harmon moves away from QNX, it will not be "a good thing."

Given the very nature of Linux, I would *LOVE* to see the day when self-absorbed Linux fans start hacking into automotive Linux and start altering the integrity of the system, just because they feel they are entitled to do so because it's "open source."
    3MIKE, bungaboy and laketrout73 like this.
    01-27-15 11:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    I also noticed that a there is some people are here to manage the site as well. They will make countless off topic posts in order to berry positive posts and bring the negative to the forefront.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 12:00 PM
113,256 ... 31643165316631673168 ...