Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    LOL, but tells you the quality of journalism on a global scale

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    This is a shame in that country's education circle to make a mistake like this. Thats why the guy paid the price. He could have fabricated a totally false story and easily gotten away with if newspaper was getting paid on the side lines. But mistake like this, no way.

This is weekend. Relax

BlackBerry Z30. The best smart phone.
    09-21-14 10:00 AM
    Looks like they have a flip back cover on this...that's great as I have those on my others too:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-byb92djiyaaj5pa_edit.jpg

Eazzy Peazzy
    Corbu, bungaboy, ibpluto and 5 others like this.
    09-21-14 10:24 AM
    09-21-14 10:30 AM
    Looks like they have a flip back cover on this...that's great as I have those on my others too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ByB92dJIYAAJ5Pa_edit.jpg 
Views:	1582 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	299331

Eazzy Peazzy
    Oh, actually, those rubber bumpers are so little kids don't poke their eyes out when cruzing around dad's (or mom's) passport.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and Shanerredflag like this.
    09-21-14 11:14 AM
    I dunno about you, but I am more and more intrigued by the white one ;-)

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1411315235988_642339.jpeg
    09-21-14 11:18 AM
    Oh, actually, those rubber bumpers are so little kids don't poke their eyes out when cruzing around dad's (or mom's) passport.
    Or you don't dent your head as was suggested in here recently.
    09-21-14 11:33 AM
    Come on, this is not an F1 thread and some of us haven't seen the race yet, NOT COOL!

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    Hi, in my very humble opinion the reference to F1 remains valid as the name BlackBerry is on one of the cars which happens to win regularly. Nothing wrong with winning? As this being after-hours of regular daytime investing, appreciation of superior technology of various BB interests is part of tradition on this site. And as for my personal reference to high end cars or other elements of high technology, follows a bit of the same tradition where BB investors are regularly appreciative of better technology and the user experience and take time to smell the roses. Life is short, enjoy it and the various amazing technologies.
    bungaboy, ibpluto, Corbu and 10 others like this.
    09-21-14 11:36 AM
    09-21-14 11:50 AM
    Here's to a great week for all of us!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-c00019cae_352c78f0-419f-11e4-98ac-0200ac11f450.jpeg
    09-21-14 11:53 AM

Name:	_77727883_77727882.jpg 
Views:	1562 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	299346

Name:	_77727450_023996752-1.jpg 
Views:	1520 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	299347

OT:

Lewis Hamilton storms to victory in Singapore; takes F1 drivers' lead

Lewis Hamilton storms to victory in Singapore; takes F1 drivers' lead - The Globe and Mail
    09-21-14 11:56 AM
    Hi, in my very humble opinion the reference to F1 remains valid as the name BlackBerry is on one of the cars which happens to win regularly. Nothing wrong with winning? As this being after-hours of regular daytime investing, appreciation of superior technology of various BB interests is part of tradition on this site. And as for my personal reference to high end cars or other elements of high technology, follows a bit of the same tradition where BB investors are regularly appreciative of better technology and the user experience and take time to smell the roses. Life is short, enjoy it and the various amazing technologies.
    I find that if the words "spoiler alert"
    And mention of the show, movie, sporting event etc are mentioned at the start, as a courtesy, you have the chance to avert your eyes from the remainder of the post.

F1 spoiler alert!
    Walking dead spoiler alert
    Etc.

Otherwise it's just ridiculous listening to everyone justify Yay or nay if information posted about a real time event was in bad taste or otherwise .

I could also see myself not thinking about If I was about to spoil the race for someone else because I was excited that the BlackBerry sponsored team is doing well.

Can't win 'em all and please everyone.
    09-21-14 12:25 PM
    OT...enjoyable read of some new tech used in the Bowie exhibit at The Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art:
    https://gigaom.com/2014/09/20/a-prev...f3faf-99683765

Eazzy Peazzy
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 09-21-14 at 02:03 PM.
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    09-21-14 12:45 PM
    For all those Trolls and Haters that I may have offended.

09-21-14 01:06 PM
    For all those Trolls and Haters that I may have offended.

Lol...don't forget this one:

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-21-14 03:37 PM
    OT found this, kinda neat:

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-21-14 03:45 PM
    OT found this, kinda neat:

Eazzy Peazzy
    So. Who is plookin the monkeys?
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-21-14 04:59 PM
    Big Financial news this week? BlackBerry!!!

Lookahead: Financial markets to be relatively calm this week due to lack of data #CTVNews
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/looka...data-1.2017278

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    09-21-14 05:00 PM
    Can someone post this in full or just the highlights.
    the title seams upbeat.

BlackBerry's Makeover Is Taking Shape - WSJ
    CDM76, bungaboy, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    09-21-14 05:40 PM
    Getting pretty excited about this upcoming week!

Positive or negative, it will be a wild ride
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY and rarsen like this.
    09-21-14 06:08 PM
    There you go, Stormie Two!

BlackBerry's Makeover Is Taking Shape

CEO John Chen's Plan to Abandon Consumer Market, Focus on Mobile Security Is Showing Results

BlackBerry Ltd. Chief Executive John Chen last month made a surprising promise: in an internal memo, he told employees that years of layoffs and shrinking had come to an end, and that the company would be scouting for acquisitions.

It was the latest signal from Mr. Chen, who took the reins at the smartphone maker less than a year ago amid mounting losses and declining sales, that his plan to stop competing in the consumer market is showing results. After years of losing market share to Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. , BlackBerry's makeover as a provider of secure smartphone technology for the enterprise market is taking shape.

The maker of what was once the world's dominant smartphone isn't abandoning the hardware business completely—it plans to introduce a handset with a physical keyboard and square screen called the Passport on Sept. 24. But the company has outsourced the production of devices, and is largely focusing away from the consumer market with new phones that target business users.

Mr. Chen's strategy rests on a plan to generate more profits from the higher-margin mobile security business, along with other new software services. If he succeeds in this overhaul, it will be in part by taking a page from his 13 years at Sybase Inc., a once unprofitable California company that was sold in 2010 to Germany's SAP SE for $5.8 billion.

BlackBerry's shares have jumped 68% to $10.89 since Mr. Chen took over in November, but are still 87% below where they stood five years ago. The company's losses, though expected by analysts to narrow, remain substantial.

"That to me says, the ship's turning, but it's going to take a long while," said Robert McWhirter, head of Toronto-based Selective Asset Management Inc. Mr. McWhirter last owned BlackBerry stock about three years ago.

At Sybase, Mr. Chen pursued small but strategic acquisitions and out-delivered on earnings, say those who have worked with him. Small deals led up to a riskier bet in 2006 on text messaging with the purchase of Mobile 365, a move that helped cement his reputation as a turnaround expert.

He says he made the deal only when Sybase was profitable and had the cash. "I remember sitting down with my CFO and saying 'even if I make this bet and it's the wrong bet it will not kill the company,'" Mr. Chen recalled in a recent interview.

Mr. Chen has moved to bolster BlackBerry's offerings for the enterprise market with two small acquisitions since late July. One company offers a product that guards against eavesdropping on mobile devices, and the other helps corporations better control employee device costs.

"The acquisitions are very consistent with [what Mr. Chen did at] Sybase," and "they will always fit very tightly with the strategy," said BlackBerry Chief Operating Officer Marty Beard, one of a core group of former Sybase executives who have followed Mr. Chen to BlackBerry.

"If there is any bet to be made it will be only when BlackBerry is doing well," said Mr. Chen, who regularly works 18-hour days. Much like he did at Sybase, he spent his first months at BlackBerry visiting hundreds of customers to help him identify products with the most potential.

His initial focus at BlackBerry has been stemming the hemorrhaging in the company's cash flow. In June, Mr. Chen reiterated his target of achieving break-even cash flow in 2015. He also surprised analysts with a quarterly profit that sent BlackBerry's shares soaring. Three months earlier, he surprised the market with news that BlackBerry had achieved its cost-cutting target a quarter ahead of schedule. BlackBerry next reports earnings Sept. 26.

His moves to boost revenue from new software-based services remain largely unproven. That is a reason why Mr. Chen is also pursuing a portfolio of handsets targeting business customers and the emerging markets where the company still has consumer cachet.

The Passport is one of these new devices. The introduction of the square-screened smartphone will be the first global launch of a device for BlackBerry since its BlackBerry 10 phones flopped in 2013. BlackBerry won't talk about the device's features until the launch. But its official blog says the Passport, which will display 50% more characters on each line than the typical device, will appeal to professionals by making documents, spreadsheets and X-rays easier to read.

The Passport is bound to be measured against Apple's recently announced larger-screen iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, as well as a new mobile payment system. Apple's move to partner with International Business Machines Corp. to develop mobile applications for big businesses adds to the pressure.

Apple is already a "tough competitor" for BlackBerry on the device side and "now they are getting into the security domain, which BlackBerry is hoping to reinvent themselves on," said Canaccord Genuity analyst Mike Walkley.

BlackBerry declined to comment on the new Apple devices, which have screens that measure 4.7 inches or 5.5 inches.

The Passport has a 4.5-inch square screen and BlackBerry's signature physical keyboard. The keyboard comes with a twist—it is touch sensitive and can be used to scroll through content on the screen above it.

BlackBerry is also relying on the launch later this year of new mobile device-management software. But some customers have already decided against waiting for the product and adopted rival technology.

BlackBerry's current management software supports its BlackBerry 10 and other devices, but not older BlackBerry models. That deterred some customers from adopting the technology. The latest update to the BlackBerry Enterprise Service will work for all BlackBerrys as well as for rival devices.

That product comes too late for the State of Indiana. About a year ago, the state started to use software made by BlackBerry rival MobileIron Inc. to manage the growing use by its employees of iPhones, and it isn't planning to look at BlackBerry's update for its 6,000 mobile devices when it comes out, said Dewand Neely, an IT executive with the Indiana Office of Technology. "I don't even remember the last time I talked to a BlackBerry representative," Mr. Neely said.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mk-cp476_blackb_g_20140921171215.jpg
    09-21-14 06:10 PM
    09-21-14 06:14 PM
    From the NYT's "BUSINESS DAY | THE WEEK AHEAD"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/bu...erry.html?_r=0

BLACKBERRY TO INTRODUCE ITS LATEST SMARTPHONE

BlackBerry is returning to its roots in what may be the company’s last chance to re-establish itself in the smartphone market. On Wednesday it will introduce a phone known as the Passport, which BlackBerry hopes will appeal to users in the sectors that first embraced the brand: financial services, health care, law enforcement and government. The new phone will feature an unusual square display and a physical keyboard that doubles as a trackpad.

On Friday, investors will see how far the company has to go when it releases its second-quarter results. John S. Chen, the company’s chief executive, announced during the period that a protracted series of layoffs and cutbacks at the company had come to an end.
    09-21-14 06:30 PM
    Big Week Ahead! Excited to see what tomorrow brings

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    09-21-14 06:58 PM
    Big Week Ahead! Excited to see what tomorrow brings

Posted via CB10
    Monday night football

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 07:11 PM
    Wow iPhone 6 sales must be pretty weak compared to iPhone 5s sales l. Almost every carrier is offering up a serious deal on the new iPhone 6 either trade your old iPhone in and get a iPhone 6 or exclusive plans for iPhone 6 only

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 07:40 PM
113,250 ... 28512852285328542855 ...