View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Solar Impulse 2 solar-powered plane set to fly round the world with QNX on board:

Flying around the world on solar power

On Q: Flying around the world on solar power
    Corbu, sidhuk, La Emperor and 3 others like this.
    04-24-14 10:17 AM
    oh no, what is this delusional developer blah blah blah. app gap &*%$etc. etc. did i say app gap? wonder what the next excuse would be?
    Snap2Chat gets BlackBerry World approval, available to download now | CrackBerry.com
    sure igrann, snap2chat will close app gap...

BB should promote it immediately...

"hey we dont have instragram and snapchat, google play, etc but hey we have igrann, snap2chat and plenty other non official apps..."

it will surely attract other platform users..

/Sarcasm
    04-24-14 10:58 AM
    sure igrann, snap2chat will close app gap...

BB should promote it immediately...

"hey we dont have instragram and snapchat, google play, etc but hey we have igrann, snap2chat and plenty other non official apps..."

it will surely attract other platform users..

/Sarcasm
    LoL, just like our old friend Mrs. gsstatcounter, i could see you showing up on this. even though i deleted the post. hahaha priceless
    morganplus8, bungaboy and zyben like this.
    04-24-14 11:01 AM
    LoL, just like our old friend Mrs. gsstatcounter, i could see you showing up on this. even though i deleted the post. hahaha priceless
    you not delete it fast enough
    04-24-14 11:03 AM
    you not delete it fast enough
    I know. LoL
    morganplus8 and Shanerredflag like this.
    04-24-14 11:07 AM
    This is what I was thinking. These reports need to better differentiate Total Brand market share vs Sales Brand Market Share

If you read the Neilsen report, they were not reporting share of sales for the quarter.

They said that as of this quarter, 2% of all phone users were using BlackBerry's. This is 2% of all currently active users, regardless of when they may have bought those devices. That is different from saying that 0% of phones SOLD in a given quarter were BlackBerry's.

Both statements are likely true at the same time.

To make this clear: if you are in the US and are using a BlackBerry that you bought a year ago, you count in the 2%. If you use a BB that you bought 3 years ago, you count in the 2%. The approximately 0% includes those few people who actually bought a new BB this past quarter in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    04-24-14 11:30 AM
    When BBRY partners with Amazon and their app store for Android Apps and Amazon Media BBRY should start getting some more buzz.

As more people learn about how good the OS is and the Z30 device itself, people may be swayed to try BBRY again.

Add in that BBRY is not going to die (once they hit breakeven, then profitable) and more people will be back to BBRY knowing their device won't stop working if BBRY goes bankrupt (even though it wouldn't, I'm talking general 'myths').

Add in the Q20 enterprise device and BES12.

10M phones for hardware profitability in fiscal 2016 due to Foxconn partnership. They could easily double that.

It will be a slow road, but there is great upside to the story.
    On phones? Forget it, look at the current moves from China and the expansion into the emerging markets from the players there, BBRY will struggle to avoid hitting zero in those markets leery alone expand - niche or no niche.
    04-24-14 11:36 AM
    CrackBerry Kevin's New Year's Eve Memo. For some who missed it.

Here's the deal. While things are mainly good here on the busiest and best BlackBerry forum on the net, a lot of members, including myself, are starting to get really annoyed with some of the posts being made by a small minority of individuals. These are the members who consistently have nothing but bad things to say. They don't necessarily "break the forum rules", but they know them well and play them like a fiddle so they can persist in the forums. These people bring it down for everybody else.

However, if a single member is going to bring this community down by their consistent negative contributions and never add anything of merit or substance to the forums, I'd rather them not be a member at all (even if they didn't "break" the rules). I'd rather have a smaller forum community vs. a bigger community that is infested with trolls.
    Corbu, sidhuk, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    04-24-14 11:46 AM
    CrackBerry Kevin's New Year's Eve Memo. For some who missed it.
    LoL.
    no, i disagree with Kevin. i like pet peeve projects. specially on days when i am bored. please Kevin, keep some of these around. if we can teach our self how to play with these creatures?

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Troll_Session_Play
    bungaboy and OMGitworks like this.
    04-24-14 11:52 AM
    LoL.
    no, i disagree with Kevin. i like pet peeve projects. specially on days when i am bored. please Kevin, keep some of these around. if we can teach our self how to play with these creatures?
    I too pull the wings off flies and burn ants with my magnifying glass. LoL
    sidhuk likes this.
    04-24-14 11:56 AM
    Does he used that name anymore ? - I notice on twitter he shifted to a new account and his old crackberry Kevin just directs you to the new one - I guess mobile nations Kevin isn't so catchy.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    04-24-14 12:23 PM
    South Park sticker pack now in the BBM shop

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk and Shanerredflag like this.
    04-24-14 12:37 PM
    Does he used that name anymore ? - I notice on twitter he shifted to a new account and his old crackberry Kevin just directs you to the new one - I guess mobile nations Kevin isn't so catchy.

sent from my bright red Nexus 5
    Career planning just in case Mr. Chen can't pull it off. You remember Palm Peter, and Blockbuster Bob, right...

The App gap doesn't matter anymore, really. Either they are going to succeed with BES, xBBM and QNX or they will fail. Channels, Apps, BBM money, Consumer handsets are a side show.
    StormieTwo likes this.
    04-24-14 12:39 PM
    04-24-14 12:48 PM
    No negativity man!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20140424_141208.png

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, zyben and 2 others like this.
    04-24-14 03:13 PM
    Not a bad endorsement!!!!

Wireless industry braced for 900% growth — ex-premier

BILL POWER BUSINESS REPORTER
    Published April 24, 2014 - 6:29pm

Wireless industry braced for 900% growth — ex-premier | The Chronicle Herald

Former New Brunswick premier Bernard Lord addressed a Chamber of Commerce luncheon in Halifax on Thursday. He spoke about the growth of technology. (File)

Bernard Lord loves gadgets.

The former New Brunswick premier received his first computer, a Commodore 64, as a youngster and remains hooked on technical toys to this day, he said Thursday in an interview.

In his sports-jacket pocket was a well-worn BlackBerry Z10, and Lord, president and CEO of the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, appeared to know how to handle it.

“BlackBerry makes an excellent product,” he said.

It was a nod to Nova Scotia’s link with BlackBerry, which announced last fall it was shutting down its Bedford customer service centre.

Through the association, Lord represents one of the fastest-growing and fastest-changing sectors of the Canadian economy.

Today’s gadget-obsessed economy is driven by a seemingly insatiable consumer hunger for the latest and fastest things available in wireless.

The industry is anticipating data growth of 900 per cent over the next five years,” Lord told Halifax Chamber of Commerce members at a luncheon Thursday.

“If we were talking about the automobile, it would be like going from four-lane to 36-lane highways in five years.”

Lord, who said he still lives in New Brunswick but spends a lot of time on planes and in hotels, peppered his presentation with all sorts of remarkable statistics about the uptake of wireless technology across Canada.

“Smartphone penetration in the Canadian marketplace went from 36 per cent in 2011 to 63 per cent in 2013.

“About 25 per cent of Canadian homes have no land lines, and about 50 per cent of all (emergency) 911 calls are wireless.”

The advent of wireless tablet computers is only adding to the appeal of mobile communications, as consumers turn increasingly to wireless technology at home.

“Fifty per cent of data is consumed at home,” Lord said.

Nova Scotians have recycled about 130,000 older-model wireless phones over the past few years as they upgraded to smartphones, he said.

“People want smartphones. They want the fastest and most sophisticated technology available.”

From an economic perspective, Lord said the wireless industry in Canada provides employment for about 300,000 people.

The latest federal government auction of wireless spectrum generated $5.3 billion for Canadian taxpayers, he said.

In a question-and-answer session, he defended rates that wireless service providers charge across the country.

“We’re not the cheapest, and we’re not the most expensive, but we offer excellent value.”

Lord said that while recently in Corner Brook, N.L., he could access 4G service, something he had trouble doing recently in the United Kingdom, including London.

“About 70 or 80 per cent of the Canadian population is covered with 4G LTE technology, which is the fastest and most reliable available.”

In an interview, he said there will always be people seeking to pay a little less, but in the end, the Canadian numbers indicate consumers in this country are prepared to pay for the fastest and most reliable wireless service available.
    04-24-14 05:52 PM
    Here is a Forbes piece...(last time we discussed this I think it was agreed BlackBerry has a HUGE patent portfolio compared to Apple)

So...if it's works for them, how bout us?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...ogles-android/

bungaboy, rarsen, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    04-24-14 06:19 PM
    Hi Morgan,

I was wondering if you could please comment on JC's plan to get BlackBerry to cash flow break-even. What are your take-aways? Is it a viable plan? ARPU of 10 dollars seems high to me, although it's a fraction of what was outlined in the strategy

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...-qnx-strategy/

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk and morganplus8 like this.
    04-25-14 02:28 AM
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/2164...r-buys-ongoing

Just the facts and accurate as far as I can tell.

bizzarothor, jxnb, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    04-25-14 05:34 AM
    04-25-14 06:57 AM
    London experts are late. Come on. Any minute now.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    04-25-14 07:14 AM
    BlackBerry: Governments Love Us Because Our Platform is the Most Secure, Plain and Simple

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/blackb...ure-2014-04-24
    04-25-14 07:37 AM
    http://m.techradar.com/news/internet...c=rss&attr=all

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    04-25-14 07:46 AM
    Hi Morgan,

I was wondering if you could please comment on JC's plan to get BlackBerry to cash flow break-even. What are your take-aways? Is it a viable plan? ARPU of 10 dollars seems high to me, although it's a fraction of what was outlined in the strategy

BlackBerry: Goldman Notes Efforts to Cash-Flow Breakeven, Enterprise, QNX Strategy - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

Posted via CB10
    Hi _dimi_!!

Well, my first question about BBRY in a longgggg time!

Here is the excerpt from that article:

"BlackBerry recognizes that the MDM (Mobile Device Management) market is already quite crowded. As a result, it sees several sources of differentiation, including security and identity management, its NOCs for end to end encryption, application provisioning, and incremental services such as communications with BBM and secure voice. With BES12 coming in November, BlackBerry has already launched its EZ Pass program, whereby an enterprise can receive a free upgrade to BES12 from BES 10 or a competitive offering. Mr. Chen noted that BlackBerry has already won some competitor’s customers since making the program available on April 1. Under BES12, monthly ARPU per sub ranges from $1.50- $5.00 for Silver and Gold packages, respectively, down from a range of $2.00-$6.00 (mentioned below) for the legacy BIS/BES service fees. However, the company expects to sell additional features and software enhancements to increase ARPU over time, targeting $10 in monthly ARPU over time. Also recall that its MDM solution on BES12 supports non- BlackBerry devices (e.g. Android, iOS and Windows). Management is retooling the sales force to enable direct sales to enterprises, augmenting its traditional go-to-market through carriers."

You are right, this is a failing company in the eyes of the world and many think they should give-away services to maintain what subs they have left. So to think that ARPU can grow 200% over the next 12-months is a stretch. The article talks about non-sales assets holding them over until they regain their footing. I see this as being very real, buying them far more than a "couple of years" to attract new business. It is this point that comes into question, ... can they attract new business? I think they can, they have the infrastructure to maintain $ 1.50 to $ 5.00 ARPU now, the fact that they are capturing "new business" from their competitors shows us that enterprise is listening, so that's good news. At some point, they will see flattened revenues via enterprise and some growth in one area and then the investment community will wake-up to BBRY as a going concern.

One of the most important areas where they can bring value-added ARPU is in BBM-X for Enterprise. This is where I'm seeing some real growth with business people that I know. Many of these business staff don't even know that BBM and Channels are a BlackBerry product! My lawyer buddy will be here tomorrow, his company is all BB now, they are adding to their BlackBerry experience by going completely to BB products and services. That's a huge win because it was done at the grass roots of business, i.e., they didn't get any special treatment from BB, they figured it out on their own. The same can be said with one of Canada's largest real estate developers, they shifted to BB for security and BBM-X, no phones (well a handful of them which is none to me) and they did this on BB merits alone. And so for me, I can see how BB can monetize these guys as it is their IT teams who are making unbiased decisions. BBM-x with BB security for Enterprise will be huge, across platforms. Chen must know this and this is where I think a chunk of that ARPU will come from.

BlackBerry can out sell anyone on security as a hook, they have cheap phones to add hardware to the mix, they need to develop an Enterprise exclusive experience (hardware/BBM-Enterprise/QNX = differentiation) that retail drools for but is only available to Enterprise customers. That's what makes differentiation so powerful, a product that everyone wants and not everyone has access to. Mr. Chen is a smart guy, he sees the hook as a cross platform, all encompassing security base that includes some add-on structure for BES12, add in all phone makes and you have a business model that can grow. I get how he can predict a profit in 2016, I can see cash flow neutral claims by the end of fiscal 2015 too. ARPU doubling? He can do this if he can stop the bleeding and offer a tiered package of must have products to enterprise and I think he will accomplish this with BBM-Enterprise along with an incredibly easy format for obtaining handset subs.. Chen needs to buy time until his software/security package for enterprise is ready in the Fall. I know that my real estate friends are all about cross-platform BBM in all of its forms, they "get" that the BlackBerry phone provides even more features than their iPhones are allowed. They have BB's there but the message remains unknown as to how BB works as a family of products. No one has explained how they can do better with BlackBerry.

Chen won't squander his primary asset which is ARPU at $ 1.50 - $ 5.00/month, he seems to think that price level is the bottom for his competition, this buys him time to develop value-added features and I'm sure he is working on some stuff Enterprise wants. I have to give it up to him to know where they will land by the end of Feb/2015. To say that BB will hit an ARPU growth of 200% in 12 months is to beg the question "at how many subs can they accomplish that goal"? If you cut subs to an elite minority in order to achieve growth, what have you gained? We really want to hear about gaining all the handsets in the world at a sustainable margin on our investment.

Finally, this investment was never about a quick recovery to the mid-teens followed by some news regarding sustainable growth! If we invested thinking we could see $ 15.00/shr on limited news, we're not investing, we're gambling. I really like the future for BBRY but I see it as a package of many small improvements over the next 9 months. For example, the return to the Classic Bold might secure 10 to 15 MM handset sales for many years to come. At some point, the media and investors will see that BB has turned the corner and is here to stay. I think we are starting to see that from the company itself and the more current articles seem to be positive too. GL
    jmehta22, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 13 others like this.
    04-25-14 08:02 AM
    For future reference, the Barron's article referred to by dimi and Morgan, above, since there is a lot of interesting stuff in here.

BlackBerry: Goldman Notes Efforts to Cash-Flow Breakeven, Enterprise, QNX Strategy - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

Goldman Sachs’s Simona Jankowski today issued a note to clients regarding her meeting with BlackBerry (BBRY) CEO John Chen yesterday, a meeting that focused on cash flow, smartphones, services, and the long-term opportunities in software technologies, the “QNX,” operating system, and the BBM messaging/chat service.

Jankowski, who has a Neutral rating on BlackBerry shares, and an $8.80 price target, notes Chen reiterated an expectation the company will reach cash-flow break-even this fiscal year ending in February of 2015, by bringing down operating costs and improving gross margin in the handset business:

Operationally, he believes the company can break even with $500mn in quarterly opex (vs. $577mn in the February-quarter), at least 40% gross margins (vs. 36% in FY14), and about 10mn annual smartphone unit sales (vs. 1.3mn in the February quarter) […] BlackBerry had $2.7bn in cash exiting 4QFY14 (Feb), after experiencing a cash outflow of $700mn during the quarter. Mr. Chen expects to reduce the cash burn over the next few quarters as the company moves towards cash flow breakeven exiting FY15 (February). The company has already undergone efforts to reduce its manufacturing obligations, which will continue to wind down given the new and restructured relationships with Foxconn and Wistron. Furthermore, BlackBerry could benefit from tax and real estate tailwinds in the May-quarter. Tax refunds are expected to add about $400mn in the current quarter and another $150-180mn in 1QFY16 (consistent with our estimates). Similarly, the company is in the process of selling real estate assets, of which it will only need to lease back about one-third. BlackBerry has no plan and does not anticipate that it will need to raise additional capital in the future.

To stage the company’s turnaround among its traditional enterprise customers, Chen is both reducing fees but also seeking to differentiate the company from competitors in so-called “mobile device management” software and services:

BlackBerry recognizes that the MDM (Mobile Device Management) market is already quite crowded. As a result, it sees several sources of differentiation, including security and identity management, its NOCs for end to end encryption, application provisioning, and incremental services such as communications with BBM and secure voice. With BES12 coming in November, BlackBerry has already launched its EZ Pass program, whereby an enterprise can receive a free upgrade to BES12 from BES 10 or a competitive offering. Mr. Chen noted that BlackBerry has already won some competitor’s customers since making the program available on April 1. Under BES12, monthly ARPU per sub ranges from $1.50- $5.00 for Silver and Gold packages, respectively, down from a range of $2.00-$6.00 (mentioned below) for the legacy BIS/BES service fees. However, the company expects to sell additional features and software enhancements to increase ARPU over time, targeting $10 in monthly ARPU over time. Also recall that its MDM solution on BES12 supports non- BlackBerry devices (e.g. Android, iOS and Windows). Management is retooling the sales force to enable direct sales to enterprises, augmenting its traditional go-to-market through carriers.

Chen emphasized prospects for QNX running in automobiles:

Chen highlighted that it has won the Audi dashboard, and it expects to see revenues in 2016. Apple is trying to enter the market with CarPlay, though it still connects with QNX; other competitors could include Google. QNX is currently monetized as a software license, but over time BlackBerry could broaden it as a platform by adding its own or third party applications and services such as safety features, tire pressure, infotainment, etc.

The company is trying to expand BBM and looking for ways to monetize it:

BlackBerry is also open to expanding BBM to Windows Desktop. In terms of monetizing the service, the company launched ‘stickers’ on April 1, though that sounded more like a tactical effort than a strategic focus. Also, givens its secure NOC infrastructure, BlackBerry is considering commerce, mobile payments and identity management to generate revenues, though that is ‘not part of the 2-year recovery’ plan but a potential direction further-out.
    04-25-14 09:13 AM
113,250 ... 25772578257925802581 ...