View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If you want to support rimm purchase the products not the stock...
    Get over yourself, man. There are people who believe in a future with RIM. Just because you don't, you don't have to give mediocre market advice when based on the fact you're likely not a BlackBerry user, you're completely out of touch with "information" from terrible "sources" which you've based your opinion on. Which is why you're being a cynic and "waiting a couple quarters to see how BB10 does"? Many people here believe in RIM, so your input as quoted above is just about a waste of time for you, because a lot of us are willing to put OUR money on BB10.
    03-31-12 05:36 PM
    I'd like to get shares as a symbolic gesture. And then sell it when I'm 50 and retire off it.
    03-31-12 05:39 PM
    Get over yourself, man. There are people who believe in a future with RIM. Just because you don't, you don't have to give mediocre market advice when based on the fact you're likely not a BlackBerry user, you're completely out of touch with "information" from terrible "sources" which you've based your opinion on. Which is why you're being a cynic and "waiting a couple quarters to see how BB10 does"? Many people here believe in RIM, so your input as quoted above is just about a waste of time for you, because a lot of us are willing to put OUR money on BB10.
    What are you talking about dude. That's the truth, the poster wants to support RIMM...What's a better way to support a company other than purchasing the products?

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    03-31-12 05:53 PM
    Well, we're doing that too. I bought a PlayBook recently and am upgrading to a 9930.
    03-31-12 05:56 PM
    Unless you all can convince the other 95% of the NA smartphone population who've all left for other devices to do the same, then these "gestures" are about equivical to smiling at the Salvation Army bucket attendee when you walk by..
    03-31-12 06:04 PM
    Well, we're doing that too. I bought a PlayBook recently and am upgrading to a 9930.
    I have the 9930....very solid device....it's my second fav bb; the curve 8300 series is número UNO.

03-31-12 06:04 PM
    I invested in RIM, not as a supportive move, but rather a smart profitable business risk, I support the management team and like their bold moves.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-01-12 05:12 PM
    ...I don't understand this, Marty made a perfectly fair point. What the heck is buying shares of RIM going to do to support the company?

"Waiting a couple of quarters to see how BB10 does" is a completely sound and logical move from an investment perspective. Following RIM blindly is not.

P.S. if you're truly convincted in RIM's potential as a future long-term investment, may I suggest you stop following the share price every day. It does nothing but play on your emotions and is detrimental to your discipline, which is one of the most important aspects for long-term investing. (cue: "Intelligent Investor")
    Last edited by torches; 04-02-12 at 03:36 AM. Reason: more information
    04-02-12 03:17 AM
    Unless you all can convince the other 95% of the NA smartphone population who've all left for other devices to do the same, then these "gestures" are about equivical to smiling at the Salvation Army bucket attendee when you walk by..
    Sorry for the dupe ( thanks to my new English teacher), but since some people continue to miss-understand (repetitively ?) what this post is about (and its length may cause some laziness to find it out) :

The first thing you can actually do is to buy products -> Ok, I'm dumb, but I have a slight idea it would and I have/will (9000+9900+PB+accessories here).

wait, wait, don't, prefer x or z, RIM's dead, it will hit the floor, etc. -> Assuming we're talking about SMALL amounts (say, under 50-100 shares), this would be stupid to consider it with (solely) an investor point of view. You won't be able to win a dime due to taxes and fees unless the stock goes up with at last a 2 digits rate. Basically, should we "gamble" it would be for the big return ( a la apple); nothing else.

Summary :
    I'm buying shares because this denotes my point of view: that RIM, in its actual form or after a participation/takeover of another company will remain a major actor and its value will - sooner or later - be back to a "normal" one, far from the current book value.
    Buying such a ridiculous number of shares is not helping anything and will never make me rich ! It's mostly about putting acts and speak all together.

And finally, some thoughts (I mostly share) : http://seekingalpha.com/article/4716...er-blockbuster
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-02-12 at 07:59 AM.
    torches likes this.
    04-02-12 07:18 AM
    [04/13/2012 Stock $13.35 before opening.]

Looks like some are "betting" on RIM (financial move) negative "perception". Interesting thoughts inside.

By now, you've probably heard plenty about the demise of Research in Motion (RIMM). Sentiment is extremely negative on the name; everybody and their mother thinks the company is going down. Some analysts have gone as far as saying on live TV that RIM will be out of business.
    I am not arguing for RIM's comeback (even though I would cheer for them). Admittedly, things are not going well and will likely continue to get worse until the new BlackBerry 10 phones are released later in the year. Even then, some argue that RIM has an extremely difficult challenge ahead of them to gain market share.
    I get the worries. I get the criticism. I get the negative comments. But all of that is priced in the stock, and then some.
    RIMM has approximately $4/share in cash and investments. Tangible book value, which excludes patents and any intangibles, is $12.40/share. The patent portfolio is estimated to be worth between $5 and $10/share by various analysts. RIM also receives almost $2/share each quarter from very high margin recurring services revenue. The company can pay most of its bill from the services revenue until new handsets hit the market without tapping into it's cash reserve.
    If you have the risk appetite, you can consider buying the shares outright. If you are more conservative or think there is still some downside, selling cash covered put options is a great way to capitalize on the negative sentiment. Option premiums are very high and can reward the option writer handsomely.
    Consider this trade: place $9/share in your brokerage account as collateral. You can sell December $10 strike puts on $RIMM for $1/share net of commissions. If the stock does not drop below $10/share by the expiry date in December, you get to keep $1/share in option premiums. That is a return of 11.1% in 8 months, or 16.7% annualized.
    If the stock is below $10/share on expiry, you will have to purchase the shares at $10. In this case the average cost base will be $9/share, well below expected tangible book value.
    Profit From Extremely Negative Sentiment On RIM - Seeking Alpha
    04-13-12 03:53 AM
    As a "testimonial point", I link the Chris Umiastowski today's excellent article.
    http://crackberry.com/whats-next-research-motion-stock
    04-17-12 01:54 AM
    Stock UP this morning BEFORE the Keynote - down AFTER.... I guess the investors are not impressed.
    05-01-12 09:51 AM
    Stock UP this morning BEFORE the Keynote - down AFTER.... I guess the investors are not impressed.
    Don't be too sure. Those who are shorting the stock react differently than those investors who support it.
    05-01-12 10:40 AM
    Investors are beefs, they read the N.Y Times (http://crackberry.com/hey-new-york-times-get-clue) and believe they're techno-kings ... See also : http://crackberry.com/stock-market-a...ately-converge
    05-01-12 11:44 AM
    I just ordered 50 shares this morning. Took a day to open up a direct investing account after seeing the keynote yesterday.

The thing that got me to open up the account was BB Flow. It's seamless multitasking. The OS is so responsive and smooth due to the QNX backbone and I can't imagine that their method with be able to be copied to perfection. There'll always be some driver or software running that won't want to respond as quickly on a monolithic kernel. The capabilities of the QNX microkernel design for mobile computing are so massively misunderstood by the media its been depressing the stock price artificially.

The way that Flow was presented seemed very calculated. The video gave the appearance that the gestures are as natural and responsive as spreading out a poker hand. That's the impression I took away from the keynote, they're showing us a peek at their poker hand and you can see there's no bluff.

They're not after just the smartphone market or the tablet market. They're after the whole mobile computing pie, leaving the desktop and laptop form factors behind entirely.
    05-02-12 08:42 AM
    I just ordered 50 shares this morning. Took a day to open up a direct investing account after seeing the keynote yesterday.
    Now, you can quit naked avatar Welcome aboard
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...holder-719239/
    05-03-12 12:01 PM
    Come one guys! I believe in RIM and Blackberry, there bringing out an awesome OS and I'm very excited. RIM is a great company and they will do amazing things in the future.

Go ahead...buy shares, they will only go up
    05-03-12 12:37 PM
    Reading this thread is quite amusing. It was started half a year ago, when the stock price was hovering around $19. Every time the stock has a significant drop, there's some people who post here and say they're buying stock, because there's nowhere to go but up, right? And today the stock is a few pennies about $12, and again people are buying using the same reasoning. But somehow this time it's *really* different. Reasonable sounding rationalizations are made. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Shlooky and Air Force One like this.
    05-03-12 12:48 PM
    Reading this thread is quite amusing. It was started half a year ago, when the stock price was hovering around $19. Every time the stock has a significant drop, there's some people who post here and say they're buying stock, because there's nowhere to go but up, right? And today the stock is a few pennies about $12, and again people are buying using the same reasoning. But somehow this time it's *really* different. Reasonable sounding rationalizations are made. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    I may state that it's not *only* " Every time the stock has a significant drop"
    Lucky me, it took me some time to get my bank account ok for Canadian stock exchange ... so that I got them around $15.
    Just think different: whether we're buying a lottery ticket (and it is very reasonable to say that we have better chances to win ) or we just bring our words and acts together.
    Don't be that Cartesian ... we (the frogs) are the one supposed to !
    I can afford to wait ... what if it is the "divine surprise" ?
    05-03-12 01:37 PM
    Go ahead...buy shares, they will only go up
    It's down 15% so far this month. It can still go down.
    05-03-12 03:24 PM
    I will buy when it reaches $5.00
    05-03-12 03:53 PM
    here is the way i am looking at it

i DONT know if the stock will go lower (for me that means under $10)... but I DO BELIEVE VERY MUCH that it WILL GO HIGHER.

So that is why i am thinking of buying. Will the stocks hit $10? Who knows...
    but if you buy at $12 and it goes up to $20 then you are making $8 a share. Sure, making $10 a share would be better... but greed is a funny thing, because if it starts going up tomorrow you will end up making less then $8 a share when it hits $20
    05-03-12 04:06 PM
    Exactly...

05-03-12 05:04 PM
    Exactly...

It's interesting to note the points at which people thought that the stock would raise - the release of BB7, the playbook but most amazingly BB music???
    05-04-12 01:07 AM
    but if you buy at $12 and it goes up to $20 then you are making $8 a share. Sure, making $10 a share would be better... but greed is a funny thing, because if it starts going up tomorrow you will end up making less then $8 a share when it hits $20
    And if the stock goes down tomorrow, you could lose money. RIMM is a risky investment.

It's interesting to note the points at which people thought that the stock would raise - the release of BB7, the playbook but most amazingly BB music???
    Yesterday, someone commented that the stock would bounce on the announcement of a 4G tablet in Australia. Delusional.
    05-04-12 10:08 AM
113,256 ... 1819202122 ...