View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I'll still post my skeptical comments here if they are tolerated, many people here took them for what they were (hopefully constructive) and I only got labelled a Troll every now and then.

Great discussions and wonderful people 99% of the time in this thread. I probably can't go cold turkey, but I am sure somebody will remind me of the title of the thread.
    I am only an occasional poster here, but I've always appreciated your comments and your tone. In my opinion, skepticism and asking hard questions are good things, and should be encouraged. If a position doesn't hold up to honest scrutiny, it is always best to know that as soon as possible. So I'd hope you check in from time to time!
    m0de25, take99, lcjr and 3 others like this.
    09-03-13 02:53 PM
    Sadly for me, I just closed my BBRY position at $10.25, taking a $2,500 loss. The NOK deal was the last straw for me. I just see the downside outweighing any real upside and have a hard time believing in a company that doesn't seem to even believe in itself. Only a 50%+ gain to 15 would have brought me back to even so I took the painful, but survivable hit. I'll try that money elsewhere but will NEVER go short BBRY. Fortunately, I have a decent real estate capital gain this year to use up the loss against, so my real loss is closer to $1,500.

Good news for you guys is that my sale means a take out bid at $20+ anytime now!! I still have my z10 and PB and believe there is a place for BBRY, just not in my portfolio. I will still be rooting for BBRY and for you guys and gals to make money off it. I hope to have a flood of "I told you so's" coming my way in the future. GLTA
    Thanks button is missing, and would have pressed X10 for a such a valuable contribution you offered us all.
    Please don't go too far, we'll be glad to hear from you anytime.
    Best of luck with your portfolio, hopefully there's a better stock or investment that could bring you back at least even.
    Cheers
    Antoine.
    09-03-13 02:54 PM
    Good to see not everyone blocked me.
    The RX100M2 has already been returned. As good as the images were the camera is uncomfortably small. The G1X has re-won the coveted glove box and goes everywhere

As far as the ER, it will show very low sales, not many could argue on this. As far as how low the stock goes, time will tell. Not sure it will go way down from where it is now as it is bumping along the bottom.
    Nah, only blocked one dude because his childishness was getting on my nerves (I'm not a blocker usually, lol!) At the risk of going too far OT, the size (and "slipperiness") of the original RX was enough to hold off for this latest iteration but it looks like the industrial design didn't change. So, I think I'll eventually cave in and either get the stick on grip handle or the leather pouch. Hopefully you considered those 2 options before returning yours because it really is the best small digital out there.

Yep, luckily for me BBRY is bumping along close to my average and shouldn't veer too much away on either side. Was up 14k at the peak, in January but now I'll likely just stand to lose an RX100 sticker price
    lcjr likes this.
    09-03-13 03:06 PM
    Chris makes a couple of others points in the comments to his post that I think pick up on issues discussed here previously:

The folks who say BlackBerry's hardware business is worth zero are probably looking at it with the perspective I shared in this article. Who is going to buy it? What value does it bring to a buyer? If BBRY can't make BB10 successful owning the hardware then how can we expect a buyer of the hardware piece to make money? If we can't, then the argument of it having zero value is easy to float.
    There is a huge difference between NOK and BBRY hardware businesses. NOK has (now had) Microsoft depending on them. Nobody other platform vendor is depending on BBRY to manufacture hardware. So there is no natural buyer for a BlackBerry hardware business, while there was always a natural buyer for NOK. Ferragu may not have expected it, but practically everyone else in the tech world expected this to happen at some point. Right from the days when Elop was put in charge and he made the strategic bet on MSFT, people were saying it was inevitable that the courtship would lead to marriage.
    So I guess people can draw their own conclusions about Chris's overall position.
    09-03-13 03:15 PM
    I think it was pretty stupid to bet against Nokia, not because they are great, but because they had a guaranteed golden parachute. The same cant be said of BB, with even the Canadian government willing to let them fail.
    09-03-13 03:32 PM
    To be fair, they selected a guy who runs a number of stores within a larger empire under Verizon. For all we know he's merely commenting (out of place) for Wireless Zone. There's another thread floating around here stating that T-Mobile won't be carrying Z10/Q10 device any longer. I think all this points in the same general direction.

The article also also referenced a Canadian exec who declared the Q10 dead so it wasn't a standalone guy from nowhere USA.
    You made my point, farmers aren't buying Q!0's in Mid-America. Duh

Now, for 300 points and a chance to go onto T-School with a scholarship, who is that "Canadian Exec" you are referring to in the WSJ article?

<<<< And the conclusion:

"I think we'd all say that the Q10, the one we all thought was going to be the savior, just hit the ground and died," an executive at a Canadian carrier said. "It didn't drive the numbers that anybody expected." >>>>>>

Again, trolls use this garbage to support their agenda.
    silversun10, lcjr, fedakd and 7 others like this.
    09-03-13 03:32 PM
    "I think we'd all say that the Q10, the one we all thought was going to be the savior, just hit the ground and died," an executive at a Canadian carrier said. "It didn't drive the numbers that anybody expected." >>>>>>

Again, trolls use this garbage to support their agenda.
    While we dont have full information, you are kind of implying the wall street journal is lying. Either a Canadian carrier exec said it, or the WSJ made it up.

Now thats a serious allegation and the WSJ has a lot of credibility.
    09-03-13 03:43 PM
    While we dont have full information, you are kind of implying the wall street journal is lying. Either a Canadian carrier exec said it, or the WSJ made it up.

Now thats a serious allegation and the WSJ has a lot of credibility.
    In addition to you being terribly negative on BlackBerry all the time, you are proving to be naive too. The WSJ has nothing on any other source of news today, credibility is earned, not assumed. You might like reading Forbes and some of the other Enquirer papers while you are at it.

That article is vague and useless to those without an agenda.
    09-03-13 03:57 PM
    ...to support their agenda.
    Sad (But entertaining) to see bag-holders fooling themselves each time the Stock move against their bet or if a news is against BBRY... But Nothing is said when the stock lift on Nothings but Rumors... :P

rodan01 likes this.
    09-03-13 04:12 PM
    Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)’s agreement to buy Nokia Oyj (NOK1V)’s handset business, codenamed Project Gold Medal, was more of a sprint than a marathon.

Talks between the two companies began in February after both sides agreed a two-year-old collaboration on smartphone development wasn’t working, according to people familiar with the deal.
    BlackBerry Interest?

Meanwhile, Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft is keeping an eye on BlackBerry Ltd., the people said. The Canadian manufacturer has said it’s seeking a buyer, and its strong presence in the enterprise market could still attract interest from Microsoft, they said.
    How about Bloomberg's "People familiar with the matter"?
    Microsoft Raced to $7.2 Billion Deal With Soul-Searching Nokia - Bloomberg
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    09-03-13 04:14 PM
    Sad (But entertaining) to see bag-holders fooling themselves each time the Stock move against their bet or if a news is against BBRY... But Nothing is said when the stock lift on Nothings but Rumors... :P

I'm fairly certain that every time the stock runs on rumours, everyone here knows that and isn't taking it as gospel.
    09-03-13 04:21 PM
    Again, who can verify when they started talking if these "people familiar" with the dealings wish to remain anonymous. And, it's really easy to come out or make comments after the fact as who the hell cares when it all started.
    lcjr, bungaboy, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    09-03-13 04:22 PM
    Morgan,

The last time we had differing opinions you disappeared from the conversation (& I wound up on people's ignore list) so i'm not going to get into a tiff with you. I gather that you're very pregnant on BBRY and need this buyout badly, however, not everyone is as leveraged... Most people can make their own decisions, regardless of whether its a positive or negative.

My skepticism stems from Snr. Mgmt not batting down rumours (the way they did earlier this year) or putting a strong foot forward so the press wouldn't even consider putting out such stories.

As for farmers not buying phones, i think you're a slight bit off. Nebraska (& ND/SD) was/is a BBRY stronghold and I think they have many farms. I'm assuming based on this map that farmers would be more inclined to buy Q10's vs Z10s based on BBRY's legacy keyboards... especially since I suspect that they might be on 2yr contracts, right now would be the time to upgrade. Unless you don't count farmers as business people?

Iowa has many farms too but it looks like they are a heavy on iPhones... see below for reference:

Do You Live In An Android State Or An iPhone State? | TechCrunch
    rodan01 likes this.
    09-03-13 04:41 PM
    Morgan,

The last time we had differing opinions you disappeared from the conversation (& I wound up on people's ignore list) so i'm not going to get into a tiff with you. I gather that you're very pregnant on BBRY and need this buyout badly, however, not everyone is as leveraged... Most people can make their own decisions, regardless of whether its a positive or negative.

My skepticism stems from Snr. Mgmt not batting down rumours (the way they did earlier this year) or putting a strong foot forward so the press wouldn't even consider putting out such stories.

Do You Live In An Android State Or An iPhone State? | TechCrunch
    Just because BB Management isn't battling rumors doesn't necessarily mean the rumors are true. Sure they could come out and state their case, but I'm sure management has enough on their hands. There are two sides to every story and you can either believe what is written with poorly backed up facts, or ignore it and see the opportunities the company has. BB has been going through this media backlash for several years, there is nothing they can do to stop it unless they become profitable for consecutive quarters IMO.

Also, the last rumor they faught (returns exceeding sales fiasco) was indeed taken to action from BB due to the fact that rumor was in no doubt pure manipulation. If you compare the stock action to the release and timing of that you will most likely find that negative rumors since then had nowhere near the impact as that one did. I remember that day quite clearly, I woke up and was up 5000 and by the time the market closed I was under a few hundred. Ridiculous cork soakers.

OMG, sorry to hear for your loss, good luck in the future man... Don't sweat it, I am down quite a bit and if it wasn't for my balls of steel I'd have sold already when it was in the 9's (thankfully I didn't). I am hoping for this company to turn around or go private with a 20 plus target. However, time is becoming a factor. I am still looking for a job I want and during this time my extra cash is beginning to dwindle. I hope I don't have to sell off some shares eek! Lucky I got mom's cooking and no bills to pay for now or I'd be looped. This is the chance I've taken and I'm sticking with it... Fingers crossed!

Edit: Thanks BergerKing, I thought the word I posted was going to have these ****** across it bwhah!
    Last edited by Kid Vibe; 09-03-13 at 05:39 PM. Reason: You know why....
    bungaboy, lcjr, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    09-03-13 05:00 PM
    I'm fairly certain that every time the stock runs on rumours, everyone here knows that and isn't taking it as gospel.
    I really hope, but it's not what I see... Some here see BBRY as an Investment... It's an High Volatility/Speculative Stock with 2 strikes & half Against them...

Even if the hardware was the Best in the World, as an investor I don't really care about being the best, I care about profit or loss.

Lot of Superior products have failed.... and lot will fail again...and will be forgotten...

• Beta VS VHS
    • Commodore Amiga VS MS-Windows (Exactly Same Fate as BBRY will have IMO
    • Ford Edsel
    • Segway

And lot more...

BBRY proved lot of times that they are the WORST when it come to Marketing or Execution...

If I invest (NOT SPECULATING) I will not say "Ahhh this company COULD be bought by another so it COULD gain Value..."

In good Investment you make money cause the WHOLE plan from the company is good, and it's reflected in the Quarterly Report.

Some says QNX... If QNX was bringing some substantial money, BBRY was showing it clearly to state we are not Affraid cause we have SOLID Asset that are valuables. Only peoples that brags with QNX are Bag-holders.... BBRY don't brag with QNX cause they know the real value.

Instead BBRY will hide more things in next ER.... Flipping a coin is a better investment than BBRY at least you have 1/2 odds but with BBRY and theirs 2 & Half Strikes.... not a lot to hope...

GL to all
    rodan01 likes this.
    09-03-13 05:02 PM
    I really hope, but it's not what I see... Some here see BBRY as an Investment... It's an High Volatility/Speculative Stock with 2 strikes & half Against them...

Even if the hardware was the Best in the World, as an investor I don't really care about being the best, I care about profit or loss.

Lot of Superior products have failed.... and lot will fail again...and will be forgotten...

• Beta VS VHS
    • Ford Edsel
    • Segway

And lot more...

BBRY proved lot of times that they are the WORST when it come to Marketing or Execution...

If I invest (NOT SPECULATING) I will not say "Ahhh this company COULD be bought by another so it COULD gain Value..."

In good Investment you make money cause the WHOLE plan from the company is good, and it's reflected in the Quarterly Report.

Some says QNX... If QNX was bringing some substantial money, BBRY was showing it clearly to state we are not Affraid cause we have SOLID Asset that are valuables. Only peoples that brags with QNX are Bag-holders.... BBRY don't brag with QNX cause they know the real value.

Instead BBRY will hide more things in next ER.... Flipping a coin is a better investment than BBRY at least you have 1/2 odds but with BBRY and theirs 2 & Half Strikes.... not a lot to hope...

GL to all
    thanks for spending so much time & effort on a project you don't believe in.
    sidhuk, take99, cjcampbell and 6 others like this.
    09-03-13 05:13 PM

• Beta VS VHS
    • Ford Edsel
    • Segway

And lot more...

GL to all
    Shut up dude. Nobody cares about your quantitive analysis based on strikes. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 05:19 PM
    Not sure if this was posted.

"Microsoft is ‘keeping an eye’ on BlackBerry, apparently has interest in a potential acquisition."
    Bugmapper and zyben like this.
    09-03-13 05:25 PM
    Stop quoting my only grey screen poster!
    09-03-13 05:31 PM
    Stop quoting my only grey screen poster!
    No ignore list yet, but I have to admit the dude is really annoying.

Posted via CB10
    take99, sidhuk, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    09-03-13 05:35 PM

You were very sure last night that the stock would tank today, when you broke the MSFT news.
    I haven't had the time to check here much today, so I may have missed the screen shots of the short trades that you made today.
    Can you please re-post them for me?
    I am an amateur and would love to learn some more about trading.

Thanks!
    sidhuk, kadakn01, bungaboy and 8 others like this.
    09-03-13 05:35 PM
    In other news, Simon reported...
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-boa...ft-niche-focus

And this is the best I could read prior the night

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    jfguay2 likes this.
    09-03-13 05:43 PM

• Beta VS VHS
    • Ford Edsel
    • Segway

And lot more...

GL to all
    And this time Blueray won even though HDDVD had the lead. Nothing in tech is a sure thing. Nobody here has ever said it's a sure thing. Perhaps you skim the majority of posts and concentrate on your chosen few to get a "feel" for the mindset here. We all may not be savvy investors, or always make the right decisions, but we all know what we are a part of and know the risks.

As for your comment about "as an investor", the most valuable company, Apple, was brought about by a man who ran his business by this quote......

"Somebody once told me, 'Manage the top line, and the bottom line will follow.' What's the top line? It's things like, why are we doing this in the first place? What's our strategy? What are customers saying? How responsive are we? Do we have the best products and the best people? Those are the kind of questions you have to focus on."

Now look where they are. Take the hits as they come, produce a great product, and all will fall in line. You start to only worry about bottom line and investor value, you lose focus on the task at hand.

BlackBerry has a lot of investors, partners, and believers. They have a chance to grow beyond what they are and once were. With their network, the possibilities are endless. Of course this has to be executed but to think that it simply can't be is an erroneous assumption just as it would be to think that it is a given. There is a ton of work to be done but the hard work, the solid foundation, is there ready to be built upon.

This little rant may sound like it's coming from a fanboy but believe me it's not. I do like BlackBerry. I do own a Z10. At the moment, I do not own shares. But what I do have, is a belief and knowledge, that what they do have is something new and different that is not just different for difference sake. It has value for not only now, but for years to come.... it just has to be realized. That part takes time.
    09-03-13 05:49 PM
    9/3/2013; 22 million in volume; closed at $10.21.

As Morgan mentioned, the SP is building a base in the low $10.xx range. The action today makes me think that it could have happened without the Nokia news. The reason is, because if the news were to have a big impact, then there would have been a bigger move (up or down). Instead, it still trades within the base range, as you can see on the 60 minute chart. It looks like, we have a pennant forming here (pink lines). The trading range is getting tighter. MACD, BB, and RSI have the same reflection as well. This pennant appears to end in the next 7 trading days. It is possible for the big move that Morgan and I have mentioned in the past week could happen within this time period.

Bullish interpretation:
    - A possible pennant formation to indicate a continuation of uptrend move.
    - In comparison to last year (see the extended daily chart), the SP is building a base, instead of matching the low of the cup, after June ER. On this note, you could see that the current trend of stoch. RSI, MACD, and RSI are very similar to how they were last year. So far, the trend is very similar, but I think, the SP will resolve differently.
    - MA20 just crossed MA50 on the daily chart.
    - Hidden bullish divergence on the daily chart.
    - Makor issued a buy rating with $15 price target.

Bearish interpretation:
    - Rumor of Q10 sales not going well.
    - No update on corporate development.
    - The SP failed to close above opening price today.

--
    Support for tomorrow based on the pennant will be $10.08 - $10.11.

Hi Morgan; you draw a descending triangle on the daily chart. The August 28 candle with volume makes me think of it as a bottoming action, which becomes the first point of a pennant, accompanied with the narrowing range of the other indicators on the hourly chart. Although it is probably too early to tell, what do you think of the validity of this pennant? Thank you.

Hourly:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-09-03-5.58.48-pm.jpg

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-09-03-6.33.59-pm.jpg

Daily Extended:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-dz.jpg
    09-03-13 05:53 PM
    Well, Bloombergs 'People familiar with ....' also have this to say:

Microsoft's (MSFT) is still "keeping an eye" on BlackBerry (BBRY), which could be attractive to Microsoft because of its strong presence in the enterprise market, despite just closing a deal to acquire Nokia's (NOK) mobile handset business, reports Bloomberg, citing people familiar with the deal.

Microsoft still eyeing BlackBerry, Bloomberg says - Yahoo! Finance
    09-03-13 06:52 PM
113,256 ... 18321833183418351836 ...