View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    if i can buy back at bottom, it only needs to rise $1 from there for me to regain my losses. anything after that is profit.
    so, instead of breaking even at $14.61, i only need it to get to, say $13, assuming $12 is bottom.
    01-31-13 08:29 AM
    if you are in it for the long run, nothing that is happenning with the stock short term should affect you. The prospects that were there when you bought it are still there.

There has been a tremendous run-up in this stock based on pure speculation, and we are massive profit taking after a big news event. Nothing out of the ordinary, happens all the time to a stock like this. Having said that, trading will likely be very choppy for the next week or so. Subsequent to that, we should start hearing about sales volumes (either officially or anecdotely) leading up to the US launch that will IMO provide additional info on whether you want to keep holding this stock or not.
    i understand that but seeing -$7000 is ugly and my mom bought another 1000 shares because of my optimism so i feel so shameful for that
    01-31-13 08:30 AM
    They must have covered yesterday
    01-31-13 08:34 AM
    After some analysis and calculations, dumped it with some loss, but bought more at 12,25. This should hopefully do better than my previous position in the long run.
    01-31-13 08:36 AM
    BlackBerry needs some good news in order to push the stock in the other direction... no good news, then it will continue in the downward direction.

We all knew that RIMM need to really impress everyone with their launch, if they had $20+ was easy achievable. They didn't do that - the presentation was terrible, the delay for the US market is not going to be seen as good and too many of the reviewers were just so-so. BB10 is not ready to market (too expensive) to the current areas where BB has been seeing growth this last year. And MANY companies are not yet ready for BB10 deployment. Ours has been running BESX/BIS (the free one) and they aren't sure what they are going to do now.... other than put it off for a while.

If you are supporting RIMM/BBRY then keep your stocks and let them ride. If you are supporting yourself then you had better get out now and wait for some good news and then buy back in.
    OMGitworks and robkd like this.
    01-31-13 08:36 AM
    i understand that but seeing -$7000 is ugly and my mom bought another 1000 shares because of my optimism so i feel so shameful for that
    I know the feeling, as it has happened to me in the past (probably happened to most of us actually).

If you are going to stick it out long term, my only suggestion would be to avoid this thread and CNBC/BNN/your trading website. Easier said than done, I know

I bought some more at the open.
    01-31-13 08:39 AM
    Actually have to work today, too bad. For those of you, like me, who follow morganplus8 and his posts and technical work, I hope he shows up. The same technicals he likes seem to have all turned against BB. It has crashed thru several supports and moving averages on monster volume and may have even tumbled out of his trading channel. Hopefully we get stabilization and support today in the mid 12's or higher. A lot of technical damage has been done these last 3 days and hopefully the pre-market $1.00 plus loss reverses at the open or today. As I have been saying all month, RIMM is a gamble, I don't know which way it is going to go, but PLEASE don't play it with your rent money or any money you (or your Mom) can't afford to lose. If the shorts haven't attacked this stock yet, when they do it will get much worse. Good luck to all and be safe out there.
    01-31-13 08:40 AM
    I stopped giving stock advice after I mused at buying RIM back when it was $50. My mom though, hmm, okay, bought in, then it dropped to like $30. I mused at buying it again and she got more. It dropped.....

On a brighter note, as I said yesterday, I expected a further pullback and I predicted a 10% pull back in the morning so I sold at the end of the day yesterday and got in at this morning.
    If sentiment stays at this level, the stock should stabilize. It could go further down if more analysts say it's a sell, but as others here have been saying, short term fluctuations will have marginal effect on the long run. It might give shorts more time to cover, etc. But at the end of the day, the stock price will trade at fair market value/book value once RIM's financials are positive. (hopefully by the December earnings)
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 01-31-13 at 08:55 AM.
    01-31-13 08:42 AM
    At this point, just ride it out. Everything should be fine in the long run. New device announcements, new apps, new features (NFC utilization?), I personally feel it will crawl back given that there are no serious flaws with the device. It just sucks to see the stock get beat up like this...
    01-31-13 08:45 AM
    Down 90 cents (6+%) at the opening.
    01-31-13 08:47 AM
    PLEASE don't play it with your rent money or any money you (or your Mom) can't afford to lose
    Thanks, this should be printed red on every page of this thread. I try to remind it often, it's never enough.
    flyingsolid, yunvi, robkd and 1 others like this.
    01-31-13 09:01 AM
    Down 90 cents (6+%) at the opening.
    it was dlown to the low 12s before a small rally
    01-31-13 09:02 AM
    Sold all my shares, not coming back in until after earning reports.

Originally had 15k investment back in November, played with margins and it went as high as 50k..cashed out this morning at 30k.

The reason why i sold it all was because I believe just like how the market sentiment was positive before the launch, now it is the complete opposite. Trades were based on speculation and not hard numbers. We went from 7-18 , we can go from 18-7 again.

The quarter ends in less then 30 days. Even though it has been released in Canada and the UK, it is a small market compared to US. Also it will take time for people to digest the benefits of BB10..i don't think there will be a shortage of phones like they do with the iphone or nexus. Also, the general population is waiting for the Q10 more than the Z10(i'm a Z10 fan myself). Initial results are going to be terrible and these shorts are going to feed off it. Even though RIMM is doing great overseas, we need to remember that their goal is to capture North American market shares..and it will def be even worst than last due to the delay on the US release. BB7 sales will be worse because everyone is holding off for the BB10. We don't have any announcements of other countries selling BB10 except for the two mentioned. Cash burning from marketing is immediate but the rewards won't kick in until after. Dec-Feb is going to be bad. I predict another sell off after the results..but after that i am all in with my life (going to borrow as much as I can)..if it doesnt work I will commit suicide, GET RICH OR DIE TRYING!!!! lol

thoughts?
    nquyen likes this.
    01-31-13 09:04 AM
    rebought all my 2500 shares at $12.63.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-31-13 09:07 AM
    if you are in it for the long run, nothing that is happenning with the stock short term should affect you. The prospects that were there when you bought it are still there.

There has been a tremendous run-up in this stock based on pure speculation, and we are massive profit taking after a big news event. Nothing out of the ordinary, happens all the time to a stock like this. Having said that, trading will likely be very choppy for the next week or so. Subsequent to that, we should start hearing about sales volumes (either officially or anecdotely) leading up to the US launch that will IMO provide additional info on whether you want to keep holding this stock or not.
    i think initial sales volume is going to be bad. Released in the two smallest markets possible..and no Q10 when that is what the general population wants.
    01-31-13 09:09 AM
    rebought all my 2500 shares at $12.63.
    No cash available right now. But should we navigate around the $10-11, I guess I'll find some to double my position (remember, I'm talking about 150 shares : this is not an advice to do the same).
    01-31-13 09:10 AM
    just hit $13 on the TSX....then back to $12.87

we have Goldman Sach's support!
    StormieTwo and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-31-13 09:12 AM
    I don't really know what to think anymore, but the shorts can easily drive this thing back down to $10 if they want.

I'd say this is a huge gamble if you're not playing it long term (8months +)
    01-31-13 09:13 AM
    I'm holding what I have. I know the prices will go up eventually, so I'll play with other stocks while I wait. There are a few other opportunities out there if you like to trade now and then.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-13 09:16 AM
    Part of me is wishing I sold at about $17, but then again I bought at under $9 so I'm hoping it goes back up, I'm assuming all the shorts covered then?
    Acumenight likes this.
    01-31-13 09:19 AM
    $RIMM is taking a beating but If people expected it to go to $20+ after the launch, then they were delusional. It needs time to grow especially if there are early indications of numbers in Canada and the UK.
    01-31-13 09:21 AM
    are you just gonna go around posting this in every thread?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-13 09:24 AM
    I can fix this all right now. If I sell my shares the stock will climb fast, If I buy shares it will go down. If I sit on my shares it will go sideways.... i am reminded of a character from one of Douglas Adams books - a truck driver who didn't know he was a rain god....
    _dimi_, OMGitworks, m0de25 and 4 others like this.
    01-31-13 09:29 AM
    I can fix this all right now. If I sell my shares the stock will climb fast, If I buy shares it will go down. If I sit on my shares it will go sideways.... i am reminded of a character from one of Douglas Adams books - a truck driver who didn't know he was a rain god....
    I bought in before it tanked at $15.20 or something. Talk about regret. I'm just gonna sit on it.
    01-31-13 09:37 AM
    RIM still gets a buy rating from many analysts who see the big dip as nothing more than 'sell the news'.
    most view yesterday's launch as a success.

RIM: New name, new BlackBerry, same old sinking stock price - The Globe and Mail
    01-31-13 09:43 AM
113,256 ... 139140141142143 ...