View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Bought more shares early today. Apple news is behind us and so is initial CEO hysteria. Will be interesting to see if the overall trend for 2012 remains positive. I think so, and voted with my Ewallet.
    01-25-12 01:37 PM
    $16.23 @ 1530 hours.......
    01-25-12 02:30 PM
    a little bump as there's 2 new threads about this ... may lighten (both pro and con) reflexion ...
    02-02-12 12:58 PM
    Hey everyone,

I bought 5 shares of RIMM stock a few days ago..(since I don't have a lot of money to work with). Each week I'm going to get a few more shares until I eventually build it up.

I truly believe this company will make a big comeback and I'm staying with them for foreseeable future.

I didn't buy the stock SOLELY for the money making aspect. I'm in it to support RIMM, even if it means with very few shares. If I make money in the process, that's great, and it'll be a win-win situation for me.

Disclaimer: The opinions stated in this post are of my own and do not reflect the CB community as a whole.
    Superfly_FR and alnamvet68 like this.
    02-02-12 01:17 PM
    See, the vet with PTSD spoke, and Chaviv listened.
    Eli_B likes this.
    02-02-12 01:42 PM
    Superfly: I actually was planning on getting shares of RIMM for a while now, but I wasn't sure how many I wanted. However, after looking at what I could realistically afford, it turned out that 5 was the perfect number . Only after reading your post, did I see you also mentioned 5

alnamvet68: I guess I did...but in reverse
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-02-12 01:52 PM
    For guys interested in a LONG TERM INVESTMENT please note that you need a company that can actually aim to live long(no puns intended).
    Giving instances of Warren Buffet is silly enough as he is quite blessed and well set with all that he has done.
    RIM does not need our money as much as a better administration and a proper guideline.
    Buying shares does not mean that you'll be heard, they'll do what they want.
    Better donate that money to someone penurious. If RIM has to survive then it will, nobody can stop it!
    Last edited by VishRS; 02-02-12 at 02:00 PM.
    02-02-12 01:53 PM
    A lot of brave souls in here. I'm still not touching the stock until i see strong earnings/sales and significant growth for the company. Having faith in the company will not increase the stock price.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Caymancroc likes this.
    02-02-12 03:26 PM
    I bought 5 shares of RIMM stock a few days ago..(since I don't have a lot of money to work with). Each week I'm going to get a few more shares until I eventually build it up.
    I hope you got some sort of good deal on the commission on a $80 trade?
    02-02-12 03:29 PM
    App_Developer,

I'm using one of those self-trading sites. From what I saw, I didn't have to pay much commission on it...
    02-02-12 03:33 PM
    App_Developer,

I'm using one of those self-trading sites. From what I saw, I didn't have to pay much commission on it...
    Yikes, even if it's $7.95 a trade, $80 worth of stock needs to go up 10% to break even on hold, and 20% to break even if you want your cash back!!!

1/1/2012 Invest $80 (5@$16)
    Cost - $87.95 ($80 + $7.95)

12/31/2012 Stock up 20%, account value $96 (5@$19.20)
    Sell, proceeds $88.05 ($96 - $7.95)

You made $.10 (before tax) on an EXTREMELY risky $80 investment in a year with 20% gain!!!

About 1/10th of a percent gain annually.
    Last edited by Palmless; 02-02-12 at 04:19 PM.
    02-02-12 03:56 PM
    App_Developer,

Well, you should find out exactly how much you are really paying for each transaction. Because if you want to collect a few shares each week, you might be much better off collecting your cash for a weeks and then buying RIMM in larger trades.

It seems to me with $80 trades, a large percentage of your money will be lost in commissions. Or put another way, every two trades may be costing you one whole share of RIMM.
    02-02-12 04:30 PM
    Palm and App,

Thank you both for the info. I will look into it....
    02-02-12 04:50 PM
    I currently own 24 shares of RIMM purchased at around 14 something when they were really low. I have made a profit so far but don't intend to sell at this time.

Honestly, the way I look at it is this: Don't invest your house or car or something silly/stupid. Rather, invest extra money you can afford to lose and buy shares in RIMM or something else you think will do well. If it does, then awesome. If not, then you lost what you could afford anyway.

If RIMM gets back up to trading around 100 bucks like its former glory, and you DIDN'T, you'll be pissed
    02-02-12 04:54 PM
    Guys,
    somehow, it's (it wasn't at first) not that much about winning money here ...
    but I agree with app_developper about Chaviv strategy. Chaviv if your plan is to place on a 5 by 5 steps, you may wait a little and divide your trading cost by 3 or 4 and invest -say- 20 (means 15 more if I read well) at once ... so hold on and wait until it seems to me appropriate to do this: just prior to the 17th ;-).
    I'd love to hold a few Ks of shares ... you'd get some for a smile.
    02-02-12 04:57 PM
    Palm and App,

Thank you both for the info. I will look into it....
    02-02-12 05:06 PM
    If you really just had $80, I would venture to say there are a lot better ways to throw it away then on some speculative stock buy.

Why don't you go to the poorest section of town, take eighty 1 dollar bills and drive down the street with your sunroof open on a nice day, letting them blow all around behind you. Video that, put it on a blog, and allow advertising. You will do three things.

1) Give to the needy
    2) Have fun
    3) Let people laugh as they logon to your site

Who knows you could even make a buck from the ad revenue.
    02-02-12 05:25 PM
    If you really just had $80, I would venture to say there are a lot better ways to throw it away then on some speculative stock buy.

Why don't you go to the poorest section of town, take eighty 1 dollar bills and drive down the street with your sunroof open on a nice day, letting them blow all around behind you. Video that, put it on a blog, and allow advertising. You will do three things.

1) Give to the needy
    2) Have fun
    3) Let people laugh as they logon to your site

Who knows you could even make a buck from the ad revenue.

or start a riot and have people stab each other attempting to gather your money.
    02-02-12 05:28 PM
    I wasn't really going for that. I was going for the peaceful angle (being a non-violent person by nature). If you thought that was going to happen, then just hand someone $80. It will make their day.

My point was giving away $80 is better than trying to buy RIMM stock. As others have said, the commission alone would kill the deal.
    02-02-12 05:35 PM
    I'm just waiting for the day the stock hits $19.50 again and then I'm out haha been a roller coaster of a ride for me! Also the first company I ever invested in so I didn't know much back then. Did a lot more research since then.
    02-02-12 07:30 PM
    When this stock climbs back up to $150 per share and has stock splits, you will be happy you made the modest investment. It's a long term view.
    Eli_B likes this.
    02-02-12 09:10 PM
    When this stock climbs back up to $150 per share and has stock splits, you will be happy you made the modest investment. It's a long term view.
    Long-term view? Seems more like a "millennial" view to me.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    02-02-12 10:27 PM
    Long-term view? Seems more like a "millennial" view to me.
    My timeline looks a bit shorter. Like in the next 3 years. RIM has sharp rise as Apple stalls because new CEO tries to play SJ and fails, and has to address fallout from Foxconn.
    02-03-12 12:41 AM
    I wasn't really going for that. I was going for the peaceful angle (being a non-violent person by nature). If you thought that was going to happen, then just hand someone $80. It will make their day.

My point was giving away $80 is better than trying to buy RIMM stock. As others have said, the commission alone would kill the deal.
    Are you on drugs
    This way to make people feel "guilty" is quite unacceptable, may I say.
    Hand all you want (and more) this is a nice gesture - I highly encourage this - even more if you don't use it (provided you did ...) to promote yourself or put grief on others.
    Oh ... mama ...
    02-03-12 03:24 AM
    My timeline looks a bit shorter. Like in the next 3 years. RIM has sharp rise as Apple stalls because new CEO tries to play SJ and fails, and has to address fallout from Foxconn.
    There was this little short kid that came into my office the other day and he was talking about space travel and becoming an astronaut. Sometimes, you gotta let em dream.
    02-03-12 07:26 AM
113,256 ... 1213141516 ...