View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    This... You see Apple's famous logo on every apple product, which is branding. You never saw an RIM logo on a BlackBerry. Now the brand is one, and it makes more sense.
    Actually, some of the very early phones had the "RIM" logo on it. (e.g. Blackberry 950 )Though it didn't stay around for too long.
    They eventually transitioned to "RIM" and "BlackBerry" then dropped the "RIM" completely.
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 02-01-13 at 10:00 PM.
    02-01-13 09:48 PM
    Actually, some of the very early phones had the "RIM" logo on it. (e.g. Blackberry 950 )Though it didn't stay around for too long.
    They eventually transitioned to "RIM" and "BlackBerry" then dropped the "RIM" completely.
    Ya but that was a really long time ago.
    02-01-13 11:46 PM
    There is one very bad thing and this is that there is no more need of BIS/BES. There are a lot of questions about BIS/BES in the new BB 10. It seems that the customers are getting educated in forums with no real official statement about this.

I think that this is huge mistake.BlackBerry has been known and associated with their NOC and BIS/BES services, their handsets were just extension, a hardware part bringing these services to the final customers.
    The BlackBerry services always were what distinguished them from other brands. Now we are losing this exclusivity. There is no more anything special about BlackBerry, I don't know if they will bring back the customers back only with the new OS and new devices without extra services. I hope that I am wrong.

The need to say we are offering best of the class email system( security, push, reliability) They would made hosting packages to include 1 mailbox free with calendar/contacts/task sync to say we are offering best in class messaging system BBM, to offer full cloud back up for devices etc. People will be ready to pay for this and they will continue to charge for BIS and not to stop the revenue.

Every other manufactures is trying to add more and more services to support their own ecosystem. And they are good with this. Google is stopping Active exchange for Gmail, they making things more difficult for the others. Windows phone have Microsoft with Office 365 on the back. Apple is trying to implement iCloud also, although in unprofessional way(Dropbox is as great in syncing pictures just as iCloud)

They should keep these BIS/BES in some way, something like BlackBerry Cloud or similar even only with marketing purposes. Just look how Samsung is trying to penetrate enterprise segment with their ads.
    People will love to hear that they are using the most reliable and secure device and to have all of the apps that are available to the other ecosystems like bonus.
    02-02-13 08:05 AM
    BES is still there.
    As for BIS - I think you are misunderstanding. The only thing that has changed is that you no longer need a 'BIS' data plan. But most services that were provided by BIS are still available. For eg: BBM, BB Protect, BlackBerry ID and so on. Emails can be synched just as well with ActiveSync/CalDAV protocol so that you no longer need to interface via BIS. But for service that require BIS, it is still there as BB NOC.

Think about it, BlackBerry has allowed you to connect to BIS using WiFi for quite a few years now. Clearly, your device was able to connect to BlackBerry infrastructure via regular internet/data. Your WiFi was not a special "BIS WIFI". You were just un-necessarily forced to use a BIS data plan even though BlackBerry was perfectly capable of connecting to BB NOC without such data plan. I even tried this -- I switched on 'WiFi HotSpot' on my Android. Then I connected BlackBerry to Android's hotspot and BlackBerry connected to BIS just fine, synched emails, BBMs etc. Clearly, BIS specific data plan was no longer a must, but we were told to get that anyway.

So, I, for one, am glad that BIS specific data plan is no longer mandatory. It's now much easier to insert a prepaid SIM card with normal data-plan when travelling to different countries (and I travel quite a bit). Previously, inserting a non BB data specifc sim card would cripple your BlackBerry. It'd reduce a BlackBerry to a feature phone. But now, you can utilize full BB experience with a regular data plan. I think that's just great for customers.

So, to summarize, BIS specific data plans are gone but most services provided by BIS are still there. Email and Browsing no longer depends on BB NOC and that's a good thing. We won't see world-wide outage of email-service if BIS were to go down.
    morganplus8 and Acumenight like this.
    02-02-13 08:53 AM
    So here's the thing. My wife and I both have BBs. Prior to the Z10 I had a Bold 9900, Wife has a Curve (can't remember model, but recent). We're running a BES server at home to sync with Exchange server. I was on a BES plan, my wife on BIS. When I got the Z10, I switched to a regular data plan and am now using ActiveSync to sync with Exchange. Mainly because I didn't feel like setting up BES 10 Server and ActiveSync seems to be doing it's job well. In fact, there's zero difference as far as I can tell running on a regular data plan vs running on BES/BIS with the Z10. All the functionality that I had on BES is still there. I should also note that connecting to ActiveSync forces certain security policies on the Z10, so I can remotely wipe and lock the device from Exchange without having to use BES.

Once my wife upgrades to Q10, we'll eliminate BES server entirely, until then I'm still running BES Server for my wife's sake.
    Shanerredflag and Acumenight like this.
    02-02-13 09:30 AM
    I think there is a connection between cisco +blackberry. Cisco Systems

When Cisco wanted to start developing their next generation software platform, they turned to QNX� Software Systems. Today the QNX Neutrino� RTOS is at the heart of Cisco’s Modular IOS and IOS-XR software, and powers many Cisco products including the Cisco CRS-1, the world’s highest capacity router.

cjcampbell, spike12 and _dimi_ like this.
    02-02-13 10:29 AM
    I also found this

article published after Blackberry 10 Launch. During BB keynote, jan 30th, Heins mentions also '...the internet of things.' could there be a relationship forming between the 2? I think so!
    Cisco prepares application platform for Internet of Things - Techworld.com
    02-02-13 10:30 AM
    I also found this

article published after Blackberry 10 Launch. During BB keynote, jan 30th, Heins mentions also '...the internet of things.' could there be a relationship forming between the 2? I think so!
    Cisco prepares application platform for Internet of Things - Techworld.com

Good find and I like your reasoning....well done!!
    02-02-13 10:53 AM
    Hello everyone! Time for an update here as (RIM -RIMM) BB is setting up for an exciting week.

Here is the latest chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-feb-2-2012-chart.jpg

Again, a simple chart can tell you a lot about what is happening with the price of the stock. We traded on technicals down to the bottom of the chart this week, not what we wanted to see but not something we should be surprised to see given the recent rally. The stock wants to follow the 5-dma, when it is above that average, it rallies to the top of the channel, when it is below that average , it drops to the lower uptrend line. We did exactly that, and sat on the uptrend line for 2 days and waited for the close of the Put Option string on Friday18th. All of the money has been made on the downside now. We found support at the uptrend line which just happens to be the 50-Day Moving Average. You guess it, we have huge support here at the 50-dma. We are also one day away from trying to close above the 5-dma again and starting a new rally. This time, our next target is a rally to $ 20.00/shr. Yes, new highs here and this shouldn't be a problem. I believe we will be back up to new highs by the end of this month.

We have plenty of drivers, support at the 50-dma, a huge correction ended, Z10 and all of the great comments coming out of that. We also have a huge launch date set for March in the US while the phone does well everywhere else in the world. If we hear about sold out situations, back orders and the like, we will get to $ 20.00 quickly. What are we going to do when we get to $ 20.00 this time? We are going to lighten up a bit!

I'll get my Z10 phone on Tuesday, ... too cool, I loose all of my stitches on Wednesday, ... yahoo, and I'm already growing back my head of hair as we speak, all I need this week is to see BB back to $ 16.00/shr and I'm a happy trader. Good luck and let's get this thing rallying on Monday morning!
    02-02-13 11:03 AM
    Wishing you a swift recovery
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-02-13 11:23 AM
    "Cisco is working on a platform for the Internet of Things (IoT)..."

When something gets its own acronym you know it's real.
    spike12 and Shanerredflag like this.
    02-02-13 11:31 AM
    100% agree with morganplus8. During the last few weeks I had to watch the stock like a hawk waiting for the sudden drop so that I could get out in time. I can finally relax and concentrate on other things i.e. work. I'll start watching it again when we break through last major resistance which was at about 18.5 last time.
    morganplus8 and spike12 like this.
    02-02-13 11:42 AM
    Am I the only that sees the positive of no more BIS is no more negative news stories due to "Blackberry outages"? So many of the american iTards & bloggers ripped RIM to shreds over that
    02-02-13 11:55 AM
    I added another 250 shares on Friday at $13. @Morganplus8, your chart is compelling (makes me feel good I bought at the low in this cycle) but I am generally a buy-and-hold type of investor, and I choose on a combination of value fundamentals and brand equity value (and a $1B+ ad campaign doesn't hurt). I am convinced that Blackberry will be $400 in 10 years, if not higher.

It will be interesting if you are right about the $20 peak... looks very plausible.
    02-02-13 11:56 AM
    @Morganplus8 there are 2 technical formations on the chart you posted that worry me some.

#1 Because of the impulsive action leading to and after January 22nd, you can see the gap left on the 22nd as an "exhaustion gap" usually the signal of the end of a bull run.

#2 More worrisome is the gaps left on the way up Jan 11 high 13.595 and Jan 12 low 13.95) and from Jan 30 low 13.72 to Jan 31 high 13.35) is indicative of an "island reversal". These is a very worrisome formation on the daily chart and will get the attention of most technical traders as a stock in trouble.

I have enjoyed reading your analysis and have chimed in from time to time in support of your read, but this time i am a little more cautious than you for the reasons stated above. The stock should be under pressure again next week as I read this chart today - thought some strength and a strong move and and a close above 13.72 and would take away completely my concerns. The stock starts Monday close enough to these trouble points to be able to take out the worry early on but I would be a little cautious if the start on Monday is again weaker might find fund and system traders (these computers we hear so much about) eager to press the technical weakness.
    sentimentGX4 and Geeoff like this.
    02-02-13 12:56 PM
    As far as my investment portfolio is concerned, I don't support any company. I diversify and estimate returns without rooting for a certain stock. Why would I?

In other words, my investment and financial management behavior has nothing to do with my preferences for gadgets. Why should it?
    northernrds likes this.
    02-02-13 03:19 PM
    I did a quick retail check around Vancouver.
    The phone is nice, those ugly still that everyone thought were fake are used in the demo mode which is why they don't all feature the phone. The demo mode worked well, but when I tried to demo the screen share, it opened BBM video to a black screen and was stuck.

Retailers indicated incredible customer interest in the phone that isn't released yet. Way more than iP5 according to one salesman.

I am sold, my wife still wants the iP5.
    fedakd likes this.
    02-02-13 04:42 PM
    If you are in Vancouver, Rogers will let you play with it. Bell will not.

Also the screen does get smudgy and a little "resistive" compared to gorilla glass. It wasn't the big deal that reviewers made it out to be.
    02-02-13 04:49 PM
    As far as my investment portfolio is concerned, I don't support any company. I diversify and estimate returns without rooting for a certain stock. Why would I?

In other words, my investment and financial management behavior has nothing to do with my preferences for gadgets. Why should it?
    Although the title is what it is, the majority of us on here have seen an opportunity to make money buy investing in RIM, not because we like the gadget. It has made some a lot over the last few months. Just so happens that we all happen to have a BB too. Did you take some time to read the last pile of pages to see what the discussion has been like?
    Please don't pop on here with an air of arrogance like you have. Your post has not added anything to the conversation... it only spat upon the shared excitement of this threads participants.
    02-02-13 04:56 PM
    Although the title is what it is, the majority of us on here have seen an opportunity to make money buy investing in RIM, not because we like the gadget. It has made some a lot over the last few months. Just so happens that we all happen to have a BB too. Did you take some time to read the last pile of pages to see what the discussion has been like?
    Please don't pop on here with an air of arrogance like you have. Your post has not added anything to the conversation... it only spat upon the shared excitement of this threads participants.
    Whatever the reason is, I believe none would have invested without the sentiment it would allow some extra-bucks
    I must say, at the time I started this ... it was also kind of emotional thing, with the above, of course.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-02-13 06:05 PM
    Whatever the reason is, I believe none would have invested without the sentiment it would allow some extra-bucks
    I must say, at the time I started this ... it was also kind of emotional thing, with the above, of course.
    I'd agree. I like my current phone, I liked what I saw coming up, I liked the price point of the stock (shoulda bought sooner but dragged my feet opening an account), and felt it would do well. I did, however, look at the upsides and downsides, the history, and where they were, are, heading in the future. Sure there was emotion involved, but that emotion is what made me look deeper to make sure I was making, in my mind, the right decision.... I believe I did
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-02-13 06:15 PM
    So here's the thing. My wife and I both have BBs. Prior to the Z10 I had a Bold 9900, Wife has a Curve (can't remember model, but recent). We're running a BES server at home to sync with Exchange server. I was on a BES plan, my wife on BIS. When I got the Z10, I switched to a regular data plan and am now using ActiveSync to sync with Exchange. Mainly because I didn't feel like setting up BES 10 Server and ActiveSync seems to be doing it's job well. In fact, there's zero difference as far as I can tell running on a regular data plan vs running on BES/BIS with the Z10. All the functionality that I had on BES is still there. I should also note that connecting to ActiveSync forces certain security policies on the Z10, so I can remotely wipe and lock the device from Exchange without having to use BES.

Once my wife upgrades to Q10, we'll eliminate BES server entirely, until then I'm still running BES Server for my wife's sake.
    The only diffrence would be BES using special encryption and compression will not be there but you get standard https encryption with ActiveSync and compression is not required anymore in normal conditions. SO BIS will be absolute in few years and BES will be there to manage all platforms. RIM will make money if end uses still get BIS plan as optional..
    02-02-13 06:18 PM
    100% agree with morganplus8. During the last few weeks I had to watch the stock like a hawk waiting for the sudden drop so that I could get out in time. I can finally relax and concentrate on other things i.e. work. I'll start watching it again when we break through last major resistance which was at about 18.5 last time.
    Do you think it would hit $16 to $18 within next few weeks..or you see it going back to 10.80 support.. I guess it can go up US launch annouce if US carriers starts launching in mid feb and UK/Canada initial sales shows good nums...If not, I see it going to 10.xx before it moves up..share your thoughts..
    02-02-13 06:21 PM
    [QUOTE=morganplus8;7922720]Hello everyone! Time for an update here as (RIM -RIMM) BB is setting up for an exciting week.

Here is the latest chart:

Mogonplu8, Do you think it will hit $18 before hitting the support of 10.80. The volume of over 250 mil stocks on wed/thu was scary and feels like it is going to 10s. before it hits the high side. I guess some good news such as skype, instagram, licensing deal, US lauch date, good numbers from UK/Canada/UAE should take it up there..
    02-02-13 06:26 PM
    It's soley YOUR job to stop her!!

I did a quick retail check around Vancouver.
    The phone is nice, those ugly still that everyone thought were fake are used in the demo mode which is why they don't all feature the phone. The demo mode worked well, but when I tried to demo the screen share, it opened BBM video to a black screen and was stuck.

Retailers indicated incredible customer interest in the phone that isn't released yet. Way more than iP5 according to one salesman.

I am sold, my wife still wants the iP5.
    Goint likes this.
    02-02-13 06:48 PM
113,256 ... 147148149150151 ...