View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The stock is too crazy today, no action. Taking a day off from it.
    12-24-12 09:07 AM
    It has dropped another 1.7%
    12-24-12 10:54 AM
    Although I agree, I merely meant that the greater the risk = the greater the potential reward. RIM is a risky investment right now that is why it is/was trading as cheap as it was.

The following isn't specific to RIM. People are throwing around a lot of faulty assumptions here and I seek to correct people's understanding of the market in general. I would not expect that people who invest using faulty assumptions will statistically outperform people who invest using sound assumptions (although I can't really be sure about that, lol.)

Your assumption that "risk = reward" is faulty. It is common in the financial world for the risk premium to be out-of-line with potential returns. For example (and this is not the only one), prices easily get out of whack for a short period when unsophisticated investors (retail) overwhelm sophisticated investors (institutional) because of emotional attachment to stocks. So far, no one here has made any compelling statements that explain why RIM stock should be worth something other than what it is currently without qualifying their assumptions with emotional sentiment. So let me do that...

RIM has the same basic options as other companies: success, failure, breakup / takeover. No stock is priced exactly where it should be if people otherwise could divine its future. And so, the current price is probably not where it should be (QED), but I don't know if it is too high or too low. And the problem is that there are only a handful of people in this world who truly have a strong understanding of a company's future.

Imagine a situation where you knew everything Thorsten knows as well as what analysts may know and that you know whether large institutional investors plan on gaming the stock for their own purposes. Now imagine how anyone on the planet can know all that. If you agree with me that it is unlikely that others know as much as that, then no one can perform the risk-reward calculation properly. The statement "risk = rewards" cannot be true. Wikipedia agrees with me: Efficient-market_hypothesis

The trick for most speculative investors is somehow to know when to get in and get out. To me, I say that is strictly a matter of artistic prowess and is not something that is easily transferable. I don't have this ability, nor do most people. And unless you are in frequent contact with such a person, it is difficult to follow his/her advice. I liken it to unrestrained mountain climbing. Some people should never try it.
    12-24-12 06:38 PM
    Bouncing back 10% on the nasdaq today.
    12-26-12 12:14 PM
    TSX closed today so I don't have access to depth. Stock still very volatile though. Could be building up to another sell-off. I'm done trading RIM for the year, not gonna play this stock again until January. Right now very unpredictable.
    12-26-12 12:24 PM
    120 million shares short. Wow they are digging a big hole. No wonder. The criminal hegde funds had their puppet analysts who are in their pockets to kick up a phony storm. Looks like the smart money started to cover today before word gets out its last chance to cover.
    Tinomane likes this.
    12-26-12 07:05 PM
    RIM Shares Rebound After Post-Earnings Crash

By Nick Turner - Dec 26, 2012 5:29 PM CT.

..Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM), the beleaguered maker of the BlackBerry smartphone, gained 11 percent today, rebounding from a post-earnings crash that erased a quarter of the company’s market value.

The shares rose to $11.83 at the close in New York, marking the biggest one-day increase since Nov. 23. RIM’s stock has fallen 18 percent this year.

While RIM reported a smaller quarterly loss than projected last week, the company raised concerns about declining service fees. Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins said that lower-end users will generate “less or no service revenue” in the future, a move that affects RIM’s most profitable source of revenue. The shares tumbled 23 percent the day after the remarks and an additional 2.7 percent the following trading day.

Investors may have overestimated the impact of the change on earnings per share, Kevin Smithen, an analyst at Macquarie Securities USA Inc. in New York, said today.

“We believe that CEO Heins’ comments on changes to services plans were taken out of context and the EPS impact from those changes is not as great as the Street is fearing,” he said in an e-mail. “The stock was largely oversold post- earnings report.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Nick Turner in New York at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Nick Turner at [email protected]

RIM Shares Rebound After Post-Earnings Crash - Bloomberg
    donmateo and BB Fightclub like this.
    12-26-12 10:01 PM
    Glad to see prices back up. The TSX is up 12.75% over Monday's close.
    gezzledinho likes this.
    12-27-12 09:22 AM
    I've paid more then I would have over the past few months, but i'm still rather iffy about how the BB10 phone looks. RIM's really sink or swim on this. Is it possible the price is going to drop prior to that date? Certainly. Is it possible that the price will increase as other people also want a piece prior to the announcement: That's very possible as well. With no certainty as to what's going to happen (i'd put odds on price going up), it was still time to buy. Shares? No, still to much uncertainty for me. I did buy 10 16Feb13 calls at $13 however. Whether I choose to exercise them or sell them is going to be dependent on my opinion of the new phone when released, when it comes available for sale, and general retail response to it (Hopefully at the Jan30 press conference they also announce it's on sale starting the next day)
    12-27-12 10:07 AM
    Almost a week without commenting, finally could be healed!
    I'm glad I went away from the news... Didn't get nervous!
    So... Set it and forget it is stilly position.
    12-27-12 12:10 PM
    Bought on the TSX @ $10.63 after the panic sell post-announcement of subscription changes. The market closed that day @ $10.50

Market closed today @ $11.70 which is great news.
    BThunderW and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-27-12 10:54 PM
    Awesome....and Welcome!
    Bought on the TSX @ $10.63 after the panic sell post-announcement of subscription changes. The market closed that day @ $10.50

gezzledinho likes this.
    12-27-12 11:21 PM

Same here, but instead at $10.82 just a few days before (as the market was closed for the holidays, etc.)

Saw it go down to $10.50 and didn't care at all, planning on holding this baby for a year or more, not gonna mess around with selling it short to make a quick buck. I have faith in you RIM, backed by some money now. Lets see what you can do!

EDIT: At the time of writing this, I currently have 666 posts.. Probably not the best post to end the night on. :P
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 12-28-12 at 05:34 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-28-12 01:04 AM
    Hi all. Just noticed that we went over 50% of potential buyers in the poll. Nice eh?
    BThunderW and bungaboy like this.
    12-29-12 06:11 AM
    Only few more days and I can start playing the stock again. Can't wait. also sitting on some more cash, will buy some more if below 11.5.
    12-29-12 09:01 AM
    Just purchased another 50 shares this morning bringing my total to 100 shares. My first batch I paid approx $17.20 a share. I honestly am kicking myself for not buying much sooner at the $6 range.
    12-29-12 10:44 AM
    Just purchased another 50 shares this morning bringing my total to 100 shares. My first batch I paid approx $17.20 a share. I honestly am kicking myself for not buying much sooner at the $6 range.
    I don't recall stock going as high as $17.20 since it dipped to $6 levels.
    12-29-12 11:24 AM
    Perhaps he bought it when it was on its original downward spiral..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    12-29-12 11:33 AM
    Perhaps he bought it when it was on its original downward spiral..
    Perhaps. But Frank2029 wrote "My first batch I paid approx $17.20 a share. I honestly am kicking myself for not buying much sooner at the $6 range." Sounds like implication is bought during an upward trend (sooner: $6, later: $17). But anyway, I guess, he probably meant "later".
    12-29-12 11:43 AM
    Could have been 11-12 months ago.
    12-29-12 11:44 AM
    I picked up another 2000 shares this week. Deeply invested!
    12-29-12 12:34 PM
    Sorry I should of been more clear. I wasn't aware someone was going to pick apart my post. I first purchased 50 shares back when it was on its downward spiral @ 17.20. This was about 8 months ago or so. My second batch of shares that i purchased yesterday @ 11.75 was another 50 shares. I am kicked myself for not buying more shares (my 2nd batch) when they were @ $6 a piece. Meaning i could of afforded to get double the amount of shares. Its too bad i have a mortgage now and will not risk any further. My girlfriend was already mad enough i bought shares in RIMM instead of buying her a puppy. lol
    12-30-12 11:41 AM
    I picked up another 2000 shares this week. Deeply invested!
    Very nice. Wish i could of done that.
    12-30-12 11:42 AM
    I bought $55, lost whole bunch, bough more around 22s, sold some..sold all of them out and bought more around $11..it should hit $15 by launch and if bb10 does well then early 20s by march..if they sell well then late 20s by the end of the year..
    12-30-12 07:16 PM
    Thought I would update the chart to let you know what is possible for RIM in the days ahead:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-dec-31-2012-chart.jpg

If you look at the chart, you will see that we had a horrific drop back to the uptrend line a couple of weeks ago. Since then, we have bounced back and stalled out at the very important 7-day moving average. If you look at the circles on that chart, you will see that we can make 20% and higher gains whenever we close above the 7-dma and today ($ 11.83/shr) we are forming a small wedge or pennant formation just under that mark. I expect that we will gap above this mark and begin what will be a 40% rally into the BB 10 launch. That's a pretty good return so if you are inclined to invest in RIM, now might be a great time to do so. The 50-dma is continuing to move up so your down side is in the recent lows of $ 10.50/shr. Not a bad risk/reward scenario is it? Let's hope the US finds a solution to their stupidity soon so that the general market doesn't tank in the year of the RIM!!!

Good luck!
    12-31-12 10:59 AM
113,256 ... 5657585960 ...