View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Don't worry tiny panties, it's called an unfair advantage, and I am milking it all the way.

As an investor, I am more focused on how well BlackBerry fares with the software, services, IoT, and of course, stock price.
    But you've got a case of mistaken identity. It's Molly reincarnated.
    05-29-15 08:19 PM
    Couple of devices at the end of the year is more than one!

http://crackberry.com/john-chen-priv...dware-business

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 09:59 PM
    Can't help you there Dusdal, but looks like someone bought 62,000 shares today. Can someone check that?
    Haha.

Note the Morgan Stanley increased position.

And yet their target is way below the $10 it's been floating around. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    zyben, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    05-29-15 10:05 PM
    Couple of devices at the end of the year is more than one!

http://crackberry.com/john-chen-priv...dware-business

Posted via CB10
    Anyone think this will include an upgraded Classic? Or a new Z30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-29-15 10:17 PM
    Anyone think this will include an upgraded Classic? Or a new Z30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope. The Slider and the Keian (Porche Design) I believe.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 11:34 PM
    As the quiet period has started, here are my predictions for the quarter

517 million USD in total revenue:

- 263 million USD in service revenue
    - 81 million USD in software revenue
    - 173 million USD in hardware revenue, with revenue recognized on 819 000 smartphones

No thoughts on ESP.. probably between 0,04 negative/positive.. imho

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bungaboy, lech31 and 6 others like this.
    05-30-15 05:19 AM
    Article in the G&M about the impact of IoT on Canadian industry. BlackBerry even gets a mention.

....the world�s technology firms are sprinting to own the market. Global giants Cisco, GE, IBM and Intel are in competition with Canadian players like BlackBerry Inc., which unveiled its IoT solution market in January. The Waterloo, Ont.-based company pitches its security reputation as part of its platform for connected vehicles, as well as shipping and asset tracking.
    Beyond the smartwatch: Canada finds its place in the Internet of Things - The Globe and Mail
    bungaboy, jxnb, Corbu and 10 others like this.
    05-30-15 06:38 AM
    "I don't think you can separate the two, and 10 years seems to be an awful long time. I would say the difference between the hardware and software business is probably more like 80/20 right now. In the next year or two I'd like to get to 50/50 or 60/40 so that we build a pretty robust software business. And the other software business is based on security almost entirely. The differentiation is it will come from security, and the area we talk about (with that) is the medical field. The hardware also will contribute to the security part of the equation. But the handset business is going to be very much focused on professionals using the device."

Interesting quote. It could imply that hardware revenue is much better than most would expect: 80/20 relation for hardware/software would mean 324 million USD / 81 million USD in revenue if software revenue continues to increase by 20%. That would mean they're still selling 1,5 million smartphones per quarter.

But, as he has set the goal of 600 million USD in software revenue and 'likes' to see a 50/50 or 40/60 relation with hardware revenue.. that would mean there's still a drop to come in hardware.. 187-225 million USD per quarter or anywhere between 880 thousand and 1 million smartphones per quarter..

Of course, if ASP remains the same and JC's goals in software revenue.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    05-30-15 07:16 AM
    On our friend's take.

Worth a read:
    BlackBerry ( T.BB ) stock message board and forum - Bullboard Discussion - Stockhouse Community

Faucette: Pulling numbers out of the MS drainpipe

This is a significantly revised version of a post I wrote at SA responding to the summary of Faucette's argument.

Faucette is being deliberately misleading about the idea that BB is being undercut by other aggressive MDM vendors offering their services at a cut-rate $2-$5 per month. To begin with, BlackBerry offers one of the cheapest MDM licenses out there. The Silver Universal (all OS's) Annual subscription is $25/year. That's $2.08 per month. Its most expensive annual subscription (which bundles in some valuable service and software options) is $80/year, or $6.67 per month.

Faucette then creates a false contrast by saying that BlackBerry is (unrealistically) seeking revenue of $9 per user per month. He implies heavily that BB needs to get more of that from its MDM, but will find that hard to do because of all that competition at $2 to $5/month/user. Faucette, based perhaps on the same kind of checks/interviews that led him to suggest BB had sold 8K Classics and Passports last Q4 -- believes that BlackBerry won't be able to make up the difference between MDM revenue and the $9 target with its present line-up of apps, higher service levels, peripheral services, etc.

But stop for a second. Faucette's claim that BB needs to reach $9/month ARPU by the end of FY/16 is a classic case of the "begged question."
    $9??? SAYS WHO?! Faucette pulled that number out of his Morgan Stanley drainpipe.

Let's break it down:
    (a) BlackBerry's goal is to make $500 million a year in software. (For the time being, forget about the $100m from BBM.) To do that, the company needs a run-rate of $125m per quarter by Q4 (125m X 4 = $500m). That equals $41.67 million per month.
    (b) To get there, BB needs $9 per month per user. Very interesting. This implies that Faucette knows how many BES clients there will be in Q4/16.
    (c) Divide $41.67m/month by $9/month/user = 4.63 million BES12 clients.

Seriously? 4.63 million clients?
    A strange thing about this is that Faucette predicted half a year ago -- November 19 -- that BlackBerry would end FY16 with 6.5 million BES clients generating $8/month in revenue. BlackBerry: Morgan Stanley Cuts to Sell on Unrealistic Expectations - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    For his new numbers to work, Faucette has obviously reduced his estimate from 6.5 million to 4.63 million. That's a massive reduction.

Problem: BlackBerry reported it had 6.8 million clients on December 19 -- and that number represented only the clients who had thus far taken up BES10 through the EZ Pass program (there were/are still an unknown number working with the old BES5 configuration).

In other words, Faucette was given the evidence that BB had already achieved 6.8 million clients just a month after he figured the company would have no more than 6.5 million a full five quarters into the future. But instead of modifying his predictions in BB's favour, he has gone in the opposite direction.

Strange, though -- in his most recent analysis, he makes no explicit mention as far as I can tell of this large loss of clients. Instead, he talks about how difficult it will be for BlackBerry to sign up new customers, which implies that BES will at least maintain the number it presently has until the end of the year.

All in all, I see a sly jiggling and juggling of numbers that have been arrived at via the infamous "channel checks" (probably focused entirely on American companies), and I can only surmise this has been done with duplicitous intent.
    lech31, jxnb, awindsr and 17 others like this.
    05-30-15 07:20 AM
    To make $600 million in FY16 they need a higher run rate at the end of the year.
    Last edited by sati01; 05-30-15 at 07:53 AM.
    05-30-15 07:42 AM

- 173 million USD in hardware revenue, with revenue recognized on 819 000 smartphones

Posted via CB10
    The biggest part of the EZ Pass effect was included in the previous quarter and it's an annual payment. Software revenue could be lower this quarter.
    05-30-15 07:52 AM
    The biggest part of the EZ Pass effect was included in the previous quarter and it's an annual payment. Software revenue could be lower this quarter.
    Software consists of more than just MDM revenue. I am interested in your source though? I reckon the ones still paying CALs will eventually take care of the run rate. They're still on BES5 for a reason and, imho, will continue to require BlackBerry's servers. But, figuring out how many are currently on BES10/12, EZ Pass, (non) trial, silver or gold license,... seems impossible to me. I hope your source will provide more clarity?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    05-30-15 08:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    If we are predicting, my take:

###############

Revenue $470M
    $240 Service
    $160 Hardware
    $70 Software

##############

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 08:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    That explains the recent article barrage.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 08:57 AM
    But, as he has set the goal of 600 million USD in software revenue and 'likes' to see a 50/50 or 40/60 relation with hardware revenue.. that would mean there's still a drop to come in hardware.. 187-225 million USD per quarter or anywhere between 880 thousand and 1 million smartphones per quarter..

Posted via CB10
    I didn't read that and Infer Chen meant a drop in hardware but rather a significant growth in software. I understand where you are coming from with the numbers etc, but it's not how I understood the quote. Without more information it's hard to say, and one could be short term goal one a long-term. Or one could be a goal and one a pipe dream.

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    05-30-15 10:34 AM
    If we are predicting, my take:

###############

Revenue $470M
    $240 Service
    $160 Hardware
    $70 Software

##############

Posted via CB10
    US classic and passport first full quarter (only had one week in the last quarter) and enterprises getting around to more bb10 bulk purchases I say 1.1M phones and 235 ASP for 260M hardware rev.

90M software.

And service down 16% from last Q whatever that is.

But won't they add in the document management software Financials? It closed within the Q so they need to account for it.

So software could be over 100M including that.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 10:53 AM
    05-30-15 10:54 AM
    Actually, under accrual accounting, the revenue should be recognized ratably over the year. Cash may or may not have been collected up front though, depending on what kind of deal large customers struck with BlackBerry. Smaller customers would probably have had to pay up front.

But that would also mean that there might be a FY Q4 bump as the EZPass customers renew for year 2.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    05-30-15 11:04 AM
    Actually, under accrual accounting, the revenue should be recognized ratably over the year. Cash may or may not have been collected up front though, depending on what kind of deal large customers struck with BlackBerry. Smaller customers would probably have had to pay up front.

But that would also mean that there might be a FY Q4 bump as the EZPass customers renew for year 2.

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget we will prob see some tax benefits this qtr

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and zyben like this.
    05-30-15 01:05 PM
    "I don't think you can separate the two, and 10 years seems to be an awful long time. I would say the difference between the hardware and software business is probably more like 80/20 right now. In the next year or two I'd like to get to 50/50 or 60/40 so that we build a pretty robust software business. And the other software business is based on security almost entirely. The differentiation is it will come from security, and the area we talk about (with that) is the medical field. The hardware also will contribute to the security part of the equation. But the handset business is going to be very much focused on professionals using the device."

Interesting quote. It could imply that hardware revenue is much better than most would expect: 80/20 relation for hardware/software would mean 324 million USD / 81 million USD in revenue if software revenue continues to increase by 20%. That would mean they're still selling 1,5 million smartphones per quarter.

Posted via CB10
    If they are 80/20 for real even at no software growth we are looking at 280 hardware 260 service 70 software 10 other for 620M.

But you are right we have to be looking at 80-90 software so

320 hardware 260 service 80 software 10 other plus document management so 670 which is an increase in revenue. That would be amazing. Hope Chen is not rounding too much!!

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 02:18 PM
    Don't forget we will prob see some tax benefits this qtr

Posted via CB10
    Probably not that much this was wasn't too bad for losses....just R&D credits to help but how much?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 02:22 PM
    M+8 what's your thoughts on SP for BlackBerry? Do you see the stock heading lower and if so what lows are you looking at? Looking forward to any thoughts you have.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 02:58 PM
    US classic and passport first full quarter (only had one week in the last quarter) and enterprises getting around to more bb10 bulk purchases I say 1.1M phones and 235 ASP for 260M hardware rev.

90M software.

And service down 16% from last Q whatever that is.

But won't they add in the document management software Financials? It closed within the Q so they need to account for it.

So software could be over 100M including that.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, I'll throw my numbers into the ring...

$614M

$260M hardware (1.1M devices @ $235 ASP; ASP last Q was 210 up from 180, and that was still a decent mix of BB7, this Q will be 90%+ BB10 which I think is good for at least a 10% Q/Q ASP growth.)

$259 Services (16% decline Q/Q)

$85M software (this needs to start ramping up....25% Q/Q growth; including .80M watchdox revenue for 3 weeks rev in May month since it closed May 7)

$10M other

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually think this is a good conservative estimate. I think hardware could be higher ASP say $250 and 1.1M units would be $275M making Q rev $629M. This would be a 5% Q/Q total rev decline and not bad at all -- if Chen guides higher for the next Q. Revs are still very hardware dependant and can help the short thesis if they decline too quickly.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    05-30-15 04:42 PM
    M+8 what's your thoughts on SP for BlackBerry? Do you see the stock heading lower and if so what lows are you looking at? Looking forward to any thoughts you have.

Posted via CB10
    Hi guy,

There isn't much to report here, the stock is moving within a tight range, seems to find it difficult to get above $ 10.50 and hold it lately.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-may-29-2015.png

I'm looking for a typical pull-back here so we should hit our low on Monday. We haven't heard any news to drive the stock and Friday was the end of a quarter for Funds. I look for us to hold $ 9.75/shr and base for a couple of days and find an excuse to pop from there. The only trading that I'm doing these days is with HALO, I own everything I want to own for June now. The stock seems to reverse direction before it gets over-bought or over-sold so I think we will reverse soon. That's it!
    05-30-15 05:43 PM
    OT. Technology related :
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/googl...thes-1.2398895

SAN FRANCISCO - Google announced Friday that it is working with iconic U.S. jean maker Levi Strauss to make clothing from specially woven fabric with touch-screen control capabilities.

The Internet titan used its annual developers conference in San Francisco to reveal its so-called Project Jacquard and to spotlight Levi Strauss as its first partner.

Named after a Frenchman who invented a type of loom, Project Jacquard is in the hands of a small Google team called Advanced Technology and Projects (ATAP), which is different from the Google (x) lab that developes big-vision innovations such as self-driving cars.

"We are enabling interactive textiles," Emre Karagozler of ATAP said as the smart fabric was shown off in an area set up to look like cloth coming out of a loom.

"We do it by weaving conductive threads into fabric."

The special threads can be woven into a wide array of fabrics, and be made to visually stand out or go unnoticed depending on designers' wishes.

Conductivity can be limited to desired parts of fabric or spread across entire cloth.

"It is stretchable; it is washable," Karagozler said as people controlled lights or computer screens with finger strokes on a blue cloth covering a table in the display area behind him.

"It is just like normal fabric."

Project Jacquard makes it possible to weave touch and gesture interactivity into any textile using standard, industrial looms, according to Google.

Anything involving fabric, from suits or dresses to furniture or carpet, could potentially have computer touch-pad style control capabilities woven.

Conductive yarn is connected to tiny circuits, no bigger than jacket buttons, with miniaturized electronics that can use algorithms to recognize touches or swipes, ATAP said.

The data can be sent wirelessly to smartphones or other devices, enabling actions such as making phone calls or sending messages with brushes of fabric.

"In our hyper-digital world, people constantly struggle to be physically present in their environment while maintaining a digital connection," said Levi Straus's head of global product innovation Paul Dillinger, who took part in a Google presentation at the gathering.

"The work that Google and Levi's are embarking upon with Project Jacquard delivers an entirely new value to consumers with apparel that is emotional, aspirational and functional."

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 06:06 PM
113,251 ... 33903391339233933394 ...