View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    So if this rumor with deCarta is true, how does this benefit BlackBerry? I'm missing the point of the fuss.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I was trying to ascertain as well. My limited understanding is that it enriches the search function within the mapping app itself. As an example, if you search "mcdonalds" it provides a more accurate, comprehensive and thorough list of McDonald's in the area. Also, it compensates for not having the Address properly written. So as an example if you ask Maps for seventy first street, but it is listed as 71st, the old way would say address not found, with this set up it can figure it out.

I'm just guessing thou.....

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-27-14 02:57 PM
    M8 strikes again....damn black magic wizard!
    08-27-14 03:24 PM
    Of the Twelve members of Blackberry's Executive Team, can you guess how many came from or worked previously at SAP/Sybase?
    Hint: it's more than 6
    BlackBerry Executive Team - Canada

It begs to question why would these business savy, world class leaders and managers care to join JC in his doomed ship? Were they just lemmings following a headless chicken? (Remember, they could have easily joined other corporations with their experience and background). Or did they see the enormous potential and challenge they have in hand and help JC turn this sinking ship into something colossal.

The list alone is enough to convince me to bet the farm so to speak. They are in for the long term, and myself included.

BTW: answer is 8
    08-27-14 03:34 PM
    Hi man,

I get all of my technical information from my Guru Tugginmapuddin
    LOL...that's a drink through my nose...

Eazzy Peazzy
    Corbu, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    08-27-14 09:42 PM
    That's what I was trying to ascertain as well. My limited understanding is that it enriches the search function within the mapping app itself. As an example, if you search "mcdonalds" it provides a more accurate, comprehensive and thorough list of McDonald's in the area. Also, it compensates for not having the Address properly written. So as an example if you ask Maps for seventy first street, but it is listed as 71st, the old way would say address not found, with this set up it can figure it out.

I'm just guessing thou.....

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    Also, BlackBerry Assistant.
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    08-27-14 09:58 PM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But if it is indeed BlackBerry they are now working with, should we expect to see BB Maps to start having similar functionality as Google maps?
    ... And it will be hitting a Crackberry new post in 5, 4, 3....
    08-27-14 10:23 PM
    Hi man,

I get all of my technical information from my Guru Tugginmapuddin...

Whoa-whoah!

We are all here to look out for each other, so I reckon that you bypassed your doctor's instructions on waiting in due time for the official OS 10.3, and you side-loaded the 10.3 leak into your cranium, didn't you!?

Back load 10.2. You are glitchin' out man!

Nostalgic reference shout-out to CJ and Randal.

)
    08-27-14 11:05 PM
    Also, BlackBerry Assistant.
    Would it be safe to also presume that BlackBerry is shying away from Google API dependencies?
    Possibly another link in the new BlackBerry security layout??
    08-27-14 11:12 PM
    Would it be safe to also presume that BlackBerry is shying away from Google API dependencies?
    Possibly another link in the new BlackBerry security layout??
    BlackBerry doesn't use a ton of Google stuff anyway outside of the obvious (email, browser search) everything LBS or mapping is based on TomTom unless a developer specifically used Google in their app. The only other thing I can think of right now is the map view data on the Android runtime. Also, even if it is true... it's not really shocking. BlackBerry has used deCarta in the past all the way back to 2010, possibly even earlier on BBOS through their white label services. Is it cool? Yup. Will it help them? Sure. Is it some game changer? Nah. The Google mention just sounds good because it's 'against the norm'. You mention DeCarta to normal people and they'll likely say it's one of jay z's best albums. :|

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 04:08 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't use a ton of Google stuff anyway outside of the obvious (email, browser search) everything LBS or mapping is based on TomTom unless a developer specifically used Google in their app. The only other thing I can think of right now is the map view data on the Android runtime. Also, even if it is true... it's not really shocking. BlackBerry has used deCarta in the past all the way back to 2010, possibly even earlier on BBOS through their white label services. Is it cool? Yup. Will it help them? Sure. Is it some game changer? Nah. The Google mention just sounds good because it's 'against the norm'. You mention DeCarta to normal people and they'll likely say it's one of jay z's best albums. :|

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze!

Great to see you drop in here and thanks for clearing this up.

Now back on topic... I'm hoping you've positioned yourself well to capitalize from the imminent explosive growth BBRY is about to encounter. Aside from the fact that your career as CIE of CB is pegged to the success of BlackBerry, there is some real money to be made with this stock. You might want to consider jumping on board before this rocket takes off. But I get the feeling that I'm only reiterating something you already know

Thanks for everything you do and for the wealth of information you provide all of us to make a knowledgeable investment in this company we love! GL!

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 05:50 AM
    ^
    Who is jay z?
    08-28-14 05:50 AM
    ... And it will be hitting a Crackberry new post in 5, 4, 3....

Handset Maker (Blackberry?) Selects deCarta to Replace Google Local Search
    08-28-14 05:57 AM
    ****, Bla1ze jumped in this thread, **** just got real lol

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 06:58 AM
    Requires subscription

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    08-28-14 07:02 AM
    Requires subscription

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    Handset Maker (Blackberry?) Selects deCarta to Replace Google Local Search

LBS platform supplier deCarta today announced it is now providing the local search function for a “major mobile handset manufacturer.“

deCarta has not revealed the name of their new customer, but sources outside the company and familiar with the matter said this new customer is smartphone maker Blackberry.

Not surprisingly the service utilizes TomTom map and POI content, the map licensing division of the Dutch GPS map maker being a publicly known supplier to Blackberry.

deCarta said it has been hosting and running the search service since August 7 using L2, its geo-search engine, and has replaced the search service previously provided by Google. The service already delivers millions of responses per day to users in 122 countries.

L2 offers single line search entry and a number of other features matching Google's product such as predictive entry, tolerance for misspelling, random ordering of address information or search for a POI near an address or another POI.

"We are quite happy with the market reaction to L2 since its introduction last year" said Kim Fennell, CEO of deCarta.

"We're seeing large mobile, telematics and automotive customers switch to L2 in competition against other local search engines and geocoders such as Google, Bing, Nokia/Here and Pitney Bowes,“ he added.
    sidhuk and ibpluto like this.
    08-28-14 07:14 AM
    08-28-14 07:34 AM
    08-28-14 09:48 AM
    A little love from South Africa

But Chen�s Z3 masterstroke proved the deeply scarred company could indeed move swiftly and with purpose....

The company wants every "professional to think of BlackBerry as the number one tool that gets things done. That is what we have lost and that is what we are trying to recreate. That is our new raison d��tre, our new DNA. Or reconnecting with our DNA."

It sounds fanciful, but one wants BlackBerry to succeed. You want there to be healthy competition in a world where the winners are Apple and Android.

Microsoft and BlackBerry, in market share terms, are distant followers.

Just like you always want sportsmen to have a second chance, you want BlackBerry to recreate its glory years with some fine products and avoid sinking into oblivion like previous pioneers Prism and Palm
    Blackberry reaching for roots | financialmail
    08-28-14 01:41 PM
    Love it! Wasn't it JP Morgan that announced they were cancelling plans to upgrade to BB10 because of "uncertainty of the company's future".

Pretty sure an upgrade to BB10 would have cost them less than this security breach will.

Hate to laugh at other's misfortunes, but I can't help at least a little chuckle.
    08-28-14 02:31 PM
    Does anyone know when the Jan 2017 options will be available they are available on the canadian market but not the american
    08-28-14 02:40 PM
    Love it! Wasn't it JP Morgan that announced they were cancelling plans to upgrade to BB10 because of "uncertainty of the company's future".

Pretty sure an upgrade to BB10 would have cost them less than this security breach will.

Hate to laugh at other's misfortunes, but I can't help at least a little chuckle.
    Hope jp Morgan's choice causes uncertainty in their CIOs future!

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, ibpluto and sidhuk like this.
    08-28-14 07:09 PM
    Saw a comment today on CNBC fast money about BBRY as a potential acquisition due to tax inversion similar to the Tim Hortons deal with Burger King.

I thought I would mention it as I have not heard of it before, although it is very unlikely.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kadakn01; 08-29-14 at 12:35 AM.
    08-29-14 12:17 AM
    This is off topic kinda sorta...I think most people fall into this mindset though :
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-a...ent=emailshare

Eazzy Peazzy
    bungaboy, ibpluto and sidhuk like this.
    08-29-14 06:56 AM
    This is off topic kinda sorta...I think most people fall into this mindset though :
    iOS App Developers Survey Apple - Business Insider

Eazzy Peazzy
    Nothing surprising, developers arnt developing apps for the joy of it. Its all about money and this article adds nothing but the obvious
    08-29-14 07:10 AM
    iOS App Developers Survey Apple - Business Insider

Eazzy Peazzy
    Doesn't shock me. Although what boggles the mind is that developers still build for iOS first. At this stage based on market share I would be starting with Android first.
    Shanerredflag, sidhuk and CDM76 like this.
    08-29-14 07:49 AM
113,251 ... 28082809281028112812 ...