View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Oh, yeah.... THAT memo. That yellowed, crumpled one with a few darts stuck through it on the wall. I'll get to it.

Hey jxnb. Didn't you get the "Memo"?

The drive by "experts" have been posting here that it's no good, fail, others are better, etc.

Get with the program willya. Show more BB hate and negativity.
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    04-16-14 01:39 PM
    BlackBerry anticipated this move.
    Samsung is now pushing hard to beat to death its direct competitor (appl) by asphyxia.
    They (BB) are not going to fight against that. They just can't afford it.
    So ...

Forget Sun Tzu, very efficient (the best IMHO) but requires time and patience.
    Jump straight to Machiavel : Divide et impera (divide and reign).
    Don't bite, steer clear. And deliver.
    I think Samsung is more likely competing against the other android phones. HTC has made another great flagship this year. But if it doesn't sell against these aggressively priced GS5s, then one wonders if htc can do it again next year.

I'd like to see more price cuts on the Z30 though as it is getting a bit old now. Good news is that bb10 runs great on even older hardware. It makes BlackBerry able to compete in the low cost handset wars.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 03:37 PM
    04-16-14 04:24 PM
    Zyben -- Great find! Thanks for posting this. John Chen shows that he is courageous and absolutely right on point with this message. My admiration only grows.....

zyben, Corbu, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    04-16-14 04:41 PM
    You're welcome And I agree with your comments on Chen
    jxnb, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    04-16-14 04:55 PM
    04-16-14 06:22 PM
    All fingerprint scanners are hackable.

Myth busters did an episode on it and if those idiots can hack any fingerprint reader anyone can.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, CDM76 and Superfly_FR like this.
    04-16-14 06:28 PM

Myth busters did an episode on it and if those idiots can hack any fingerprint reader anyone can.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Apparently. I like that show. Specially how they treat buster.

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    CDM76, bungaboy and plasmid_boy like this.
    04-16-14 08:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you, but they are not idiots. I love the show.

Posted via CB10
    bizzarothor, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    04-17-14 05:19 AM
    I really like the new UI concept for the hub in 10.3.

If they can do that we could get back some cool factor.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 05:24 AM
    Sorry if this was posted earlier. I don't recall seeing it. However the "noise level" has been high of late. LoL

BlackBerry confirms desktop video chat coming to its eBBM Suite of products | MobileSyrup.com
    zyben, jxnb, Superfly_FR and 3 others like this.
    04-17-14 08:01 AM
    Apple's done a great job but phone costs Rs 50k: Sculley - Moneycontrol.com

John Sculley, the former chief of Apple, is funding a venture that aims to launch low-cost smartphones in India, to be priced between Rs 5,000 and Rs 8,000.

In an exclusive interview to CNBC-TV18�s Shereen Bhan, Sculley said he hopes to sell a million units and turn profitable in five months. Sculley is bullish on India and promises to invest big bucks in the coming days.

[...]

Q: How do you really optimize costs? How do you squeeze costs out, what is the magic of this frugal expense model?

A: Lot of it is going virtual. In other word we don�t build overhead. We will virtual out to partners where we can, where we think we have to own that part of the business ourselves we will invest in it and own it ourselves. I looked at buying Blackberry earlier this year and we were prepared to pay about USD 4.5 billion to acquire it and then they pulled the auction in and decided to go in the different direction with a outstanding CEO John Chen. If any one is going to turn that company around it will probably be him. However when we looked at the Blackberry organization, they had we estimated 6500 people [doing what] ff we had acquired it we probably would have done with a few hundred people. So, we go in and we don�t build a lot of overhead into these businesses and that is a key part of running the Asian frugal model. You just don�t add a lot of overhead.
    Original quote erroneous. Corrected it.
    bungaboy, zyben, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    04-17-14 08:21 AM
    I really like the new UI concept for the hub in 10.3.

If they can do that we could get back some cool factor.

Posted via CB10
    Where is that concept? Haven't come across it on CB.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 08:24 AM
    Where is that concept? Haven't come across it on CB.
    From earlier post 64311.

OT: Some very neat ideas regarding the BlackBerry 10 HUB in here...

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Blac...gined/15793795

BlackBerry Hub Reimagined In 10.3 UI Concept - Berryflow

Long live BB10!
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-17-14 08:32 AM
    I looked at buying Blackberry earlier this year and we were prepared to pay about USD 4.5 billion to acquire it and then they pulled the auction in and decided to go in the different direction with a outstanding CEO John Chen. If any one is going to turn that company around it will probably be him. However when we looked at the Blackberry organization, they had we estimated 6500 people [doing what] ff we had acquired it we probably would have done with a few hundred people. So, we go in and we don’t build a lot of overhead into these businesses and that is a key part of running the Asian frugal model. You just don’t add a lot of overhead.
    Auction? Wonder where the high bid was?
    04-17-14 08:47 AM
    Auction? Wonder where the high bid was?
    most likely from lenovo
    04-17-14 09:14 AM
    We will never know, government put a stop to it before it was initiated

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 09:16 AM
    Blackberry on how it plans to take on Facebook and Twitter for ad revenue with BBM | News | Marketing Week

Blackberry on how it plans to take on Facebook and Twitter for ad revenue with BBM

Blackberry has asserted it has the scale and ad formats to compete with the likes of Facebook and Twitter when it comes to generating ad revenue from its Blackberry Messenger (BBM) app.

David Proulx, Blackberry’s senior director of BBM business development, told Marketing Week marketers have shown early interest in BBM’s ad offering, given its reach of 85 million monthly active users and the “trackability” its measurement team provides.

He added: “Facebook and Twitter have done a good job of pivoting into mobile and driving investment into mobile but by no means does this world have enough native mobile social inventory to buy just yet. It’s certainly not exhausted and marketers want more.

“Marketers look at the scale of our audience - 65 per cent of our users are daily active users - and marketers are definitely interested in that reach. By no means are we done at 85 million, we will grow. And it’s worth bearing in mind that there are places in the world where there are more BBM users than Facebook or Twitter users.”

Marketing Week: BlackBerry launched BBM Channels that allows brands to create their own channel, similar to a Twitter profile or Facebook page, last year. This year you started testing advertising on the service. Can you provide more detail as to what stage that trial is at?

David Proulx: The global trial is still gradual over the coming months. Advertising uses the native first party inventory of BBM and comes in three formats: featured channels, sponsored posts and sponsored invites. It speaks to the very fabric of BBM and with formats like invites we’ve been very selective over the frequency and types of brands that can participate.

We are providing a robust solution to track outcomes such as app downloads as part of our initial offer. We also offer data on the ongoing CRM relationship with that channel [after a user saw an ad], particularly looking at things like the time it took for someone to read a post.

More broadly, there’s a great opportunity in the realm of traditional marketers, such as automotive and consumer packaged goods, to look at sponsored content to formats that direct to a microsite or a video. We will also look to partner [with a research company] as everyone is looking for that second factor value.

MW: How effective is advertising with BBM compared with other digital advertising channels?

DP: We have more than 500,000 Channels on BBM and that content gets syndicated to a users’ updates, which is the second most visited destination on the app after chats.

We’re not publishing any engagement rates this year but we know across the industry that native performs better than standard banners and display, and we are seeing that borne out.

Mobile, social and native are the three bywords for marketing this year, and all of those are in BBM.

MW: What types of advertisers are trialling BBM ads?

DP: We’re testing with a small set of key parnters to make sure we get it right. At the moment we are focusing on performance, mobile-focused advertisers that already spend prolifically on mobile and also traditional advertisers.

Those in that second class are finding mobile is producing dubious results at the moment in terms of attribution and results, their question at the moment is: “is that good, or not?”.

We’re taking an FMCG brand as an example, which has invested in a BBM Channel like a native app for all its brands. The BBM Channel offers an opportunity to create a brand inbox on the device, with the ability to have a direct one to one conversation.

MW: Blackberry has also started exploring rolling out payment functionality into the BBM app, can you tell us more?

DP: We are looking at the notion of payments. We rolled out a commercial trial in Indonesia [in 2012] that is helping us test the waters and understand consumer appetite for BBM payments.

It is an interesting opportunity because the engagement with mobile is disproportionately inside messaging apps. When you look at things like peer-to-peer payments, the relationship between two people is already established and the context of the transaction is already established. So rather than a financial services provider forcing them to create a presence on their phone, the experience could logically fit in BBM.

The challenge for anyone in the payments and banking industries is that user acquisition funnel on mobile and having to deploy it across all operating systems. A partner needs to accept that the mobile use case is different than other delivery channels and understand there’s a great opportunity in messages: we are very open to conversations [from payments providers].

I’m not demonstrating a want to be a bank, but we see there’s a great melding between mobile and financial experiences. Peer to peer payment is the simplest to conceptualise but I can see a value attached to the application of a service where users could buy something in a shop and make a transaction.

I’m not pegging a specific time frame on when these services might launch as I don’t want to be presumptive right now.
    zyben, sidhuk, rarsen and 10 others like this.
    04-17-14 09:24 AM
    This comment is key as financial institutions, or 'partners' in this use case, need to realize that they are not going have complete control over the mobile payment process:

A partner needs to accept that the mobile use case is different than other delivery channels and understand there�s a great opportunity in messages: we are very open to conversations [from payments providers].
    bungaboy, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    04-17-14 12:20 PM
    This comment is key as financial institutions, or 'partners' in this use case, need to realize that they are not going have complete control over the mobile payment process:
    I doubt the financial institutions feel they need to realize anything. The only way they are going to give up any control is if their partner has tremendous market penetration, leverage with the consumer, and financial leverage. Among the large mobile technology partners that could get involved in financial transactions, Blackberry doesn't come to mind.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    04-17-14 12:27 PM
    I doubt the financial institutions feel they need to realize anything. The only way they are going to give up any control is if their partner has tremendous market penetration, leverage with the consumer, and financial leverage. Among the large mobile technology partners that could get involved in financial transactions, Blackberry doesn't come to mind.
    Or when the financial institutions realize that mobile players, BlackBerry comes to mind, will do an end run around them and cut them out of a very lucrative and rewarding endeavor. Financial transactions are not limited to 'financial institutions' as most people, yourself for example, know them.
    zyben, jxnb and bungaboy like this.
    04-17-14 12:43 PM
    Or when the financial institutions realize that mobile players, BlackBerry comes to mind, will do an end run around them and cut them out of a very lucrative and rewarding endeavor. Financial transactions are not limited to 'financial institutions' as most people, yourself for example, know them.
    Seeing as how the Blackberry ID can be tied to a credit card or in many countries, carrier billing, do you think, worse comes to worse, that BlackBerry simply taps that payment mechanism for BBM Money? Any idea what kind of cut BlackBerry gets from the Indonesian pilot of BBM money?
    04-17-14 01:26 PM
    I do not think the banks are too concerned with Blackberry getting "an end run around them". These new mobile financial transactions are going to be very big in the future but it will take a MAJOR player or several to get it off the ground. Blackberry could be part of it but the "big boys" will rule in the end.

Maybe in Indonesia . . . .
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 04-17-14 at 02:15 PM.
    04-17-14 01:51 PM
    It's true what you say, but that argument hasn't put Master Card or Visa to bed or Pay Pal from growing and Blackberry simply does not have the footprint or number of users to have any leverage in this game. Yes they can participate, but they will be dictated to, not be the ones giving the orders in this area. Walmart has a bank, Apple has many more users, Facebook, Twitter, PayPal, all have a much better chance in this area to be a leader than BB .

Blackberry has to offer the functionality, but I don't see anyway they can be serious player in this market.
    04-17-14 01:52 PM
    I think it may be fair to say that this sideways stock price action is building a nice base for a move up. The price wouldn't budge below $7.15 today and I am hoping it could be a signal that this bottomless stock is nearing the bottom. Would anyone here with better TA skills care to tell me if I'm onto something?

Disclaimer: I am not depending on or expecting a move up. I know this thing will take several quarters to play out and I've been waiting a very long time, and will continue to wait. However, I am eager to see us back into the double digits, where I think it belongs. At least that would reduce the amount of "BlackBerry is Dead" talk. Enjoy the holiday weekend all!
    bungaboy, sidhuk, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    04-17-14 03:38 PM
113,251 ... 25712572257325742575 ...