I'm not experienced regarding shorting stocks. I've seen comments that the current short interest in BBRY is about a quarter of all the shares. Let's say the shorts start to cover their positions. How long before it is public knowledge that a significant number are starting to cover? Is it a day-to-day thing where you could see the needle move almost immediately? Or would you need to wait a couple of months before finding out that the shorts are giving up?

Thanks
    03-13-13 10:43 PM
    Every 2 weeks.
    Research In Motion Limited (BBRY) Short Interest - NASDAQ.com

Not sure what date the next report is.
    jrlong and squished18 like this.
    03-13-13 11:19 PM
    http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/Trader.a...ShortIntPubSch

The date reported will be the dissemination date

Posted via CB10
    jrlong and squished18 like this.
    03-13-13 11:58 PM
    Stupid question time: How do the "Shorties" cover there... well, shorts?

I don't get the w
    03-16-13 03:19 PM
    @Bacon: a "short" is a borrowed stock, so at some point, the shortie must buy the stock to repay the one they borrowed. Depending on who the shortie is, they can wait indefinitely to buy that stock to repay. Smaller investors, though, are subject to "margin calls" -- perhaps the scariest two words that an investor can hear. So if BB/BBRY share price rises too much, the margin calls start kicking in forcing buys of the stock to cover, which compounds the problem and you can get some crazy appreciation.

Margin Trading: The Dreaded Margin Call | Investopedia
    03-17-13 11:16 PM
    Thanks jrlong - I wonder when the last margin call was.... Are you invested in BB or BBRY? Anyone else...? Bueller? Bueller? Anybody?
    03-20-13 12:24 AM
    Thanks to the other guys for the links. As you can tell by my questions, I am a new trader, and only understand simple trading, exclusive of the options trading. I was reading an analyst stating that the point off loss for short interest was currently at 14.58, so anything above this amount spelled a loss for the next short interest settlement date. This doesn't make sense to me(?).
    04-28-13 12:20 AM
    Thanks jrlong - I wonder when the last margin call was.... Are you invested in BB or BBRY? Anyone else...? Bueller? Bueller? Anybody?
    It's not "the" margin call.. it's "a" margin call, and they happen daily, to different people. All it means is a given margin account no longer has sufficient margin and the broker forces you to cover it. (Try the second google hit for "margin call", for a start.)
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    04-28-13 09:54 AM