June/July 2011: Jim Balsillie/Mike Lazaridis: $35 a share is unacceptable and too low
    Sept/October 2011: Jim Balsillie/Mike Lazaridis: $20 a share is unacceptable, we will increase shareholder value
    Today at $10, we are happy that share price is $10

Since the beginning of human history, expectations are played with.
    01-20-15 04:43 PM
    Prem Watsa: $40 a share is fair value.

Edit: The $9 a share he wanted was for him to buy it. He obviously thinks it's worth more!

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Prem WatsApp like this.
    01-20-15 05:20 PM
    Or simply reality changes.....

Jim & Mike didn't have a clue once the iPhone was released.... they were engineers that had a GREAT product, and just for some reason assumed that no one else could surpass it.

Prem Watsa - Made a mistake.... everyone does it.

But if the Classic doesn't sell millions, if they continue to lose marketshare, if revenues for Services continues to fall.... the "reality" that $8 a share is a good price will have to be accepted for a while... regardless if they continue to be "profitable". Because it takes both profitability and success to create value - sometimes just success is all that is needed with the promise of future profits. But a company in a nose dive is a risk, regardless of how much "profit" they are able to eek out, or how many potential "next big thing" project they are "working on".

Now maybe in the future, BlackBerry returns as some Secure Communication Services company.... but that isn't just yet a reality.
    peter_keres likes this.
    01-21-15 08:03 AM

Jim & Mike didn't have a clue once the iPhone was released.... they were engineers that had a GREAT product, and just for some reason assumed that no one else could surpass it.

But if the Classic doesn't sell millions, if they continue to lose marketshare, if revenues for Services continues to fall.... the "reality" that $8 a share is a good price will have to be accepted for a while... regardless if they continue to be "profitable". Because it takes both profitability and success to create value - sometimes just success is all that is needed with the promise of future profits. But a company in a nose dive is a risk, regardless of how much "profit" they are able to eek out, or how many potential "next big thing" project they are "working on".

Now maybe in the future, BlackBerry returns as some Secure Communication Services company.... but that isn't just yet a reality.
    There are a lot of ifs in your comment. If the Classic sells in the millions, if they gain some market share with the Passport and Classic, if revenue from services start to pick up with Bes 12, if they start to see money from monitoring BBM, if they start to see revenue from QNX, if Nanthealth starts gaining some traction, well you get the picture.Ifs are a two edged sword. Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 11:37 AM
    There are a lot of ifs in your comment. If the Classic sells in the millions, if they gain some market share with the Passport and Classic, if revenue from services start to pick up with Bes 12, if they start to see money from monitoring BBM, if they start to see revenue from QNX, if Nanthealth starts gaining some traction, well you get the picture.Ifs are a two edged sword. Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    I agree things could go a number of different ways.... which is why investing is closely related to gambling at times. The greater the risk the greater the reward.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-21-15 01:47 PM
    Your argument makes no sense, it spells bankruptcy. Hope BB does not have advisers like you. Jim Mike Thor all got paid for destroying company... crony capitalism at its best. BBRY can be a $30 stock tomorrow if they follow my plan. I repeatedly asked them to make BBM and MDM multiplatform 4 years ago.
    As well enter chinese market.
    As well as make all android apps compatible.

01-22-15 07:38 AM
    Your argument makes no sense, it spells bankruptcy. Hope BB does not have advisers like you. Jim Mike Thor all got paid for destroying company... crony capitalism at its best. BBRY can be a $30 stock tomorrow if they follow my plan. I repeatedly asked them to make BBM and MDM multiplatform 4 years ago.
    As well enter chinese market.
    As well as make all android apps compatible.
    Were did I make and argument for what BlackBerry should be doing.... I'm not fool enough to think that anyone at BlackBerry is reading these forums and using the info to run their company. Or that anything I say is even original. There were people here six and seven years ago that taught cross platform BBM was a good idea. Many made some very detailed post on why there was a need for replacement of the Java Based BBOS in order to keep up with iOS and Android. Back then many taught that BlackBerry needed to do more to build and incorporate the big social media apps into the OS (then it was BBOS).

How would BlackBerry enter the Chinese Market? The don't have a product that sells very well in any other market, so why would it sell there where you can buy a $50 smartphone in a vending machine? The days that people could buy a BlackBerry smartphone and felt that they were safe from the government's prying eyes are over..... they would be more secure using a $50 phone with WhatsApp.

Make all Android Apps Compatible - yeah there were a number of people here that said building their own OS and thus own Platform from scratch using QNX was a bad idea. And there are some that think that dropping BB10 and going full Android was and is the best option. Because BlackBerry CAN'T make all Android Apps Compatible as that don't have the RIGHTS to use Google Play officially - and never will. If you want full Android compatibility, you need an OFFICIAL and APPROVED Android Device (or the ability to unofficially do some "hacks" - that might last a few weeks or few months before they are blocked)

Too be honest I don't know of a solution for BlackBerries problems with the smartphone business at this point in time. The launch of BB10 was their best shot, and they missed. Without some new technology or superior user experience.... they are going to continue the slow decent into irrelevance as I don't believe there is a big enough niche to support BlackBerry. Products outside of smartphones is there best hope now.
    01-23-15 10:13 AM
    Today at $10, we are happy that share price is $10
    Who is "we" ?
    01-26-15 01:27 PM
    Why everyone....

The shorts love that it's at $10, because it wouldn't take much paying for negative news to get to their target price.
    The longs love that it's at $10, because it gives them a chance to buy more for really cheap before everyone learns about the IoT.

The only ones that aren't happy are the ones that every year say it will be at $100 by the end of the year.... as another year just ended and it didn't make it.
    01-26-15 02:58 PM
    i c...

ok then !

Andy_bb_king likes this.
    01-26-15 03:26 PM
    Exactly, Chen needs to get out of the phone business or make a deal with Google.

Were did I make and argument for what BlackBerry should be doing.... I'm not fool enough to think that anyone at BlackBerry is reading these forums and using the info to run their company. Or that anything I say is even original. There were people here six and seven years ago that taught cross platform BBM was a good idea. Many made some very detailed post on why there was a need for replacement of the Java Based BBOS in order to keep up with iOS and Android. Back then many taught that BlackBerry needed to do more to build and incorporate the big social media apps into the OS (then it was BBOS).

How would BlackBerry enter the Chinese Market? The don't have a product that sells very well in any other market, so why would it sell there where you can buy a $50 smartphone in a vending machine? The days that people could buy a BlackBerry smartphone and felt that they were safe from the government's prying eyes are over..... they would be more secure using a $50 phone with WhatsApp.

Make all Android Apps Compatible - yeah there were a number of people here that said building their own OS and thus own Platform from scratch using QNX was a bad idea. And there are some that think that dropping BB10 and going full Android was and is the best option. Because BlackBerry CAN'T make all Android Apps Compatible as that don't have the RIGHTS to use Google Play officially - and never will. If you want full Android compatibility, you need an OFFICIAL and APPROVED Android Device (or the ability to unofficially do some "hacks" - that might last a few weeks or few months before they are blocked)

Too be honest I don't know of a solution for BlackBerries problems with the smartphone business at this point in time. The launch of BB10 was their best shot, and they missed. Without some new technology or superior user experience.... they are going to continue the slow decent into irrelevance as I don't believe there is a big enough niche to support BlackBerry. Products outside of smartphones is there best hope now.
    01-27-15 05:02 PM
    Chen needs to make deals with a number of companies, if he thinks he can do it alone and has that arrogance like Jim, Mike and Thor, he is being stupid.

01-27-15 05:05 PM
    Just Divest hardware, this end to end is a BAD idea.
    01-27-15 05:06 PM
    Your getting sleepy...very very sleepy.

Classically Posted.
    01-27-15 05:07 PM
    What about starting with something simple: Spin-off BBM with backing from Silicon Valley VCs/financiers

Exactly, Chen needs to get out of the phone business or make a deal with Google.
    01-27-15 05:08 PM
    Just Divest hardware, this end to end is a BAD idea.
    Why? They have opened up to compatibility with other platforms. As long as some profit can be made in hardware why shouldn't they continue to offer it? Sure it takes away time and resources from the company, but consider the impact of trying to be the leader in mobility management but failing at providing mobile devices.

If BlackBerry can continue to make hardware at a small profit, it is better to serve a loyal niche, while accommodating the broader market in their bigger picture strategy. As we saw with the iphone it only takes one runaway success to create a huge following. I'm not saying anyone should bank on BlackBerry creating a runaway success, but the possibility exists as long as they are still a player, and trying to innovate and create products that serve a purpose, rather than just being another "also ran" in the consumer space.

Personally, I'd rather support and even invest in a company that is dedicated to serving it's customers, as opposed to one that will only pursue opportunities with a high ROE. Shareholder happiness is one thing, but creating a following of fiercely loyal customers by meeting their needs when nobody else will, is a whole other powerful force.

BB for Life
    01-27-15 05:17 PM
    Another example is to have some rumours of an OS release on a particular day...say Jan 27th...and then have everyone and their uncle staying up all night waiting for the update to show.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    01-27-15 05:33 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Another example is to have some rumours of an OS release on a particular day...say Jan 27th...and then have everyone and their uncle staying up all night waiting for the update to show.

Do you believe every rumor you hear? Or do you just WANT to believe some and not others? Well, thought I heard sometime in February....

Oh someone just reported the stock market will have the correction of the century... hmmm what to do??? (laughing)

Lots of arm chair quarterbacks posting who have never run a company...

I have confidence CEO Chen is the best quarterback we could have... let him run with it and be patient....

Long BlackBerry.

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 06:05 PM
    Oh I don't. I've just been going through the forums and reading posts for the last couple of weeks.

I'm holding Classic in my hands. I'm not waiting for 10.3.1.

01-27-15 07:16 PM
    What about starting with something simple: Spin-off BBM with backing from Silicon Valley VCs/financiers
    Because it isn't so simple a thing....

BBM is baked into the BB10 OS - what type of licensing would have to be setup to allow this version of BBM?
    Who would develop the BBM version for the BlackBerry OS, and how would that affect software R&D?
    BBM uses the BlackBerry NOC to work - what type of licensing cost would be involved for access and bandwidth?

And most importantly what is BBM worth...
    Yes they have reported almost 100 Million users. But how active are those users? In what market are those users located? In other words how valuable are they as users - because to financiers, all users are not equal.
    Is BBM a self supporting division right now.... how much revenue does Channels bring in, how much revenue does Stickers bring in.

Just because IM "W" is worth so much.. doesn't mean that anyone would view IM "B" as also being valuable.
    01-28-15 07:45 AM
    Oh I don't. I've just been going through the forums and reading posts for the last couple of weeks.

I'm holding Classic in my hands. I'm not waiting for 10.3.1.

Yes, you got it already. Right in your hand... :-)

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    02-05-15 02:04 AM