Phone thefts have increased and this specific line brought a smile on my face :

"For stolen phones to have no resale value on the black market, the vast majority of consumers must have the theft-deterrent feature pre-enabled on their phones,"

Blackberry has made the economic value of a stolen phone 0 by disabling the lost or stolen phones. In other words, no thief would steal a BBRY with intention of selling in black market because there is no value . Oddly from the comments, not many seem aware of this !

Phone thefts soar as kill-switch debate heats up
    UnlimitedEra and goku_vegeta like this.
    04-18-14 04:47 PM
    There is ignorance all over.
    Thanks for the article.
    mzceetee likes this.
    04-18-14 04:59 PM
    What does Blackberry do to make the economic value of a stolen phone 0? How does that work?

Phone thefts have increased and this specific line brought a smile on my face :

Blackberry has made the economic value of a stolen phone 0 by disabling the lost or stolen phones. In other words, no thief would steal a BBRY with intention of selling in black market because there is no value . Oddly from the comments, not many seem aware of this !

Phone thefts soar as kill-switch debate heats up
    04-18-14 05:46 PM
    Gee.... maybe if eBay would NOT allow bad IEMI phone sales, the theft problem would thin out immensely... just a naive thought... but then eBay wouldn't be making those additional profits from sales of stolen merchandise...
    04-19-14 04:35 PM
    Gee.... maybe if eBay would NOT allow bad IEMI phone sales, the theft problem would thin out immensely... just a naive thought... but then eBay wouldn't be making those additional profits from sales of stolen merchandise...
    I think a lot of phones go overseas. The average snatch and run guy isn't selling his loot through ebay every week. He hands it off to a fence. The fence sends the phone overseas.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 03:59 PM
    What's sad is this doesn't stop people from finding someone foolish enough to buy a stolen BlackBerry device. Still see threads where someone buys a new device and it is blocked because of it being reported stolen. (or maybe they stole a BlackBerry and expect CrackBerry to know how to unblock it...) Either way if you left an iPhone and a BlackBerry sitting on a table, a thief will take both. He may throw the BlackBerry away, but he'll still take it just because he can.
    04-21-14 09:17 AM
    There is ignorance all over.
    Thanks for the article.
    Or it could be because there are way less Blackberry devices in use in the USA. <1%?
    That could also be part of this.
    04-21-14 09:33 AM
    [QUggebhardt;10267968]Or it could be because there are way less Blackberry devices in use in the USA. <1%?
    That could also be part of this.[/QUOTE]

I suspect there are still a bit more than 1% users in the us.....I'd take a guess at 3-5% but dropping rapidly. Of course that includes legacy... Which probably is essentially worthless on the black market in north America. Bb10 would almost certainly be less than 1%.
    04-23-14 09:52 PM
    Sorry but I can not see the average thief who is about to steal a phone say Oh gosh that is a Blackberry phone, I better not steal that as it has security that makes it useless!

Few people would also let this "feature" influence them to the point to buy a Blackberry.
    04-28-14 06:21 AM