Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaydee5799
  • 1 Post By greggebhardt
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Had a chuckle when I read this on CNBC

Phone thefts have increased and this specific line brought a smile on my face :

"For stolen phones to have no resale value on the black market, the vast majority of consumers must have the theft-deterrent feature pre-enabled on their phones,"

Blackberry has made the economic value of a stolen phone 0 by disabling the lost or stolen phones. In other words, no thief would steal a BBRY with intention of selling in black market because there is no value . Oddly from the comments, not many seem aware of this !

Phone thefts soar as kill-switch debate heats up
    Thanked by 2:
    goku_vegeta (04-23-2014),  UnlimitedEra (04-18-2014) 

Global Posts
    69,403 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

There is ignorance all over.
    Thanks for the article.
    HTTR FOREVER I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.1154 on VZW
    How to Load an OS Using Autoloader|Backup and Restore Using BB Link
    How to Sideload Android Apps to Your BB10 device|How To Upgrade Your OS with Sachesi
    mzceetee likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

What does Blackberry do to make the economic value of a stolen phone 0? How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by samirkatti View Post
    Phone thefts have increased and this specific line brought a smile on my face :

Blackberry has made the economic value of a stolen phone 0 by disabling the lost or stolen phones. In other words, no thief would steal a BBRY with intention of selling in black market because there is no value . Oddly from the comments, not many seem aware of this !

Phone thefts soar as kill-switch debate heats up
    CrackBerry Abuser

Gee.... maybe if eBay would NOT allow bad IEMI phone sales, the theft problem would thin out immensely... just a naive thought... but then eBay wouldn't be making those additional profits from sales of stolen merchandise...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    448 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Pirate View Post
    Gee.... maybe if eBay would NOT allow bad IEMI phone sales, the theft problem would thin out immensely... just a naive thought... but then eBay wouldn't be making those additional profits from sales of stolen merchandise...
    I think a lot of phones go overseas. The average snatch and run guy isn't selling his loot through ebay every week. He hands it off to a fence. The fence sends the phone overseas.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,276 Global Posts

What's sad is this doesn't stop people from finding someone foolish enough to buy a stolen BlackBerry device. Still see threads where someone buys a new device and it is blocked because of it being reported stolen. (or maybe they stole a BlackBerry and expect CrackBerry to know how to unblock it...) Either way if you left an iPhone and a BlackBerry sitting on a table, a thief will take both. He may throw the BlackBerry away, but he'll still take it just because he can.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee5799 View Post
    There is ignorance all over.
    Thanks for the article.
    Or it could be because there are way less Blackberry devices in use in the USA. <1%?
    That could also be part of this.
    scalemaster34 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts

[QUggebhardt;10267968]Or it could be because there are way less Blackberry devices in use in the USA. <1%?
    That could also be part of this.[/QUOTE]

I suspect there are still a bit more than 1% users in the us.....I'd take a guess at 3-5% but dropping rapidly. Of course that includes legacy... Which probably is essentially worthless on the black market in north America. Bb10 would almost certainly be less than 1%.
    Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Sorry but I can not see the average thief who is about to steal a phone say Oh gosh that is a Blackberry phone, I better not steal that as it has security that makes it useless!

Few people would also let this "feature" influence them to the point to buy a Blackberry.