If bbry made routers maybe they'd be secure.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 10:50 PM
    Agree for a tech company to grow, they have to provide product that meet or exceed what other companies are doing. That takes a lot of R&D, something that BB is being totally outclassed on. Doesn't mean they can't have some genius working for them that does something no one else thinks of.... but it is much more likely that you only get out what you put into R&D and software development.

R&D
    Developer Relations
    Quality Control
    Marketing
    Production

These have all seen huge cuts, which in the end hurt the company's ability to compete at a certain level. Of course a company working to only supple the needs of a small enterprise niche won't need to worry as much about these departments....
    As much as you'd like to group entire enterprise CapEx into R&D for your argument...it just doesn't work that way.
    Please have a look here:
    http://jdem.cz/braj25

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    12-10-14 11:08 PM
    As much as you'd like to group entire enterprise CapEx into R&D for your argument...it just doesn't work that way.
    Please have a look here:
    BlackBerry's R&D spending ranked it second in Canada during 2012 and 2013

Passport'n stuff all day long.

A little more up to date info on R&D spending.... BlackBerry Research and Development Expense (Quarterly) (BBRY)

But I'm not sure what your argument is... I'm saying that as revenues fall, so does the ax. They'll have to cut more somewhere - maybe they move into smaller buildings and cut their lease payments, maybe the stop providing free pop corn in in the breakroom and maybe it's some of the other items I listed before. As revenues fall, spending has to match the decreases. Unless you believe it's only a short term setback - but then you have to deal with the fallout of negative revenues and what they might mean for the stock and the company's ability to convince enterprise customers that they are a stable company.

As for R&D... based on the chart above their R&D has fallen drastically under Chen and his (needed) cost cutting measures. And out of the $154 Million on R&D last quarter, how much was targeted at IoT, Medical Systems, QNX, BBM, BES, BB10, Doc to Go.... some of these they can't afford to make cuts in anymore. I imagine that smartphone hardware is getting very little attention at BlackBerry right now...
    01-06-15 10:05 AM
28 12