Kevin,

I recall after the PlayBook launch you did a guesstimate of units sold based on CrackBerry app downloads, and you ended up being pretty accurate.

Do you have any stats to share now regarding the BB10 units sold, based on BB10 app downloads, accessory sales and other stats? BlackBerry's silence is creating a vacuum for the stock's short-sellers to attack, which creates a risk of a self-fulfilling prophesy when the launch happens in the US.

Not that you can completely reverse the tide - but a statement from you will at least give some of us a peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.
    SwissCuban likes this.
    02-21-13 10:33 AM
    1, 218,321 units sold so far.

Ok, I just made that number up. Not sure yet. All of my indicators have been EXTREMELY positive so far - web traffic, store sales, forum action, etc.

Will give it some more thought and see if I can draw a good estimate. There are a few big things to take into account that I don't have a solid feeling for just yet.

Heads down on CrackBerry Re-Launch right now too, so not much free time. But will give it some thought.

K
    02-21-13 10:42 AM
    Have a read of this link Major U.K. Outlets Hike BlackBerry Z10 Price Above iPhone5, Black Market Thriving - Seeking Alpha

I have read rumors that Heins might comment to refute the latest rumors on shipments but also read the rumor that the SEC have stopped BBRY from commenting for the moment. I have not research either as yet. My own checks in the UK dispute the low channel checks also.
    Clinto and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-21-13 10:42 AM
    Have a read of this link Major U.K. Outlets Hike BlackBerry Z10 Price Above iPhone5, Black Market Thriving - Seeking Alpha

I have read rumors that Heins might comment to refute the latest rumors on shipments but also read the rumor that the SEC have stopped BBRY from commenting for the moment. I have not research either as yet. My own checks in the UK dispute the low channel checks also.
    What was your source for Thorsten's intention and SEC's block?
    kfh227 and bert106 like this.
    02-21-13 10:44 AM

Please note that part on the top of that Seeking Alpha article: "Note I am long BBRY". Then goes on to give his opinion. Do you ever expect anyone to say something against their own personal benefit?

The SEC would never stop BBRY from announcing actual numbers, the truth is always allowed and in the best interests of investors.
    02-21-13 10:48 AM
    Man you read financial news and bb10 is a flop. I tend to think they are full of **it, but I don't know what to believe any more. I would have like to try it out, but living in the US doesn't lend to that. I think the big money is on the short. My own investigation, consisting of snooping around the Internet for z10 for sale, reveals them going for 800 - 1000. Good sign so we will see.
    r4wb likes this.
    02-21-13 10:56 AM
    I am aware of his position but I included it because it was similar to the checks I had done with my store manager friends in the UK.

The SEC rumor did not make sense to me as I could not think of any reason they would stop them from commenting, hence I stated it was a rumor only.

The source of the rumors were commentators on blogs and Twitter but as always I give any credence to those without doing my own research to confirm.
    02-21-13 10:57 AM
    Man you read financial news and bb10 is a flop. I tend to think they are full of **it, but I don't know what to believe any more. I would have like to try it out, but living in the US doesn't lend to that. I think the big money is on the short.
    Its all speculation until BBRY officially announce sales numbers, which I dont foresee until the earnings call on Mar 28th
    02-21-13 11:00 AM
    Its all speculation until BBRY officially announce sales numbers, which I dont foresee until the earnings call on Mar 28th
    Agreed. That is also when bb is launching in the US. Should be interesting.
    02-21-13 11:05 AM
    Remember, BlackBerry doesn't gives sales numbers anymore. They only give numbers shipped which is much more vague.
    02-21-13 11:50 AM
    They do give sell thru numbers on the call generally. Just not in the report
    02-21-13 12:00 PM
    Remember, BlackBerry doesn't gives sales numbers anymore. They only give numbers shipped which is much more vague.
    I have asked this before and did not get answer so trying again..Does anyone know that is it # of units shipped to carriers counted as "sold" in earning as part of receivable or # of units purchased by customers ?
    02-21-13 12:05 PM
    Last quarter they still gave both units shipped and units sold.
    02-21-13 12:13 PM
    I have asked this before and did not get answer so trying again..Does anyone know that is it # of units shipped to carriers counted as "sold" in earning as part of receivable or # of units purchased by customers ?
    BBRY recognizes units shipped to retailers as revenue, which is in accordance to GAAP. But they usually also provide a sell-through number in the conference call.
    02-21-13 12:14 PM
    BBRY recognizes units shipped to retailers as revenue, which is in accordance to GAAP. But they usually also provide a sell-through number in the conference call.
    In that case BB probably shipped from 1-2 millions units to carriers across the globe which will show in the next ER report. Started BB producion in December and then it upped the producion from 500k month to 1-1.5 mil. It will start shipping to US after Feb 28 so it can nail the next quarter.
    02-21-13 12:45 PM
    In that case BB probably shipped from 1-2 millions units to carriers across the globe which will show in the next ER report. Started BB producion in December and then it upped the producion from 500k month to 1-1.5 mil. It will start shipping to US after Feb 28 so it can nail the next quarter.
    That's not out of line based on my estimates... Carriers typically keep a few weeks of inventory, so whatever you think they sold in 1 month, multiply by 2 for shipped.
    02-21-13 01:14 PM
    Wow. This thread was rather positive. I thought it was going to be at least a little negative to the least. Good job op.

CrackBerry Kevin - How Many Z10s Sold?-30403635.jpg
    02-21-13 01:35 PM
    if RIMM BB shipped 2 million and only sold 500k that isnt going to look good when they are claiming sellouts in many places. Just saying
    02-21-13 01:42 PM
    if RIMM BB shipped 2 million and only sold 500k that isnt going to look good when they are claiming sellouts in many places. Just saying
    They only claimed sell-outs during the first few days. Inventory has been mostly replenished, just like any decently managed supply chain would. We still hear isolated cases of sell-outs but not as widespread as the beginning.

So 500M sell-through and 1M shipped is reasonable, given that carriers have to stock up on inventory. Your scenario of 500M sold and 2M shipped is also possible if they start shipping in large quantity to US carriers' warehouse ahead of official availability to consumers.
    02-21-13 01:48 PM
    true, i just have a feeling that 1 of 2 things are happening:

1. They are controlling the amount of units in the channel very closely so they dont have many excess floating around

2. They dont have as many as we think and there are actual shortages.
    02-21-13 01:52 PM
    Moved to the BBRY sub forum of News & Rumors! (plus I adjusted the title a little)
    02-21-13 01:57 PM
    true, i just have a feeling that 1 of 2 things are happening:

1. They are controlling the amount of units in the channel very closely so they dont have many excess floating around

2. They dont have as many as we think and there are actual shortages.
    I think #1 is very likely, and they are smart to do that.

But their units sold won't be impressive because they have not launched yet in many major markets including US and most of SE Asia. And you know if they report actual numbers now, the media will not put it in perspective - they will compare it to Apple headlines and spin it negatively regardless.

But proportionately speaking, they should be doing well. I think they are the 4th best selling smartphone on Carwarehouse website in UK, ahead of iPhone 5? That's pretty good, and somebody who knows Apple's number can do the math and come up with a ballpark figure.
    02-21-13 02:04 PM
    wouldn't RIMM be replaced with BBRY and RIM with BB?
    02-21-13 02:43 PM
    perhaps they shipped x-million and claimed sell-outs because....they sold out.
    pkcable, Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    02-21-13 03:21 PM
    Kevin, can you at least give us some comfort by saying Canaccord and those guys are completely out of whack?
    02-21-13 08:54 PM
84 123 ...