On what is one of the most pivotal days in Blackberry's history, does anyone else get a feeling that things in the US are not going like the rest of the world ? We haven't heard of any line-ups or frenzied buyers. No big ad campaigns or special releases to help move sales along ?

Is it because there's only one carrier and the rest of the pack hasn't kicked-in yet ? And just to turn the temperature down even more, a big sell- off at the end of the day, erasing all the gains made over the past few days. Does the market know something we don't ?

.....or am I just paranoid and it's too early to really gage the market reaction.

Anyone else thinking the same ?
    03-22-13 05:28 PM
    Yah, it's scary. The only visible reaction was the stock.
    I was sad after reading all the posts talking about the poor state of the retailers.
    03-22-13 05:37 PM
    Sure seems that way. Sounds like AT&T could care less.
    03-22-13 05:39 PM
    Hi, not to worry (IMO)...the states will be fighting tooth and nail to kill the hype...they placed their bets long ago and have more than the value of all available shares riding on it. It's a marathon and the states are but 370 Million in a world of 8 billion. It took them 7 years to purchase last year’s sales volume of Apple and 5 years to record Androids sales volumes too.

End game is BB10 is new, it works great and it's going to have a LARGE following in a few years.

Hope this helps.
    03-22-13 05:39 PM
    USA will be the slowest country to adopt BB10, as there are way too many well documented obstacles (bias, lazy media, people who LOVE lazy media, etc) in its way. Sadly, one of these obstacles may be BBRY itself. It will be a grind in the USA for a year or two before anybody can declare success or failure. I enjoy my Z10, but its not a grand slam like would be needed to change things quickly in the US.
    03-22-13 05:42 PM
    To be honest you heard news of the Canadian launch being slow also so who knows.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 06:31 PM
    To be honest you heard news of the Canadian launch being slow also so who knows.

Posted via CB10
    While I may have read a report of two of that in the media - I also read of contrasting stories here of lines, including some nice pictures of the lines. Heard of stores who sold out and weren't sure when more were coming.

You see any of that here today?
    03-22-13 06:36 PM
    Tell you the truth.... I feel sorry for then down there. I think their missing out on a great product. The rest of the world knows it.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    03-22-13 06:38 PM
    Little worried about the States for sure. Such negativity from the media down there. I guess time will tell?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 06:45 PM
    Not many people know about the z10 here in the states. Though BBRY has done a lot of things right so far with bb10 and the z10. I'd like to think that they will figure out the ad campaign and the product will sell itself just because it is a superior to the alternatives, but it will take time. So here's to a promising future of BB10!
    Shanerredflag and kbz1960 like this.
    03-22-13 06:45 PM
    Don't be surprised if BlackBerry makes an announcement late next week that they had their best launch in History. Don't get me wrong this is not they crazy Apple launches, it is BlackBerry. They built that company slow and steady...the Canadian way. As mentioned above it is an entirely new platform it will take some time for the droves to come back. Think how long it took some of your friends to go to Iphone or Android, he'll my wife just switched in December. She will be back to BlackBerry after the droves have switched.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 06:49 PM
    Well this American (and BBRY shareholder) has pre-ordered the moment Verizon went live that morning, has been glued to CrackBerry for 8 months (been a member before then), has kept my social circle informed, has been emailing/tweeting as much as I can. So please don't feel as if the entire whacked up USA is smoking the apple leaves in the google pipe... there are some of us who respect nice things in life and also love you guys up there. Actually my first time visiting Canada was this past September, all the way from Southern Alabama...
    Last edited by Camelhmpz; 03-22-13 at 08:12 PM.
    03-22-13 06:49 PM
    Well this American (and BBRY shareholder) has pre-ordered the moment Verizon went live that morning, has been glued to CrackBerry for 8 months (been a member before then), has kept my social circle informed, has been emailing/tweeting as much as I can. So please don't feel as if they entire whacked up USA is smoking the apple leaves in the google pipe... there are some of us who respect nice things in life and also love you guys up there. Actually my first time visiting Canada was this past September, all the way from Southern Alabama...
    I second that
    kbz1960, peter9477, xBURK and 2 others like this.
    03-22-13 07:00 PM
    Don't be surprised if BlackBerry makes an announcement late next week that they had their best launch in History. Don't get me wrong this is not they crazy Apple launches, it is BlackBerry. They built that company slow and steady...the Canadian way. As mentioned above it is an entirely new platform it will take some time for the droves to come back. Think how long it took some of your friends to go to Iphone or Android, he'll my wife just switched in December. She will be back to BlackBerry after the droves have switched.

Posted via CB10
    Third
    xBURK, peter9477, Eric Au and 1 others like this.
    03-22-13 07:15 PM
    Well this American (and BBRY shareholder) has pre-ordered the moment Verizon went live that morning, has been glued to CrackBerry for 8 months (been a member before then), has kept my social circle informed, has been emailing/tweeting as much as I can. So please don't feel as if they entire whacked up USA is smoking the apple leaves in the google pipe... there are some of us who respect nice things in life and also love you guys up there. Actually my first time visiting Canada was this past September, all the way from Southern Alabama...
    As a Canadian who would generally smoke anything, can't say I've ever Shmoked any Apple Leaves...is that something I should try?

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 07:48 PM
    No, I strongly suggest no one try smoking apple leaves... Apparently it kills the majority of your brain cells instantly and replaces your ability to "keep moving" with a "home button"
    Eric Au, Umedon, nquyen and 5 others like this.
    03-22-13 07:59 PM
    Expectations need to be realistic for the US. Remember, this is a place where BlackBerry had less than a 1% share of new sales recently.

AT&T sells about 30 million smartphones per year for its network. That's about 80,000 per day. They have 6,000 or so stores, plus there are other outlets like Best Buy which sells phones for the AT&T network.

So there are maybe 10 smartphones per day sold at the average AT&T store. Even if BlackBerry sells only one Z10 per store on launch day, that's a 10% share of smartphones sold, and over 10x what BlackBerry typically sells in a day. If the rate declines to one Z10 every two or three days later, BlackBerry has increased its sales to 3-4x what it was doing before, and probably its highest rate in a year. The recovery in the US is going to take some time. Can't really expect a 50x increase in sales overnight.

Certainly there are issues with the in-store marketing and sales staff at some stores, but I guess it's hard to get sales staff and carriers as excited initially when you are coming back from a 1% share.
    03-22-13 08:23 PM
    I think this launch (if we can call it like that) is a fiasco, there has been no advertisement nor support for blackberry neither in AT&T nor Best Buy, so i guess we'll have to wait until all carriers are selling it, that's when we'll start seeing any movement about the Z10.
    03-22-13 09:18 PM
    I think this launch (if we can call it like that) is a fiasco, there has been no advertisement nor support for blackberry neither in AT&T nor Best Buy, so i guess we'll have to wait until all carriers are selling it, that's when we'll start seeing any movement about the Z10.
    I was one of the many who complained too regarding the UK launch, haven't seen any ads to date, haven't seen anyone else with a z10, the stores were unaware, some had posters, some had stands, others had dummy units some had actual demo units with no battery.

With all the above said though, the phone has done well in the UK apparently, so I guess we should sit back and wait til we hear the hard numbers, and if they are low, I shall go insane in the membrane.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 09:25 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    the Z10 is awesome .. those who check it out .. will see so .. and THEY will be the best marketing for Blackberry .. word of mouth . not CNBC "anaylsts" with hidden agendas ….. its just the beginning .. Verizon and Tmobile launches next week!!!!
    03-22-13 10:58 PM
    This Crackberry world can stress me out lol. So much negativity. Maybe the U.S should not be the focus for BlackBerry ( it seems BlackBerry is not welcome) regardless what the media thinks. If I were BlackBerry, I would be working on the Chinese, Latin, India market. Huge potential. We all know this product is special, it just may take the U.S years to realize it. Until then, hello to countries that have over a billion citizens.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by stots; 03-22-13 at 11:17 PM.
    03-22-13 11:05 PM
    Honestly, for the z10 to spread like wildfire in a country like the united states, it would have had to perform sexual favors. Americans are incredibly ignorant in general and naturally resist change. It's going to take some time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    03-23-13 03:22 AM
    Not all trends start in the US. I learned to text when I moved back to the UK from California in 2002. People in America were annoyed by my weird 'texting' habit and generally didn't know what it was. Same for Skype in 2003, Europeans and others led the charge, US people did not as local calling is so cheap.

Both of those became staples of American mobile experience.
    fedakd likes this.
    03-23-13 05:13 AM
    chilly it is, but no one said it was going to be easy,PREM W has said it wld take 3 to 5 years to come back for bb.we're on our way and i think he said that last year, so hang in there,hold yr head up high and show off yr bb with pride, relax everbody we're in good hands.
    Shanerredflag and Carjackd like this.
    03-23-13 05:36 AM
    I fully agree, it's a marathon and not a sprint.

So far, Blackberry has had a fairly tight marketing plan and has executed very well. I'm not seeing the same coordinated activities and media blitz's we've seen in other countries. I simply can't believe they don't have a plan with this, the bellwether market Wall Street will always use to judge success or failure.

Putting your name on the side of an F1 car means nothing in the US because........ it just ain't NASCAR !!

So, where's the marketing team ??

P.S. - I'm wondering if they're taking the "quiet" approach so as not to provoke the giant fruit monster.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    03-23-13 09:34 AM