12-11-14 07:41 PM
    Wow, so there are nearly as many Passports out there in less than two months vs a whole year for the Z30... 5.4 vs 8.2 %

:-)

Looks like the Z10 will need to be supported for a while longer. Huge install base. Need to find more ways to monetize and give current users more value... (sell something like additional services, software/apps, etc. to increase value and productivity)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-12-14 06:29 AM
    More interesting than the seeking Alpha "story". Was the link to Ebscer where he got his data from, they had a newer article BBOS users don?t appear eager to update | Ebscer News. While I wouldn't call the date totally scientific or a complete picture as it was taken from information gleaned by one App developer (Pixelated). The interesting part was that still over half of BBOS users are running a version of BBOS that is below BBOS7.

I have to wonder if it might not be in fact more than half. As Pixelated is a game, and many enterprise customers are not going to allow the installation of such a app... these number could be skewed one way, or the other. But as the sighting of a BlackBerry in the wild is pretty rare in my area I do tend to try and see what kind of device it is. Here it is usually a device that is carried by DoD personal, and last time I was in a meeting.... there were a number of 9650 and even a few older curves.

So in my mind there is a LOT of potential out there for the need to upgrade!
    12-12-14 11:15 AM
    All the data and projections presented by Blair in that SA post is overly optimistic and destined for disappointment, come December 19th earnings release. I for certainly wouldn't hold my breath.

My take:

BlackBerry will beat or at least match estimates and break even with small profit. Cash burn will be nil. Inventory position is hugely improved. Number of devices shipped/revenue recognised will match devices sold to end customers. Passport sales for the quarter will be around 300k-350k. Total devices shipped will be around 2.5million (BB10&BB7)

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 12:10 PM
    Wow, so there are nearly as many Passports out there in less than two months vs a whole year for the Z30... 5.4 vs 8.2 %

:-)

Looks like the Z10 will need to be supported for a while longer. Huge install base. Need to find more ways to monetize and give current users more value... (sell something like additional services, software/apps, etc. to increase value and productivity)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    People forget that the Z30 was released as BlackBerry was about to be sold off. They didn't produce many but there's a reason for that.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 12:18 PM
    All the data and projections presented by Blair in that SA post is overly optimistic and destined for disappointment, come December 19th earnings release. I for certainly wouldn't hold my breath.

My take:

BlackBerry will beat or at least match estimates and break even with small profit. Cash burn will be nil. Inventory position is hugely improved. Number of devices shipped/revenue recognised will match devices sold to end customers. Passport sales for the quarter will be around 300k-350k. Total devices shipped will be around 2.5million (BB10&BB7)

Posted via CB10
    Not sure why you considered your perspective that much different than those in the SA article. Both predict a small profit although by different means. I think the passport numbers in the SA article are rosy at 800K but I suspect they will be over 400k when one considers the November sale.

I do think there is a real opportunity for BlackBerry on the hardware side. There is simply no doubt that the number of blackberries has increased in my area particularly with the under 25 crowd. Mainly Z30s. I suspect price had a lot to do with it. What I don't see are iPhone6s. It seems to me that there is a real market for moderately priced slab phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 09:42 AM
    I generally agree with the basics of the discussions here.

Break even or small profit, inventory improvement, marginally higher sales and net cash higher.

However, the BES, BBM and BB10 take-up numbers will foretell the future and I'm hoping for some good news on this front.
    12-14-14 11:45 AM
    I generally agree with the basics of the discussions here.

Break even or small profit, inventory improvement, marginally higher sales and net cash higher.

However, the BES, BBM and BB10 take-up numbers will foretell the future and I'm hoping for some good news on this front.
    Not sure about the cash portion... with the Classic having gone into production, but sales being limited to preorders. I would assume there would have been a pretty large outlay of Cash to get production rolling. Not sure how the deal with Foxconn worked - who makes the deals and pays for parts, but either way I would imagine some money had to go "out" to get the ball rolling. Plus they would also have to do some promotional work for the Classic's lauch and it will be a much more mainstream device than the Passport was. Displays, Carrier Training, things that most OEM's do, but that BlackBerry has gotten out of the habit of doing.
    12-15-14 02:21 PM