After the update to 10.2.1, I started getting a 2-second warning "HTML is disabled by IT policy" when I try to reply to an email and converts the body into raw text. I'm not the only one experiencing this - but I'll tell you this - it happened largely to people who use Google Apps emails. I myself use a personal Google Apps account so I assure you 100% there is absolutely no IT policy.

Anyway, this thread is not about the problem it self, but how I tried to fix it. Yup, I tried the age-old "Contact your mobile carrier, and they'll connect you to BlackBerry Support". Did that. I ended up on BlackBerry support. I spent two hours with this lady who not only had an accent, albeit nice, but had no knowledge of BlackBerry or the family of famed Technology it belonged to.

I had to explain what an HTML email was. She kept repeating everything back to me verbatim. And during the repeating process she came back and said "So, you're not able to send the email, correct?" - this after me repeating twice to her how this little warning comes, changes the email I'm replying to into text, warning disappears and allows me to type a raw text email. So far from 'Tech Support'. I always envisioned an unspoken elite at BlackBerry Support wearing all black. How wrong this lady was proving me...

After much wrangling, she returns to me after trying to speak to Google (who assured her nothing is wrong on their side) and instructs me to remove and re-add the email as IMAP. This, I think, solved the problem.

Since I had her on the phone, I wanted to ask her what do I need to do to get these Google Apps emails delivered to me instantly like BIS used to allow. I said �Why is the push technology different this time around with BlackBerry 10?�. Her response? �I�m sorry, I don�t get you� - after a lot of exchange, I found that she didn�t know what �Push technology� is and eventually found that she refers to it as �Push email� and only as �Push email� and nothing else.

Now comes the answer part, with a ton of blabbering and throwing random words in the air. At least these are a few of what I gathered from her.

• �Sir, this is due to your network�
    • �Sir, delete everything, backup everything and then we test and see why this is happening�

At this point I lost it, and had to tell her how I�ve been around for 10 years, and how I�m a loyalist, etc and also that if her boss hears the call recording (provided he/she him/herself isn�t a dolt) would be very disappointed in her to constantly type in her knowledge base every word I am (the client) is uttering and blindly blabbering whatever the screen shows. I advised her if she doesn't know she needs to ask someone instead of tarnishing the BlackBerry name with her blind addiction to her screen.

Ladies and gentlemen, in short, this could be THE main reason why BlackBerry isn�t doing well. John Chen, fire this call centre - bring the jobs back home to Men in Black who know what BlackBerry is and delivers support in true evangelical fashion.
    milo53 likes this.
    02-11-14 02:06 PM
    I would advise backup, wipe and try again. Do NOT restore your data until you can verify it either works or causes the error. The try restoring and see if the error reappears. If it does then some of the data is causing the error, if not then all that much better.
    02-11-14 02:22 PM
    I have always had good experience with BlackBerry Support (1 STORM issue I don't remember, 2 PlayBook USB Ports, 1 Z10 Rebooting).... but support people are people and they have good and bad days. I imagine that there have also been a few cuts in the support area. Fewer users means fewer support people needed, so not the best work environment when your future is uncertain.

Sorry for your experience, but I think it is more of a unique case. Either way it is NOT the reason that BlackBerry is not doing well. Has much more to do with their lack of a stand-out product, lack of an ecosystem and lack of marketing.
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-11-14 02:23 PM
    Oh the glorious reality of outsourcing!

If it's already outsourced now, it's not likely to change all too soon. Outsourcing is done to cut expenses, and they're still in cut-expenses mode.

I hope maybe they only outsource overflow, meaning everyone local is on the line and they've passed X number of calls on hold. That is common enough too.
    02-11-14 02:24 PM
    Supports suck I know. Pretty much all support services are like this too unfortunately.
    02-11-14 02:31 PM
    Unfortunately all tech support has been on the decline. Apple has the best currently IMO because of the retail presence that you cannot outsource like a call center.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 04:25 PM
    Sounds like a typical tech support call to me. Ever have to call Dell? lol
    02-11-14 04:34 PM
    After the update to 10.2.1, I started getting a 2-second warning "HTML is disabled by IT policy" when I try to reply to an email and converts the body into raw text. I'm not the only one experiencing this - but I'll tell you this - it happened largely to people who use Google Apps emails. I myself use a personal Google Apps account so I assure you 100% there is absolutely no IT policy.

Anyway, this thread is not about the problem it self, but how I tried to fix it. Yup, I tried the age-old "Contact your mobile carrier, and they'll connect you to BlackBerry Support". Did that. I ended up on BlackBerry support. I spent two hours with this lady who not only had an accent, albeit nice, but had no knowledge of BlackBerry or the family of famed Technology it belonged to.

I had to explain what an HTML email was. She kept repeating everything back to me verbatim. And during the repeating process she came back and said "So, you're not able to send the email, correct?" - this after me repeating twice to her how this little warning comes, changes the email I'm replying to into text, warning disappears and allows me to type a raw text email. So far from 'Tech Support'. I always envisioned an unspoken elite at BlackBerry Support wearing all black. How wrong this lady was proving me...

After much wrangling, she returns to me after trying to speak to Google (who assured her nothing is wrong on their side) and instructs me to remove and re-add the email as IMAP. This, I think, solved the problem.

Since I had her on the phone, I wanted to ask her what do I need to do to get these Google Apps emails delivered to me instantly like BIS used to allow. I said �Why is the push technology different this time around with BlackBerry 10?�. Her response? �I�m sorry, I don�t get you� - after a lot of exchange, I found that she didn�t know what �Push technology� is and eventually found that she refers to it as �Push email� and only as �Push email� and nothing else.

Now comes the answer part, with a ton of blabbering and throwing random words in the air. At least these are a few of what I gathered from her.

• �Sir, this is due to your network�
    • �Sir, delete everything, backup everything and then we test and see why this is happening�

At this point I lost it, and had to tell her how I�ve been around for 10 years, and how I�m a loyalist, etc and also that if her boss hears the call recording (provided he/she him/herself isn�t a dolt) would be very disappointed in her to constantly type in her knowledge base every word I am (the client) is uttering and blindly blabbering whatever the screen shows. I advised her if she doesn't know she needs to ask someone instead of tarnishing the BlackBerry name with her blind addiction to her screen.

Ladies and gentlemen, in short, this could be THE main reason why BlackBerry isn�t doing well. John Chen, fire this call centre - bring the jobs back home to Men in Black who know what BlackBerry is and delivers support in true evangelical fashion.
    I know your frustration when trying to get hold of BlackBerry support.
    I have an unlocked Q10 so can't go through a carrier...

Why can't BlackBerry provide support like Apple do?
    02-11-14 04:36 PM

Apple's not always great either. I have bad two terrible experiences with Apple. One for my computer, where they took my bought SSD drive out and replaced it with a factory refurbished one DESPITE having specifically asked me if I wanted it left alone. Had to wait days for them to send my original back to me.

Another when my iPhone wasn't working and the rep asked my 10 different times if I got the code sent to my device which would allow him to help me further. Derp! I'm calling because my iPhone isn't working, of course I never got the code. I never did get help that day because he refused to help me even though there was other means of verification.

I'm not defending the BlackBerry support here, just saying Apple isn't always great either. Customer support for the tech industry is pretty terrible as a whole. As mentioned in my other comment, this sadly has become a 'typical' call for a lot of suppliers.
    02-11-14 04:39 PM
    Apple's not always great either. I have bad two terrible experiences with Apple. One for my computer, where they took my bought SSD drive out and replaced it with a factory refurbished one DESPITE having specifically asked me if I wanted it left alone. Had to wait days for them to send my original back to me.

Another when my iPhone wasn't working and the rep asked my 10 different times if I got the code sent to my device which would allow him to help me further. Derp! I'm calling because my iPhone isn't working, of course I never got the code. I never did get help that day because he refused to help me even though there was other means of verification.

I'm not defending the BlackBerry support here, just saying Apple isn't always great either. Customer support for the tech industry is pretty terrible as a whole. As mentioned in my other comment, this sadly has become a 'typical' call for a lot of suppliers.
    While I acknowledge Apple support isn't great, it's by far the best of the bunch for me.
    Never has a single issue with Apple Suport and haven't been passed from person to person. Yes, I pay through the nose for Apple Care and it just works.
    02-11-14 04:54 PM
    While I acknowledge Apple support isn't great, it's by far the best of the bunch for me.
    Never has a single issue with Apple Suport and haven't been passed from person to person. Yes, I pay through the nose for Apple Care and it just works.
    I'm not a huge Apple user so cannot comment - but every time I've had any need for Apple support - the rep knew what I was talking about and had a solution, and if he/she didn't - they'd find someone for it.

That's all I'm asking - don't frustrate a help-seeker further by giving the WRONG answers.
    02-11-14 05:01 PM
    I know your frustration when trying to get hold of BlackBerry support.
    I have an unlocked Q10 so can't go through a carrier...

Try calling the number: 1877-255-2377 and say you were transferred by your carrier's tech support. That's what happened to me, but I think the Bell rep didn't do an informed handoff - rather just transferred me straight to BlackBerry's tollfree number.

I told the BlackBerry support "ninja" that I was transferred, she took my information and proceeded to help.
    02-11-14 05:03 PM
    This I agree with wholeheartedly.

don't frustrate a help-seeker further by giving the WRONG answers.
    02-11-14 05:04 PM
    Try calling the number: 1877-255-2377 and say you were transferred by your carrier's tech support. That's what happened to me, but I think the Bell rep didn't do an informed handoff - rather just transferred me straight to BlackBerry's tollfree number.

I told the BlackBerry support "ninja" that I was transferred, she took my information and proceeded to help.
    I'm in the UK, when I call BlackBerry UK's 0800 number, they ask me to contact my carrier, who only provided me with a SIM.

I even called the Carphone Warehouse and they said to contact my carrier.

This is what I don't want, being passed from person to person.
    Devil likes this.
    02-11-14 05:06 PM
    It is Google's problem to me. Google's stuff always have something funny. Why do you need to get BlackBerry 's support? 10.2.1 works for most, why not just for you? Do a clean wipe and setup again. Everything will be solved within an hour. It is a waste of time of both yours and BlackBerry's.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-11-14 09:53 PM
    Sounds to me like you were still with your carriers support. If it was actually Blackberry Support and she was that ignorant about Blackberry that is very very bad.
    Did you confirm with her that she was actually employed by Blackberry.

Also next time you get a twit on any tech support, don't waste your time. Once you realize the person is incapable just ask to speak to a manager.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 and Devil like this.
    02-12-14 08:44 AM
    It is Google's problem to me. Google's stuff always have something funny. Why do you need to get BlackBerry 's support? 10.2.1 works for most, why not just for you? Do a clean wipe and setup again. Everything will be solved within an hour. It is a waste of time of both yours and BlackBerry's.

Posted via CB10
    Then tell me why it started happening after people started installing 10.2.1. Take a look at the link posted in the first post - that's a CB thread full of people who have the same issues - not just me.

More over, just because you think it's not BlackBerry's fault - I should not call BlackBerry? Let's not have support at all then and go back to the neanderthal stage of ye olde RIM.
    02-14-14 08:30 AM
    Sounds to me like you were still with your carriers support. If it was actually Blackberry Support and she was that ignorant about Blackberry that is very very bad.
    Did you confirm with her that she was actually employed by Blackberry.

Also next time you get a twit on any tech support, don't waste your time. Once you realize the person is incapable just ask to speak to a manager.

Posted via CB10
    Haha, I had that feeling and asked her multiple times - she was indeed BlackBerry. I'll tell you what sealed that answer for me - when I said I'm calling through Bell Canada (Canadian carrier) - she asked "Bill? Bill what sorry?". She also provided me the tollfree number that is all over the web as BlackBerry Support.

Also asked to speak to a manager, and she said "May I know why?". I said because I have had to repeat a million times and you're still not getting it.. which is when I proceeded to help her.
    02-14-14 08:33 AM