What does that mean 'requires that drivers for all hardware be written'? Does technology not move forward in that area too?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Have you ever looked at the lack of variety in the chipsets used by BlackBerry? That is a result of the cost for the drivers (and maybe of over estimation of their first batch of chips - not hard to think that 10 million should have been needed).

But yes technology does tend to move forward.... well most technology anyway. That said, have to wonder what Car manufactures are using for QNX?
    10-24-16 08:23 AM
    What does that mean 'requires that drivers for all hardware be written'? Does technology not move forward in that area too?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    It's like this - you have a new chipset - the sd821 - if you write android drivers, you know that it will be used in tens of millions if not hundreds of millions device across a number of years. Therefore your development costs will be split between millions of units and will shift to profitability quickly.

If you write a bb10 set of drivers, you are making them for one OEM who cannot sell more than a few hundred thousand devices and might make exit the hardware market at any point. The only way you'd agree to do it is get them to pay all the costs upfront AND profit on top. There is also the opportunity cost of tying up engineers who could be working on android drivers.

Chen says 'no', Qualcomm therefore says 'no'.
    11-22-16 12:22 PM
    It's like this - you have a new chipset - the sd821 - if you write android drivers, you know that it will be used in tens of millions if not hundreds of millions device across a number of years. Therefore your development costs will be split between millions of units and will shift to profitability quickly.

If you write a bb10 set of drivers, you are making them for one OEM who cannot sell more than a few hundred thousand devices and might make exit the hardware market at any point. The only way you'd agree to do it is get them to pay all the costs upfront AND profit on top. There is also the opportunity cost of tying up engineers who could be working on android drivers.

Chen says 'no', Qualcomm therefore says 'no'.
    Like. In lieu of an actual like which is still broken for me.
    cgk likes this.
    11-22-16 02:40 PM
    But yes technology does tend to move forward.... well most technology anyway. That said, have to wonder what Car manufactures are using for QNX?
    I would think the companies that make chipsets for cars are more than willing to work with BB on making QNX drivers. QNX has enough marketshare in cars that this becomes viable, or even necessary when making new chipsets for cars.
    11-22-16 04:51 PM
    I would think the companies that make chipsets for cars are more than willing to work with BB on making QNX drivers. QNX has enough marketshare in cars that this becomes viable, or even necessary when making new chipsets for cars.
    But what processors are those?

Back when BlackBerry bought QNX, it was "famed" for running on very simple hardware. While I'm sure that hardware is much more advance these days, especially with a cars infotainment system basically doing most everything that a smartphone does and the move to adding so many sensors and systems to control..... But it probably more along the lines of a desktop hardware set than a smartphone hardware set. I know I read an article on one manufacture and they were working with Nvidia and AMD
    11-23-16 07:46 AM
    the QNX architecture requires that drivers for all the hardware be written. Qualcomm, who wrote these drivers for their processor back when bb10 was created, refused to write them again for the newer processors for the money BB could spend. Chen said it was way to expensive to pursue. So that is a huge reason why bb10 development stopped long ago cause it pretty much is a dead end unless someone wants to spend tons of cash knowing you wont get hardly what you need back from pitiful phone sales.
    People continue to assume BB or a 3rd party would NEVER invest in new drivers. If BB10 is licensed out I would definitely expect to see new drivers as well. I half expect BB to invest in drivers themselves to create autoloaders for the current DTEK devices once they see not everyone wants an android device. I feel its only a matter of time or they will just give up completely.
    11-23-16 08:39 AM
    the hardware in car infotainment systems has improved dramatically over this years with the need for more processing power. They still are about a decade behind mobile phones in performance. you wont see anything well suited for a mobile device used in a car system any time soon.
    11-23-16 08:43 AM
    People continue to assume BB or a 3rd party would NEVER invest in new drivers. If BB10 is licensed out I would definitely expect to see new drivers as well. I half expect BB to invest in drivers themselves to create autoloaders for the current DTEK devices once they see not everyone wants an android device. I feel its only a matter of time or they will just give up completely.
    no one is stupid enough to put that money into bb10. You are correct not everyone wants an android. they have choices of iOS or windows or some other homegrown OS out there, but bb10 isnt going to be an option. The only way they use BB10 is if they have a stock pile of old components lying around or it gets built on cheaper 3rd tier hardware that will only work in certain regions. And no you will not see bb10 autoloaders for the dtek devices either.

yes i know, i am a dream crasher.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-23-16 at 10:27 AM.
    11-23-16 10:04 AM
    Well it's been three years and no one has yet? Not sure what at this point would make it a better proposition for an OEM.

As for the DTEK phones... no you won't see autoloaders to install BB10 - that three different chipsets which means three custom drivers for phones that are already out of production. And yes there is a time table for completely giving up.
    11-23-16 11:34 AM
    But what processors are those?

Back when BlackBerry bought QNX, it was "famed" for running on very simple hardware. While I'm sure that hardware is much more advance these days, especially with a cars infotainment system basically doing most everything that a smartphone does and the move to adding so many sensors and systems to control..... But it probably more along the lines of a desktop hardware set than a smartphone hardware set. I know I read an article on one manufacture and they were working with Nvidia and AMD
    The issue with the cost of drivers isn't the processors themselves. There may be a processor issue if QNX isn't optimized properly for armv8, but the bigger issues with phones is the other things on the SoC, not the processor.
    11-23-16 11:58 AM
    [
    Sorry but the MARKET has spoken and it doesn't need or want BB10.

That's not 100% correct. The market wants 400,000 + units a quarter, which isn't deemed profitable enough to bother making.
    11-23-16 12:26 PM
    'BlackBerry Brand Won't go Missing from the Smartphone Market'-1479925790598.jpg
    11-23-16 12:29 PM
    Hehe BlackBerry means nothing as a brand!
    After PB, BB10 and all the crap chen said...

Posted via CB10
    11-23-16 02:56 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1479925790598.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	412806
    And?

Are you also pinning your hopes on BB's Hub+ subscription fees on Android?
    11-23-16 03:10 PM
    I get why BB are going down the Android route. But seriously, an OS like the secure BB10 not selling in numbers to make a profit is totally beyond me. In a time when security is everything how can this be? Something just don't add up to me. A secure OS should be selling in numbers. So I ask this, is BB 10 really as secure as we are always told it is, is android apple and the other OS too unsecured to be trusted or are they all as good or as bad as each other. I've used a BB since 2000, been through a lot with BB and never had any problems with security. So I trust the OS without question. But I'm not going to move over to android no matter who makes the device. I hate being tied to Google and all the 99% of childish apps that come with it, I don't need all that rubbish. I don't like Apple too Fisher Price for me. And no Windows thanks. Where do I go from here. I would pay twice the price for a BB10 device. My PD P9982 was not cheap. All I want security with no advertising and the odd update from time to time. I still say the BB10 os in the right hands can be successful. My next device will not be main stream that's for sure.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-17 07:44 AM
    I get why BB are going down the Android route. But seriously, an OS like the secure BB10 not selling in numbers to make a profit is totally beyond me. In a time when security is everything how can this be? Something just don't add up to me. A secure OS should be selling in numbers. So I ask this, is BB 10 really as secure as we are always told it is, is android apple and the other OS too unsecured to be trusted or are they all as good or as bad as each other. I've used a BB since 2000, been through a lot with BB and never had any problems with security. So I trust the OS without question. But I'm not going to move over to android no matter who makes the device. I hate being tied to Google and all the 99% of childish apps that come with it, I don't need all that rubbish. I don't like Apple too Fisher Price for me. And no Windows thanks. Where do I go from here. I would pay twice the price for a BB10 device. My PD P9982 was not cheap. All I want security with no advertising and the odd update from time to time. I still say the BB10 os in the right hands can be successful. My next device will not be main stream that's for sure.

Posted via CB10
    Basically, folks on other platforms feel just as safe as you do/did on BB10. There wasn't enough of a marketable advantage for BB10.

Trust me when I say that while we were here high-fiving each other and hollerin' "security" at the top of our lungs, folks on the other, uh, "dangerous" OSes were sleeping very well at night.

The app thing has been discussed to death. Apps make mobile life simpler... see how you used one to post that?

Now that BB10 might not be the vibrant option it once was, you'll have to adapt. Of course, you can stick with BB10; there are several devices that can still be procured.
    04-24-17 07:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    No Android, No Fisher Price and No Windows..... good luck on your next phone purchase.

FYI the problem for most of those that wanted real security (ENTERPRISE), was that BlackBerry could not provide them with the "security" of knowing BlackBerry would be there - which they aren't now. Only a few are actually surprised by their ending BB10.

The other real problem is that the "security" level of iOS and Android in 2009/2010 (when it was decided to create BB10).... has greatly improved over the years. And continues to improve - as they both are very actively being developed for. There is a LOT to be said for an OS that has thousands of developers working on them. And being mainstream means that the 1% of useful apps, can also be found on those.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    04-24-17 08:01 AM
    Enterprise has to fight daily with Users who don't give a rat *** about security. Let say a company has 10k people. There are 100 who is on security/it/mobility that gives a rats ***. Of those, there is 2 admin probably who really gives a rats ***. The other 98 people also wants their apps/convenience.
    User's far out number those like you that thinks BB10 is necessary. They all would rather Uber and Facebook.
    04-24-17 09:26 AM
    Enterprise has to fight daily with Users who don't give a rat *** about security. Let say a company has 10k people. There are 100 who is on security/it/mobility that gives a rats ***. Of those, there is 2 admin probably who really gives a rats ***. The other 98 people also wants their apps/convenience.
    User's far out number those like you that thinks BB10 is necessary. They all would rather Uber and Facebook.
    Why would there be fights at all? Pick a platform, provide MDM solution/devices, and all done. Take it or leave it.

Of course, folks have been able to do this with multiple platforms for quite some time, which arguably further made BB10 a less attractive option. Even BlackBerry started providing services for other platforms.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-24-17 09:44 AM
    The difference is when there is one platform it is easier to support. I am not talking about these days where it is expected and IT has to now already manage all type of devices. BYOD is BYOD because people wanted what I mentioned above. Have to answer user question about their own phone sometimes which has nothing to do with company mobility. Yes these days it is no longer an issue. I am sure most company would rather manage one platform then mdm with 4 different platform. That's why some don't even want to support non iOS/Android and we see people on here not able to add their BB10 to their company BYOD. Same with Windows.
    04-24-17 10:17 AM
    BlackBerry brand won?t go missing from smartphone market: COO | IT Business

'The move also doesn�t mean the death of BlackBerry 10, Pini says. BlackBerry is currently working towards its 10.3.3 release for existing devices and the OS could even see new life in the future.'

Things are just getting different, that's all. The article talks about improvements in advertising being possible this way, too. Whether we get another BB10 device will depend on the market.

At any rate, support for BB10 has NOT ended.
    For years later,support is still going "strong"....

But BB10 and BlackBerry smartphones in general are fading from memory...
    07-01-20 10:35 AM
    For years later,support is still going "strong"....

But BB10 and BlackBerry smartphones in general are fading from memory...
    Somebody is really bored this week
    07-01-20 10:41 AM
    Must be stuck inside or something...

Although, we should be closer to finding Santa's workshop^

^Re. Dunt x3's first response in post #4.
    07-01-20 10:57 AM
    Must be stuck inside or something...

Although, we should be closer to finding Santa's workshop^

^Re. Dunt x3's first response in post #4.
    LMAO
    07-01-20 12:08 PM
    Yep... and nothing going on on CrackBerry.
    07-01-20 01:04 PM
52 123