Someone told me They don't think Blackberry stocks will continue to rise each quarter due to the releasing of Z3 in so many countries. I have never played the stock markets but would like to know how they work (not the price rising/dropping part) as far as buying. I mean if I had 2,000 to invest in stocks, how do I go about it assuming I wanted to invest in BlackBerry or NanHealth. I just picked 2000$ obviously it would be more.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 06:54 PM
    Open an account with a broker, most major banks have brokers that can set you up. Move money into your brokerage account.

Then place an order for blackberry stock by ordering as many stock units as you choose to. Each stock is represented by an exchange
    (for example "New York Stock Exchange", NASDAQ, Toronto Stock exchange etc...) as well as the name of the stock in the exchange (also referred to as "ticker symbol"). For example, in the US on the NASDAQ, the ticker symbol for Blackberry is "BBRY". In the Toronto stock exchange the symbol is "BB".

So you place an order to buy 200 share of BBRY in your account. That will cost you 200*(stock price) + commission for the broker (usually anywhere between 10-30 bucks). Once the purchase is complete, you are the registered owner of 200 shares of blackberry.
    06-23-14 07:19 PM
    The first lesson is to assume that it is already lost and you will never see that money again. IOW, if you can't afford to lose it, don't invest it!
    StephanieMaks and BCITMike like this.
    06-23-14 07:19 PM
    Cool thanks. I will look into it more with the bank. And yes I realize you have to consider that money gone. And I just used BlackBerry as an example. I don't expect to ever be rich but I also don't like the idea of waiting 20 years for long term investments to pay of or not.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 07:47 PM
    Jesus. $10.12 for BlackBerry? That's a decent jump

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 11:25 PM
    Moved to the BBRY forum.
    06-23-14 11:28 PM
    You can set up an account completely online and fund it through an electronic money transfer from a bank account. It's pretty straight-forward. You won't be able to start trading immediately though, as it might take a few days for the money to be available. Just keep that in mind if you're looking to make a trade right away.
    06-23-14 11:41 PM
    Where online? Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 12:32 AM
    BBRY is probably still a solid pick in the medium term; but, I think the big immediate (7%+) gains are finished. Several days too late. Depending on the aggressiveness of your investment strategy, you might or might not look into other stocks until the next earnings report appears.

In terms of the long term outlook for Blackberry, I do believe that the company may have bottomed and the worst may be over in that there is no reason to suspect BBRY will not just up and bankrupt. This does not, however, imply the success of BB10 and the revenue outlook remains bleak.

My skepticism is whether BBRY will actually reemerge as a company worth 10 USD a share. This is reliant on the company's profits and the company has yet to pull back into the green so we don't know if there will be a $100 party or the stock will settle at less than what it is actually trading at.
    06-24-14 01:27 AM
    What's sad is if I buy 3, 000 worth of stocks now and sit on them until I save more to buy, they could be a lot more expensive. Wish I had at least 5/10k to just dump right now so I can avoid paying 13-14 a share later. I have faith they can reach that by Jan 2015.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 02:42 AM
    Right now is not a good time to buy, unfortunately you missed the bump from the wave of recent good news. The stock will remain relatively stable until the next earnings report, after the release of the Passport and Z3 in multiple markets. So its okay that you don't have the money right now, you have 3 months to make it up!

As for how to invest, if you are in Canada, you should look into TFSA's (tax-free savings accounts). They're called this because you pay no taxes for any gains you make in this account. I'm with CIBC and use their TFSA-Investors Edge account. Its only $6.95 per trade.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    06-24-14 03:23 AM
    I had a TFSA with CIBC 2 years ago. Didn't know about the investors edge thing. I'll look at it and try to understand.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 03:33 AM
    Go into any branch and talk to an advisor. The investors edge thing is a separate entity so they may not know all the details, what they can help you with is filling out the correct paperwork to open you an account. You can transfer all of your existing TFSA monies into the investors edge TFSA and then make trades with that.

Trades are made either by phone with a broker from CIBC Investors Edge, or you can do it yourself online using the personal banking website. Its actually really simple once you have done the paperwork to open the account and transferred money into it.

Also the $6.95 per trade rate is a special rate. I think its only given if you hold a loan worth over $100,0000 with them (line of credit or mortgage) or if your bank accounts are worth over $50,000 with them. Not sure exactly. Otherwise it is $9.95 per trade.. still pretty cheap.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 05:07 PM
    If you just want to do a little bit of trading it is simple enough to open up something like a Qtrade account.

You just fill out the form and send them a cheque with your initial deposit, trades are then done on commission.
    06-24-14 05:24 PM
    Where online? Any ideas?
    In the U.S., there's etrade, Scottrade, Merrill Lynch, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, etc...
    06-24-14 05:54 PM
    Sharebuilder.com is the easy one to just sign up and add money. No requirements, monthly fees. 7 bucks a trade. Very simple. If you want to call someone and talk to them and hope they care about you then the above examples might be a place to start.

Or you can just go to sharebuilder and sign up at an online forum where professionals are and voice your opinions there.
    06-30-14 07:22 PM