I know very little about stocks and why they rise and fall but I know that it represents how well a company is doing. I was wondering why BlackBerry's stock has been rising so rapidly the past two days and is now above 8$
    01-07-14 09:14 AM
    The market is very volatile, to say the least. Right now they reacted very positively to Chen and the Foxconn deal, it seems.

Here is a good subforum for you, if you're interested in the stock market. Invest, if you do, at your own discretion.

BBRY - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    01-07-14 09:36 AM
    That forum is really the be all end all here of stock discussion. you have many sides that have been very vocal. I am also moving this to the BBRY forum for better eyes on it.
    01-07-14 09:38 AM
    well, it is 8.4 NOW. and rising
    01-07-14 09:39 AM
    I know very little about stocks and why they rise and fall but I know that it represents how well a company is doing. I was wondering why BlackBerry's stock has been rising so rapidly the past two days and is now above 8$
    It represents the investors' perception of how the company is doing, not actual performance. Only financial statements show actual performance.
    01-07-14 09:45 AM
    True sorry my wording was bad. But what I'm wondering is what has happened in the past couple of days to make people's thoughts about blackberry be so much more positive
    01-07-14 10:36 AM
    True sorry my wording was bad. But what I'm wondering is what has happened in the past couple of days to make people's thoughts about blackberry be so much more positive
    New leadership and new focus? But, it's only a guess.
    01-07-14 10:58 AM
    I have the same question. Nothing new that I can see. John Chen, Foxconn, et al is "old" news by now.

My guess is either something is about to break and there is some insider trading going on or short sellers getting squeezed which drives the price up as they buy to cover their positions. But just a wild guess.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 11:37 AM
    Most seasoned investors would say that by the time you read about events in the news, the stock price already reflects that information. Most likely the price increase of BBRY reflects information that isn't in the public domain yet.

By the way, investing news is filled with explanations for stock price changes that have already happened. They could just as easily explain it if it went the other way.
    01-07-14 11:38 AM
    I have long thought about buying some BB stock, now doesn't appear to be the time to buy though.
    01-07-14 11:49 AM
    Recent news that might have driven the stock up...

- lawsuit with Typo, which reminds people of BlackBerry's patent portfolio
    - devices and emerging tech head announced
    - reiteration that BlackBerry going back to its roots
    - Chen now CEO, not interm-CEO
    - QNX at CES

It's **very difficult** to "time" (buy/sell at the best moment) The Market. Those that got in on Dec. 9th, when BBRY was at $5.75 and got out at today's high so far, $8.58, would have made 41% profit. Again, it's impossible to know what announcements are made in advance and how The Market will react to it.
    21stNow likes this.
    01-07-14 12:18 PM