I was in on Air Canada at about $2 but sold too early since I was just happy to make my money back after having seen the share price go down to 70 cents only 18 months ago. I've got shares in Dragonwave and am down about 60%...about as bad as BlackBerry but still hoping.

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    I missed out on the AC stock... remember seeing it for $1 not too long ago !! but wasn't into trading at that time.

Does anyone see any other potential picks that are bound to take off ?
    StormieTwo likes this.
    01-26-15 10:40 AM
    On the TSX, look at HOU and HOD.
    They are ETFs based on the price of oil with high beta levels. If you would have bought HOD in the fall you would be sitting very happy today.
    The media is saying that oil could continue to fall for the first half of the year as production is still exceeding demand.

I've been watching HOV slide lower and am looking for an entry point.

BB10 4 ME
    01-26-15 02:38 PM
    On the TSX, look at HOU and HOD.
    They are ETFs based on the price of oil with high beta levels. If you would have bought HOD in the fall you would be sitting very happy today.
    The media is saying that oil could continue to fall for the first half of the year as production is still exceeding demand.

I've been watching HOV slide lower and am looking for an entry point.

BB10 4 ME
    HOU looks good (based on previous potential). How low do you think it will go?

They both seem to have similar holdings.... why the big difference between the two?

Someone I knew would mention HNU every time I mentioned some news on BB...lol
    now I know why !
    Do you think HNU is a good bet now?
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 01-26-15 at 04:10 PM.
    01-26-15 03:57 PM
    HOU looks good (based on previous potential). How low do you think it will go?

They both seem to have similar holdings.... why the big difference between the two?

HOU = Horizons BetaPro Oil Bull - replicates twice the daily performance of light sweet crude
    HOD = Horizons Beta Oil Bear - replicates twice the inverse performance of light sweet crude

Someone I knew would mention HNU every time I mentioned some news on BB...lol
    now I know why !
    Do you think HNU is a good bet now?

NHU = Horizons BetaPro Nat Gas Bull - similar to above but for natural gas.
    NHD = Horizons BetaPro Nat Gas Bear

So lets look at some 6 month charts
    HOUBBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-hou-6mon-20150126.png
    HODBBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-hod-6mon-20150126.png
    You can see that HOU is mimicking the spot price of Brent or WTI crude while the bear EFT is reaching higher highs.

HNUBBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-hnu-6mon-20150126.png
    HNDBBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-hnd-6mon-20150126.png
    Similar thing.

I guess the thing to do is swing trade between the two related funds. If you expect the price of Oil to keep dropping, (it seems to have paused to catch its breath over the last couple of weeks) then you'd put your money into the bear fund and watch for the turn around. I mentioned in the other thread that oil briefly got into the $30/brl range during the last market meltdown (but that was not a supply/demand issue.

You would need to move your money into the bull fund when the price starts to rebound or you would loss all of your gains.

For natural gas - rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 01-26-15 at 06:58 PM.
    BACK-2-BLACK and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-26-15 06:41 PM
    For those interested in Electric Vehicles:

Investorideas.com Newswire - Oil Price Hits Electric Vehicle Sales?
    awindsr likes this.
    01-27-15 06:37 AM
    Canadian Solar is listed on the nasdaq CSIQ
    BBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-cndslr-6mon-20150129.png
    CSIQ is currently below its 14, 50 and 200 dma, and near its 52 week low when RSI dipped below 30.
    The Company has a book value of $7.56 and a very low P/E of 6.4 the last EPS was $3.09
    they have been gaining markets share this year but have a high debt load.
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 01-29-15 at 02:05 PM.
    01-29-15 01:04 PM
    Uranium Participation Corporation is listed on the TSX: U
    BBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-u-6mon-20150129.png
    It's currently above its 14, 50 and 200 dma, but its 52 range is between 4.72-5.99.
    The Company has a book value of $5.15, a P/E of 6.1 and EPS ~$0.88
    they have been gaining markets share this year and have no debt load.
    01-29-15 02:05 PM
    Mmm, let's see if anyone reads this thread.

What's your view on purchasing a stock vs purchasing the index that the stock belongs in for buy-and-hold investors.

For example, ECA vs XEG, or HALO vs IBB ?

Yes, you don't get the massive % increase if you pick a homerun, but you also don't get a massive % hit if one stock is hit by bad news.
    My belief is that if you don't have the time/ability to do a full due diligence on the individual equities you hold (or want to hold) then buy an index instead.

Using an index ETF as opposed to a mutual fund index can save a significant amount from MERs as well. Worth a look.

Posted via CB10
    StormieTwo and bungaboy like this.
    01-29-15 02:54 PM
    01-30-15 05:27 AM
    Mmm, let's see if anyone reads this thread.

What's your view on purchasing a stock vs purchasing the index that the stock belongs in for buy-and-hold investors.

For example, ECA vs XEG, or HALO vs IBB ?

Yes, you don't get the massive % increase if you pick a homerun, but you also don't get a massive % hit if one stock is hit by bad news.
    My belief is that if you don't have the time/ability to do a full due diligence on the individual equities you hold (or want to hold) then buy an index instead.

Using an index ETF as opposed to a mutual fund index can save a significant amount from MERs as well. Worth a look.

Posted via CB10
    To add to Dusdal's comments, if you wanted exposure to the Biotech Industry as a whole, consider splitting your investment between XBI and IBB. XBI gets you greater exposure to the mid-cap and small cap biotech stocks while IBB gets you exposure mostly to the large cap and some mid-cap biotech stocks. The main downside is that both ETFs are pricey. XBI is floating around $200 while IBB is around $320.

HALO is represented inside XBI.
    dusdal, StormieTwo, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    01-30-15 03:51 PM
    Excellent article! I have been plying both sides of the oil spectrum as well but on UWTI and DWTI, as well as in natural gas on UGAZ and DGAZ.

Great way to make extra money (day trading with tight stops) to use proceeds for other longer term plays. I've moved away from TSX trading to Nasdaq before the USD started gaining against the CDN and have been rewarded with a nice premium of over 20% due to the exchange rate.

When the time is right I'll start slowly moving back some of my US positions to TSX and will look towards playing HOU.TO and HOD.to

Nice to see some familiar names from the other great thread "I support BBRY and I buy shares!"

Cheers!

Posted via Money making BlackBerry Passport!
    StormieTwo likes this.
    01-30-15 09:52 PM
    Some good points and suggestions.

ETFs are a good idea, being that I don't fully understand how equities work ... the question is which ones to start with.

This thread is great, I'm glad I found it (and found you guys) so I hope to learn and pick up as much as possible.

So far, on my radar:

HOU
    HNU
    SPHS
    PSDV

These are in my price range.

The other Bio ETFs that BanffMoose are too pricey for me at the moment. (although they seem like a good idea)

Hopefully there is mention of some cheap, potential, fliers!
    01-31-15 09:17 AM
    Hi all,

What is your take on BP?

Is ripe for the picking?
    01-31-15 05:51 PM
    Hi all,

What is your take on BP?

Is ripe for the picking?
    I'm not ready to jump into oil or natural gaz on a long term bases just yet. Both are still in oversupply territory. I like to trade them on the daily bases as I don't like to be caught with my pants down.

Example:
    UGAZ and UWTI last Thursday dropped about 20% but I had my tight stops set so it sold without me loosing any money. Than I picked them back up real cheap and sold them by end of day. Picked them up next morning and sold them all by end of day. Both times at a nice premium. I also play the opposite spectrum for NG on DGAZ to cover myself. You can make pretty good money doing this. Rinse and repeat

This is how I pick up extra money for my long term plays such us BBRY, HALO, PSDV, MNKD, ZGNX, PTK, SPHS and few others.

Until I'm certain the oil and/or NG is in recovery I'm not going long. Cheers!

Posted via Money making BlackBerry Passport!
    StormieTwo and 3MIKE like this.
    01-31-15 07:56 PM
    I bought a bunch of Chartwell CSH.UN on theTSE- It's been a year of steady growth. I needed a safe REIT to offset the Blackberry roller coaster.

I'm not saying it's a safe bet. I'm just saying a don't really feel like I have to worry about it. Kinda set it and forget it. Plus I hear good things about management.
    02-05-15 05:07 PM
    OT as not so much as investment information, but more as one of the many elements affected by geo-politics on General Investments:

BBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-world-oil-graph.jpg
    Cheaper oil: Winners and losers | The Economist
    3MIKE, bungaboy, wojciechp and 1 others like this.
    02-24-15 01:31 PM
    Jan 29, 2015 post.
    Canadian Solar is listed on the nasdaq CSIQ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CndSlr 6mon 20150129.png 
Views:	1695 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	330505
    CSIQ is currently below its 14, 50 and 200 dma, and near its 52 week low when RSI dipped below 30.
    The Company has a book value of $7.56 and a very low P/E of 6.4 the last EPS was $3.09
    they have been gaining markets share this year but have a high debt load.
    Update on CSIQ (NASDAQ)

BBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-csiq-6mon-20150501.png
    CSIQ - renewable energy [2015-04-03]

TA
    6 month chart shows a bull reversal after latest quarterly earning report.
    3 months follow QR momentum play with RSI continually above 50.
    monthly changes of 15%, 13% and 6% indicate decelerating price apreciation.
    MA50 is above MA200 but below close.

FA
    low P/E ratio (8.93) compared to peers (27.0) due to high earning in the last twelve months. A turn from strictly solar panel production to solar panel installation and power production projects may be the catalyst.
    high ROE (43.26%) for Misc. Fabricated Products industry. Breaking down the ROE, CSIQ
    has a profit margin of 8.22%, an asset turnover of 107.15 and leverage of 4.29.

EPS growth at CSIQ is improving and is above the industry average. The most recent EPS
    was $4.06.
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 05-03-15 at 11:17 AM.
    05-03-15 11:02 AM
    POET (TSXV) - Highly Speculative [2015-05-03]

BBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-poet-6mon-20150501.png
    T.A.
    6 month chart indicates a rising channel with higher lows and 5-7 week cycletime with 2-3 week from trough to peak.
    Current support at ~1.51CAD and current resistance at ~1.82 with overbought levels of 2.00CAD.
    MA50 is above MA200 and above close.

F.A.
    Disruptive technology - lower power consumption, higher processing speed, lower production costs then current silicon based Tech.
    Fits nicely into IOT paradigm where low power requirements and low production costs will dominate the field. (It's one thing to charge your phone every night, but its a completely different thing to charge thousands of tracking devices on shipping containers at sea or on a train for months or weeks at a time.)
    BOD is making strategic moves in Silicon Valley and has recently partnered with a foundry to begin fabrication of 3" wafers with intentions to move to standard 6" wafers as the process matures.
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 05-03-15 at 11:18 AM.
    3MIKE and cjcampbell like this.
    05-03-15 11:07 AM
    Thanks for the updates Stormie. I've been playing with solars for a little while now. Haven't found an entry into Canadian Solar yet. Currently playing the Solar 3D roller-coaster and a bit of Solar City.

I'll do a bit more DD on CSIQ!

Posted via CB10
    StormieTwo likes this.
    05-03-15 12:48 PM
    From 2015-01-29
    Uranium Participation Corporation is listed on the TSX: U

Name:	U 6mon 20150129.png 
Views:	1930 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	330514
    It's currently above its 14, 50 and 200 dma, but its 52 range is between 4.72-5.99.
    The Company has a book value of $5.15, a P/E of 6.1 and EPS ~$0.88
    they have been gaining markets share this year and have no debt load.
    BBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-u-6mon-20150403.png
    TA
    After the spike at the end of 2014 the share price has settled into bullish trend.
    Support is above the MA200 at ~5.45CAD, resistance is ~5.70CAD.
    MA50 is above MA200 and above last trade.

FA
    A drive by Germany to replace nuclear with renewable will be a drag on the SP but with renewed interest in Nuclear Power for India and China I expect UPC to hit higher highs over the remainder of the year.
    05-03-15 01:11 PM
    CSIQ seems to be near the bottom of the channel. I expect a 0.20 - 0.30CAD (3.5-5.5%) increase over the next 2-3 weeks depending on whether it breaks through resistance. if it can break through resistance I would expect a new 52 week high.
    05-03-15 01:14 PM
    from Jan 26, 2015
    HODClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HOD 6mon 20150126.png 
Views:	1864 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	329874
    BBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-hod-6mon-20150503.png
    HOD [TSX]

TA
    last price is near MA200 (8.10CAD) which looks to be a support level.
    resistance is ~15.00CAD. RSI is in the low 30s, suggesting the ETF is approaching oversold territory as the SP approaches the MA200.

FA
    Reduced rig counts have alleviated oversupply as storage levels continue to rise. We are not near maximum capacity yet but we are at very high levels historically speaking and are reaching levels of maximum working capacity.

Capped wells will need to be brought into service though as the prospect of abandoning them is not an appetizing option due to the cost involved.

Refining crude to increase gasoline supply for the summer driving season will help with supply levels. Sales of less fuel efficient vehicles (trucks) have increased with the fall of gas prices which could also help burn off some of the over-supply.

If OPEC does not reduce supply or non-OPEC nations (like Russia) increase supply to try to capture market share and alleviate internal budgetary pressure we could see oil drop hard.

Watch closely.
    CDM76, bungaboy and 3MIKE like this.
    05-03-15 04:51 PM
    from Jan 26, 2015

Name:	HOD 6mon 20150503.PNG 
Views:	1187 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	350877
    HOD [TSX]

TA
    last price is near MA200 (8.10CAD) which looks to be a support level.
    resistance is ~15.00CAD. RSI is in the low 30s, suggesting the ETF is approaching oversold territory as the SP approaches the MA200.

FA
    Reduced rig counts have alleviated oversupply as storage levels continue to rise. We are not near maximum capacity yet but we are at very high levels historically speaking and are reaching levels of maximum working capacity.

Capped wells will need to be brought into service though as the prospect of abandoning them is not an appetizing option due to the cost involved.

Refining crude to increase gasoline supply for the summer driving season will help with supply levels. Sales of less fuel efficient vehicles (trucks) have increased with the fall of gas prices which could also help burn off some of the over-supply.

If OPEC does not reduce supply or non-OPEC nations (like Russia) increase supply to try to capture market share and alleviate internal budgetary pressure we could see oil drop hard.

Watch closely.
    I would stay far, far away from HOU/HOD unless you are very well aware of the risks involved with a leveraged oil ETF. Look at the longer term chart of both and you'll see how contango will destroy any long term investment. These are meant for short term trades only; these are not buy and hold.
    StormieTwo likes this.
    05-04-15 07:47 AM
    OT regarding Elon Musk making his recent speech on the TESLA batteries. Being someone who has been involved in the technical aspects of energy (including storage) most of my life, I tend to possibly be more severe in my evaluation of contents of the presentation referred in the Verge article. The subject will become increasingly important for everyone exposed to energy and protection of the environment (which is most of us), but what was presented was only a portion of a solution and probably a first of many steps to provide interesting technical options. And separately for presentation skills, he is like many that provides room for improvement. I am sure that over time we will observe many improvements on both areas. Lots of potential to be developed and looking forward to innovative ways to address world wide problems and helping our global environment and its wide financial implications.

Watch Elon Musk announce Tesla Energy in the best tech keynote I've ever seen | The Verge
    3MIKE likes this.
    05-04-15 03:47 PM
    BCE trades on NYSE and TSX

BBRY stock holders and other Stocks diversification-bce-12mon-20150504.png
    TA
    after a great run-up in 2011-2013 the SP has become volatile and the RSI might now be a good indicator of buy/sell opportunities for the foreseeable future. BCE hit an RSI of 70 on the 29th of April and promptly moved down.
    I've picked 41USD as the support and 46.50USD as resistance until we hear news or get the net QR (2015/8/5).

FA
    Though EPS growth at BCE is improving, it is still below the industry average. The most recent EPS was $2.45, an increase of 17.34% over the previous year.
    Investors have average growth expectations for BCE given its PE ratio of 18.07, near the Integrated Telecommunications Services industry average of 26.57. Analysts have a negative view of the company's future prospects with a forward PE ratio of 17.73.
    BCE has one of the highest ROEs of all companies in the Communications Services industry. Breaking down the ROE, BCE has a profit margin of 12.92%, an asset turnover of 45.90 and leverage of 3.10.
    BCE has a dividend yield of 4.86%, inline with the Integrated Telecommunications Services industry average.
    BCE has been able to gain market share by growing revenues faster than the industry average. This trend continues from the previous year when revenue growth at BCE and the Integrated Telecommunications Services industry were 2.71% and 2.21%, respectively.
    RBC Capital just upgraded BCE to outperform based on BCE beating the street estimate of $0.79/share by $0.05 in Q12015 (2015/4/30).
    05-04-15 07:06 PM
517 1234 ...