The unfortunate truth is, that if BBRY gets sold or in some other way is perceived to close shop, third party support, apps, etc. will disappear real quick. Most of developers will cease development of apps and updates as soon as possible to pivot and decide where they should take their apps and skills instead.
    This, I think, is the most immediate concern for end users. Even with just yesterday's news, I'd expect some developers to be a little less likely to work on BB10 apps today.

In another thread I mentioned some email correspondence I had with an app developer. I liked his app, which is in beta, and asked how it was coming along. He said he hadn't really done much with it because he needed to focus on his Android apps, because he needs to provide for his family. He likes programming for BB10 but he can't really justify taking time away from the Android projects that pay his bills.

This was over a week ago. I doubt very much that recent developments have done anything to change his mind. I also doubt that his situation is all that unusual.

Uncertainty is toxic, both to consumers and developers. Of the four platforms, BlackBerry is now officially the one whose future is the most uncertain. WP may not be growing very fast, but nobody doubts the ability of Microsoft to hang in there.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-13-13 08:39 AM
    Yup. Not a very good track record. Just look at how they threw the Playbook owners under the bus.
    And those guys were their most loyal fans, evangelizing, setting up in store displays, and preaching to everyone who would listen (and to a lot of people who didn't want to) about what an awesome and superior device the Playbook, eh, was.

The unfortunate thing with not just developer support but also corporate adoption is how quickly it can evaporate, if the parent company is percieved as weak.

Obviously there's no reason why your Z10 won't serve you excellently for the next 3-4 years even if BBRY disappeared tomorrow.

In reality however, no company (and many regular customers) would take on a phone who doesn't have a manufacturer supporting it.

In fact, the very fact that BBRYs future is somewhat uncertain holds a lot of corporate clients back, which is why we see many corporate BBRY customers switch to iPhones. It's a negative feedback loop that BBRY needs to break out of.
    08-13-13 08:42 AM
    Had to happen. Competition ( Android and apple) has taken a toll on it.

Even Nokia facing nightmares. And now rising up to competition Nokia providing high end features in low end devices like Lumia 520 and 620.

Google and Samsung, apart from selling high end phones, are selling very upgraded ( software wise) tablets also at budget rates. Android has defined the new paradigm.

One has to please and enter low end customers also to remain in the industry. Neither did BlackBerry updated the playbook nor did they please and enter the low end segment = fail.
    08-13-13 10:15 AM
    Yes, this does appear to be the reason, though a partnership would be helpful. I just cant see who would partner with them at this point. What benefit would they have to partnering?
    Access to a slew of patients perhaps?
    08-14-13 12:19 AM
    Access to a slew of patients perhaps?
    A big chunk of their patents are shared with Apple and others aren't they?
    08-14-13 03:17 AM
    08-14-13 05:34 AM
    More misinformation. WSJ says the for sale sign is already up too. Simply not true. Unbelievable what these people get away with under the auspices of freedom of the press.
    08-14-13 07:01 AM
    More misinformation. WSJ says the for sale sign is already up too. Simply not true. Unbelievable what these people get away with under the auspices of freedom of the press.
    Sorry, but do you have some evidence that this is not true?
    08-14-13 07:45 AM
    the press release from BlackBerry said

These alternatives could include, among others, possible joint ventures, strategic partnerships or alliances, a sale of the Company or other possible transactions. (emphasis is added by me)
    so yes they have said simply put that a sale is an option. no disputing that one im afraid.
    08-14-13 07:58 AM
    Old news. Of course the for sale is up.
    Whether it is taken private or sold, the company is up for grabs.

Unbelievable what people will make up based on what they want to believe is true.
    08-14-13 08:01 AM
    This, I think, is the most immediate concern for end users. Even with just yesterday's news, I'd expect some developers to be a little less likely to work on BB10 apps today.

In another thread I mentioned some email correspondence I had with an app developer. I liked his app, which is in beta, and asked how it was coming along. He said he hadn't really done much with it because he needed to focus on his Android apps, because he needs to provide for his family. He likes programming for BB10 but he can't really justify taking time away from the Android projects that pay his bills.

This was over a week ago. I doubt very much that recent developments have done anything to change his mind. I also doubt that his situation is all that unusual.

Uncertainty is toxic, both to consumers and developers. Of the four platforms, BlackBerry is now officially the one whose future is the most uncertain. WP may not be growing very fast, but nobody doubts the ability of Microsoft to hang in there.
    Finally a sensible and reasonable person whom knows what he is talking about instead of all these posts that remind me of teenage girls and boys going crazy for there pop star idols .Sensible mature people know and understand whats going on. On another note , HTC hired Iron Man Robert downey Jr for $12 Million of there reported $1Billion add campaign to promote HTC. I shake my head and think how all the BB users think No one is making money on Android. This line from Ubizmo post kinda says it best ....................
    " . He said he hadn't really done much with it because he needed to focus on his Android apps, because he needs to provide for his family. "
    And there you have it folks. No crystal ball needed. Just open your eyes.
    08-14-13 09:04 AM
    IF you were a network admin looking for new smartphones for your company, would you recommend BBRY today? I think the uncertainty has to hurt them.
    I am. The answer is no. We like so many Businesses today have a BYOD policy. BES was costing the Company $$ and today they just do not see the need for it .
    08-14-13 09:11 AM
    the press release from BlackBerry said

so yes they have said simply put that a sale is an option. no disputing that one im afraid.
    One option. Of several that they've been talking about for well over a year. But the bottom line is, at this time, despite reports to the contrary, the company is not for sale.
    08-14-13 09:22 AM
    Your opinion, clearly not shared by others.

The company is in play. The past years talking has lead nowhere.
    08-14-13 09:27 AM
    Not going bust today, but it will be a hard sell to convince enterprise to use BlackBerry as a viable mobile solution.

Enterprise and feds won't take the risk.
    Maybe they should have been paying closer attention--this is hardly new news, BlackBerry has stated for a long while it's open to strategic partnerships. What's new about it is they actually took some action in forming a committee to investigate it. The writing has been on the wall for a lot longer than the announcement of the committee.
    08-14-13 10:56 AM
    One option. Of several that they've been talking about for well over a year. But the bottom line is, at this time, despite reports to the contrary, the company is not for sale.
    yup, that's why I said it was an option, and also why I quote the whole sentence to show their other options. doesn't bely the fact though that by saying a sale is an option, they have be it covertly or outwardly acknowledged that it would consider a offer, meaning it IS for sale, its not in the `we are seeking solely a sale` category, but life isn't that black and white.
    08-14-13 11:40 AM
    And another MDM solution does not cost money?? All MDM providers will cost you money.

A lot of MDM solution providers now offer support for BB7 and BB10 devices. The real threat to BES10 right now is the uncertainty. IF BB10 deivces don't sell due to this cloud over BB, then BES10 can become irrelevant very quickly. BB has to move fast in reviewing its strategic options or already tepid demand for BB10 will dry up very quickly.

I am. The answer is no. We like so many Businesses today have a BYOD policy. BES was costing the Company $$ and today they just do not see the need for it .
    08-14-13 11:55 AM
117 ... 345